Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They got rid of the lower level with the patrolling toad after the first boss in Dzemael Darkhold which is THE WORST. How do we get randos punted down there, taking a lot of fall damage and aggroing a few friends now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Cleared the Omega raid tier and why do I pity this poor machine so much, also Alpha is a brave and strong boy. Nero still best character.

Ivalice raid bosses are lit, did the 2nd raid. Pushing MSQ and 4.Hildy now. I'm omnicrafter 75 help I can't stop.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

orcane posted:

They got rid of the lower level with the patrolling toad after the first boss in Dzemael Darkhold which is THE WORST. How do we get randos punted down there, taking a lot of fall damage and aggroing a few friends now?

I'm disappointed they got rid of terrible pull areas. The large room in Stone Vigil. The whole pond section in Brayflox. Like i was tanking it for my first run and getting ready to hug the right side AND LO AND BEHOLD ITS GONE AND THERE'S ONLY 9 MOBS FOR THAT WHOLE SECTION.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I do think Nu-Totorak is kind of souless, but then the original was poo poo on many levels.

It is weird they overhauled the progression of the dungeon, but didn't really touch the bosses. Nu-Copperbell's bosses are fantastic and I know the bosses were Copperbell's main problem while Totorak had other issues, but it's weird that they barely did anything to them.

Griz
May 21, 2001

orcane posted:

It's only a minor change, when the boss takes flight the 2nd time it used to spawn AoE circles under players, which persisted for a while while it did the flyby covering 1/3 of the arena twice. Now it's just AoE damage, no persistent freeze zones.

did they fix the colors or is it still a white divebomb marker on a white floor?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
never in my life did i think id see people singing the praises of tot rak but i guess rose tinted goggles can kick in after only a week

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There are different aspects to that discussion, I think people acknowledge that vanilla Totorak was more interesting as a place (the alternative routes and pointless side rooms added to the feeling of it being an actual place in the game world, not just a corridor to repeatedly run through in 10-15 minutes) but they can also conclude that it was somewhat unfun to actually play more than once (requirement to track down/not miss the magitek photocells you pass, there's basically no mob variety, all the corridors look the same, the first two bosses are just scaled up trash mobs, there's zero point to explore the alternative paths and the side rooms in the same run, the slowing goop and spider webs are just an unnecessary annoyance and don't add anything fun). New Totorak removes some of the parts that made it unfun, but it also feels much less interesting as a place now if one cares about that.

Before 6.1, it was a better lowbie dungeon than Copperbell though, because at least you could run it in slightly above 10 minutes (despite the goop) because bosses didn't rely on invulnerability and timed gimmicks.

Griz posted:

did they fix the colors or is it still a white divebomb marker on a white floor?
I only got it once in roulette so far, but I think it's still the same color (white breath on white/light blue floor :v:).

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 25, 2022

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
PVP is really fun now, and I intend to play more of it until such time as they pry the WHM LB from my cold, dead, healerless fingers because there's got to be nerfs incoming... But until then, if you line the AOE right up into an enemy ball you can ding 100 fever within a few minutes of Frontlines starting and you can pretend like you're bowling for lalafell.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

coolusername posted:

until such time as they pry the WHM LB from my cold, dead, healerless fingers because there's got to be nerfs incoming
which might happen as soon as tomorrow

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Doomykins posted:

Cleared the Omega raid tier and why do I pity this poor machine so much, also Alpha is a brave and strong boy. Nero still best character.

Ivalice raid bosses are lit, did the 2nd raid. Pushing MSQ and 4.Hildy now. I'm omnicrafter 75 help I can't stop.

FFXIV is really good at making you feeling bad for homicidal maniacs

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They really should have replaced one or both of the Coeurl O' Nine Tails in Neo Toto Rak.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm going to miss sub-10 minute totorak runs but I'm not going to miss having to wrangle the camera in the tunnels.

