Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

withak posted:

Thanks! Four-person size is fine, I figured it would have to be in that range. I'm concerned that I might have trouble talking myself out of getting a cot also.
Ultralight cots are getting popular now if packed size is your concern. I haven't used any, but Naturehike has one at 5 lbs for $80 or Helinox has a 2 lbs one for like $280.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have never understood the love of cots. Whats the appeal for people that use them? Extra firm and level service? Just want off the ground?

Even for car camping they seem like a pain in the rear end. I just cant think of any benefits.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have never understood the love of cots. Whats the appeal for people that use them? Extra firm and level service? Just want off the ground?

Even for car camping they seem like a pain in the rear end. I just cant think of any benefits.

The reason I looked into them originally was because even with a thick inflatable pad, I was not comfortable as an overweight side sleeper with big shoulders. When I backpack I hammock so I can curl up like a baby but not necessarily on my side.
My 9-year-old likes to camp, but won't sleep in a structure unless I'm in it with him. So hammocking out and him in a tent while I'm in a hammock is out. So I was looking for some way I could be a ground dweller but also not wake up in excruciating pain. A cot seemed like a way to be able to do that with maybe one of the multiple small inflatable pads I have tried. Right now he doesn't backpack, so I can get away with using a giant twin size home inflatable mattress. But he enjoys hiking and camping, so I want to figure out a way to backpack with him without killing my back sleeping or carrying heavy rear end s***.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Huh, never would of thought of that scenario, makes sense I suppose. Its crazy how small some of the new UL cots are now, really just dealing with a bit of extra weight so probably not as much of a pain to hike with these days.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Being on a cot takes you off the cold/damp ground and it is a firm but comfortable sleep that doesn’t have many of the issues plaguing inflatable mats (risk of puncture, feel of being on a bubble, etc). We used them all the time w my friend’s dad who was a Boy Scouts leader

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah as an overweight guy I've never had an inflatable sleeping pad that actually could support me, and the coffin shape pretty much guaruntees I will slide off of it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like not having to get up off the ground when possible. Unzipping the sleeping bag on a cold morning is enough pain for me.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Hey gear peeps - I have an extra CampSaver 20% off code for an order over $100 - expires 4/25/22. Valid on full price items only:

SUBCS2C9CC2A

Hope it helps someone!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'm looking for a waterproof hat (preferably something with a wide brim) for hiking and general lakeside/mountain stuff. Can anyone recommend something they really like?

Edit: I have a big head and it's hard to find hats. :(

Red fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 19, 2022

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I really like my Stetson Grand Canyon hat for summer.

In colder temps I wear an old waxed canvas Filson hat, but its easy to sweat it out in warmer temps.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

amenenema posted:

Hey gear peeps - I have an extra CampSaver 20% off code for an order over $100 - expires 4/25/22. Valid on full price items only:

SUBCS2C9CC2A

Hope it helps someone!

That makes the kelty Discovery4 around $100 and it has a height of 61 in so like 5 ft for that guy that was looking for a tall tent.

Also the kelty Discovery 6 is a good deal too and it's 77 in center height

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Red posted:

I'm looking for a waterproof hat (preferably something with a wide brim) for hiking and general lakeside/mountain stuff. Can anyone recommend something they really like?

Edit: I have a big head and it's hard to find hats. :(

I have a milsurp boonie hat that's waterproof and big (I wear 7-3/4" to 8" fitteds). Living in the PNW I thought I'd find a use for it, but in that rain I'm out with a hood up and a longer brim. It's a prime candidate for my upcoming gear purge. Can snap pics if you're interested. Would probably sell it for $20 shipped in the US.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti posted:

Any of y’all tested the warranty on Altras? Mine are wearing and coming unglued in a couple spots and I’d really expect more from what they cost

Wearing through and starting to come unglued in under a year is wear and tear to Altra I guess, that sucks a whole lot no matter how comfy they are :sigh:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

In a high heat and humidity area, is a bigger tent always better? So that the humidity and heat from your breath has more room to escape and not condense?

