Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kreeblah posted:

What's the plan for when employees tell them to gently caress off and quit instead? Or are they still stubbornly assuming that labor is an infinite pool to draw from?

commercial real estate is doomed long term but in the next few quarters the return to office people are going to be be triumphant
once the businesses that forced "their" people back get hosed proper then we shall see Number come for the cre firms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

love having another thread to read that depresses me daily

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

So obviously you do this for a living so you are the expert, looking again it looks more like 25k, so that might have been a misread by me.

However as you very well know, your picture is from a pretty standard size kitchen, but there's also plenty of giant houses with giant fuckoff kitchens. The place I'm working with mentioned they've had renos up to 80-100k.

Also 3k for all four appliances is EXTREMELY cheap. There are plenty of single appliances that are far more than that even.

Thankfully I live on the bottom floor so some of the things you mentioned are not an issue. The place I used kept the cabinets, but put in new slab doors and drawers to give it a frameless look, and did the blum hinges where you push and the door pops out, and when you push the door or drawer back in it "grabs" it at the end to pull the last bit of distance (tip-on blumotion for movento if you are familiar, I think each drawer for that is like 200-300). I'm paying 10k to have this done in my galley kitchen, which includes everything, including a custom paint color. It would have been like 6800 if I had done typical doors with hardware.

I had considered replacing cabinets, but because I'm a modern design slut I got an estimate from a really nice place that had the look I want, and that was like 20K just for cabinets and all the demo. But I would not be happy with doors with insets, or hardware of any kind.

https://puustelliusa.com/

Honestly Im pretty sure you know more about this stuff than I do, no irony, it seems like a passion of yours. I always learn new stuff whenever you post about interior design. Ive only been doing it for 3 years so I am far from expert .. Just sharing what Ive seen, every market will be different.

I should have said that I really only work on entry level city homes, so like $250-500k, usually in preparation to sell, and everyone wants the same stuff .. White shaker cabinets, white quartzite w grey vein, stainless steel appliances, subway tile backsplash, black hardware etc. Generic & inoffensive but widely appealing. Sounds like you have better taste, but that comes at a bit of a price premium. Bottom line - I think were at different price points and I should have prefaced my statement accordingly.

Looks like prices have gone up a bit but you can still get name brand appliance packages for $3-4k Whirlpool, Samsung, etc. Viking, Wolf, Thermadore different story :D. Ive heard the IKEA appliances are a good value too but never used them.

I never wanted to work on a house that big if I could avoid bc I find it vulgar & obscene, but youre correct the sky is the limit w some of these renos. Downside is that Im already getting bored w these cookie cutter kitchens, so maybe at some point Ill look for a higher end contractor to work for.

What kind of counters are you doing? My favorite is probably concrete but it requires a whole bunch of extra reinforcement in the cabinets & floor joists to support the extra weight :whitewater: .. probably why you dont see it often

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why do you like concrete more than granite?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

re: these types of cabinets - serious question for the thread.

why is it that sometimes the style *looks* extremely expensive and contemporary and other times the style *looks* extremely cheap? like basically ikea cabinetry.

Im serious, at first I thought it was exclusively the impact of the handles but it seems to be more than that

If you make the drawers and doors smaller so that the fit into the frame, rather than going over it, it's a lot more expensive. You get less room and imo I'm not sure it looks better, it just looks different

as far as why those scandavian ones look good / bad its material as well. Sometimes it looks like a veneer with a very plastic looking top coat and a silver handle, coincidentally a style that cheap office furniture has copied, and other ones look like real solid wood or normal painted wood and that's more traditional and so kinda classy

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:59 on Apr 25, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

why do you like concrete more than granite?

I just love the industrial look of concrete I guess. Granite just looks dated to me, very 2002. It can look nice in the right applications of course but I guess its just too many kitchens have it.

