Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Never really thought about it but in the US I think F1 is like the only sizeable sport that I can watch without paying a cable company or streaming service and without needing a VPN to say I am in Brazil or something to be able to see all the games.

Actually I think Willow.tv will let me watch a lot of Cricket if I wanted to but maybe not like the mega important international stuff? I don't know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
cricket is split between Willow/ESPN/HotStar or whatever that Indian service is called, i forgot who had which leagues/games except i think Hotstar had the IPL/international stuff

cycling is a total mess. NBC/Peacock has some, GCN has some, and everyone would really love to dump FloSports but they still have a contract with Flanders Classics so they still have the Tour of Flanders which is one of the big races of the year and you have to get a year subscription to watch it. big issue with cycling is that there's a single sanctioning body but multiple promoters who can all sign different contracts with different providers if they want. big benefit to F1 having one party for all the TV rights (before the original concorde agreement in like 1981 every race managed themselves in a way)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sports in the UK is a hot mess. Amazon, BT, Sky all own different bits of it and often the same sport. Moto GP and F1 are on completely separate platforms.

The only one that isn't messed up is the WWE TV which gives you every show plus all the live events for £10 a month iirc,

nerox
May 20, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

MLB.TV, watch every MLB game! (except for your local team's games. You still need to buy the most expensive cable package to watch your local team not make the playoffs.)

But does mlb.tv get Friday night baseball that streams on Apple TV+?

Luckily I have boomer parents that will never give up DirecTV, so I can use their login to get bally sports so I can actually watch the Braves.

Streaming sports is going to get way worse before it gets better I am afraid.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

nerox posted:

But does mlb.tv get Friday night baseball that streams on Apple TV+?

Luckily I have boomer parents that will never give up DirecTV, so I can use their login to get bally sports so I can actually watch the Braves.

I will say the Apple TV+ MLB games are far more enjoyable than regular games, mostly because the two I've watched featured Hannah Keyser and Katie Nolan on the announcing teams who both realize that nothing is more boring than people talking about baseball for 3 hours.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

nerox posted:

Nah, we are not that far off from everything being available on a streaming service. There's no real way it can get worse than it is now, where like you have to have both actual cable and Peacock in order to watch all the Premier League games.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

MLB.TV, watch every MLB game! (except for your local team's games. You still need to buy the most expensive cable package to watch your local team not make the playoffs.)
There's also some weird poo poo now where some Friday games are on Apple+.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

your friend wicka posted:

I think the most likely outcome is that someone like ESPN airs the race with ads on cable but ad-free on ESPN+.

ESPN+ stopped working for F1 this season. Is it working again?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
If F1TV goes away, I will go back to pirating Sky Sports F1

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I remember when I was wee F1 was on free telly. Sports TV is an absolute mess now.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah Rip to that extremely stupid UK guy who used to stream every race in HD in his subreddit

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Varsha, Matchett, and Hobbs will always have a special place for me.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yeah Rip to that extremely stupid UK guy who used to stream every race in HD in his subreddit
He was replaced with much better Linux ISOs that don't have his "personality" all over them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nah, we are not that far off from everything being available on a streaming service. There's no real way it can get worse than it is now, where like you have to have both actual cable and Peacock in order to watch all the Premier League games.

My prediction for this is that Netflix is basically going to eat poo poo for a year or so trying to peddle some ad filled subscription tier and telling password sharers to gently caress off before finally capitulating and forking out the dough for the streaming rights to a major sport and then everyone else is going to rush to sign one.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 25, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

Sports in the UK is a hot mess. Amazon, BT, Sky all own different bits of it and often the same sport. Moto GP and F1 are on completely separate platforms.

The only one that isn't messed up is the WWE TV which gives you every show plus all the live events for £10 a month iirc,

NBA league pass is the only other one I know about

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Miami "F1 Yacht Harbor" will be filled with Dumb gently caress Trump and :heritage: flags.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Apparently NFL game pass works flawlessly outside of the US and gets every game you want live and plays highlights during the US commercial breaks (which are frequent.)