It's more aesthetically atmospheric now, at least. In a way that seems deliberate and not just a rushed holdover from 1.0's design.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
How do people target enemies in PVP, especially CC? Tab targeting usually doesn't work for me because it never seems to target what I want it to. I'm wondering if F1-F5 keys would work better instead.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Get Innocuous! posted:

How do people target enemies in PVP, especially CC? Tab targeting usually doesn't work for me because it never seems to target what I want it to. I'm wondering if F1-F5 keys would work better instead.

I click on names in the enemy list. I also bind Target Closest to a mouse button.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Get Innocuous! posted:

I would also like to know this. I use tab target because I can't keep up with clicking on people mid-battle but it's very unreliable, especially in team fights

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I have 'target closest enemy' bound to Q, so I can snap between the closest enemy to me and tabbing through the rest.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

coolusername posted:

PVP is really fun now, and I intend to play more of it until such time as they pry the WHM LB from my cold, dead, healerless fingers because there's got to be nerfs incoming... But until then, if you line the AOE right up into an enemy ball you can ding 100 fever within a few minutes of Frontlines starting and you can pretend like you're bowling for lalafell.

New PVP is great. There are some minor imbalances, but they did a drat fine job with the remake.

For targeting I either click people with my mouse, or hit escape and let the autotarget gods decide who is about to get silenced.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Thanks folks, I'll try binding a "target closest enemy" key. Clicking can be difficult for me because I'm always losing track of where my mouse is during the chaos of teamfights.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Halatali has always been a more annoying dungeon than Totorak, and now Coppbell is fixed it's the reigning champion bad early dungeon

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

ARR: Done :toot:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I did mentor roulette yesterday and got porta decumana

the time is now

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I play the game by mostly clicking on things, so don't mind me my advice has always been a bit odd. I only will hit 1-4 with my left hand. I do everything else with the mouse. Sometimes I'll even click my 1-4 with the mouse and just use my left hand for movement. Since I'm tanking more often than not these days, I can play the game entirely right handed when I'm being assaulted by my cat or something in short spurts.

Years ago during heavensward raiding my buddy noz watched a stream I set up for him, and he said I looked like a starcraft player clicking all over the place and constantly adjusting my camera.

Up until recently I've just used regular computer mice. I destroy the left click on them annually. I bought a "gaming" mouse with two extra buttons. It's ok. I've got holmgang and bloodwhetting bound to the extras.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I play the game by mostly clicking on things, so don't mind me my advice has always been a bit odd. I only will hit 1-4 with my left hand. I do everything else with the mouse. Sometimes I'll even click my 1-4 with the mouse and just use my left hand for movement. Since I'm tanking more often than not these days, I can play the game entirely right handed when I'm being assaulted by my cat or something in short spurts.

Years ago during heavensward raiding my buddy noz watched a stream I set up for him, and he said I looked like a starcraft player clicking all over the place and constantly adjusting my camera.

Up until recently I've just used regular computer mice. I destroy the left click on them annually. I bought a "gaming" mouse with two extra buttons. It's ok. I've got holmgang and bloodwhetting bound to the extras.

This is horrifying

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
new PvP is really bad, now every time I log in I have to basically do everything I can to force myself not to hit the Crystalline Conflict button now :(

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I really need to get around to unlocking /determined at least.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mainwaring posted:

This is horrifying

I'm pretty good at the game, too.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can tell me all about how reworked totorak is, I'll still never do leveling roulette for the explicit purpose of never having the chance to end up in there again.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

when I was researching RDM vids for TEA there was one clear vid of an rdm that played entirely by clicking their skills

pretty sure they're one of the top parsers for that fight too so the takeaway is Play However You Want

e: behold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfnTsyEV5QQ

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 25, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Leal posted:

You can tell me all about how reworked totorak is, I'll still never do leveling roulette for the explicit purpose of never having the chance to end up in there again.

If you don't have everything at 90, you're leaving a lot of exp on the table. If you do have everything at 90, yeah, I don't blame you.

