Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Grittybeard posted:

What's up with Nakobe Dean's fall, er like fall from early predictions anyway if that Mcshay thing is correct? Did something pop up about him that I missed?

He seems to be a very fun player that can fit in a whole lot of different situations from what I saw watching him.

He's 5'11" and has short arms, teams see that and maybe see two or three other guys in this draft who play similar to Dean at a similar size and think they can get 95% of what Dean does in the fifth round instead of the first round. Please ignore the fact that he helped keep both Monty Rice and Channing Tindall on the bench and made sure Quay Walker knew exactly what to do every play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

wandler20 posted:

Wow, didn't Linderbaum have top 10 hype a month or so ago?

Been a couple months since then but yeah. Can get a good to adequate center in the middle of the draft so why spend a premium pick on not a receiver, tackle, edge or qb.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

wandler20 posted:

Wow, didn't Linderbaum have top 10 hype a month or so ago?

Then his arms were measured.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Um I would freaking love Nakobe Dean

but the Chiefs already have him. His name is Nick Bolton

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1518681411032657920

Belichick probably looking to grab a special teams player in the 6th or 7th from a JUCO program who is going to make Steve Tasker’s career look like a burlap sack of spoiled chicken gizzards.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Hizawk posted:

I wonder if NFL Draft big boards are better immediately after the CFB season than after months of additional research and nitpicking.

Seems like there's always a lot of late risers...

That don't usually pan out.

They're the most fun looking at them 3-5 years later once the dust settles and all the "experts" look like idiots

And, yeah the USA Today website is an abomination

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you can get surgery to lengthen your arms for probably the cost of one or two game checks. cheques. but you can't get those better checks without the longer arms

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Been a couple months since then but yeah. Can get a good to adequate center in the middle of the draft so why spend a premium pick on not a receiver, tackle, edge or qb.

Yeah I agree with that and no way I'm drafting a center in the first but it has been a pretty wild fall for him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Um I would freaking love Nakobe Dean

but the Chiefs already have him. His name is Nick Bolton

I mean I disagree with this quite a bit whether or not either of them works out (Bolton has been working out pretty damned well so far of course). Bolton is an instinctive player who reads everything well and it makes up for all the stuff that isn't perfect about him. Not that Dean doesn't do that stuff to some extent from what I can tell, but he's over the top athletic in a way that Bolton decidedly isn't.

They are both pretty small for the position they are playing though I guess.

e: I mean I hope they're both awesome, just saying they are pretty different guys.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 25, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

it was just solely because they play the same position

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

wandler20 posted:

Yeah I agree with that and no way I'm drafting a center in the first but it has been a pretty wild fall for him.

I definitely think some centers are worth a late first round pick, but as good as Lindybum is, he’s not one of those centers.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Cavauro posted:

you can get surgery to lengthen your arms for probably the cost of one or two game checks. cheques. but you can't get those better checks without the longer arms

which came first, the game cheque or the arm-lengthening surgery?

a real conundrum.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Gonz posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1518681411032657920

Belichick probably looking to grab a special teams player in the 6th or 7th from a JUCO program who is going to make Steve Tasker’s career look like a burlap sack of spoiled chicken gizzards.

What an odd move to happen 3 days in advance

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

We go through this every year and I swear to god the most important lesson regarding this annual ritual is that no one really knows jack poo poo or a god damned loving thing about how these guys will ultimately play out, with a few exceptions. They really don't. I include a lot of GM's in that mix too; guys who get paid to know this stuff. It's fascinating to look back on a lot of trades and players who got moved where talent needy teams made odd trades and the other dudes they passed over with the benefit of hindsight and it happens year after year. It's loving great.

Makes me feel better whenever I gently caress up at my non six figure making job.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 25, 2022

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Ok this USA today article is amazing

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-nfl-draft-top-50-players-kyle-hamilton-jermaine-johnson-charles-cross/ posted:

I have been playing a lot of “Elden Ring” these past few weeks. The game is punishing, and demoralizing at times, but I keep coming back for more. Those who have played the game probably have run into an Erdtree Avatar or two, these massive creatures that swing these huge hammers at you, and if you are not careful and get too close, you get one-shotted and have to reload. Their length, like the game, is punishing.