The big problem most people report with it is that you have to watch the NFL.

Whenever I hear Crofty sell the “Sky Q customers can press their Sky Glass button and…” it makes me think that watching F1 in the UK must be poo poo like the NFL is here, but I’m not sure anything g could be worse than them.

nerox
May 20, 2001

The problem is not that it is available on a streaming service, its that you are going to need 3-4 different streaming subscriptions to watch just one sport. The industry is going to watch how this apple baseball thing goes. If people start subbing to Apple TV+ just to catch their favorite team on it, other streaming services are going to want to get in on that action. Rightsholders are going to sale in order to maximize their revenue and in the end its just going to be a pain in the rear end for the consumer.

I've joked for a long time that there are going to be more and more streaming services (Netflix, hulu, disney, peacock, etc.) and eventually they are going to get bundled and we are going to get back to the cable subscription model for streaming.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Apparently NFL game pass works flawlessly outside of the US and gets every game you want live and plays highlights during the US commercial breaks (which are frequent.)

The big problem most people report with it is that you have to watch the NFL.

Whenever I hear Crofty sell the “Sky Q customers can press their Sky Glass button and…” it makes me think that watching F1 in the UK must be poo poo like the NFL is here, but I’m not sure anything g could be worse than them.

I really like American Football but the way the NFL game is edited for broadcast is loving unwatchable (I'm pretty sure based on its popularity that like half the American population is lobotomised) and the Canadian ruleset is loving moronic and basically just results in an hour where each side tries twice to get the 10 yard gain all in one go before just loving punting it down the field.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Watching one live American football game is dire. The proper way to do it is to have Redzone on a screen for constant highlights you can look at and two games you care about to watch the back and forth on different screens. Redzone itself is way to ADD for me and you can't get a sense of the game the way it jumps so much.

F1TV looks nice are most Goins happy with the offering? Maybe I'll get that

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm another vote for f1tv if you can get it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

F1TV seems pretty great and they’ve even since fixed my big gripe of not being able to rewind during the live broadcast, plus access to F2 and F3 and all sorts of other F1 content if you care about it.

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

It looks like they are making this above ground?

So this is basically going to be a massive above ground kiddie pool? That owns. Lol if it leaks and floods the track in the middle of the race.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

nerox posted:

The problem is not that it is available on a streaming service, its that you are going to need 3-4 different streaming subscriptions to watch just one sport. The industry is going to watch how this apple baseball thing goes. If people start subbing to Apple TV+ just to catch their favorite team on it, other streaming services are going to want to get in on that action. Rightsholders are going to sale in order to maximize their revenue and in the end its just going to be a pain in the rear end for the consumer.

Yes, but those streaming services have more than just that sport. If you are a person who watches nothing other than baseball, not even any TV shows, then yes it will be a problem. But most people aren't that and most people will just have these streaming services anyway. Many people will subscribe to all the major streaming platforms by default and consequently just also have access to all the sports.

nerox posted:

I've joked for a long time that there are going to be more and more streaming services (Netflix, hulu, disney, peacock, etc.) and eventually they are going to get bundled and we are going to get back to the cable subscription model for streaming.

Lots of people make this dumb joke and it's always dumb because there is no logic behind the dumb suggestion that a bunch of competing companies would bundle their services together for no reason other than to justify the dumb claim that streaming is somehow turning into cable even though it resembles cable in literally zero ways. Obviously there were always going to be more and more streaming services and I am deeply confused by anyone who didn't see that coming - did you really think everyone paying $100/month for cable would turn into everyone paying $10/month for just Netflix? If so, be better at math. The point of OTT streaming is to replace the revenue being lost by cable, it always needed to grow in order to do so. Like, duh. Idk what world y'all are living in where corporations are just dying to make less money.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

italian quid posted:

My prediction for this is that Netflix is basically going to eat poo poo for a year or so trying to peddle some ad filled subscription tier and telling password sharers to gently caress off before finally capitulating and forking out the dough for the streaming rights to a major sport and then everyone else is going to rush to sign one.