Also get four friends together and avoid it by using limited leveling roulette!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Nu PvP has sucked up all energy I would have put towards things like levelling or 5/6/7/8 roulettes. Now life is only alliances raids and pvp. Life is good.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

hazardousmouse posted:

Nu PvP has sucked up all energy I would have put towards things like levelling or 5/6/7/8 roulettes. Now life is only alliances raids and pvp. Life is good.

God that's such a mood. I loving capped Astronomy this week solely off Crystal Conflict. :psyduck:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vitamean posted:

when I was researching RDM vids for TEA there was one clear vid of an rdm that played entirely by clicking their skills

pretty sure they're one of the top parsers for that fight too so the takeaway is Play However You Want

Yup. I think it's because before FFXIV my biggest online games were the diablo games and occasionally starcraft. I was very accustomed to clicking things a lot because of those. I struggled with FFXIV for a bit in ARR until I learned about legacy controls. Turned that on and just focused on left hand movement and right had skills/camera, and took off from there.

There is no wrong way to play the game. All playstyles are viable. The number one most important thing you can do is always click your buttons. It doesn't matter whether you have a keybind, a controller, click things with a mouse, stop on a ddr pad, I don't care. Just make sure you're hitting something on every gcd and you'll do ok.

edited to change diablos to diablo games to clarify.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 25, 2022

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dragongem posted:

new PvP is really bad, now every time I log in I have to basically do everything I can to force myself not to hit the Crystalline Conflict button now :(

Yeah. I’m a sick gently caress that has basically abandoned doing any content that isn’t CC. I’m not that good at it, but goddamn am I having fun.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've been using CC to level Sage, it's so fun in there. Got to Silver yesterday, but I mostly care about getting the series bonuses.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Mr. Nice! posted:

:same:
I click on everything that's not 1-4, I have small hands (so everything over 5 starts to be tricky) and 0 dexterity to hit ctrl or shift for skills and move my character for some reason in MMOs, but I have good visual memory so I can quick scope to icons (granted that my cursor is not lost somewhere).
Plus with the very generous GCD in XIV you can move your camera, hit OGCDs and do a combo without issues

That's my bars for reaper :

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zanael posted:

:same:
I click on everything that's not 1-4, I have small hands (so everything over 5 starts to be tricky) and 0 dexterity to hit ctrl or shift for skills and move my character for some reason in MMOs, but I have good visual memory so I can quick scope to icons (granted that my cursor is not lost somewhere).
Plus with the very generous GCD in XIV you can move your camera, hit OGCDs and do a combo without issues

That's my bars for reaper :

That isn't exactly how my reaper bars are set up, but the general layout of some core abilities in the first few numbers and then everything else spread out over three bars is how I set up everything.

e: Here's my most recent screenshot of some of my hotbars. This was from heavensward dragoon:

I would only hit 1-5 with the keyboard often times not even disembowel and never more than alt/ctrl 1,2,3. Everything not in that small little corner got clicked by mouse.

I miss phlebotomize.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 25, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dragongem posted:

It's very ncie to have a tomestone earner that isn't doing one of the same two dungeons for four months

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Analog stick for movement, G4 (W equivalent) for jump, G10-G12 for 1-2-3 equivalents.

Everything that doesn't fit on there I put on my Naga with the 7-buttons-in-a-circle attachment.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you don't have everything at 90, you're leaving a lot of exp on the table. If you do have everything at 90, yeah, I don't blame you.

Also get four friends together and avoid it by using limited leveling roulette!

I haven't run leveling roulette in about 3 years now because my desire to enjoy the game far outweighs the experience you get.

Max level dungeons are absurd exp at this point anyways. 2.5 dungeons will level you if you're rested, and outside of Vanaspati they're all great for spamming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I use both hands on the keyboard for combat mostly, only use the mouse for quick camera movements since it's faster than using the arrow keys and sometimes the tells are outside the arena.

This is a result of being trained by FFXI.