Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Imagined posted:

The boy and I finished the introductory game tonight. Loved it. He said, "We should play this EVERY Saturday!" I really love the command card / order token system and YGIG activation. That feels ultra modern and the most fair way to handle that sort of thing I've ever seen in any miniature wargame to date.

My only complaint so far is the supposed starter-box neither includes the "minimum" 800 points for any faction nor nearly enough dice. I'm wondering whether I should order another core set or just some more dice and dive into units.

Obi-Wan takes down General Grievous.

Unfortunately, too many Fantasy Flight games expect you to buy multiple copies of the core boxes for their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm really happy they made prequel factions, because even though the OG trilogy is by far my favorite, to me the idea of Rebel ground forces against Imperials just doesn't feel right. Every time in the OT we see the Rebels square up on the ground against the Empire they get their asses handed to them. Even in RotJ they only pull out a hail mary W with the help of freaking Ewoks. 'Rogue One' comes closest to an even Imps-v-Rebs land battle but even in that one it's more like a suicide mission for the Rebels. Which makes sense! That's what the "lore", such as it is, says should happen. The Imperials have all the resources, all the training, and all the manpower, while the plucky Rebels have to make due with terrorism, guerilla warfare, and divine intervention. Which is cool, but doesn't lend itself to a tabletop game other than "what if?" scenarios. Darth Vader leading an army of stormtroopers against Luke Skywalker and an army of Rebels feels silly, considering the only time we see anything close to that in the movies, Vader only comes in after the grunts have secured the area, while Luke and the Rebels are basically only fighting so they can successfully run away.

The Clone Wars era, though, that's the bit of the media where we see constant massive, relatively equal, pitched WW2-style land battles with Sith and Jedi right up on the front lines acting as generals. So in the context of a game, the Prequel-era feels more appropriate.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 24, 2022

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I've always assumed that any of the battles we play out on the tabletop are only a portion of the story. A rebel victory doesn't mean that the Imperial Army is defeated, just that they held them off long enough for "the last transports are away!" Any ground engagement is going to be a matter of goals, and the Rebel goals are almost always going to be "buy a certain amount of time," or "hit the empire hard enough in a raid to do meaningful damage, before disappearing as effectively as you can."

That said, I do understand the appeal of the prequel era conflicts, as matched forces are always easier to imagine.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Being heavily objective based helps with that aspect of the fluff.

The six round time limit is when the rest of the Empire shows up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ugleb posted:

The May 4th retail bundle offer is kinda blowing my mind.

For the price of a core set (£110 these days apparently), you get a core set and six expansions including a choice of commander.

I chucked stuff into a cart and the expansions alone added up to over £150. So it is something like 60% off.

Very tempted to grab the clones bundle and sell the core set off later as I already have two. I could maybe use the B1's from it to take me up to six squads, but I don't see myself needing a third squad of Droidekas, or 6 squads of phase 1 clones. Maybe a third Barc? I dunno.
I spreadsheeted this up using Element Games prices and the savings are £139.43 for the OT boxen and £146.41for the Prequels. It's making me strongly consider just dropping a fuckton of cash on all the clones and clankers I would ever need.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If this deal were available to us ignorant colonials even though I have it all I'd leap on it just to gift a friend into the game.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Probably worth the saving to ship it over to you. Try throw a US address into the checkout and see what happens.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Entoyment let me at least estimate shipping for the US and proceed to the final step of checkout.

The Republic + Separatist bundles + shipping comes out to ~$310.89 for me right now, converted.

All that stuff would be $495.19 (free shipping) right now on Miniature Market.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Signal posted:

I've always assumed that any of the battles we play out on the tabletop are only a portion of the story. A rebel victory doesn't mean that the Imperial Army is defeated, just that they held them off long enough for "the last transports are away!" Any ground engagement is going to be a matter of goals, and the Rebel goals are almost always going to be "buy a certain amount of time," or "hit the empire hard enough in a raid to do meaningful damage, before disappearing as effectively as you can."

That said, I do understand the appeal of the prequel era conflicts, as matched forces are always easier to imagine.

I agree and the model count supports this. Squads are typically 5 or 6 minis and you see maybe one or two larger vehicles per side. These are strike teams going after something specific, not so much open warfare. Even the largest droid spam armies aren't that huge and present a wall of anonymous metal for the heroes to carve through on a rescue mission or what have you.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there a Star Wars Celebration exclusive miniature this year?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

I spreadsheeted this up using Element Games prices and the savings are £139.43 for the OT boxen and £146.41for the Prequels. It's making me strongly consider just dropping a fuckton of cash on all the clones and clankers I would ever need.
Turns out Darksphere have the bundle even cheaper. I just need to decide what commander I want for the Seperatists now I guess.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
All these amazing deals are for the UK primarily. Are there any US stores doing crazy good deals?