Remembering last summer when I when camped in my rei half dome 2+ by a small artificial lake(about the size of a regular school racing track) outside of Big Cypress National Reserve and woke up to the inside of the fly wet and coalescing at a point to drip on me.

Had the roof vents open and but doors closed. The lake is also about 6+feet lower than the campsite. No Idea how to handle it next time if I go back.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sometimes theres only so much you can do.

If you have the option campsite selection can be the biggest factor, but thats usually not an option unless you're out west.

Otherwise, yeah take the fly off even if you're OK with that. If you're car camping amazon has some ALLCAPS brand little lithium ion fans that are a god send in the summer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Otherwise, yeah take the fly off even if you're OK with that. If you're car camping amazon has some ALLCAPS brand little lithium ion fans that are a god send in the summer.

The sharper image airbar is sneaky good. Runs off any usb battery, the weird feet they got on it make it easy to use rope or bungee cord to lash it to the inside of the tent.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
First overnight camping trip of the season with the 3-year old is in the bag. Still just setting up in my in-laws' back yard, which I think is about the right speed for her right now. The new Mondoking pad for my wife worked much better than the terrible Eddie Bauer air bed that leaked like crazy last time. Unfortunately, my 25-year old Thermarest either wasn't fully inflated -- it's hard to keep a 3-year old entertained while that happens when she wants to go in the tent and play -- or is failing or possibly the problem is that I'm fatter than I was 25 years ago. My wife suggested we look at a larger (meant for two) pad. Right now I'm eyeing the Expad Megamat Duo -- they make a "medium," a "long/wide," and a "queen" that looks to be slightly bigger than the l/w one. Doesn't look like they make a 15 model of the duo, just the 10.

The other main possibility seems like a non-terrible air bed, if I get over my attachment to self-inflating pads; an acquaintance has recommended the REI one, but I wasn't real happy with my REI Thermarest knockoff, and there are an awful lot of reviews indicating that theirs started leaking air in pretty short order. They also recommended the $300 insulated version, but I only see the $150 version. But that one also says it's insulated so who knows.

I'll have to double-check the dimensions of my tent -- it's the Kelty Discovery 4, which lists at around 98x84" but I'm skeptical -- to see if there would be room for another pad once the kiddo starts needing her own pad. If not, I may be in the market for a 6-person tent (we all know that the "listed" person capacity of a tent is somewhere between "maybe if you don't put any gear inside" and "outright lie," right?). Maybe the REI Kingdom 6 would suit. (EDIT: Actually, I guess that's discontinued.) The reviews on the Kelty also say that it didn't last too well for them, so it's also possible that it will just fail on me! Luckily, since we are currently just backyard camping, we can go sleep in the basement if there's a real problem.

I'm really glad the kid is taking to camping. Although she did say she was super excited to go camping and she loves camping, and then we set everything up and she announced "I don't like camping" and "I want to go home." But it didn't last and we had a pretty solid night. My mother-in-law also gave her an old battery-powered Coleman-style lantern so she's very excited to have her own since she loves flashlights. She just snuggled up with my wife this time, but she's getting an REI KinderCone for her birthday, which she's going to be really excited about. I was a little worried that the 25F-degree rated bag might be a bit much, but my Big Agnes is rated down to 15F and I was pleasantly warm and not too hot at all when I woke up this morning and it was 48F out. It felt pretty chilly as soon as I got out of the bag, so I think we'll be glad to have her in the Kindercone. We'll see what the summer brings, we can always pack a few light blankets or just unzip the bag. I was thinking we would need to sort out a mat for her as well, but if we end up getting a 2-person pad for me and my wife, she can use the Mondoking.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I just recently got the exped megamat 10 (single model, long/wide) and it's great. I can't imagine needing the 15.

I also have the Wawona 6, and have had 5 adults in it numerous times without issue. We could have fit a 6th but we'd have been brushing shoulders a bit. The vestibule is huge, so some gear was out there, but we all had a bag of clothes in the main tent with us.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The REI sleep system queen set up is fine. If you have an REI nearby you can find those in the garage sale section all the time for $50. You need to inspect the return tag and make sure it’s not leaking like a sieve.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

My REI Camp Dreamer loses air after maybe ten nights on it, but it’s been over a year so I’m SOL if I can’t find and patch the leak.

