Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm still kind of amazed how quickly Twitter went from, "Hell no we aren't selling to Musk" to "Hell Yes we'll sell to Musk!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm still kind of amazed how quickly Twitter went from, "Hell no we aren't selling to Musk" to "Hell Yes we'll sell to Musk!"

:10bux: times 4.5 billion is a lot of money to present to a group of people largely motivated by money.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea, but I thought the price he offered initially was around the same amount he's paying now. I guess it went up about 10% because I found an article from April 14th that said 41.4 billion, so I guess it's 45 billion now.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I'm about to spend almost $15,000 replacing my home HVAC!

I dropped $13k on a new high efficiency boiler because the ancient one that came with my house died less than a month after my 1-year home warranty policy expired.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

I'm getting an ecobee thermostat with my new system. I think they're supposed to be good? Either way, my HVAC is almost 15 years old, so here's hoping this new system I put in is better in a lot of ways.

We put in an ecobee 3 when we had to replace the furnace and AC a few years ago and it's pretty nice. No complaints and it seems to work flawlessly. You will just want to make sure your schedule is configured well enough to make use of the energy savings. Also, not sure what it's like in your area, but we got a rebate from the local energy company in exchange for enrolling in the energy savings deal thing. This allows the utility company to moderate your thermostat when demand is very high. It was a little concerning at first, but overall hasn't been an issue whatsoever. Just a heads up if your state has rebates because we didn't realize this meant relinquishing control when we agreed.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/kfile/status/1518628995331407873?s=21

Requesting username change to Marshall Law.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I would but I don't really play Tekken, I'm more of a Street Fighter kinda guy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Mr. Nice! posted:

He tried to go to American courts first and Chevron fought and made them go to Ecuadorian courts. He took them to court there and won, big. Then they came to America to claim their reward. In America, Chevron literally bribed one of the judges from the Ecuadorian case to lie a bunch to American courts. They gave him millions of dollars and a nice house here in the USA. He's admitted as much. Doesn't matter, though, as Chevron go the judgement tossed based upon his lies and used those lies to persecute Donziger.

From the wiki it sounds comically evil

quote:

Donziger was suspended from practicing law in New York in July 2018, based on rulings by US District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan in the Chevron case. The state bar association appointed an independent referee to investigate. The referee recommended Donziger's reinstatement in February 2020, saying "The extent of [Donziger’s] pursuit by Chevron is so extravagant, and at this point so unnecessary and punitive, [that] while not a factor in my recommendation, [it] is nonetheless background to it".[28] A state appeals court ruled in August 2020 that the referee had been "too dismissive" of the misconduct that Kaplan had alleged, and disbarred Donziger in New York. Martin Garbus, Donziger's lawyer, said the decision deprives Ecuadorians represented by Donziger of their main advocate and singles Donziger out because he "threatens Chevron and the fossil fuel industry".[35]

As part of the appeal process after the initial ruling, Kaplan ordered Donziger to submit his computer, phones, and other electronic devices to Chevron to allow it to search for his assets. Donziger refused, arguing that doing so would violate the attorney–client privilege of his clients, and appealed the order on constitutional grounds. While Donziger's appeal against the order was pending, Kaplan charged him with six counts of criminal contempt of court. The contempt charges allege that Donziger failed to comply with Kaplan's orders to submit his electronic devices and passport and to drop attempts to collect on the award against Chevron.[10][26] In a move described as "virtually unprecedented" by The Intercept, Kaplan appointed a private law firm, Seward & Kissel, to prosecute Donziger after the Southern District Court of New York declined to do so. In Jacobin magazine, David Sirota and Walker Bragman wrote that Seward & Kissel has represented Chevron directly as recently as 2018. Chris Hedges wrote that neither Kaplan nor Seward & Kissel disclosed that Chevron had been a client.