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I was asked to fix the painting on a whole droid army, so I started with some really easy paintjobs. Happy May the 4th goons!

Ps: We also have some crazy deals in Hungary today on bundles!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Man I'm happy for y'all but the fact that seemingly everyone but North America got awesome deals really sticks in my craw! 'Ooooh the Asmodee store has a sale that takes things down to still higher than normal price on Amazon after shipping oooh' :jerkbag:

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 4, 2022

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Miniature market has a few deals but nothing huge today.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Imagined posted:

Man I'm happy for y'all but the fact that seemingly everyone but North America got awesome deals really sticks in my craw! 'Ooooh the Asmodee store has a sale that takes things down to still higher than normal price on Amazon after shipping oooh' :jerkbag:
North America is already usually dirt cheap so I struggle to feel too bad for you. I have bought from Amazon US and eaten the shipping cost to Ireland because that was the cheapest way of getting the Armada core box, for example.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

For a while I was getting core boxes in pairs for $50 a pop off US Amazon to get friends in the game because at that price, c'mon.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
so I got the ATST on a May 4th sale from Amazon (also, birthday money covering most of it). I put it together, but I have 2 bolts left over. It looks like it goes somewhere on the side of the main driver area, but I can't figure out exactly where. I thought they were supposed to go into a hole, but I don't see any. Do they just stick out like frankinstein's monster's neck bolts? I don't see them on any pictures. Anyone know?

E: nevermind. their optional caps for the weapon ports if you leave them empty.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 6, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Free advice if you ever get the GAV: the little bolts that the instructions don't mention are the headlights

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Almost done with the whole Droid army project, just working on Grievous now.

It is a fun little project but I really don't want to paint droids for a while now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Since my giant box o' droids just arrived can you post a guide to how you did those? They look great.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

played my first game in about 5 years. My opponent played seperatists, with 7 units in a skirmish game. I had my measley 4 with empire (a ATST, Darth Vader, and 2 storm trooper units). We played breach, and I thought I was going to lose just with how many units my opponent had and could just rush past me.

We then promptly forgot after the first round that we depoyed in corners, and rushed in basicly the wrong direction. First turn my opponent called an orbital strike on Vader, reducing his health in half. My ATST did some serious damage to his droids, and with some concentrated fire (and lucky rolls maybe) a storm trooper unit took out some droidicas. My ATST took quite a few shots at the opposing commander, and he managed to hold on with 1 health.

Darth freaking Maul did a jump over two stacked cargo containers, ran to a storm trooper unit and sliced 4 of the 5 down. Vader came in to help, and the poor helpless last storm trooper shrugged and punched Maul in the face with a lucky hit.

At the end of round 6 neither of us had units 1 range from the opponent's deployment zone and we decided to judge by points of units killed, which my opponent thinks I did more.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Grievous done! I painted him in the B1 droid colours at first, but client wanted him much brighter so had to push it further into Bleached Bone territory.

Arquinsiel posted:

Since my giant box o' droids just arrived can you post a guide to how you did those? They look great.

Sure, these are all rather easy and few step paintjobs. Warning that I got these minis painted (to a not too high standard) and I just painted over the previous paintjob without priming them again. That could slightly effect the final colours.

B1 droids: The whole model covered with Citadel Zandri Dust, generous wash of Citadel Agrax Earthshade, drybrush on the edges with Citadel Eldar Flesh. Final highlights on the more prominent edges with Citadel Pallid Wych Flesh. I did add a small blob of Citadel Nuln Oil into the eye sockets to make them more visible. The weapons are Vallejo Black Grey, with a light Citadel Grey Seer drybrush.

The blue part was painted with Citadel Alaitoc Blue, washed with Citadel Drakenhof Nightshade and the highlights added with Citadel Lothren Blue.

BX commando droids: I covered the whole model in Citadel Mechanicus Standard Grey, generous wash of Citadel Nuln Oil, drybrush on the edges with Citadel Dawnstone. Brown parts were painted with Citadel Bestial Brown, washed with Nuln Oil and some small highlights added with Citadel bestial Brown mixed with.. whatever light painted I had on the palette maybe Pallid Wych Flesh, just make sure its a lighter brown and its fine. I went back and did some more bright highlights on the most prominent edges (corners) with Citadel Grey Seer.
The weapons are Vallejo Black and metal parts/ edges picked out with Vallajo Metal Color Pale Burnt Metal. Washed with Citadel Nuln Oil.
The shields were done by the client in some pale gold/brass colour, only thing I did was wash them with Nuln Oil to dull them down and give some definition. (Also used vaseline to get rid of the super glue fogging that happened on the acrylic parts)
Eyes were picked out with the brightest white I had.

B2 super battle droids: Cover them in black, and then a very generous drybrush of Vallejo Metal Color Magnesium with a huge makeup brush followed by a light drybrush concentrating on the edges with Vallejo Metal Color Pale Burnt Metal.

