Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

refleks posted:

Just checking in to see if it's still poggers this monday morning... oh yes it is.

:lando:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

The only time that big points scoring positions in F1 will be represented by a Canadian

Pretty sure we’ll see Lance racking up points on his license.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Anyone worked out how an undriveable car finished 4th?

because he only had to do one on track overtake after the first lap on a haas with dead tyres and bottas had an 11 second pit stop

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Centusin posted:

because he only had to do one on track overtake after the first lap on a haas with dead tyres and bottas had an 11 second pit stop

Okay but why is King Arthur, savior of the British Nation, totally incapable of outqualifying and outracing his teammate. Is it because of head bouncy-bouncy?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MrMojok posted:

Okay but why is King Arthur, savior of the British Nation, totally incapable of outqualifying and outracing his teammate. Is it because of head bouncy-bouncy?

Already answered OP.

Russian Bear posted:

Loooois can’t handle the proposing because his massive dong gets in the way. Russel doesn’t have that problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Checks out. Once Mercedes deploy a nice carbon fibre sheath in the cockpit to prevent it undulating so much the performance will improve.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Just caught up on the weekend. A Good and Fine Result.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'm half of the 181k views on this stunning piece of race footage.
https://streamable.com/5qwqis

e: 198k

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants posted:

Checks out. Once Mercedes deploy a nice carbon fibre sheath in the cockpit to prevent it undulating so much the performance will improve.

Rumour is the codename is the D-Duct

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Khablam posted:

You’re helmut marko??

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Why is Hamilton so rear end now at racing? I just started watching last year after binging Drive 2 Survive and he seemed to be regarded as really good if not like generationally talented. Is it literally car bad and he doesn't handle porposing well?

Also I got my dad and I tickets to the Miami GP race next week which I'm excited for just as an event or to see it but I live in Miami and grew up in FTL and like....it's in a loving parking lot. Is it normal to have these races in like random locations? I googled some other f1 tracks and it seems like half of them are really cool integrated parts of the city and others are in the middle of no where. Like red bull racing ring seems to he in the woods but its a whole campus so its pretty cool.

Miami is literally in fins stadium parking lot....they don't even drive THROUGH the stadium. I was super sad that they didn't do it like up and down biscayne or around the heat stadium and one of the reasons I never took my dad to the one in Texas was like it was just random track middle of nowhere.

I've also heard that there are like F2 races and you can go around the ring with a driver? I've never been to a race or qualification before....what is a day at qualification like? I assume we should get there like fairly early but I've not even been able to find a schedule of events or anything

E: I've just found a schedule of events. I guess we'll be there for most of it. Is the paddock club worth it?

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 25, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Originally the race was going to be in downtown Miami but the rich residents there were upset about the sound so after a few failed locations it's being put at hard rock stadium where there are no rich people around.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

net work error posted:

Originally the race was going to be in downtown Miami but the rich residents there were upset about the sound so after a few failed locations it's being put at hard rock stadium where there are no rich people around.

Its just in the middle of a bunch of residential neighborhoods lmao

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Aren't there parts of Miami that are like underwater?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Its just in the middle of a bunch of residential neighborhoods lmao

it’s next to a dennys

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I imagine it’s got to be hard to find places for the paddock and main grandstands on any new street circuit in a real downtown. Las Vegas is unusual because there are empty lots a block away from the strip.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Aren't there parts of Miami that are like underwater?

Depends on the day and tides

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The suits who run F1, the commercial rights holders not the FIA, are leaning into the ideas of 1) more races in the US, Drive to Survive brought in a lot of US viewers and they're trying to capitalize on that, and 2) having more races that are big spectacular event weekends in like, popular destinations. They want to say they're bringing F1 to places like Miami and Vegas* and it's going to be sort of like a festival. This is why the new US races are in cities and not at existing US tracks--there are several American tracks that have hosted F1 before other than COTA in Austin, and some of them are either already up to F1 spec or could be brought up to it with some investment, but they're in, like, upstate New York, or Ohio, so, middle of nowhere. An exception might be Indianapolis, but the last time F1 raced there it was bad. Also, for Miami and Vegas, F1 is changing the way it runs the race. Normally they partner with a local organizer who pays F1 for the right to host a race, but for these two F1 is organizing the event directly and keeping all the ticket proceeds.

I have no idea if the Miami and Vegas races are going to be any good. Some street circuits are rear end and some rule. If you want to see them drive THROUGH a stadium btw make sure to catch the Mexico race if you didn't last year, they drive through a baseball stadium.

*they raced in Vegas back in the 80s as well but it was a very poorly designed track that was in the parking lot of Caesar's Palace and everyone agrees it sucked

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are they still making that fake yacht lake

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I have no idea if any of the Indycar circuits could be upgraded to FIA grade one so nobody yell at me that there's no way you could install armco barriers at Road America or whatever, it doesn't matter because F1 isn't going to Wisconsin.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Waroduce posted:

Why is Hamilton so rear end now at racing? I just started watching last year after binging Drive 2 Survive and he seemed to be regarded as really good if not like generationally talented. Is it literally car bad and he doesn't handle porposing well?

The thread isn't joking about the car being bad, it's truly backmarker dogshit bad and what we are seeing is it's real pace. Russell outperforming Lewis is most likely because he's willing to risk his actual health for results, whereas lewis has some experience on him now and is clearly not giving a poo poo about injuring himself to come 6th rather than 11th.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 25, 2022

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes they are and it's the dumbest poo poo

Also my Instagram feed is now full of the most over priced and expensive experiences at and around the f1 race. It's like 3K for a seat at some stupid sushi pop up at the race lmao

E: spelling

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If ever there was an argument to bring back non-championship races it seems like Miami is it

Fake edit: Unless the Scud win

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

https://twitter.com/EngineMode11/status/1518549610146549760?t=FGNdGSQXKqxHyMG25hxsMw&s=19

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can picture the sort of people on the yachts now and it's making me angry

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

but for these two F1 is organizing the event directly and keeping all the ticket proceeds.

if liberty had its way this would be every race

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Imagine if for the Singapore race they built a fake Chinatown

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ArmZ posted:

if liberty had its way this would be every race

Big difference from Bernie, who just wanted the promoters to pay big bucks for the hosting rights

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

F1 organising Miami directly is a departure from the past where some promoter would have been goaded into doing weird poo poo like a fake boat lake and then lost money once they'd paid the fees to host the event, before getting dropped from the calendar the year after.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Are they selling tickets to stay on the fake yachts for the weekend and you get to watch the race on your yacht?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Khablam posted:

Dont stop... almost there...

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Thanks Ants posted:

F1 organising Miami directly is a departure from the past where some promoter would have been goaded into doing weird poo poo like a fake boat lake and then lost money once they'd paid the fees to host the event, before getting dropped from the calendar the year after.

and in the case of Vietnam the race doesn't even happen and the promoter goes to jail

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

:whitewater:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Red flag when someone puts a hole in the lake

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Miami will become America's Monaco when someone crashes into the fake yacht lake like how they used to crash into the marina

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Didn't they put the fake sea view up at Monaco on the entrance to the tunnel for some reason? Does anybody know why that was there?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did they put any elevation in the Miami track or is it literally flat?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

The pinnacle of motorsport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Miami people are not above throwing poo poo on the track. This will be something teams will need to account for.