Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
probably but huge amounts government housing with rent tied to income has to be one leg of a policy to change things, surely? on top of making it so unpalatable via taxes for corps and airbnbs to take more stock off of the market

i mean at the end of the day i assume the answer is a generalized overthrow of capitalism with something more focused to workers and general personhood but i don’t see that happening soon

haha i don’t see anything good happening soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
if you want to overthrow capitalsm email me

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mediaphage posted:

the issue recently was his blaming immigrants rather than the neoliberal policy that's resulted in this mess. it got him banned from a canadian discord when he went on a racist meltdown and he's been salty ever since. now of course he's calling everyone a liberal who disagrees regardless of why they disagree and generally sounding chudly.

lol is there a discord to talk about the Canada thread(s)?

Anyway, I guess I've never heard that our housing Ponzi scheme depends on immigrants to prop it up - that's why I was curious whrew Rime was coming from. From some posts a few days ago, it seems like investors here and abroad are happy enough to buy houses and Airbnb them back to renters.

Even in that torstar article, I don't think the author actually makes the case that immigrants are driving up the prices of housing, or that the system even relies upon new entrants into the market. He's more saying that the dream we're selling to "desirable" immigrants is a fraud, just like the dream of upward mobility for those who were born here.

Guess I'm just a racist.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

man, you are on the ball with the thread titles

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RealityWarCriminal posted:

there is something deeply unwell when the only people employed at chain stores are recent immigrants because existing people are unable to afford living at those wages. I don't know what the solution is but it's deeper than building more housing.

Uh what's the Venn diagram of recent immigrants and existing people?

I know what you're trying to say but recent immigrants aren't specially equipped to survive on unlivable wages.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

man, you are on the ball with the thread titles

:tipshat: thank you but at least in this case the credit should go to Karach for that great turn of phrase

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

eXXon posted:

I know what you're trying to say but recent immigrants aren't specially equipped to survive on unlivable wages.

yeah it's not an inherent quality or anything. but recent arrivals are unlikely to know their rights and/or be afraid to pushback against their employer, and so get taken advantage of. it's not right.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
resourceful immigrants scurrying around through the jeffries tubes of Canadian society like Ugnaughts, always with their ceremonial hydrospanners at their waists. they don't mind curling up five to a bunk under a tibana gas spin sealer, saving their credits. Do they dream of their ancestral home of Ugnorgrad? I wonder...

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Karach posted:

jeffries tubes

:actually:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jeffery's Tubes

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Jeffery's Tubes

Is that where the permabanned users hide out? Has anyone run a scan for Cultural Imperial recently?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Karach posted:

In Canada, either you play the game of homes, or you die.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

:tipshat: thank you but at least in this case the credit should go to Karach for that great turn of phrase

im a little sad i never bugged a mod to use my Welcome To the Desert of the Realtor from a few years ago

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Dreylad posted:

im a little sad i never bugged a mod to use my Welcome To the Desert of the Realtor from a few years ago

drat that's pretty good

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Oxyclean posted:

Jeffery's Tubes

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Jefferies_tube

Jiffy's Lubes

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I support reducing Ottawa to rubble and letting the territories secede if it brings lasting peace.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I know but it's funnier to think they're tubes that all belong to jeffery.

eXXon posted:

I support reducing Ottawa to rubble and letting the territories secede if it brings lasting peace.
It would not

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I may steal this for the new housing market thread

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Oxyclean posted:

I know but it's funnier to think they're tubes that all belong to jeffery.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
aberration in the heartland of the realtor

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

I may steal this for the new housing market thread

by all means. works best if there's an actual collapse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dreylad posted:

by all means. works best if there's an actual collapse

well, poo poo, fingers crossed

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

well, poo poo, fingers crossed

inshallah

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

loving Travis

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dreylad posted:

inshallah

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/rolling-thunder-ottawa-motorcycle-convoy-expected-to-roll-through-ottawa-1.5871145

quote:

'Rolling Thunder Ottawa' motorcycle convoy expected to roll through Ottawa

Another group of protesters is planning to loudly roll through Ottawa next weekend and while it’s not clear what "Rolling Thunder Ottawa" is protesting, they plan to make their presence known.

The motorcycle group is expected in Ottawa on April 29, and the city and interim chief of police say they are aware of the demonstration.

Few details about the protest are known, but it's expected the group could stay in Ottawa until May 1 with rallies planned on Parliament Hill, slow roll protests and a stop at the National War Memorial to lay a wreath.

Between 500 and 1,000 people are expected to take part, but there are concerns.

It’s not clear what protestors want, but you can expect Canada flags, freedom chants, and anti-Trudeau signs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

let’s change Ottawa so that the only way to get to parliament is on public transit

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
let's change Canada so the only way to get anywhere is public transit

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Noblesse Obliged posted:

let’s change Ottawa so that the only way to get to parliament is on public transit

Let's spike every single road at the Greenbelt and call it a day

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Yes but with how OC transpo is, that means no-one will ever be able to get to Parliament

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Sloan is starting his own provincial party?

https://twitter.com/truedereksloan/status/1518560557737156609

:wtc:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"a man whose name is synonymous with successful electoral campaigns"

oh, word?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
i like how all this hard-right libertarian idiots are trying to capitalize on the saskatchewan party brand by starting their own *insert province name here* parties

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

what

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

oh, word?

Name a more synonymous successful electoral campaigner!

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
The PQ succeeded in getting their province all kinds of special treatment that the other provinces don't, so it's not like it's a completely stupid idea on its face.

Oh wait the PQ had a grounding in cohesive cultural/political ideology and actually worked to provide their constituents with material benefits instead of just the airing of ethereal grievances against an undefined political Other based on cargo culted American cryptofascism? Ah, well, nevertheless,

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wildrose, but with Roger Stone helping free us from "the yoke of the Trudeau-Ford regimes"

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

oh, word?
inter alia

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:22 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Gentle people, please

https://twitter.com/OntarioParty/status/1518577229139259394?t=h1L3CpnsDPAFZ1wsO3J9xQ&s=19

This graphic. It is real