Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Blue Book posted:

"...weird enemies with abilities and descriptions unlike anything else outside of Island Events, though this is obvious whenever Moulder uses the Holy Wall to reflect and reveal..."

"...since there are cases of Light/Unholy fusions. For that matter, attempts to use diametric elements produce reliable messages, while attempts to use Dark/Holy always produces an inconsistent..."

"...being the 'worst' Ultimate Hell Art, it's also ironically the most survivable out of the resources available. Doubler's is inconquerable outside of degree. Moulder's only comes into play for those foolish enough to try to talk to it, but it trumps with frightening precision. Hunter's is even worse than Burner's, but isn't as hated purely for how few reach the finale of a Hunter fight, and the reassurance of the (low low low) chance a Will roll will negate it. Hider's is insanely lethal without its two demands of resistance, but it's hard to see her actually use it. Bleeder's lethality with his Art is only held back by his intentional AI design; the rare times he's gotten angry-smart, he's been a stalk-sniper executioner with it. Dancer's is the true #1, turning the latter of her fight into a frightening case of reflex and react against the nightmare motions of..."

"...really fun and got the onerun far, but no such Demon Deal has been seen since. A comparable one was the Fortune Eater deal, which allowed one of the hidden Luck scores to be seen, as well as the Luck score of other living beings, and the power to kill and harvest some of that Luck for a permanent..."

"...seems to have the Holy element; sometimes it's even generated an already-existing artifact but changed to be Holy! Mostly it's generated artifacts that have been seen nowhere else yet, and sometimes with descriptions that makes no sense, such as the 'False Gold Gauntlet' talking about..."

"...like Death Checks, happening irregularly at different thresholds, where your heart will try to tear itself..."

"...locational-changing glitches. It's known that there's code relating to an encounter with Alma, but not the typical ones you have with her when entering Paradise proper. Some of it even appears to be related to a Superboss encounter with her, the rewards of which would be enough to..."

"...categories, a quick rundown of why they're good includes; Immunity to Dark, Light, Ice, Fire, and Heart Attacks; doubled Defense; six instant kill shots; Immunity to Fire, Acid, and Thunder (plus a huge +crit); weak but safe HP draining..."

"...hand, mirror balls are safe, and for some reason especially attractive to the Gods of Thunder, who will gladly go out of their way to..."

"...consistent theme seems to be immense guilt..."

"...the hostage, which leads to the unexpected result of..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Interesting Doubler's meat doesn't count as Lordly Meat.

Very tantalized by the details about Moulder.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

If moulder is a rock and it was shouted to death, then HOLY HELL THAT'S SOME LUNGS.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.

The Blue Book posted:

"...hand, mirror balls are safe, and for some reason especially attractive to the Gods of Thunder, who will gladly go out of their way to..."

-ZEN- [Disco Inferno End]

The PC should get a mirror ball to hang in the hideout. I'm sure Kwiat would enjoy a bit of sparkly mood lighting while riding around triumphantly on the cleaning-bot.

ETA:

The Blue Book posted:

"...like Death Checks, happening irregularly at different thresholds, where your heart will try to tear itself..."

I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the "complications" mentioned in the Bloody Parasite's description if we tap the parasite's power too strongly. (Though I guess it's the heart trying to tear itself (something) rather than the parasite doing the tearing.)

PepperedMoth fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 22, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BERSERK

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

PepperedMoth posted:

ETA:

I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the "complications" mentioned in the Bloody Parasite's description if we tap the parasite's power too strongly. (Though I guess it's the heart trying to tear itself (something) rather than the parasite doing the tearing.)