Thats probably why I like the concrete counters so much, since theyre uncommon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

My favorite is probably concrete but it requires a whole bunch of extra reinforcement in the cabinets & floor joists to support the extra weight :whitewater: .. probably why you dont see it often
that's actually not entirely true. concrete has a unit weight of around 150 pcf, lean grout/cement closer around 120, and granite is closer to 170 pcf.

though you may be pouring more mass as shear strength without steel reinforcement is poor, and more tricky with forms and polishing. i'm a perma-renter 4ever since im poor but yes polished concrete looks nicer than granite.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ornery and Hornery posted:

good for you :) I am happy that you secured a nice home for you and your loved one.

I’d personally be more accepting of moving out into the burbs if I already had a significant other. But I don’t. so if I want to date seriously I need to be somewhere denser and with young people.

move to the suburbs and seduce someone else's housespouse
do this a couple of times until you've got a polycule of housespouses who will help pay your mortgage

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

from my friend's experience there are no shortage of late-20s women who just wants a dude with a house and hot tub 25 minutes from the city

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
every winter i bring up getting a hot tub to my fiancee and every year she (correctly) says "no you dumbass"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

spacemang_spliff posted:

every winter i bring up getting a hot tub to my fiancee and every year she (correctly) says "no you dumbass"

hot tubs are disgusting cesspools of bacterial breeding grounds that require meticulous care and attention constantly checking pH level, replacing ozone generators every 3 days, and dumping a bunch of chemicals to make it habitable and if you try to gently caress in them everyone is getting a UTI and staph infection.

but god drat they are nice as hell in the winter like sitting outside in a hot tub in the rain is great. completely loving grotesque wasteful americana consumption though.

in other words, your fiance is smart as hell, put a ring on it.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Xaris posted:

hot tubs are disgusting cesspools of bacterial breeding grounds that require meticulous care and attention constantly checking pH level, replacing ozone generators every 3 days, and dumping a bunch of chemicals to make it habitable and if you try to gently caress in them everyone is getting a UTI and staph infection.

but god drat they are nice as hell in the winter like sitting outside in a hot tub in the rain is great. completely loving grotesque wasteful americana consumption though.

:hmmyes:

what about my zone approved authentic japanese bathhouse in my backyard :qq:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Xaris posted:

Get a sauna instead

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

i am harry posted:

why don’t we talk about what can actually be done with home equity because I’d like to know; house value increasing 50k since purchase doesn’t mean poo poo if all the other houses are doing the same. it’s not like any of us will sell and be able to move into a more expensive house for less money.

you can take out loans against your home equity, if you're foolish

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

bawfuls posted:

In my very limited anecdotal experience this has been the case. In early March we offered 20% over asking on a house which needed significant work to be livable. There were 16 other bids and they informed us they weren't even interested in our second offer unless it was all cash.

Last week we offered 5% over asking on the house next door to that one, same lot size with a mirrored floorplan but in need of far less work. This time around there was only one other bid (which was of course all cash) but I guess the seller had some backbone and went with us because we're going to actually live there.

I'm pretty sure that's how I got my condo in 2018. My offer was not the highest offer (by a really wide margin, too; I want to say, like . . . $25k?), but the name on the higher offer sounded like an institutional investor. The seller asked me if I could come up a bit ($5k), and then took my offer instead. I strongly suspect it's because the seller knew I was actually gonna live here instead of just flipping the place or putting it up on AirBNB.

In the end, I paid $325k for what the seller had paid a bit over $100k for several years prior, and a nearly identical unit just sold for $525k a few days ago. This whole situation is hosed. None of this is even remotely sustainable.

Edit: To be clear, while I'm really glad I have this place, it's not exactly a place I'd want to be forever. But I also don't see that changing with how loving insane prices are. As much as this thing's appreciating, everything else around here is going up even more.

Kreeblah has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Apr 25, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Just make Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud the IK. Sure, he hasn't posted in the thread, but it was made to do what he loves most in the doomsday econ thread, shitpost about housing.