That’s Lloyd.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Patriots have 2 5ths and the Texans have 3 6ths so it's actually pretty annoying trying to figure out what picks actually moved there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grittybeard posted:

What's up with Nakobe Dean's fall, er like fall from early predictions anyway if that Mcshay thing is correct? Did something pop up about him that I missed?

He seems to be a very fun player that can fit in a whole lot of different situations from what I saw watching him.

While I think Dean is a top 10 guy most teams probably think modern coverage schemes for LBs isn't that tough to teach to good athletes. If teams are running mesh you just send the LB into the flats, then it's about making the tackle and size does in fact matter in the NFL. If they're running levels against you then you're already in nickel anyway so what's the point of having an ultra athletic LB if he's just sitting in a zone? Devin Lloyd isn't nearly as instinctual as Dean and is a bit slower on his break, but he's bigger and does the same thing.

Regardless, every pick after wherever Hutchinson goes might as well be a second rounder.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Cavauro posted:

This is some Shadowrun poo poo right here.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kalli posted:

The Patriots have 2 5ths and the Texans have 3 6ths so it's actually pretty annoying trying to figure out what picks actually moved there.

Its one of those who gives a poo poo trades but every now and then some 5th or 6th rounder winds up making noise so who knows? Like I said, the most fun thing about the draft is looking back at them with the benefit of hindsight. Everything else is just noise and people pretending they spent all of last year watching some WR from USC, a CB from West Virginia, or some OT from Oregon and pretending to know wtf they're talking about.They NEVER do and it's so fun to look back at.

I include myself in that criticism btw because I don't know poo poo either but that doesn't stop me from running my mouth. Not too much separates my hit to miss ratio from Mel Kiper's but, unlike myself, he get's paid half a million dollars per year to be wrong and talk poo poo.

I had to pay 10 bucks to shitpost here.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I kind of feel like when a draft is this flat there's going to be a lot of "WHO?" posting after the first 15 picks or so and they'll be players thought of as second or third rounders who actually look a lot better on film to scouts than their counterparts who grade higher on potential. When a class isn't a standout one there's always a lot of it in the draft takes.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Basically all I care about from this draft besides who the Pats get is:

When the first QB goes, because all that poo poo feels smokescreen and I bet nobody cares about any of them in the top half of the first

What the hell the saints are doing, in a draft this bad spending future resources 2 weeks before the draft to get more picks now.

Where Baker gets traded to, 'cuz that feels like a smokescreen in the other direction where everyone's saying no no, we don't want him, until nobody trades up for the Panthers / Seahawks picks and then they suddenly get him.

Also if any other vets get dumped for way too cheap picks. C'mon Robby Anderson and Kenny Golladay!

If someone's so desperate to trade down we get another of those Dion Jordan rear end trades

Sad pictures of the last man in the green room.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

Sad pictures of the last man in the green room.

Do we know who got invited this year?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
QB Malik Willis (Liberty)
QB Matt Corral (Ole Miss)
WR Garrett Wilson (Ohio State)
WR Jameson Williams (Alabama)
WR Drake London (USC)
WR Chris Olave (Ohio State)
OT Evan Neal (Alabama)
OT Ikem Ekwonu (NC State)
OT Charles Cross (Mississippi State)
OG Zion Johnson (Boston College)
DE Aidan Hutchinson (Michigan)
DE Kayvon Thibodeaux (Oregon)
DE Jermaine Johnson II (Florida State)
DE George Karlaftis (Purdue)
DT Jordan Davis (Georgia)
DT Devonte Wyatt (Georgia)
LB Devin Lloyd (Utah)
LB Nakobe Dean (George)
CB Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner (Cincinnati)
CB Kyler Gordon (Washington)
S Kyle Hamilton (Notre Dame)

Corral could be waiting quite a while.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

pasaluki posted:

Ok this USA today article is amazing

I don't know if you saw in the TFF chat thread but I downloaded that game on Sunday not knowing it was a Dark Souls game dressed up in sheep's clothing and deleted it in less the two hours.

