Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It felt like a lot of games didn't allow you to bind something to that middle click back in the day. At least not with the option menu itself, sometimes you could use console commands or edit an ini file.

poo poo, the support for mouse 4 and mouse 5 was terrible for a long time too. Like those video game developers were still stuck using 10 dollar office mice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lord jesus. Uttering "wingman" always brings me back to this, the everlasting source of my hatred for that company

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Someone needs to develop a mouse with a middle button that uses a haptic engine on the middle mouse wheel/pad to simulate the wheel scrolling but is pressed like a normal button. I never feel good pushing the scroll wheel in.

Apple’s mouse has a pretty good design, but if they had a haptic engine hoo boy and maybe some way to “feel” which “button” your finger is on, hoo boy

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

adeadcrab posted:

What up mouse goons,

I've been daily driving the Logitech MX Master series mice, with the Master 3 being my mainstay for a good year or so now.

I have a 'G402 Hyperion Fury' (what a name) kicking around here from years ago - I briefly tried it for gaming; it's nice and light and I liked the experience.
However, I have a leather mouse pad and my cursor will bounce all around the screen sometimes as the sensor struggles to maintain a good signal.

I was thinking of getting a gaming mouse after trialling the G402 - have sensors improved recently to where they will work on most any surface? The MX Master 3 has a 'darkfield' sensor which can work on glass for reference.
I was looking at one of the latest Zowie mice - it has a 3360 sensor. Is that a legit sensor? Will it hold up on my leather mouse pad?

Thanks all.

So I dropped $100 AUD on a Zowie EC2, my first gaming mouse in close to a decade.
Please tell me how I messed up.
I'm already thinking of replacing the cable to paracord down the line.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

adeadcrab posted:

So I dropped $100 AUD on a Zowie EC2, my first gaming mouse in close to a decade.
Please tell me how I messed up.
I'm already thinking of replacing the cable to paracord down the line.

I'm sure it's fine. I've personally switched to wireless for everything as the cord was bothering me while doing big movements in games (plus wireless latency is the same or better than wired now), but there's a price premium for the good wireless technology in the gaming series mice. They also tend to need to be charged more often than office mice, although amount of use still plays the main factor. I have the wireless G502 but it's a heavier mouse and costs about a hundred bucks (MSRP seems to be more) so it's not inexpensive.

I'd give the zowie a fair shot if you don't outright hate the cord and if you still dislike it in a couple of weeks see about returning it. Mice are something you have to get used to unless there's some obvious issue right away or an ergonomic problem causing any kind of finger numbness or anything like that.

It's possible your old G402 was having issues with the cable if it was skipping a lot or possibly a hair or dust stuck in the sensor window. I thought they had a pretty new sensor so they should handle almost any surface but I never owned one personally so I could be mistaken, I just had the G400, G500, G400S, G502 from their line up from the last decade or whatever but I switched to the wireless G502. I have a G703 as well but I don't like the shape that much.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I purchased a razer mouse - the naga pro. The software is not as poo poo terrible as I remember from several years back. The mouse is built well and is comfy to use. I just can't understand the decision to stick with micro USB in the year of our lord two thousand twenty two, but whatever.

All things considered probably a 8/10.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LordAdakos posted:

I purchased a razer mouse - the naga pro. The software is not as poo poo terrible as I remember from several years back. The mouse is built well and is comfy to use. I just can't understand the decision to stick with micro USB in the year of our lord two thousand twenty two, but whatever.

All things considered probably a 8/10.

I think it's just cheaper to use micro USB than USB-C because USB-C doubles up the pins to make it reversible. Solder 4 things + the shield for micro, 8 things + the shield for USB-C(or more if your USB-C port handles more than USB 2.0 spec). Plus they probably buy them by the hundreds of thousands and I'm guessing USB-C costs a few pennies more. I believe a pro gamer did a branded Logitech mouse recently and insisted they use USB-C on it, so perhaps they'll see a shift in towards it in the future (might be the Shroud edition IIRC).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Correct, that was the G303 Shroud Edition.