Don't tell him, just make him IK and see if he ever notices.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Crusty Nutsack posted:

A cool feature that the forums software has is that you can click on as many threads as you want, and choose to not click on others :)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Just make Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud the IK. Sure, he hasn't posted in the thread, but it was made to do what he loves most in the doomsday econ thread, shitpost about housing.

Don't tell him, just make him IK and see if he ever notices.

I was speaking as a renter that's mad at the housing market, not a button haver. but lol at that plan

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

A cool feature that the forums software has is that you can click on as many threads as you want, and choose to not click on others :)

sounds suspiciously like quitting :thunkher:

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Xaris posted:

there is even a rash named after hot tubs, Hot Tub Folliculitis! hot tubs are only worth the money if you are rich and have parties with attractive people often. otherwise just get a nice bathtub and you'll be clean at the end and not sitting in your yard covered in clorine. i guess if you are lyndon b johnson and need big jets blasting your rear end and balls then maybe the hot tub is for you, but i think fancy bath tubs can have those too.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

bonelessdongs posted:

lmao I thought 90k for a trailer was ridiculous but now there's a trailer going for 175k and 300/month in park fees. I have a friend who bought a house with a few acres for around that price three years ago

A trailer in my park sold for $200,000 and my lot rent is $900/mo :newlol:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Crusty Nutsack posted:

We should change the forum title from C-Spam to Doomspam

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Lacrosse posted:

We should change the forum title from C-Spam to Doomspam

I'm pretty sure it was at one point, sometime in 2020 prob

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

houses

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the bathtub at my place is too small to actually take a bath in. it's designed for people who are 4'6" or something. it's bullshit

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

my toilet handle and light fixture switch both broke this weekend. today maintenance guys came in and fixed em for free.

god drat renting owns!!!!!

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

my apartment balcony got replaced for free, because the siding was not in good shape

palindrome has issued a correction as of 02:26 on Apr 26, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Casey Finnigan posted:

the bathtub at my place is too small to actually take a bath in. it's designed for people who are 4'6" or something. it's bullshit

they are so tiny, op

I want to be in the tub, not just my
legs

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

actionjackson lives in a condo which means it's gonna be more expensive bc of the increased risk. Shoot a nail in the wrong spot and you hit a water pipe and flood your downstairs neighbors condo, with no accessible water shutoff valve in reach. Plus it's a pain in the rear end to work in a condo,but mostly it's the increased risk.

this exact thing happened to my fiances's cousin. some electrician drilled into the sprinkler in her second story condo last year. she burned through her insurances housing allowance super quick which is why I doubled the default on mine.

the other day I remembered my old neighbor put his house up for sale for like 1.6 mil to get people to stop bothering him with unsolicited offers lol

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Casey Finnigan posted:

main reason for buying imo

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

cool av posted:

my toilet handle and light fixture switch both broke this weekend. today maintenance guys came in and fixed em for free.

god drat renting owns!!!!!

pfft, If I replace my light fixture and toilet handle that's easily 2k in liquidity based on current markets for us home owners

For sale: 2 bedroom house, unstable foundation, NEW TOILET HANDLE AND LIGHT FIXTURE

*you have 50 cash offers*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

housing market: putting liquidity in hot tubs

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Cspam 2025: International Water Shortage: Put Your Liquid Assets Into Hot Tubs

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/paulisci/status/1518668443175636992?t=ygnLVOQXrppkUMQzNl7Bcw&s=19

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Imo ban all posters who own property. Tf are you doing here

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

SorePotato posted:

this is like half of cspam, maybe more

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SorePotato posted:

this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bawfuls posted:

this is like half of cspam, maybe more

they should be killed

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

SorePotato posted:

the housing crisis thread turned into a bunch of computer touchers complaining about how expensive their kitchen remodels are.

this thread should be moved to D&D where it can have brunch. shameful!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

they should be killed

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

19 o'clock posted:

the housing crisis thread turned into a bunch of computer touchers complaining about how expensive their kitchen remodels are.

this thread should be moved to D&D where it can have brunch. shameful!

Lol they also turned the econ thread into stock market chat.