I need a sign to tap that says, “don’t buy REI-branded big ticket items.” Being able to return things for any reason for a whole year is nice, but most manufacturers warranty their products for a lot longer than that. REI overcorrected on that front when they canned the unlimited return policy that people were abusing.

If you opt for non-REI branded items you can still get the best of both worlds.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 24, 2022

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Goons, help me out, please.

Last August I bought a Kingdom 4 tent, footprint, and mud room from REI when they were on sale.

I just used the tent this weekend, and it was insanely windy. One of the tent poles is seriously bent, and the rest have at least slight bends. A few tent stakes also got bent because I suck at sinking stakes, apparently. Would it be possible for me to return the tent and accessories, or at least get store credit? If I'm able to either get a return or store credit, I'd like to get a new tent that isn't so obnoxiously tall.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

As far as I know, though my knowledge is a little dated, REI is the type of place that will do an exchange like that with no fuss.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

Last August I bought a Kingdom 4 tent, footprint, and mud room from REI when they were on sale.

I just used the tent this weekend, and it was insanely windy. One of the tent poles is seriously bent, and the rest have at least slight bends. A few tent stakes also got bent because I suck at sinking stakes, apparently. Would it be possible for me to return the tent and accessories, or at least get store credit? If I'm able to either get a return or store credit, I'd like to get a new tent that isn't so obnoxiously tall.

Echoing taqueso, REI will absolutely take it back unless you bought it used or aren't a member. https://www.rei.com/help/returns#return-policy-exceptions

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

Youve got the return covered but want to mention something else.

Did you guy out your tent? The Kingdom is broad as a barn and can really catch the wind. It needs to be guyed out properly to avoid bent poles or worse.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Unfortunately the Kingdom is notorious for being weak in the wind, even when guyed out. I'm half tempted to return mine which I haven't had a chance to use yet for the new Wonderland model.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm a member and bought it brand new. Ideally I'd like to not get an exchange of another Kingdom 4, because I just don't want a tent that big, at least not for my current needs. I'd rather get cash/store credit and buy a lower profile tent that's a little lighter to pack and less susceptible to being beat to poo poo by heavy winds. I think I'd like a 3- or 4-person tent, but with a maximum height of, I dunno, 4 feet? I don't want a super-low-profile tent--I'd like something an adult can sit upright in. Does that sound reasonable?

Edit: I actually do kind of want a super-low-profile tent, but as a secondary tent. I'd like to have a roomier tent for taking my girlfriend car camping, but also have a nice low-profile tent for when I want to pack small and light for just myself. But that'll probably come later.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 25, 2022

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Look into the REI Basecamp; it’s a little cheaper and smaller, handles wind well.

E. Also, unless you are 4 feet tall, don’t expect to be able to stand upright in a 4ft tent
E2 ah, I misread. I’ll leave for posterity as my penance

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 25, 2022

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I want to be able to sit upright, not stand up. But yeah, the Base Camp 4 looks like it might be a good option.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I got a half dome 4 plus that I'm happy with. Big enough to fit my girlfriend and I plus belongings but low enough to be okay in wind.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I'm thinking I want to take up camping. Never gone before, but I'm a big fan of the casual hiking trails I've done in the past. I live in Florida, so something I could pitch for a weekend during fall/winter/spring would be nice. I'm thinking of taking a week off to go car camping in Georgia this summer too, so I'm going to be doing some local camping to prepare for that.

Any tent recommendations for a solo camper? I'm interested in hiking loops that would take me back to my car, cooking, and having conditions conducive to comfortably reading/writing, so a tent I could sit up in if it's raining outside would be nice. I'm 6'2"--not totally sure how height factors into decision making.

Would like something that doesn't break bank (I don't think weight is going to be an issue since I wouldn't be using it for backpacking) but would also be reliable and not headache-inducing. I'm kind of thinking that buying the tent, footprint, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, necessary equipment like lamp/first aid kit/cooler/stove, and a pair of trail running shoes will put me in the $700~ budget range total.