I was thinking about Anxiety checks, actually. We know it can go above 100% from the Bleeder fight, so it doesn't look like an instakill. My guess is this is what would happen if we let it go that far.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

̴̧̢̧̀ ̸͟͜ ̷́̕͢ ̧ ̵̢̀͟͞ ̷̴͢ ̛̕҉͘ ̷ ̶͏̷ ͝͝ ̷̸͞ ́͝͏͝ ̷̢ ̨́ ̷̸̵̢ ̡̛͡ ̶̛͟͝ ͏̛͢͡ ͠҉ ̨̛̀ ̕ ̷̧́͞͞ ҉ ҉̀͘̕ ͟҉ ̵̧͠ ̢͟ ̢̕̕͞ ̴̕ ̸̧̀ ͠͏̧ ̶̧̧͢ ̴̡̨͠ ̵̡͢͏ ̕҉̶͢͢ ̸̕ ̵̶̵́ ̵̕͝ ͏̕҉́͜ ͏͏̛̀ ̨҉͏̡̛ ̧͘͟͡ ̶̛͜͝ ̡͠ ̧ ̨͡͡͡͝ ̷ ́҉͘͞ ̴̷̢̀̕ ̧̛͝ ͞ ͏̢͠҉͟ ̴̵̛͟ ́͠ ͏̛ ̶̢̛͡ ̴̨̛͘͜O̷̕͡k͜͜a͏̴̢͜y. You wipe your mouth on your tie, coughing from feeling the meal sett- what?

ANXIETY: [?!%]

No, that doesn't make sense. The diamond cleaved clean. You meditated silver. Where did that cooling color go? Hold on. You're standing up next to an overgrown bench and you realize you're doing it twice; suddenly your pulse skyrockets and you collapse with a weak cry. Something is wrong!!

ANXIETY: [ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][ !! ][80%] [DANGER]

No! No! Stop! The parasite is awake and screaming and your stomach HURTS!

Trash Compactor posted:

IT'S BAD YOU'RE BAD THIS IS BAD OUT OUT OUT

You can't! If you vomit, something horrible will happen! Please, please, please, let the iron of your bowels seal. Please. Please.

(HT - Please) 15(-5) [1]+[1]+[4] = 6 - Success!

You urp, and then lie down curled up and hidden while you groan over the cramps and the ugly uneasy of your heart going too fast. But you keep it down, and soon you're back to ground. It was just here; where is the Silver? But you've forgotten. It's happening somewhen else in your brain. You shiver, and fall back to the killtense.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%] [Tense...]

Sweaty, sore, and sickly, you look around with the profound unease. You think you want to wander out into the square but your body sudden-screams no no no no no no no, don't dare don't you dare. So you dare to don't and leap to lean through into the grandiose double door entrance of the southeast building instead. It's huge... deformed. Deformed. You feel sick. You keep it down. The building's middle seems to be cored, perfectly cut through to reveal the cross section. A three-displaced meld of apartments, plants, and dark metal halls with red lights. Layers of material filling empty space and intersecting in bizarre ways, rooms puzzled together from a dozen pieces, entire hanging gardens, hundreds of constructed catwalks and ladders. The tumor's bloat makes you lean over with cheeks bulged as you gag so hard your chest strains itself. You don't inhale air for a long minute, afraid the stink will make your sick to completion. This is all wrong.

You hurry away from a grand stairwell of extreme vinegrowths, and instead skulk around the corner to one of the rooms made from the dark steel. No red lights; instead there's a small arcade and lounge. You have to find Paprika's pack, and you have no idea whether that's already happened yet or not. You feel sick. What's wrong? Someone is supposed to be here. You're sitting at the bar counter and you want a drink to stop feeling so sick with the sheer weight of duality gently pulling your bowels clean in two. You pound the counter and gulp air, shaking the sensation off just long enough to try to remember what's going wrong, and what's going on. Think!

(IQ - Order Your Thoughts) 10 [6]+[6]+[3] = 15 - Failure.