Droidekas: Metal parts same as the Super battle droids. The brown parts were done with some dark brown, in my case Vallejo Flat Brown mixed with black. Washed with Citadel Nuln Oil and highlighted with Citadel Zandri Dust.

I painted all the optics and chest light things red where applicable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Much appreciated. I'm guessing a white primer for the B1s and black for literally everything else will do well enough. I'll be off to GW to buy paints soon it seems.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i just bought an army of droids and good lord are they a nightmare to assemble

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

I have to tell myself at least the painting is super fast.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
yeah, im looking forward to just prime->contrast->drybrush. much easier than literally any 40k swarm army, thankfully

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I put my droid army from the starter box together over a year ago, and primed them and everything, and still haven’t gotten around to painting them yet (other than Grievous). I should do that this summer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I haven't even looked at assembling the droids yet, having gotten side-tracked onto basing materials.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i just bought an army of droids and good lord are they a nightmare to assemble

Quoting myself from last page just in case this helps at all, because hard same:

quote:

I finally finished the starter box B1s. The last six were a cinch, relatively, once I worked out a sort of assembly line system.

- Cut out all sprues except front and back of heads, sorting bits for each separate droid into different piles.
- Glue on all backpacks.
- Cut out all faceplates and glue to back of head while leaving the latter on the sprue.
- Glue on all legs on all droids.
- Glue all droids to bases.
- Glue on weapon arm on all droids.
- Glue on other arm on all droids.
- Cut assembled heads from sprue, glue on.

YMMV, of course, but this was what seemed to work best for me.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Imagined posted:

Quoting myself from last page just in case this helps at all, because hard same:
Wish I had these tips before I built mine years ago.

The only thing I have to add is that the instructions tell you to put a backup blaster on the E-5C Heavy, when it should really go the E-60R (Rocket Launcher) Heavy.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Imagined posted:

Having just assembled a B1 upgrade pack, this order made things far less stressful.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm frantically painting my empire units up so I can procrastinate for the Shadow collective to drop.

I think my imperial guards turned out decent for a person who probably at the clay in art school rather than making a bowl

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ewoks and Mando confirmed for next year.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Battle report. Played a skirmish game yesterday, Imperial (Grab bag, 3 troopers, speeder bikes and Vader) vs. separatist droids (3 B1s, Magnaguards, Tank and Greivus) going for terrain victory points.
Unfortunately I didn't count on the tank cresting the hill early on, which quickly blasted my one rocket launcher squad (my one hope of killing that tank), and eventually destroyed the other. The one good side was it kept them busy for my left squad.

"Oh no!"

My speeders jetted around and got some good shots in, I did a bit of damage to Greivus and nearly killed all his magnaguards by the end.
My vader tried his best to beeline to Greivus and the enemy, but he's so SLOW. He did saber throw once and choke Greivus twice.
but my speeders had to keep moving and so couldn't control the left point, and I couldn't dislodge the tank from the middle, so I conceded in the beginning of the fourth round.

I feel like speeders are a poor choice for skirmish, unless maybe doing breach. There's just not enough room for them to navigate and position to attack. I have enough trouble with them in a full 3x6 area as it is.

I picked up some imp guards and I'm hoping to do a full game next time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Nice! I'd definitely consider Burst of Speed for commander Vader; proxy it if you don't have it. Remember that he's got compel corps now so he's pretty strong leading an inexorable gunline

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Speaking of Skirmish, I have a friend who wants to start up a casual tournament league in our friend group where lock in our faction and list and play a bracket. I really like Death Troopers and have made a few Skirmish lists that include them, usually some variant of Krennic + Shore Troopers + Death Troopers, and was wondering if anyone has ideas for a decent Skirmish list that runs them? They're pretty expensive and I really eat it if they get taken out early, but they're fun to play and a huge threat while they survive.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Maybe something like this for a skeleton?

code:

Untitled
429/500 (6 activations)
Commanders:
 - Director Krennic = 75
Corps:
 - Shoretroopers = 52
 - DF-90 Mortar Trooper = 38
Special Forces:
 - Death Troopers (72): DLT-19D Trooper (34), E-11D Config (0) = 106
Support:
 - 2× Dewback Rider (70): Tenacity (4), T-21 Blaster Rifle (5) = 158

Commands: •••• Standing Orders

Krennic compels the dewbacks to keep them moving; deaths take his order and shoot things. Can also use Krennic 2 pip to standby the dews in melee which is kinda nuts. Deaths are kinda weak in skirmish since their strength is range 4 shooting and their weakness is melee and pierce- which you may not have the tools to mitigate. But you'll probably see less snipers at least and the dews can try to tarpit close range stuff. Can fill out upgrades on Krennic, a heavy and/or medic on the corps, maybe try and slide 2x storms or another activation somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
is there a pdf somewhere with just a keyword glossary?