Rather than using the standard random assignment process for choosing a judge to preside over Donziger's trial for criminal contempt, Kaplan chose senior District Judge Loretta Preska. Preska had served on the advisory board of the Federalist Society, to which Chevron (along with other large American companies like Verizon, Google, Facebook, Time Warner, and others) had contributed at least $50,000 in 2012. In August 2019, Preska sentenced Donziger to home detention while awaiting trial. He was required to wear a GPS-equipped ankle bracelet. Preska ordered Donziger to post a bail bond of $800,000, which is a record for a misdemeanor case in the US. In May 2020, Preska ruled that Donziger's case would not be heard by a jury, which Donziger had requested. On May 18, 2020, Preska refused a request from Donziger's lawyer to allow Donziger to leave his apartment for three hours a day because she regarded him as a flight risk. The US District court disqualified two of Donziger's attorneys from appearing for him in the contempt trial. In August 2020, after two other attorneys were unable to appear in the trial, Preska ordered Andrew Frisch, Donziger's former lead defense attorney, to represent him. Martin Garbus, who also represents Donziger but was unable to attend the trial, said a trial with Frisch would not be "a constitutionally protected case" and that "Donziger is being forced to go to trial with a lawyer who doesn't want to be in the case, who doesn't get along with Donziger, and claims that before Donziger goes ahead with the trial he should pay him additional moneys".

In January 2022, The Nation wrote that it had obtained documents showing that Chevron, its law firm Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, and the private prosecutor appointed by Kaplan to prosecute Donziger, had collaborated in conducting the criminal contempt case. At least 32 meetings and numerous phone calls were held between the private prosecutor and lawyers from Gibson Dunn. Gibson Dunn said the time it spent consulting with the prosecution team was donated and not billed to Chevron. In discussing the cost of the criminal contempt prosecution against him, Donziger said "The total cost of my prosecution—for a misdemeanor—will be somewhere between $5 million and $10 million. A normal misdemeanor is like a $5,000 prosecution".

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Didn’t she just testify on Friday that she didn’t say that?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mysterious running water sounds will be your new phobia.

The stairs creak as you sleep it's keeping me awake
It's Addie telling us she needs a walk

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Twitter is about to be harambe epic bacon :cool:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

nests loving suck, I hate mine. I want to rip it out of the wall and smash it with a hammer

Wtf what’s so bad about it? I’ve had maybe 3-4 different ones in places I’ve lived and the one I didn’t like the most was the model that doesn’t have the spinny thing, it’s a touch-slide thing on the side. And that was just annoying more than anything else when I was actually touching it. 99% of the time I was just messing with it through the app.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

:hmmyes:

Silly Burrito posted:

Didn’t she just testify on Friday that she didn’t say that?

Who can say what happened reality is subjective

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/RamonVillalobos/status/1518589899661660162?t=J6DwjQU1FGmqmGMyYipxeA&s=19

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wtf what’s so bad about it? I’ve had maybe 3-4 different ones in places I’ve lived and the one I didn’t like the most was the model that doesn’t have the spinny thing, it’s a touch-slide thing on the side. And that was just annoying more than anything else when I was actually touching it. 99% of the time I was just messing with it through the app.

If I have the temp set at 70-75, for example, I'll check the app and it'll be below and above the number. Then it'll kick on. Or I'll tell it to kick on and it'll wait like a minute before it goes through. My old rear end honeywell worked way better.

Also lost in elon news
https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1518622905441177604

The Apes Are Gone

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

My tokens have been funged

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
What exactly do you do with a stolen NFT other than hold it hostage out of curiosity? I suppose re-sell it but NFT black markets are kind of breaking my head considering how dumb it would be.

Or just destroy it if possible I suppose if you want to do the right thing. I don't know enough about the blockchain, can you just like, delete the damned thing in some fashion?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Spoeank posted:

If I have the temp set at 70-75, for example, I'll check the app and it'll be below and above the number. Then it'll kick on. Or I'll tell it to kick on and it'll wait like a minute before it goes through. My old rear end honeywell worked way better.