Trash Compactor posted:

Hi. All of the blood you used to rush to me to deal with your incredible intestinal disorder has left your brain with enough supply to do 2 seconds of cognizance, which mea- and it's gone. It's gone. You're flatlined. Should have used blood to empower it, but you're not really able to think right enough to make yourself think right enough. Anyways, you fed me and the Six-Pack is protein-sated, so I'm driving. The pain made me pretty sharp. We're going to use Belly Magic, aka 'Gut Instinct', to get us out of this mess. I've sent the instructions up to the cranium. Now, I may be fed, but I could use a lot more to deal with the emotional meltdown of being caught in an amnesia-inducing paranoia loop, like more food, or alcohol. The instructions were basically 'ape out and goblin about until you find that Pack and then Get The Hell Out'. Now, is the pack even here, in this building? I'm going to wait to see what the brain does once the instructions flash off of the neurons; then we can ask the Silver if it knows.

(!ESP β) 11 [1]+[1]+[6] = 8 - Success!

The Silver Garbage Bag posted:

Wow. It actually does. See? Clearly you think better with me than with that infected lump of delusional spinesponge. It's a really messy reflection from the memory distance, but something really weird is happening with your sense of time so it comes through just clear enough to tell me 'Top Floor'. Now, which one? This one? Other one? That spooky half-collapsed plant one? Not sure. We may as well start with this one, but first you need to do the ape thing I packaged to your neurons. I'm about to try puking again because something is going really wrong and it feels just awful. Good luck! Feed me!

You're face down on the counter drooling bile and moaning to yourself. You're in intense bodily distress, and you have no idea why, and you know that not knowing why is part of the bodily distress. You think that two people are supposed to be here, but they're never going to be, because that hasn't happened already. This is awful! You don't dare try to think what the mushrooms have to say, because then you'll get nothing done. You need to animate, so you follow your gut to the glitter of the nearby arcade.

You dig around and kick a few of the machines, feeling weirdly aggressive and lacking focus besides 'Up', which feels like the most anxiety-inducing thing in the world. So you need to clear your head first to make any sense of this situation you're repeating yourself in, and you don't dare want to sing because then someone will notice and they'll be enraged if they catch you doing that. You have to be scary, right now. Threatening. Like you mean harm. So you bungle over the sweetfill carpet to the warm aglow of one alluring machine in the shape of a white pyramid, with an eye you step into and 'see' through while using a false gun. The inside is spacious and neonbright, crawling with strange hieroglyphs and symbols of fortune. The fake gun is a very heavy and pleasing gold one, able to blast hololight bullets when the game begins. It's simple play with two easy flavors; incredible high fidelity wishtech holocolor display, and the plain of shooting things well. You got a LOT of crap to work out, and you're only thinking of the short term stuff. So you sling the gun, until the work is done.

(!Tyranny - Gunslinger) 18 [2]+[2]+[1] = 5 - Success!!!

ANXIETY: [ X ][20%] [Actually Way More Anxious Than This But Unable To Remember Why After The Gun High]

WOW! You play it like a true ace, falling into an immediate psychostate of mowing down legions of Venusian monsters and mutant freaks. You play so well you manage to win the game, and land yourself at the #3 spot! You don't know how to change the letters, so you just shoot the screen until three blank spaces are filled. #1 is DNC, and #2 is DES. You're sure it's over, but then the gun starts to glow, and an image of an enormous eye opening hovers before you as you get a psychic shock from transmitters built into the gun and machine. The pyramid then powers back down to its dimglow state, and you sink from sensory overload to the white smooth floor. Ow. Wow. An idea is forming in your mutated neurons, and it has the shape of a gun. You're going to stand up and start climbing to the top of the building, but first you need to think.

What idea is forming in your skull? The game liked how well you gunplayed.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Whoever voted for "Not infinite bullets", explain your reasoning. I MIGHT accept it if it involves WANTING TO BE A "BIG SHOT".

Also, one has to wonder tho DES is.

