Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

whenever i see a jeep behind me while im on my bike I know ive basically got a 1 in 2 chance of being literally assaulted by them in in some manner

with BMW's it's basically a 100% chance

love to spend $40k on a car with vinyl plastic windows, then get it modded to remove the doors, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Zerg Mans posted:

love to spend $40k on a car with vinyl plastic windows, then get it modded to remove the doors, too.

I don't think you'd have to get it modded, Jeep Doors are held on by like three screws

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I don't think you'd have to get it modded, Jeep Doors are held on by like three screws

that sounds even worse!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Zerg Mans posted:

that sounds even worse!

They’re intentionally designed to be easy to remove

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"The Pedestrian" (1951) by Ray Bradbury

https://www.riversidelocalschools.com/Downloads/pedestrian%20short%20story.pdf

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
more bike bussing because gently caress cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNRnKXd9sHE

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/GMC/status/1517508551152963585

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i'm loving dead and this is hell. eternal tormenting from satan.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

witness the car in its natural environment

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

No fuckin way.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
im the photo op crew that spent the last 40-hours meticulously placing each droplet of mud on the exterior to make it look slightly dirty rugged outdoors but not too dirty to ruin the brand and how cool and clean you'll be doing it.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

lmao 10,000 lbs of nature appreciation

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Happy earth day!

*photo of 9000lbs of toxic heavy metals strip-mined out of the earth destroying a stream*

:killing:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Jesus Christ

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
hate car, love downhill sofa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19o8yPaVp58

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

GMC said Manifest Destiny sells

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

whenever i see a jeep behind me while im on my bike I know ive basically got a 1 in 2 chance of being literally assaulted by them in in some manner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3JUf7rldXw

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
you put up a good fight. :)

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Read the comments if you want to be radicalized

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

mystes
May 31, 2006

Toronto is getting a massive regional rail improvement that sounds pretty great: https://youtu.be/_XOXAY3rPzk

They're actually using European companies who know what they're doing for everything.

They're getting more frequent service and it is supposed to be faster than driving under typical conditions.

It sucks that we will absolutely never get anything like this in the us.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

mystes posted:

Toronto is getting a massive regional rail improvement that sounds pretty great: https://youtu.be/_XOXAY3rPzk

They're actually using European companies who know what they're doing for everything.

They're getting more frequent service and it is supposed to be faster than driving under typical conditions.

It sucks that we will absolutely never get anything like this in the us.

Best I can do is a new HOV lane.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Just perverse.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Are they shooting suspected pro-american farmers?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

like a cat playing with the tattered body of the mouse

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
This is a good thread. Clearly shows the acceptance of delays to pedestrians and the absolute avoidance of delays to drivers in traffic planning.

https://twitter.com/KostelecPlan/status/1014905748545888256?s=20&t=qDr-cXzc5q43gQ9_X_Qcgg

mystes
May 31, 2006

upsidedown posted:

This is a good thread. Clearly shows the acceptance of delays to pedestrians and the absolute avoidance of delays to drivers in traffic planning.

https://twitter.com/KostelecPlan/status/1014905748545888256?s=20&t=qDr-cXzc5q43gQ9_X_Qcgg
All the standards that engineers use are just completely hosed. Even in places that have repeated pedestrian deaths it's virtually impossible to fix because of that. It's completely infuriating.

I ended up looking around some places in the UK on google maps/streetview and it's interesting how despite being fairly car-centric and having a relatively bad reputation for cycling infrastructure, it seems way better than the us simply by not having so many absolutely crazy stroads?

I don't know if this depends on the area, but where I was looking, it seems like almost all roads are at most one lane in each direction until you get to either major arterials without any houses/stores along them or actual restricted access highways.

There still isn't the same level of clear bike routes or clear separation of car/pedestrian/bike traffic like in the Netherlands, but it still seems pretty different from the insane situation in the US where it's as if everything that isn't purely a dead end residential street has to have at least 4 lanes nowadays.

So even if it's not amazing, you still don't get the situation in the US where it's basically physically impossible to walk to a store because it's right across a high speed 4 lane road.

