Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kerrzhe posted:

i do because that's how i've played MMOs for 18 years

Crying and vomiting irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

spinning in place irl

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if they didn't want me to strafe with Q and E and turn with A and D they wouldn't be the default :colbert:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Play your JRPG with a controller you nerds.

Haukke Manor got rid of the corner lanterns.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I played ff11 with a controller and it's not an experience I would recommend

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Couldn't stay away. Lost the battle and resubbed just for PvP. Crystalline Conflict is too good. Immediately:

Now that I've gotten up a bracket I can gently caress around learning other classes again. Though part of me wants to just keep playing Bard forever. Having both a silence and a dispel becomes very influential as you internalize match flow and can better anticipate what's about to happen.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

sassassin posted:

Haukke Manor got rid of the corner lanterns.

I did Haukke Manor a few times and I still have no idea what those actually did.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

wdarkk posted:

I did Haukke Manor a few times and I still have no idea what those actually did.
Pulsed roomwide AoE. You could interact with them to shut that off, but most random groups just healed through.
They also made it so that she only summons one add at a time now - first the Sentry, then a Handmaiden.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
I used to play with A and S as strafe, turn and move both with the mouse. Every other button on that side of the keyboard (and alt and shift modifiers) were used for hotkeys because I like to have pretty much everything on a hotkey. I mostly play with controller now because, perhaps unsurprisingly, I got an RSI that made this hurt to keep doing!

I still heal on keyboard sometimes because not being able to click stuff like dead bodies from other alliances can be a pain sometimes, but I'm working on weaning myself off entirely. Controller support really is great in this game.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yup. I think it's because before FFXIV my biggest online games were the diablo games and occasionally starcraft. I was very accustomed to clicking things a lot because of those. I struggled with FFXIV for a bit in ARR until I learned about legacy controls. Turned that on and just focused on left hand movement and right had skills/camera, and took off from there.

There is no wrong way to play the game. All playstyles are viable. The number one most important thing you can do is always click your buttons. It doesn't matter whether you have a keybind, a controller, click things with a mouse, stop on a ddr pad, I don't care. Just make sure you're hitting something on every gcd and you'll do ok.

edited to change diablos to diablo games to clarify.

Hoooooold up, you're telling me you're a clicker because of Starcraft?

The game that pretty much codified APM and hotkey spam?

:stonk:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

RIP.

I was in the same boat after wow and killing A/D turn and making them strafe, freeing up Q/E for interesting buttons, and adding mouse-turn was the biggest improvement for me. But do whatever works because everyone has their own comfortable scheme.

A/D strafe freed up my Q/E to be used as context-switching buttons to switch between single target and AoE hotbars. I spent a day tinkering with my hotbars a few weeks ago and it's great now. I use the 4x3 grid to mirror my Naga's grid, with one modifier key (Shift) to give me 24 keys in a context. Pressing Q loads the single-target bar, pressing E loads AoE. I have F, G, and V bound for "stuff I want to easily tap but not super often." Like I'll use F for my melee excuse ranged attack, which I want to be able to spam (so no modifier key) but also don't want to dedicate a number for (because it's not a rotation staple). I'll grab a screenshot after work.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

sassassin posted:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

A Moose posted:

Yeah, but if you use The Giving Land and The Twelve's Bounty with your extra attempt skill you can get more than that every like, 3 minutes. The problem is that if you craft a bunch of the highest level CUL white scrip recipe, you can blow through like 300 crystals in way less time than it took to gather the materials, and you need a TON of white scrip to get the materia you need to craft 2 star stuff if you don't want to buy it.

I've been having my BTN retainer go farm the level 70-80 materials you need for CUL collectables, like the honey chips from Rak'tika and the wheat from Kholusia, since they bring back 50 at a time. I have my WAR retainer go hunt for Ovibos Milk (for the purple scrip CUL recipe) because he brings back 12 at a time and I think its more efficient than farming bicolor gems or just farming the mobs themselves

Yeah, fully agreed in general. I don't send my retainers for crystals often, there are usually better ways to get them and more important things to have retainers gathering. I was just pointing out that if you want crystals with an absolute minimum amount of personal effort, the method is there.

And I know how blowing through crystals goes for sure, probably used 3000 fire crystals or more in the past week, along with a bunch of water ones too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm a clicker because my fingers lock up easily. Can make it difficult to move just one at a time, or shift them quickly. I can do WASDQE movement fine, and there's some suggestion that with enough practice I could learn a good position for more, but the initial hurdle is so high I never bothered. I have similar issues with touch-typing despite years of trying to get on top of that. It's something I can kinda do, but I seem unable to move from "doing it accurately" to "doing it at speed".