And yeah, the reason we are in this distress is that p sure eating mcd hamurgers is a bad idea from now on.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 25, 2022

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I'll be honest, i don't remember the writeup on the guns and i just picked the one with the coolest name.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nea posted:

I'll be honest, i don't remember the writeup on the guns and i just picked the one with the coolest name.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Nea posted:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Gun God Gift

You Know The Answer: 'Avi's Question' - 14
Curve The Bullet: 'Formula Off' - 6
HP For Ammo: 'Bloodfire' - 6
Multishot Chance: 'Big Bang' - 5

...LOADING

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Evidently, we are the one who can outsmart bullet.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

A play on "dodging the question", perhaps?

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Now I'm imagining the Tyrant Child trying to once again intimidate someone by shooting themselves in the head... and missing.

(I know, I know, mechanics-wise shooting yourself is probably an auto-success, but still. :v:)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

This seems extremely useful for when we inevitably start tangling with Hunter and her mechanised cult in a serious way.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PepperedMoth posted:

Now I'm imagining the Tyrant Child trying to once again intimidate someone by shooting themselves in the head... and missing.

(I know, I know, mechanics-wise shooting yourself is probably an auto-success, but still. :v:)

Haven't you seen Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? Our stand would grab the bullet out of the air before the bullet hit us.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pumpinglemma posted:

This seems extremely useful for when we inevitably start tangling with Hunter and her mechanised cult in a serious way.

Boy it sure does

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Although you're locked deep into a frightening body-seize, you can still think clearly enough to notice that the game has imprinted something onto the Silver Mind. It's a psychic method that works feedback into the body, forcing it to react before the thought to react even forms in the first place, cutting out the middleman. The ice cold to stare down a gun, the lightspeed to trick its trajectory, and the PSI that feeds your body the sly it needs to pull data from seconds before and ahead to feed into the now.

You stumble with vertigo when you get back to the bar, leaning on it to take in air. You're so glad you got some food in you and managed to keep it down. Your head is pounding from the game's overload of light and sound, but it's a welcome distraction from the still-lingering sensation of something being terribly wrong in and around you. Up. Remember? You need to go Up. There's supposed to be two people here who are supposed to take you down into the green grass underground, but they never happened yet, so you're free to walk out of the way and simply ascend the stairs into something else.

You leave, and the arcade blows itself out electronically as it powers up twice. You don't notice the terrible sound, now too far up the stairs and dragged through the currents of something going on, of something going wrong. There are wedges stuck fast between your body, mind, and soul, the three clinking together irregular like colored weights as you follow the lifesaving directive of "go upstairs and find her stuff already". The currents keep you calm, since your thoughts can't catch up to your body and soul fast enough to experience panic over what's happening. There's just clean silver spackled with diamond dust and engraved with the Gun God secret, and the stark thought of some supposed pack.

You're standing on the first major level of the trifuse building; here, the marble is plated with grass green, the walls crawls with vines and flower, and the ceiling drapes jungle. Your body torn threeway thinks 'LOST'. You tender your stomach and spine, leaning against a cooling-damp patch of dark moss that flows out of a perfect white wall. Your thoughts drift on the current, and you find yourself wishing the Silver Mind would shine like it did before. Your abuse has tarnished its surface, producing both miracles and malice from that Darkened state. You need to listen to it more in meditative calm. There's no judgment of that thought or yourself when you have it, it simply passes by you as an obvious truth. You search for the next stairs of ascent through the currents, body trapped in a sine wave that dips with stomach-searching pain and bodily overheat, and peaks with a warm mindless dreamwalk with the background mental noise crying klaxon over the anomaly you're walking through.

You keep thinking of the Sun.

The overgrowth halls help the calm with their ambience, a pleasing follow of pure angular halls of white, perfect frame and maybe a little too small, every inch of it patched by overgrowths and intentional placements of hanging pots and standing vases. Hidden inside the unknowable walls was some complex watering and draininge system that saw the plants in some state of drippy sweet wet. Sometimes, there's an errant puft of mist filling a hall. Each door does not have a number, but a flower instead, of a regular series of colors and shapes that seem to correspond to numbers, or maybe individual choice. You pause for a second when you realize that you can't find any sources of light, despite every surface being perfectly lit. The walls themselves seem to be secreting the light, directing it somehow to not have any one obvious source. You're tempted to open some of the doors, but you already know that there's nobody left here... and you need to stay on the good side of your promise. Just go Up.