This sort of fits with what I have been thinking about Japan, specifically that it's pretty interesting that despite having almost no dedicated bike infrastructure it achieves a pretty high level of bikeability just by being designed for more walkable, not having euclidean zoning, and most roads that aren't toll highways or arterials being insanely narrow.

It's really crazy that the US and a few other countries that copied it have managed to fairly uniquely design themselves into this nightmare while so many other places have avoided it mostly accidentally despite being so car centric (which means for the other countries it will probably be much easier to fix if they want to).

mystes has issued a correction as of 14:45 on Apr 26, 2022

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I drove on the highway heading south of the Twin Cities last weekend. It's a four lane highway with a grass median, where it alternates between limited access (on/off ramps) and at-grade intersections. The speed limit is 65 mph but everyone was going 70-80 mph. What absolutely poor road design lol.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

upsidedown posted:

A nation that has been utterly defeated by the car

mystes
May 31, 2006

Incidentally a good example of it being impossible to fix anything is State Street in Springfield, MA, which was featured as literally the first example in the book by the Strong Towns guy.

There's a parking lot directly across from the public library, and because the nearest crosswalk is out of the way, people end up dashing across a 4 lane road and there have been a bunch of deaths.

After someone died before, the Strong Towns guy even wrote a whole letter to the town about why this was unsafe and they didn't do anything. Now after a librarian was run over last year they're finally looking into trying to make it more safe.

It's just crazy to me. It's a public library, there are obviously going to be parents crossing there with kids constantly. If you MUST have a 4 lane road there, why would the default still not be to have a light for pedestrians to cross? Why do you need multiple pedestrian deaths before you can even consider doing something and otherwise you just have to maximize for car speed as much as possible? It just makes no sense.

I guess schools are literally the one place where engineers are actually allowed to make concessions to slowing traffic down by default but why wouldn't the same thing apply at the very least to other places where you would expect lots of pedestrians including kids like parks, libraries, etc.?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mystes posted:

Incidentally a good example of it being impossible to fix anything is State Street in Springfield, MA, which was featured as literally the first example in the book by the Strong Towns guy.

There's a parking lot directly across from the public library, and because the nearest crosswalk is out of the way, people end up dashing across a 4 lane road and there have been a bunch of deaths.

After someone died before, the Strong Towns guy even wrote a whole letter to the town about why this was unsafe and they didn't do anything. Now after a librarian was run over last year they're finally looking into trying to make it more safe.

It's just crazy to me. It's a public library, there are obviously going to be parents crossing there with kids constantly. If you MUST have a 4 lane road there, why would the default still not be to have a light for pedestrians to cross? Why do you need multiple pedestrian deaths before you can even consider doing something and otherwise you just have to maximize for car speed as much as possible? It just makes no sense.

hmm, is there anyway they could drive across the road to the library? or put in a drive-thru for ordering books - not sure how this kind of building usually works

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
they'll close the library before they slow cars down

mystes
May 31, 2006

802.11weed posted:

they'll close the library before they slow cars down
They're finally considering adding a raised sidewalk and reducing the road to one lane in each direction... just for the one block along the library: https://mass.streetsblog.org/2022/01/19/city-of-springfield-proposes-road-diet-traffic-calming-for-deadly-downtown-block/

They also say they're going to add an RRFB or HAWK system but RRFB's (the flashing lights that are just along the side of the road that drivers ignore) are loving useless. If they add an RRFB they literally would have been better off not narrowing the road on the one block and just adding a real light.

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:07 on Apr 26, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Could run a shuttle bus from the parking lot to the library.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

I drove on the highway heading south of the Twin Cities last weekend. It's a four lane highway with a grass median, where it alternates between limited access (on/off ramps) and at-grade intersections. The speed limit is 65 mph but everyone was going 70-80 mph. What absolutely poor road design lol.

which highway was it?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
US 52

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh, okay. were you going to rochester? I've only been on I-35 and I-90 in southern Minnesota

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

upsidedown posted:

I have to do this every day and I hate it. It's a very in-town area, but a major street cuts through it and there are no mid-block crosswalks. The city can't do much about it because it's technically a state highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

oh, okay. were you going to rochester? I've only been on I-35 and I-90 in southern Minnesota

yeah, I'm in the process of moving from Roch to the cities. I've driven this stretch of highway before, but this time I thought of this thread while doing so.