I think they're just going to slide into irrelevancy and get bought by NBC after they get tired of polishing the turd that is Peacock, but you could be right too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of the best reasons to try and use F1TV over the Sky broadcast is to get away from the constant Sky adverts for other things they have on that weekend. Also no Horner pit wall radio link.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i'm wondering if that race will be successful. i kind of assumed it would be because europeans love excuses to go to Miami when they visit the US but who knows

I assume the Miami GP will be more South Americans/cocaine is accepted as payment, but yeah.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Waroduce posted:

Watching one live American football game is dire. The proper way to do it is to have Redzone on a screen for constant highlights you can look at and two games you care about to watch the back and forth on different screens. Redzone itself is way to ADD for me and you can't get a sense of the game the way it jumps so much.

F1TV looks nice are most Goins happy with the offering? Maybe I'll get that

I went to my first NFL game last year and honestly, it's 100000x better than going to a college football game live.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im enough of a cycling nerd that I actually do have all three necessary services to get every World Tour race lmao

Absolute insanity that the sport hasn't taken control of things and put it all under one promoter but it does have a major problem of the Tour de France promoter being able to throw their weight around

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

peepeepants posted:

It looks like they are making this above ground?

So this is basically going to be a massive above ground kiddie pool? That owns. Lol if it leaks and floods the track in the middle of the race.

Aren't they just gonna paint the ground blue and call it a day?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
F1tv was great with the PLC but they butchered it and now its not worth the money unless you have no other way to watch and even then…

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Did espn bump their quality or is it still 720p?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
every so often i check F1TV to see if they added old races and they haven't. like come on i want to rewatch 1997

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Full Collapse posted:

Speed was a great channel before it became all pinks all the time

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Speed was a great channel before it became all pinks all the time

And then it was still a great channel because Pinks owned

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
remember Texas Hardtails

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If you told me there was a show called Texas Hardtails about a company called Strokers Dallas I would not guess it's about motorcycles

E: lando

wicka fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 25, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Full Collapse posted:

I have a vague memory of the time F1 was loving around with FLIR type cameras. Matchett pointed out live that the Red Bull cars were really hot in places they shouldn't be, and a week or two later we were all talking about the new off-throttle engine mapping they were using. And just constant commentary on poo poo like the Coanda effect and so on. They didn't treat their audience as if they were stupid and the closest they cmae to favoritism was mocking teams who sucked and getting excited once in a while about American involvement in the sport.

No loving way is Crofty et al going to figure that poo poo out. The best Sky can do is have Button and Rosberg give interesting commentary. The fact they Sky continues to refuse to have anyone with any engineering/design experience on their commentary team is a massive loss for the sport at large.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Wanted to get into F1 this season. Unfortunately here in Australia it's only available via our lovely Murdoch Fox Sports conglomerate streaming service Kayo, which wants $25 a month for it, which will soon be a single stream only.

Sure you get alot of other sports for that price, but I have zero interest in anything else.

Currently wondering whether it's worth the inconvenience to see if I can't sign up for F1TV Pro and access via a VPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

I have a vague memory of the time F1 was loving around with FLIR type cameras. Matchett pointed out live that the Red Bull cars were really hot in places they shouldn't be, and a week or two later we were all talking about the new off-throttle engine mapping they were using. And just constant commentary on poo poo like the Coanda effect and so on. They didn't treat their audience as if they were stupid and the closest they cmae to favoritism was mocking teams who sucked and getting excited once in a while about American involvement in the sport.

No loving way is Crofty et al going to figure that poo poo out. The best Sky can do is have Button and Rosberg give interesting commentary. The fact they Sky continues to refuse to have anyone with any engineering/design experience on their commentary team is a massive loss for the sport at large.

No one except the biggest nerds in the entire universe gives a poo poo about any of that