Thankfully, despite the dementia of the designers, there was the sense and love of an obvious path to follow, with gentle flower lines delineating directions to follow. The clearly stair-shaped bundle guides you to the grandcurve palace steps that spiral you into a slow darkness. Eventually, red lights grow out of the walls, which have begun to gain a metallic hue, dulling from plaster white down down down until it becomes something intensely dark. You get to the top of the stairs and quickly walk out to see down the middle of the building's heart, nervous with the surround and its quality of sound.

Everywhere here has given to the most intense halls of mechanical extreme. Your body torn threeway thinks 'DARK'. The black metal... it's just like the stuff that Hunter's dream machine was made of. Pitch gravity black, dense and evil lean. It only shines because it captures photons on its surface before they unstick to escape the terrible pull. The red light growths serve as markers and guides. You're surprised to find that living love has been installed throughout the blackmetal halls. Red glass patterns, little stone wall-inset vases with intense looking flowers who are kept from growing too dangerous, incredible installs that showcase glass pumps of lava from geothermal links, and endless slide doors decorated with chemical symbols in colored glass. The recall of Hunter's horror has you following the current faster to avoid the anxiety that comes with thinking of her. Although you've answered the question of some of her armaments, you haven't yet answered them all. Killing one Lord has planted a seed of nightmare inside of your heart, and it's swiftly crying to be fed the blood of more Lords to give you confidence. Well, metaphor aside, you wonder on the parasite in your heart and what would happen if you did feed on a Lord's blood... you let that psychotic thought pass by in the current too, but it's very much there. Thankfully, your parasite is too incoherent with the rending to notice the delectable idea. You walk by a poster on the wall, advertising tourist packages to 'Dust; the sorcery-tech wonderland' and 'Ultrablack; the perfect-grade suburb for only the perfect-grade people'.

Look, there. Near the posters. Glass shaped like stairs, pointing the way to the blackmetal square flights. You follow them up with increasing coherence and less pain pulling your organs apart, the slow crawl of anxiety now finally finding foothold back in your heart. The pressure is immense as you come out to the top floor area.

It's more apartments, but they're not plant or blackmetal themed now; they're a riot of individual appeal, a crazed mass of the earliest wish-efforts and power expressions of the cults. Your body torn threeway thinks 'HOLY'. You're up high enough now that the Silver Mind reflects the idea of Shattyshot down to you, making you recall what he told you about the place before they left it. You stop to look at one decorated door. The name carved into its is 'Shark Water'. It's covered with images and art of sharks, with lots of shark teeth and bloodpaint, as well as dozens of vials of a liquid that has long since dried out into a gummy red paste. Another door has the name 'Lucy's Sad', and is absolutely covered with uncomfortably depressing and unhappy imagery and poetry. A third you pass is for '90 Cross', an impressive door made entirely out of arcade machine parts, arranged and still partly lit up to make opening the door a matter of playing a brief game.

You keep walking in search of a final ascent, skimming the surfaces between your thoughts as they were outside the building's anomaly, and the current of self-softening strange that leaves you trapped in the pain of dreamwalk. More names and strange personalized design flit through your perception - the neon paintjobs of 'Pastel Hell', the gold bangles and art deco styles of 'Thuderglot', the starry purples of 'Psychic Psycho'. There's so many of them you've yet to deal with. So many lives you're in swear to spare. Impossible. Absolute fool's errand. You're still succeeding and will continue to succeed. But there will be challenges to that promise, time and again without love. The anxiety of that begins to bubble up under your, and its acidic dark finally manages to pierce the separation, and glues your body, mind, and soul back together with the familiar old sick of worry worry worry.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%] [Tense Tense Tense...]