Now if he only convinced them to get new switches... Not that I would have ever gotten one, its shape is apparently not ideal for palm grippers.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Rexxed posted:

I'm sure it's fine. I've personally switched to wireless for everything as the cord was bothering me while doing big movements in games (plus wireless latency is the same or better than wired now), but there's a price premium for the good wireless technology in the gaming series mice. They also tend to need to be charged more often than office mice, although amount of use still plays the main factor. I have the wireless G502 but it's a heavier mouse and costs about a hundred bucks (MSRP seems to be more) so it's not inexpensive.

I'd give the zowie a fair shot if you don't outright hate the cord and if you still dislike it in a couple of weeks see about returning it. Mice are something you have to get used to unless there's some obvious issue right away or an ergonomic problem causing any kind of finger numbness or anything like that.

It's possible your old G402 was having issues with the cable if it was skipping a lot or possibly a hair or dust stuck in the sensor window. I thought they had a pretty new sensor so they should handle almost any surface but I never owned one personally so I could be mistaken, I just had the G400, G500, G400S, G502 from their line up from the last decade or whatever but I switched to the wireless G502. I have a G703 as well but I don't like the shape that much.

Arrived overnight, set it up just now (second highest DPI setting under the mouse, love the no bloatware philosophy)

Instantly I think I prefer the Zowie. It obviously has an advantage in terms of weight but also surprisingly I think I prefer its low profile ergonomic design to the MX Master 3. Or maybe I've just spent so long with the MX Master 3 that the Zowie feels like a breath of fresh air. Feels a lot better on my wrist.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Pulsar makes a pretty good EC2 clone, the Xlite wireless. I guess there's a V2 now. 60g and about $10 more than a real EC2-C.

I have the original, non-updated version and while I found that I don't really like ergo shapes, it's a good mouse.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus
Replaced the switches in my G303 for the third or fourth time today. Starting to notice measurable plastic wear on the plastic switch contactors inside. Probably the last set for this mouse :/

Sad to see it go, but excited to pick up a gpro X superlight as my next, used one and I loved it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yerok posted:

Pulsar makes a pretty good EC2 clone, the Xlite wireless. I guess there's a V2 now. 60g and about $10 more than a real EC2-C.

I have the original, non-updated version and while I found that I don't really like ergo shapes, it's a good mouse.

Me, owner of Pulsar Xlite v1: I love it this is the best mouse I've ever had

Also me: But the v2 is mostly the same with less holes.....................

Artelier fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 1, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It is my three-month-iversary of getting the Roccat Burst Core to replace the the Steelseries Prime Wireless that started behaving badly after a month. Yes, a month.

I am IMMENSELY pleased with something that is half the cost of my old standby, the G502, and a third of the price of the Prime Wireless, and still has yet to show any signs of failure.

AND the Roccat has adjustable debounce settings in their software.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Artelier posted:

Me, owner of Pulsar Xlite v1: I love it this is the best mouse I've ever had

Also me: But the v2 is mostly the same with less holes.....................

Galaxy brain marketing. Give the gamers all the holes, and then when they realize what they want is slightly less holes, release V2 with slightly less holes.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It is my three-month-iversary of getting the Roccat Burst Core to replace the the Steelseries Prime Wireless that started behaving badly after a month. Yes, a month.

I am IMMENSELY pleased with something that is half the cost of my old standby, the G502, and a third of the price of the Prime Wireless, and still has yet to show any signs of failure.

AND the Roccat has adjustable debounce settings in their software.