Also because I have large hands and, while the trend seems to have reversed some, there are a lot of keyboards out there bragging about how small they are. Trying to keep home row positions on a non-"PC replacement brick" laptop makes my fingers ache.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

sassassin posted:

It's so nice

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Genovera posted:

Have you ever tried binding the letter keys around WASD? It's totally fine if you prefer clicking most buttons, but you could also use whichever of Q, E, R, F, Z, X, C, or V are most comfortable.

I use ESDF for movement, which opens up more options on the left side. I've got stuff bound to 1-6, A, Q, W, R, T and G. I use the bottom row for utility things like mount and map. I bind frequently used buttons to the letters and longer cooldowns to the numbers because the letters are closer to ESDF. The A binding is especially nice for abilities I use while moving, such as Ruin II on scholar, or want to access quickly, like interrupts.

With two side mouse buttons plus shift modifier for everything I have 28 hotkeys that are all comfortable for my hands.

I use all the movement keys including the strafe and turn keys, so that wouldn't work.

It is nice to see others are just like me!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

troofs posted:

I still heal on keyboard sometimes because not being able to click stuff like dead bodies from other alliances can be a pain sometimes, but I'm working on weaning myself off entirely. Controller support really is great in this game.
I've been a controller player since my first day, and I still keep mouse and keyboard handy for chatting and also cross-alliance rezzing/healing. I've picked up an entire separate alliance during Thunder God in Orbonne practically solo before the nerfs, but that's just not happening for me without at least being able to quickly mouse over the cross-alliance grid for strategic priority (i.e. tanks, healers, red mages and summoners, then other DPS).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Warmachine posted:

Hoooooold up, you're telling me you're a clicker because of Starcraft?

The game that pretty much codified APM and hotkey spam?

:stonk:

A/D strafe freed up my Q/E to be used as context-switching buttons to switch between single target and AoE hotbars. I spent a day tinkering with my hotbars a few weeks ago and it's great now. I use the 4x3 grid to mirror my Naga's grid, with one modifier key (Shift) to give me 24 keys in a context. Pressing Q loads the single-target bar, pressing E loads AoE. I have F, G, and V bound for "stuff I want to easily tap but not super often." Like I'll use F for my melee excuse ranged attack, which I want to be able to spam (so no modifier key) but also don't want to dedicate a number for (because it's not a rotation staple). I'll grab a screenshot after work.

Nah not so much star craft. I just meant that more in that I'd watch pro gamers and see them clicking all over the screen, and my clicking was similar by a friend's comparison.

I do click a whole lot.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's wild how different people's control schemes are. Mine is pretty obviously descended from FPS games, since I played them long before I touched a tab-targeting MMO. Honestly I'd probably play on controller if I hadn't played WoW first, but no way was I throwing away all that muscle memory. So it's WASD for me, with literally all the surrounding buttons bound to something or other (plus separate modifiers for shift and control). Plus a couple of mouse button binds.

Having ~40 buttons was necessary for playing a WoW healer, but these days I get super happy when I can minimize layout complexity. Double-great if I have room to bind Q and E to the same filler button to make it easier to strafe while attacking. SMN was great for this, since most of it's buttons were swaps, but so is PvP. Current layout showing my combat HUD and (hidden during combat) my button-bound bars:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I used to re-bind turn left/turn right to strafe but I patched the camera to not turn automatically in legacy mode so now I can just use default keybinds and it effectively strafes regardless.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Let's open up another :can:

What do you controller users run with? Legacy or Standard? Any other toggles you use? Justify your answers. :v:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Standard on controller seems like a particular kind of pain so I'm curious to know who's done it!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Vitamean posted:

Standard on controller seems like a particular kind of pain so I'm curious to know who's done it!

My friend did, accidentally. She started on keyboard and then switched to gamepad fairly early on, but it still left her on the keyboard defaults.

We didn't realize why she was having so much trouble backing up for the longest time. Like, until she got to Stormblood longest time.

She still helped the five of us clear Twintania and a bunch of Extremes synced with that handicap, so kudos to her.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I switched to ESDF movement, strafing on S and F and using mouse to turn decades ago and I'm not going to change how I MMO now.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I move with the arrow keys and use the numpad for abilities, and none of you can stop me.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

finally based numpad haver

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Another default key mover/clicker here, it's just more comfortable for me, been doing it for 20 years over WoW, Warcraft 2/3, and FFXIV.

The only real keybind I use is Alt-W and that's exclusively interrupts/stuns.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Maybe not an especially efficient layout, but the gaps help me keep track of my mouse cursor and grouping them into categories helps me remember what they're all for.