Yes... yes! You're here to get Paprika's pack! You remember to forget for the seventh time, gasping in air and blinking against the intense light. The... light? There's no lights turned on, but there are windows. Tons of them, everywhere, the shapes and sizes adapting to their corners. Why so much light? You stare out the window and see the bizarre of clear blue sky. You find one window to open, crack it, and peek... seeing a cloudy sky. Huh? The glass appears to filter out clouds, allowing it seem as though a bright day was filtering through. It doesn't ease you, but you do manage to take in some needed fresh air while you deal with your confusion. Something WEIRD is happening here, and you can't tell what it is. It hurts your body, like you're being pulled two different ways. You need to find this pack and get out of here. Yo-

"HEY."

Oh God.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%] [TENSE]

You turn around quick. Th- RIFLE. AIMED AT YOU. Ah. Wait. Wait, is that bad? You think that's a question you can answer, but you... wait, that rifle. It's all old and musty and overgrown. You've seen it. The one holding it, the one speaking, is some weird stocky dryad in purple velour. Humorless face. Scowl. Fury in her eyes. Killing intent. Ready ready. She's going to go for the click, she's going for it quick. Do you know her? You're trying to remembering something that's happened, but it's lost in the glare of the Sun. You need to act immediately and you're too lost to do anything but trust reflex. Her finger is going for the click.

You shout.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

quote:

Pop pop?

Wheat? Leaning wheat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Paprika Blue posted:

"Look at the colorline. Take my hills to the north edge. Go straight across until you hit the river- do not go inside of the enclosed woodland. If you follow the river, you'll find safe longwalks across the river. Cut northeast, there's another longwalk. Then... you'll be close to out of the woods. Don't leave them. It's an ogre zone. Just find a highway, 76, do NOT go on it, and keep going southeast. One last longwalk. Follow the river south, you'll see the apartments when you get high up enough. Say- say it. To any crew. Say Paprika Blue-" she puts a stiff emphasis on her Blue, "-sent you with the color 'Wheat'."

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Color Memory Reflex Quiz

WHITE! - 0
WENGE! - 0
WHEAT! - 9
WISTERIA! - 0

...LOADING

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

WHEAT! WHEAT! YOU WERE SENT WITH WHEAT!!!!!

Why did you say that?! You know that you know why, but you still have one foot trapped in the strange current drowning this building, and it's robbed you of context. You find your body shaking weirdly from a mixture of anxiety, confusion, and shock. The stocky dryad takes aim a second time, but doesn't do anything while she breathes heavily and waits a beat before she speaks, confused. "Wheat? You were sent with... what?"

Paprika! You blurt out her name at last. Paprika Blue! She sent you with 'wheat'! The dryad pauses again, and stares at your head. She hesitates further, thin͏̸̢̡͝k̢̡͏į̨ń̢̛́͡g̶͘͜͝͞ ̢͜͏͞ ̶̨̀͜͠ ̢̡͜͠ ̨̕͡ ͘͞͡ ̢́͞ ̴̡͜͠͠ ̨̨̡̛͞ ҉̶̸̧ ̡͡ ҉̶ ̧͜͜ ̛ ̸͠͡ ̛͘͢҉ ̶̵͠ ̴̢ ̧̛͡ ̷̢ ̕ ̴̸͡ ͘̕͞ ̶҉ ̧҉͟ ̢͞͡ ̧ ͘̕ ̵̢͝͞ ͏̡̀͞ ̢̡̧͡ ̧́͠ ̵͝͠ ̸̡ ͟͢͝ ̷ ͏͞͞ ̴̨̕͝͞ ̶̷̨͟ ̕͠ ̡̧̛ ̛̀́͘͠ ̷̛͞ ̷ ̨̛̀̕͝ ̶̶̨ ̸͏̷͘ ͘͟ ̵̡ ̴͏̢ ̸͘҉͘͟ ͏̧̢͜͝l̨̢͞ó̴͏͏ơ͟k̷̛ing out the window while she packs down pills and gums, clearly stressed enough to dip into her ever-dwindling supply. This seems to give her the chill to seek a thrill, instead of a kill. She sighs at it hits, adjusting her pinstripe pants. "Of course that lazy scag would pull that. She doesn't paint a poo poo for this place anymore. She can't even ask one of us for the favor. rear end in a top hat. Fine! Yes, of course you can take her pack to her. But we need to take care of the overgrowth problem in order to even get to her apartment. It's nearly killed some of us with how bad it's become in the last few weeks, Singer. We have an issue with a growth-promoter we need to haul out of the southwest basement. I know it's a lot to ask of a stranger with your condition, but if you're willing to help out, I don't mind handing you the keys to a room of your own on top of letting you get Paprika's stuff. Would that interest you?"