~4 months with the Kone Pro Air and it hasn't done anything wrong yet. Their QA seems solid

The qualms I had about the PTFE probably vanished 2 months in

vv quote isn't wrong though, I think at least half of the reason I like this mouse so much is because it doesn't have holes

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 2, 2022

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yerok posted:

Galaxy brain marketing. Give the gamers all the holes, and then when they realize what they want is slightly less holes, release V2 with slightly less holes.

no you don't understand, it's the same but there's less holes!!

tbh i am not really debating upgrading at all since i don't think it's worth it if you have a v1 but i am considering grip tape which apparently can taper over the holes and let's me hold it more firmly?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

What if we sell the mouse with no holes but you get a free drill? Which major tool brand will be included?!?! Think of the brand engagement!

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

New Zealand can eat me posted:

~4 months with the Kone Pro Air and it hasn't done anything wrong yet. Their QA seems solid

The qualms I had about the PTFE probably vanished 2 months in

vv quote isn't wrong though, I think at least half of the reason I like this mouse so much is because it doesn't have holes

My KPA main clicks got all rattly and lovely after like a month, returned it, same thing with the replacement. I opened it up and shimmed the main clicks with some foil tape and Roccat QC was super cool and sent me replacement feet for free.

Both of mine were probably in the first batch though so maybe it was just that. Awesome mouse in general, probably the only non symmetrical I've really enjoyed using.

Artelier posted:

no you don't understand, it's the same but there's less holes!!

tbh i am not really debating upgrading at all since i don't think it's worth it if you have a v1 but i am considering grip tape which apparently can taper over the holes and let's me hold it more firmly?

I'm currently using a hati s wireless which is all holes all the time and I just cut some btl grips I had from another mouse for the sides and the rear hump to mash it into my palm farther. It's worth trying. The only mouse I've ever used that had a good enough coating that it was totally pointless was the XM1.

I eagerly await the XM2W and the return to no holes.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Well poop, my G900 right click is acting up. I guess it had a good long run. Is there hive-mind-conventional-wisdom about a successor wireless mouse for that, or is my best bet to pick the same thing up again on Amazon?

(G903 maybe? Saw some mysterious badmouthing of that.)

I don't care about game sense automagic whatever, I just like the responsiveness, the sensor, the weight, and (until now) the clickyfeel.

e: Part of the chatter seems to be about the HERO sensor (in the G502 and in a version of the G903) vs the older PixArt PMW3366 (in the G900 and in a version of the G903).

JLaw fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 4, 2022

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I quickly needed a mouse that could easily switch between computers, so I picked up a Logitech MX Master 2S. It's fine, but the "change bluetooth profile" button being on the bottom of the mouse is pretty irritating given I press the thing about 50 times a day. I guess it's plenty of wrist twisting exercise as I pick it up to hit the button each time.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
sup nerds it's sir clicks a lot

i'm reaching the end of my time with the Steelseries Rival 310. even after a few years with it, i keep inadvertently bopping the scroll wheel. the side rubbers are peeling off. the shape is fine, but my dead Func MS-3 is rolling in its grave considering the good times we had. that stupid lil floor button on the left, meant for the right thumbo? i miss it. it was so dumb.

any recs? within the Steelseries family would be nice just for using the same app with the apex kb. used/discontinued is fine. the only gottabees are

wired
kinda thic for my personal hybrid 80% palm 20% claw 100% noscopes brand (but freal the only competitive twitchy fps i'm playing nowadays is none of them/casual quake champions)
Please, Not Gamery! big dumb logos and razr angles: kindly go nap in a shady spot under a tree in the grass at your leisure (rgb okay though, i do like to party and kiss people)
what else? righty, 1440 @ 1600cpi, maybe a few more buttons on the side(s) in addition to [ < ] [ > ]

whoa do i just need a basic rear end mouse from target now? is that where i am?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

spider wisdom posted:

sup nerds it's sir clicks a lot

i'm reaching the end of my time with the Steelseries Rival 310. even after a few years with it, i keep inadvertently bopping the scroll wheel. the side rubbers are peeling off. the shape is fine, but my dead Func MS-3 is rolling in its grave considering the good times we had. that stupid lil floor button on the left, meant for the right thumbo? i miss it. it was so dumb.