Warmachine's use of context-switching buttons for single-target/AoE situations sounds like it'd help a lot with keeping the AoE GCDs rolling, though, so I plan to try incorporating that soon. :hmmyes:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

What do you controller users run with? Legacy or Standard? Any other toggles you use? Justify your answers. :v:

Legacy, because then it feels like any other 3D third person camera game. FFXIV is my first non-RuneScape-when-I-was-eight MMO and all my action game experience is on console, so I felt more comfortable with a controller and stick movement.

I do have expanded cross hotbar and and WXHB. Expanded has my less used buttons (cooldowns and role actions, mostly) and WXHB is entirely extra stuff like my mount and Sprint and Teleport.

Hold is the only method worth using. :colbert: Toggle is too fiddly. Mixed is why are you doing that to yourself.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So for context on my work days I have to get up at 2 am. My days off I get up around 7 or 8, but even with sleeping in so I'm generally tired... all the time.

I don't know what it is about running dungeons in this game that makes me COMPLETELY unable to keep my eyes open when I'm tired but it's a real struggle. It's not like it's boring. I love running dungeons. Maybe because it's always such a chill experience because of how the community is, I become too comfortable and fall asleep? I could be completely fine until I queue up and then enter a dungeon and suddenly my eyes are heavy and I'm running into walls and not doing my rotation right, but again it's not like the game is boring or I don't enjoy playing it! What is this witchcraft YoshiP

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Legacy because standard is terrible.
I don't use double tap bars, because that feels tremendously awkward to me as an input, even messing around with the timing setting. I do, on the other hand, use the full expanded crossbar instead of having either combo going to the same 8 buttons, which I feel is somewhat uncommon. It's not that hard to remember order.
I have sprint on R3 via macro #99. No reason not to have it on a stick imo.
Probably the thing that gets the most confusion because it messes people up when I share pictures of my bars, I use the option where all dpad is on the left and all face buttons are on the right, instead of the default all LT on the left and all RT on the right. (Or in other words if that's unclear: LT dpad, RT dpad, LT face, RT face as opposed to LT dpad LT face, RT dpad, RT face) This just clicks better with my brain, I assume because the dpad and face buttons are more immediately visible than the triggers. Idk.
Except for healers, all of my jobs have a single target bar, an aoe bar, and the expanded crossbar that's accessible no matter which of the other two I'm on. I toggle between the st/aoe as needed by tapping R1. Healers are excepted since they need both single target and aoe heals all the time, and just using this system to swap for example glare and dia for holy and an empty slot feels... not particularly worthwhile. But for the rest of the jobs, it makes crossbar space a complete non-issue.

If that mess of words for the last two things didn't make sense, I can grab pictures later.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
I usually hate m/kb controls in anything but I got an MMO mouse with the buttons on the thumb side and I enjoyed that.

Ive tried 14 with a controller but. I dunno htf anyone plays the game with it how do you target anything? It didn't help that until reaper came out I was a WHM main so I dunno how anyone heals with a controller (one of my friends does but can't explain to me how he finds it intuitive). I also use mouse-over for healing though, I can't manage actually manually targeting people.

I just don't understand how people do targeting in anything. I'm pretty sure my inability to target things effectively is why despite like 25 wins in CC using WHM which people say is OP I'm still litterally at 0 stars bronze 3.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I'm a clicker specifically because of how my brain process stuff my reaction time is legitimately faster seeing the icon and clicking on it vs trying to memorize what each button is connected to which skill (across multiple jobs) :shrug: It's the same kind of thing where writing something down helps me remember stuff better than just reading it and remembering what I read

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

You target using the D-pad

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Edmond Dantes posted:

What’s the difference?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

legacy is the one that lets you turn immediately backwards when you tilt back

standard makes you backstep when you tilt back

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

The Black Stones posted:

What’s the difference?

standard: rotating the camera with the right stick rotates your character, when you move with the left stick your character continues facing forward
legacy: rotating the camera with the right stick doesn't rotate your character, when you move with the left stick your character faces the direction they're moving in

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Red Metal posted:

standard: rotating the camera with the right stick rotates your character, when you move with the left stick your character continues facing forward
legacy: rotating the camera with the right stick doesn't rotate your character, when you move with the left stick your character faces the direction they're moving in

Standard is tank controls Legacy is free smoovin

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Legacy is probably objectively better but I can't play without being able to turn with right click/drag, so standard I stay.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Legacy is probably objectively better but I can't play without being able to turn with right click/drag, so standard I stay.

You can, if you also hold left click and S at the same time :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I missed hotbar chat but this is me

And i bind my side mouse buttons to ctrl and shift so i can hit anything with a combo of left+right thumb