You-

You both stare at each other, unspeaking for an entire minute in the warm hum of the colorful apartment halls. You startle, realizing that you need to say something to break your mutual trance inside the current. What are you doing again for the first time? What's gone wrong? What's going on? You agree because you need that pack, and you need to escape this current before it takes you somewhere inescapable. You have to keep the momentum going. Gotta get this pack. How many promises will you go down through before they all collapse? Why are you thinking about bells when you say that? The color wheat feels like false gold in your brain. It feels like a sickle. It feels like a feather. Desperate to retrack your thoughts into coherence, you nod for the fifth time sixth time, and then realize that nothing can happen until you ask something in return; otherwise you'll keep nodding until you drop dead, and she'll just keep scowling in waiting, neither of you able to escape the current.

What should you ask before you head down, into the green grass underground?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
god i forgot about this lady's weird ableist poo poo. just get some stuff or another backup, she's an rear end in a top hat we can probably get someone better to come with.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I'm very tempted to just make the promise then bail. Our shadow remembering something that hasn't happened yet (in this run) so distinctly is a bad sign.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, I’m voting for an item. Taking care of this feels like it could get us closer to allying with the Backup, which we really really need to do, but reading her mind feels risky and having her along feels stressful (which for us is also risky).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, but I thought... moloch buster... but...

How many weapons did Burner stash here?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Randalor posted:

Wait, but I thought... moloch buster... but...

How many weapons did Burner stash here?
Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if, because we glitched our way out of the event instead of actually resolving it properly, Moloch Buster is still treated as being down there. And may even actually still be down there despite us already carrying it, since from what the player was thinking about when we t-posed out of the party I suspect that we weren't meant to be able to actually keep it.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I still can't help but wonder what would have happened if we full-on groundhog day'd it up, re-meeting Scattyshot by the river and all

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

GilliamYaeger posted:

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if, because we glitched our way out of the event instead of actually resolving it properly, Moloch Buster is still treated as being down there. And may even actually still be down there despite us already carrying it, since from what the player was thinking about when we t-posed out of the party I suspect that we weren't meant to be able to actually keep it.

Yeah, I think that's it. That's why there was a mention of two people that were meant to be leading us underground, one of them being Fire Joker. We already started that quest but we never finished it because the sun blew up and everything glitched out. I guess that's why this quest never got added to our character sheet.

So I guess it's like an RPG where we abandoned a quest halfway through and now we're retaking it, and the NPC is just repeating the same dialogue.

This may be an opportunity to do the quest "right" (though reality seems to be a bit unstable still).

But what about Bloodshop? I think he also went down with us to the underground forest as well? He is the liaison to the Congregation, so I can't imagine Bleeder's death didn't affect him.

I voted to get the pack and leave since this quest was mentioned to be a death trap by the player, btw:

Black August posted:

[COME ON.]

[COME ON COME ON COME ON!]

[NOT LIKE THIS.]