any recs? within the Steelseries family would be nice just for using the same app with the apex kb. used/discontinued is fine. the only gottabees are

wired
kinda thic for my personal hybrid 80% palm 20% claw 100% noscopes brand (but freal the only competitive twitchy fps i'm playing nowadays is none of them/casual quake champions)
Please, Not Gamery! big dumb logos and razr angles: kindly go nap in a shady spot under a tree in the grass at your leisure (rgb okay though, i do like to party and kiss people)
what else? righty, 1440 @ 1600cpi, maybe a few more buttons on the side(s) in addition to [ < ] [ > ]

whoa do i just need a basic rear end mouse from target now? is that where i am?

The Joe Man posted:

After having owned tons of mice (Razer, SteelSeries, Logitech) the new MS Pro Intellimouse is still the best and most comfortable gaming mouse I've ever used hands down and it's still going strong almost 2yrs now with zero issue:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RPBXBMV/

Stop buying cheaply made gamer-themed garbage.
Still going strong 2yrs later btw.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The new Mx master X3S or whatever the gently caress was leaked and the only thing I care about is the silent click. I hate loud mouse noises. If it’s a toggle that’s very interesting, because the MX3 is pretty much the best mouse

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

jokes posted:

The new Mx master X3S or whatever the gently caress was leaked and the only thing I care about is the silent click. I hate loud mouse noises. If it’s a toggle that’s very interesting, because the MX3 is pretty much the best mouse

I've been daily driving the Zowie E2C since I got it; the past week or two.
It's a fresh breath of air (for me) compared to the clunky and awkward MX Master 3 which I've been using for years (including the OG and Master 2).
It could also be the material of the glide pads on the underside of the mouse; the Zowie seems to have much less friction, even accounting for the lighter weight.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

The Joe Man posted:

alright, yeah, i needed to hear it. growing up is hard.

if i wanted just a pinch more spice though, what’s the next-tier-up pick? another button or two? did anyone ape that logitech left/right tilt wheel?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Oyster posted:

I quickly needed a mouse that could easily switch between computers, so I picked up a Logitech MX Master 2S. It's fine, but the "change bluetooth profile" button being on the bottom of the mouse is pretty irritating given I press the thing about 50 times a day. I guess it's plenty of wrist twisting exercise as I pick it up to hit the button each time.

On Logitech M720 Triathlon the switch button can be used with a thumb, and it doesn't seem to be too close, I haven't been misclicking it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

spider wisdom posted:

did anyone ape that logitech left/right tilt wheel?

Razer has a tilt wheel in some of their mice. Steelseries has it in one or two models. And there are miscellaneous other mice with it -- RTings has tilt wheel on their table comparison tool.

IMO if you actually like & use the tilt wheel you probably want to go with a logi, in that they're the company who do that on all their models consistently with a high-quality mechanism. A fair number of mice that put a tilt wheels as a throw-in feature do it with cheap & crappy methods.

OTOH the new razer basilisk v3 has a very fancy scroll wheel with tilt and clutch free-spin. That one the mechanism seems high quality, though it's also pretty complicated so there's maybe a durability question. (Previous basilisks had problems with scroll wheel accuracy too.)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

I had no idea that the MS Intellimouse was back. I owned a 3.0 and really liked the light weight and the shape has always been good. I do with it had DPI switching like on my G502.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I recently got one for work, but there are two versions. I just got the basic one, the more expensive one has a fancier ~gaming quality~ sensor. I'm surprised that it actually almost feels too big, even for my hands.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I just bought a rival 5 but haven't had time to use it yet. My og sidewinder x6 started double clicking after 15? years.

It feels big in a good way and the side rocker button seems potentially useful.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

X5? I had the X3. X6 was keyboard. What was nice was the sidewinder keyboard I had with the detachable numpad that could go on either side. No reason they couldn't still be a player in that space.