But I'm willing to go a little bit over that. I was originally thinking of going cabin camping for a week, but that would cost around $1k, so buying gear that will let me camp anywhere for years to come sounds like a better investment. Thinking I might go for an REI membership so I can do their return policy if for some reason camping ends up really not being my thing.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

My advice would be to think about what you have that you can already use, then buy budget gear to fill in the rest. Then figure out what you like and don't, and upgrade to more expensive equipment accordingly.

A lot of times when people are asking for recommendations (not necessarily here) they get a list of high end equipment that is great for the person recommending it but doesn't fit the recommendee.

There's a LOT of "camping on a budget" videos out there on YouTube, watch a couple. I think you'll be surprised how little you actually need to buy to car camp.

Now for my recommendations:

Tent:
There's nothing wrong with Ozark trail (Walmart brand) and Coleman you can get a tent that will work perfectly fine for under 50 bucks with a return policy. It won't be the best quality, but it'll be fine and help inform you what you're actually looking for. (You could easily spend $400 on a great tent, then realize you don't need the space. Space don't like the set up. Decide you want to backpack so you need something lighter) bonus, when you do upgrade, you can loan it to friends when they want to go camping with you.

Sleeping pad:
You probably have an air mattress you can already use, if not they're ultralight inflatable pads that are meant for backpacking but we use them even for car camping because they don't take up as much space. They are not nearly as thick as an air mattress, we're talking like two plus inches. If you're a bigger guy or a slide sleeper, you're going to want at least 4 in, or just buy a cheap air mattress. You can throw those foam exercise mats or yoga mat underneath them for a little more insulation. And not much more padding. Two Budget brands are teckology and sleepingo. (They actually sell insulated sleeping pads but I don't believe there's any budget options there)

Sleeping bag:
The temperature rating on these is the temperature at which you will not freeze to death, not the temperature you will be comfortable at. So if it's rated 40° it might be okay in like 60° weather. Regular size sleeping bags aren't super popular anymore. Mummy style is more common. There are now quilts that are basically sleeping bags without padding on the bottom because you're going to be sleeping on it and compressing that anyway to save weight, but that's not really a concern for car camping. I'm not much up on this particular subject because I hammock camp with down blankets. I have a Coleman sleeping bag for car camping, but I wouldn't recommend Coleman on this particular item. I have a generic mummy sleeping bag. I don't know what the temperature rated is but I like it way better. Hopefully somebody has more insight on this topic. Again, you probably have something you can use.

Hammock:
Buy a hammock. You can get them with mosquito nets, but seriously try it. Changer for me when I finally gave up and tried it. I wouldn't be able to backpack if hammock camping wasn't a thing because my back is so bad that I cannot sleep on a little inflatable pad and move much the next day. That being said, you probably have less stuff that will work for hammock camping. You need a hammock with a mosquito net, an underquilt, and a tarp in case it rains, bare minimum. I use quilts instead of a sleeping bag because of the under quilt. I have an ultralight quilt but you can use one of those crinkly blue plastic ones sold pretty much everywhere. You need the under quilt because with all that air underneath you a slight breeze can just suck the warmth out of you. It's basically half a sleeping bag that goes under your hammock. If nothing else, just bring a hammock with you camping. It's great to lay in any way, And you can get not terrible ones for like 20 bucks.

I'll post some more recommendations later, like I said, this is all just budget stuff to get you out there to see what you like and what you want out of camping that you can then spend your camping budget on upgrading the gear you want. Want. As an example, I went through three different hammocks before I found the one that I use now. And if I would have bought a $400 hammock in the first style, I would still be using it and not enjoying hiking as much asi do, But I'd be stuck cuz that was my whole budget.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Unfortunately the Kingdom is notorious for being weak in the wind, even when guyed out. I'm half tempted to return mine which I haven't had a chance to use yet for the new Wonderland model.

Ive ridden mine out in a huge midwestern hail storm. I've seen plenty of setups properly guyed out that do just fine. More prone to wind damage sure, but there reputation is such because people hardly ever take the time to set it up correctly.