[NOT LIKE THIS!]

[Why did this happen? What was that event?!]

[It's been nearly two weeks. Two weeks since the partial-crash. It was completely routine - interact with Fire Joker, get the quest where she tries to get you killed by taking you down into the underground, where the terminally corrupt dryads act as instant-death traps. A sure killer for first-time onerunners, and a threat for anyone experienced.]

[But the second the ladder was descended, nothing went the way it should. The screen blanked out, and when it redrew itself the map was already at the absolute bottom of the underground, in the hellish pit with dozens of dryads surrounding the randomly spawned item. Usually it was a ritual object, or a fire-related item, but very rarely it could be one of the weapons from Burner's Flower of Destruction. If it was one of the weapons, then it had a table of weighted drops for which one it could be. The Moloch Buster was the rarest of the seven - the chance of it appearing was calculated to be somewhere in the 1-in-900000 range...]

[There it was. In the inventory. Usually this would be a catch; you either returned the item to Fire Joker, or you ran away with it and tanked your relations with the Backup and the Sunburners.]

[But the moment it was picked up, the map lost coherence. What was formerly the deepest of the underground forest was instead trying to load the apartments above, with the party that happens after the item is given back. But the Moloch Buster was still there! That didn't really matter in the moment; the party wasn't stable. Dozens of weirdly-named @s were glitching in, each one with nonsense dialogue.]

Grond fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 29, 2022

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Ugh. I really really do not want us to go in there and do what she says. The quest is already dangerous and then there's the glitches that are making me really really not want to try to do this again. But also I feel like if we bail it will gently caress up our relations with the backup and even worse, Fire Joker's the Liason to the Sunburners.

Ughhhhhh if we're going to do this we're at the very least sure as hell not going alone.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Oh crap, it’s that quest. I wish I’d remembered that before voting. Welp, fingers crossed!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, we COULD just resolve the quest by giving her the Moloch Buster then. On the one hand, we would be missing out on the Buster, on the other hand, it's not like we can use the drat thing anyways.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I don't think we can afford to give up the Buster, we already have near-Fire immunity, which is just a hop away from Nuclear immunity, and if we get that it's the only way we currently possess to deal with Moulder

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

JT Jag posted:

I don't think we can afford to give up the Buster, we already have near-Fire immunity, which is just a hop away from Nuclear immunity, and if we get that it's the only way we currently possess to deal with Moulder

IF we can get the case open by the time we deal with Moulder, but weren't we told the next megalith run is Burner's megalith? And if we're going to be potentially just handing her the Buster ANYWAYS by dint of going to her megalith, we may as well try getting some good reputation out of it. Basically, I'm arguing that if the opportunity to unfuck the quest by handing over moloch Buster comes up, we should at least consider offering it up. Right now it's a useless item in our inventory.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
The Buster's back at the Hideout, anyways. I'm not sure how well Fire Joker would react to us responding to her request by just up and disappearing for a few days to travel there and back. :cheeky:

I voted to request additional Backup backup, but now I'm wondering if that would just lead to extra glitchiness if we re-meet someone we met during the last attempt at Paprika's quest.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, maybe if this causes the quest to spawn a second item, maybe we'll get to have our cake and eat it too. Though I'm doubtful of that, we may just have to bring back the Buster to fix the quest.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Doing It Again For The First Time

Try to glean a way to convince her to go with you. [!ESP Check 11] - 7
Ask her if she'd be willing to lend you an item to help. - 13
See if she can rustle up a Backup to... back you up. - 6
Agree to help, but just wander off to find the pack and then leave. - 5
Just head to the southwest building without delay. - 3

...LOADING

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

have to wonder if we might just end up with two moloch busters (which may also be the same buster) out of this, somehow.
One still stuck in its container, the other ready to use whenever
what we would actually want to do with that much firepower is another matter, but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fire one Moloch Buster at the case of the second Moloch Buster so we can dual-wield that poo poo?