Also lost in elon news
https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1518622905441177604

The Apes Are Gone

Did people link their NFT accounts to their instagram account or something?

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Did people link their NFT accounts to their instagram account or something?

I think the hacked Instagram had a link to some other site that was running a "promotion" and presumably once you linked your Metamask (maybe? I don't know which type of account) there it transferred everything

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
what a time we live in where there are heists of jpegs

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Intruder posted:

There have been heists of jpegs since jpegs were invented. Back then we had the good sense to know they weren't worth anything, though.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

All twitter users will now follow glorious President Xi if Elon wants the Shanghai factory to stay open

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Terry Crews said yesterday that he wants to do a heist special/movie with Brooklyn 99 crew and now I am imagining Boyle losing all his money in NFTs and them planning a heist to get it all back.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

swickles posted:

Terry Crews said yesterday that he wants to do a heist special/movie with Brooklyn 99 crew and now I am imagining Boyle losing all his money in NFTs and them planning a heist to get it all back.

Boyle simply refers to them as "my investments" until halfway through the movie when we learn they are NFTs

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Intruder posted:

Has anyone seen Danny Ocean???

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Musk buying Twitter just reinforces that a shitload of people have no loving clue how the first amendment works

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Joey Freshwater posted:

Musk buying Twitter just reinforces that a shitload of people have no loving clue how the first amendment works

I’m pretty sure a good percentage of people think it’s just “I can say what I want without consequences of any kind, even if it’s as minor as someone calling me a dingus”

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

I’m pretty sure a good percentage of people think it’s just “I can say what I want without consequences of any kind, even if it’s as minor as someone calling me a dingus”

It’s that and they think it applies to everything I.e. it’s a violation of the first amendment to be banned on Twitter because you’re a dumbass.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

saintonan posted:

There have been heists of jpegs since jpegs were invented. Back then we had the good sense to know they weren't worth anything, though.

I remember when Straightrazor (a person I met in real life) started the Disaster Guy thread back in 2001 and Stuntcock (another person I met in real life) got his Photoshop put on front page of the the NY Post and the "Stuntcock" part was edited out but the SA grenade logo was not edited out.

That's my .jpeg heist story, thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Marshall Law? Pfff America is wild and untamed like the red planet. We need some Martian Law. Who wants to be Sir Deimos Beater of Asses?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Intruder posted:

They aren't heisting the jpeg, they are heisting the location of the jpeg.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Amazing what you can accomplish when you have a spare 44 billion lying around doing nothing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Recruiter pings me on LinkedIn today, has a department lead opening for my (fairly narrow) field at an office where I live. I'm pretty comfy in my current role so I ask them a couple of softball questions about the role, and then ask about their salary target, thinking that it'll give me an excuse to say "thanks but no thanks" when they inevitably keep it vague. Not only do they give me a number, but it would be a 50% pay raise :shepface: So I guess I'm doing my first phone interview in almost three years tomorrow?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Alternatively, a whole lot of people are about to do a total 180 on the First Amendment.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Still relevant
https://mobile.twitter.com/turnip_tops/status/1464773484526063626

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

What’s the software equivalent to slapping Tesla stickers on a bunch of resmed home cpap machines and calling them ventilators?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Taking someone’s Open source project, removing the comments and license details, putting your own on it and releasing it for free to show how cool and good you are.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

What’s the software equivalent to slapping Tesla stickers on a bunch of resmed home cpap machines and calling them ventilators?

Incrementing the software version number to a larger number with no real benefits.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I just wanted to talk about the “ventilators” again but I should’ve known y’all would have an immediate answer lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/1518666694125703168?t=_3RtwSz8F5HoK_R7E2-jaw&s=19

Like, I understand why this is dumb and I barely understand technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

He is an ideas guy bank rolled by his fathers blood emerald mine. Understanding how things work is for plebeians.