I also have the R5. I like having as much as possible on the mouse and only using the keyboard for movement essentially. I miss some of the extra buttons on the big Rival 500 I used previously but it didn't take too long to adjust. And with a more lightweight, smaller mouse I feel like I'm more precise in warzone but maybe its placebo effect. For the side buttons, I think I went rocker up as tactical nade, rocker down is ping, front most button is melee, middle reload and rear is armor. On the 500 I used to use the ring finger button on the edge of RMB for the map, thats the one I miss the most.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

codo27 posted:

X5? I had the X3. X6 was keyboard. What was nice was the sidewinder keyboard I had with the detachable numpad that could go on either side. No reason they couldn't still be a player in that space.

Whatever the original was that launched when the keyboard did. They had a few models after it with similar names. The keyboard was great for a membrane but mine was the victim of a spilled beer a few years back. MS hardware has usually been good for me.

I'm still thinking about what I'm going to bind the buttons to. The ms mouse had vertically stacked side buttons so I'm sure the new configuration will take a little getting used to.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

havelock posted:

I'm still thinking about what I'm going to bind the buttons to. The ms mouse had vertically stacked side buttons so I'm sure the new configuration will take a little getting used to.

Klyith posted:

Using a mouse button to cycle virtual desktops on W10 is the loving bomb and I highly recommend it. Ctrl+Win+Left and Right arrow keys are the hotkey change.

2 virtual desktops are good enough for me, so I use a single thumb button to just flip/flop between them. The mouse button is bound to Ctrl+Win+\ and this bit of autohotkey script converts that into the actual windows hotkeys for switching virtual desktops:
code:
*>#^\::
  SendMessage, 0x08 , 0, 0, , WinTitle, A, , , 200  ;0x08 WM_KILLFOCUS = tell active window to release key focus
                                                    ; prevents flashing taskbar (mostly)
  if (vdeskflip)
  {
    send {Blind}^#{Left}
    vdeskflip := false
  }
  else
  {
    send {Blind}^#{Right}
    vdeskflip := true
  }
Return
Simple thing, but massively useful.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Ooh that's interesting. I have a few macro keys on my keyboard bound to "send to back" and "send to other monitor" - those could be even more useful directly on the mouse.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

spider wisdom posted:

alright, yeah, i needed to hear it. growing up is hard.

if i wanted just a pinch more spice though, what’s the next-tier-up pick? another button or two? did anyone ape that logitech left/right tilt wheel?

Roccat has mice with that.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

codo27 posted:

I also have the R5. I like having as much as possible on the mouse and only using the keyboard for movement essentially. I miss some of the extra buttons on the big Rival 500 I used previously but it didn't take too long to adjust. And with a more lightweight, smaller mouse I feel like I'm more precise in warzone but maybe its placebo effect. For the side buttons, I think I went rocker up as tactical nade, rocker down is ping, front most button is melee, middle reload and rear is armor. On the 500 I used to use the ring finger button on the edge of RMB for the map, thats the one I miss the most.

I messed up my switch replacement on my r500, so I am still looking for a mouse. I kinda hate how the mouses are on the new rival 5.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1524041945596809218

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I bought the MX Master 3S and it works very well and is really great. It is just the MX Master 3, but with silent clicks. Thankfully that’s what I was hoping for.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there mice out there that don't require as much force to click?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

buglord posted:

Are there mice out there that don't require as much force to click?

Any of the razer mice with optical switches don't require too much force to click. Logitech Mice have Omron switches that might fail before 20 million clicks but if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can easily replace them with another microswitch for the mouse buttons. I have done for my Superlight with some TTC Golden Micro 80m and they feel really tuned in like the Omron switches but better quality.

Stay far away from Steelseries' optical magnetic switches. The switches require alot of focus to activate and it is really hard to get single clicks from them consistently. I have Steelseries Prime sitting in a drawer because of how much I hated those things.