60 dollars down the drain.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kalli posted:

What the hell the saints are doing, in a draft this bad spending future resources 2 weeks before the draft to get more picks now.

See, I don't think it's a "bad draft". Just no top tier QB's so it's not quite as sexy. It seems quite deep and one where you can get help in the middle first round if you play your cards right. I don't see a lot of saviors here but it looks like anyone picking in the top 20 can get help somewhere.

One of these guys who's taken after the 14th or 15th pick is going to be really good I think.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah it's not a terrible draft it's just not very top heavy. In fact I think there will be a bunch of trade backs just because of the sheer amount of average talent.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kiimo posted:

I don't know if you saw in the TFF chat thread but I downloaded that game on Sunday not knowing it was a Dark Souls game dressed up in sheep's clothing and deleted it in less the two hours.

That’s too bad, it’s very good.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s too bad, it’s very good.

gently caress that. If I didn't enjoy one second of the first two Dark Souls games I'm not going to enjoy this and there aren't enough pretty sunsets in the digital universe to force me to play with those clunky rear end controls and annoying load times. I have a life to live.

In Red Dead Redemption 2 which I replaced it with because I haven't played the second one yet.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Don't like loading times and crappy controls but you like red dead?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kiimo posted:

gently caress that. If I didn't enjoy one second of the first two Dark Souls games I'm not going to enjoy this and there aren't enough pretty sunsets in the digital universe to force me to play with those clunky rear end controls and annoying load times. I have a life to live.

In Red Dead Redemption 2 which I replaced it with because I haven't played the second one yet.

I haven’t played any dark souls but the controls felt fine to me and at least on the PS5 there’s basically no loading times.

BlindSite posted:

Also this

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BlindSite posted:

sorry that's supposed to be the joke /video game chat

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

kiimo posted:

Ironically I just beat the Orphan of Kos with the Whirligig Saw tonight but I'm not about to be one shot by Doltos in his own thread.

I think the cbs and wrs look really good in terms of draft depth.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Corral could be waiting quite a while.

I see someone didnt see the first round of the goon draft

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kalli posted:

Basically all I care about from this draft besides who the Pats get is:

When the first QB goes, because all that poo poo feels smokescreen and I bet nobody cares about any of them in the top half of the first

I think at least two of Willis, Ridder and Pickett go in the first half.

The Saints moving up to take one is a possibility. The Saints are a team that needs to get younger and cheaper fast and two picks this year helps with that. As mentioned, it’s not a bad draft it’s just lacking in top tier talent, but that’s not really an issue if you’re picking twice in the back half of the first. There should be some value there, if they stay put.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chiefs fans are convinced we're getting a DE and Pickens

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

kiimo posted:

lol owned

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think at least two of Willis, Ridder and Pickett go in the first half.

The Saints moving up to take one is a possibility. The Saints are a team that needs to get younger and cheaper fast and two picks this year helps with that. As mentioned, it’s not a bad draft it’s just lacking in top tier talent, but that’s not really an issue if you’re picking twice in the back half of the first. There should be some value there, if they stay put.

At the very least, given their owner-involved meeting with him, it doesn't sound like Ridder will make it past the Steelers at 20. And I agree, feels like there's no way the Saints pick at their current spots. They're up to something (but it might be the Marcus Davenport draft all over again?).

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

My head thinks that Ridder is a better pick than Willis, but when I think about who I want the Steelers to draft, it's Ridder.

Willis may be raw but I think I'd rather keep his potential to be terrifying out of the AFC North thanks

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think Ridder and Willis definitely have the most upside. Both of them probably need a few weeks on the bench to adjust to the pro game and to be brought along slowly but Pickett seems ready from day one but he's never going to reach the highs that the other guys could. I think he's very much a guy like Mac Jones where he'll keep you competitive and if you have other areas that can dominate he'll get you where you need to be, you're just never going to be there because of him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Where does Mac Jones get drafted if he went in this draft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Pickens and Karlaftis would be a great 1st round for KC