Cephas posted:

Any tent recommendations for a solo camper? I'm interested in hiking loops that would take me back to my car, cooking, and having conditions conducive to comfortably reading/writing, so a tent I could sit up in if it's raining outside would be nice. I'm 6'2"--not totally sure how height factors into decision making.

Would like something that doesn't break bank (I don't think weight is going to be an issue since I wouldn't be using it for backpacking) but would also be reliable and not headache-inducing. I'm kind of thinking that buying the tent, footprint, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, necessary equipment like lamp/first aid kit/cooler/stove, and a pair of trail running shoes will put me in the $700~ budget range total.

An REI Basecamp would probably fit the bill. Or cheaper, but heavier and built like a tank, something like a Eureka Timberline. Which is a fun classic A frame tent I have a soft spot for and still use once a year at least.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My Boy Scout troop growing up used the Eureka Timberline and I still love it. I don't own one but occasionally think about buying one just for nostalgia. While the setup is more "complicated" than my Kelty, I actually find it easier to put up solo because you don't have to put stuff in grommets on one side while keeping them in on the other side. We used the 4-person but they make a 2-person (if you are new to camping, you should probably read these as "2-3" person and "1 person" respectively).

I had a Coleman "instant up" tent growing up where you literally took it out of the bag and it more or less pops itself up. It was easy to stow too. I think they still make these.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I use the 2 person Timberline as a solo winter tent from time to time.

Its just fun, hard to explain. The peaked roof means you can sit up just fine in the middle. Theyre super durable but heavy for backpacking. Setup is easy.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Youve got the return covered but want to mention something else.

Did you guy out your tent? The Kingdom is broad as a barn and can really catch the wind. It needs to be guyed out properly to avoid bent poles or worse.

Sorry, missed this earlier. It was not guyed out as well as it could've been, because I basically ran out of stakes. But the other guy with an older-model Kingdom, whose tent was at least slightly better guyed out, was still collapsing like crazy in the wind. It was really windy, abnormally so, at our campsite.

On a related note: is it possible to re-use the same four stakes for a footprint as for the tent itself? I had the full 11 stakes the Kingdom came with, but that's 8 right off the bat, and there's more places to stake down for the Kingdom. Alternatively, what are some good aftermarket stakes to use for awful, hard-to-drive-deeper-than-two-inches dry Texas dirt?

I was looking again at the Base Camp 4 and its maximum height is 60", which is still a full foot taller than I'd like. Gonna keep looking for other options.

I realize my problem was not as simple as "TALL TENT BAD" but I just... really don't like the hugeness of the Kingdom. It feels absurd and bad to sit inside, somehow. So yeah, I'll echo that whole "buy a cheaper tent to start with, because you may change your mind about what kind of gear you want."

I may just downsize to a 2- or 3-person tent, since most 4-person tents seem to be on the tall side.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 25, 2022

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

No worries its a huge tent. I love it for car camping with a dog, baby and my wife but I can see why people wouldnt like it.

Check out MSR groundhogs or their cheap knockoffs online. Should hold pretty well and are pretty sturdy.

Also you should be able to loop the footprint through the same stakes.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Mountain Hardware is having a sale on backpacks. 75% off original price with code MHW75OFF

Never used these, found this while looking for a deal on a 65L pack.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tested a cot (alps ready lite) and a tent (REI passage 1) at home over the weekend. Passage 1 smelled weird so I didn't sleep in it that night but the smell went away in the morning so I can't wait to take it on a trip. Cot is very light but a bit of a pain to setup and much too big for the passage 1. Nevertheless, it's quite comfortable, so I'll keep it around and see if other tents will take it.

I tried to sleep in the tent with a closed cell sleeping pad and was immediately reminded why I never seem to sleep well while camping. I may need to find another cot or get something deluxe like the megamat but for backpacking. 5lbs is a bit much.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a backpacking cot that takes up the same amount of space as a sleeping pad but with a little more weight. sometimes I put a sleeping pad on top of the cot as a mattress like a princess and the pea forest bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
e: wrong thread, found the regular hiking one

liz fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 26, 2022