Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Just wait until your kids discover youtube poop like mine have. There's a lot of Shrek YTP out there. They make me watch it with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Another Bill posted:

Just wait until your kids discover youtube poop like mine have. There's a lot of Shrek YTP out there. They make me watch it with them.

So far YouTube is a non idea to my son, thankfully

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

there's some weird rear end poo poo in kids youtube

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
thankfully I curate the hell out of YouTube

like non of that poo poo of kids playing with toys or other hosed up parasocial poo poo

she now opens it up to watch Berenstein Bears cartoons.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Elsagate scarred me so I plan on watching my girls YouTube activity like a hawk once she is old enough to use it

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I have an eight year old who's pissed at me because I won't let her be a twitch Roblox role play streamer. This poo poo happens fast.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I think I have a short list of things i recommend to parents about internet usage and access, and one of the big ones is that they always know which streamers their kid watches so they can do some research to figure out where on the gamer to nazi spectrum their stream is

one of my clients outside the school district was a white supremacist couple whose teenage son had started getting into pewdiepie. when the parents told me, I noted that they should keep an eye on their son for white supremacist ideas, and they looked at me like i was crazy, lol

the kid was super smart and fun to work with. they were also surprisingly moderate despite being raised in a very white supremacist family ecosystem

NeatHeteroDude has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Apr 24, 2022

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
im in the proccess of getting divorced so we have to sell the house, and i got a new place (one that i can afford on my own) and very much need to sell my current house asap to pay back the money i borrowed to get the new place, and my 7 year old son was trying to wrap his head around everything and asked

"whose going to live in our old house? can a homeless person live there so they won't be homeless?"

and i teared up a bit inside and then bought him an account

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The constant cycle of ear infections appears to be receding, though likely only temporarily. This kid is a delight to be around when she isn't feeling all hosed up, which is completely understandable

She absolutely loves her little Elmo and Abby Cadabby dolls and we have a few other stuffed animals and babies and it's amazing to see her try to feed them, put diapers on them, brush their teeth, all that stuff. It's crazy to see how many words and phrases she gets now, too

She's not even 16 months old and she sure as hell knows exactly which cabinets hide her snacks and extra cans of seltzer to bang around with, that's for sure

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Another Bill posted:

I have an eight year old who's pissed at me because I won't let her be a twitch Roblox role play streamer. This poo poo happens fast.

Get em off the loving internet. Send them to their rooms. Give them books. They will read them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
e: whoops lol wrong thread

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Apr 26, 2022

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

My son's apes... gone forever...

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Another Bill posted:

Explaining how Winnie the Pooh was inspired by a real bear who lived a long time ago opened a Pandora's Box of existential questions from my four year old.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

This rules. I want it to happen more.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

The Nastier Nate posted:

i banned paw patrol cause its terrible.

like even if you take out the propaganda aspect its just not funny or entertaining and there's at least 20 better shows on Disney+ or any other streaming service my kids can watch 24 hours a day

Had my kid convinced one of the dogs catchphrases was "No scabs"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I think I have a short list of things i recommend to parents about internet usage and access, and one of the big ones is that they always know which streamers their kid watches so they can do some research to figure out where on the gamer to nazi spectrum their stream is

one of my clients outside the school district was a white supremacist couple whose teenage son had started getting into pewdiepie. when the parents told me, I noted that they should keep an eye on their son for white supremacist ideas, and they looked at me like i was crazy, lol

the kid was super smart and fun to work with. they were also surprisingly moderate despite being raised in a very white supremacist family ecosystem

Teaching my son how to responsibly use the internet (and tech in general I guess) is one of my biggest worries right now. Granted he's only like six weeks old but who knows what this poo poo will look like by the time he knows how to use a keyboard?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I think I have a short list of things i recommend to parents about internet usage and access, and one of the big ones is that they always know which streamers their kid watches

the easiest number of streamers to keep track of is zero. i have a youtube extension that only shows videos from subscribed channels, so i can subscribe to something she can use, like a follow-along for practicing music, without worrying about her getting lost in some low quality bullshit.

children need education, books, and toys. they do not need the loving internet. at all.

i have seen my nine year old's peers. i know which ones have the internet brain. it sucks.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

i already got device lockdown plans for my kid. she’s cool so far with my old devices curated with kids stuff. however she says stuff at school that makes me believe some of her peers(in kindergarten mind you) already are getting unencumbered YouTube . so I have to do some extra parenting to fix that.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Overheard at the school I work at:

5th grader: "yeah this one kid was talking out loud about how cool it was that his parents let him stay up all night, and play video games, and act out whenever he wanted and I couldn't figure out how to tell him his parents don't love him"

I went back to my office and fuckin died laughing at that ngl

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Good soup! posted:

5th grader: "yeah this one kid was talking out loud about how cool it was that his parents let him stay up all night, and play video games, and act out whenever he wanted and I couldn't figure out how to tell him his parents don't love him"

Kids are brutal my fellow poster

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh I know, it was partly the cadence that sent me laughing, I'm just sitting there snapping photos of an unrelated project just like :drat:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mustached Demon posted:

Kids are brutal my fellow poster

The biggest own of my life was from the 3rd grader who lives across the street

I was in their backyard sitting on the swing reading cspam and the kids were playing soccer and he goes “hey mr nastier Nate can you play soccer with us?”

And me on my phone not even looking i say “no I’m good you kids play”

And without missing a beat he says “you’re like a sad internet man that never goes outside”

They teach you a lot in those free parenting classes that the hospital offers but never how to deal with being savaged by an 8 year old

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I woke up this morning to go to work at 5:30 and my son was already up playing Minecraft on the switch while watching a Minecraft video on YouTube.

sad day.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I woke up this morning to go to work at 5:30 and my son was already up playing Minecraft on the switch while watching a Minecraft video on YouTube.

sad day.

king.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

the easiest number of streamers to keep track of is zero. i have a youtube extension that only shows videos from subscribed channels, so i can subscribe to something she can use, like a follow-along for practicing music, without worrying about her getting lost in some low quality bullshit.

children need education, books, and toys. they do not need the loving internet. at all.

i have seen my nine year old's peers. i know which ones have the internet brain. it sucks.

My kid is asking where the YouTube search bar went. He's on to me.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Good soup! posted:

Insightful kid

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the other day we were at the playground and a kid my son used to go to school with was playing there so he got to sort of catch up with him.

the topic of this other kid named Lincoln came up and the kid said "those were the dark times. he got expelled for saying the n word though."

man I hated that kid. fuckin Lincoln.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Heated Playground Moment

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Today i learned it's possible for a 2yo to teach herself how to read? My kid can read familiar words (mainly things from her flash cards and storytime books) easily, and is capable of sounding out and making good guesses at unfamiliar words

It's blowing my mind

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Today i learned it's possible for a 2yo to teach herself how to read? My kid can read familiar words (mainly things from her flash cards and storytime books) easily, and is capable of sounding out and making good guesses at unfamiliar words

It's blowing my mind

you should see if there any gifted schools near you when she’s about 4 or she has hyperlexia

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

sonatinas posted:

you should see if there any gifted schools near you when she’s about 4 or she has hyperlexia

I'll be sure to look in to that! She's had speech delays and we're getting her evaluated soon to see if she's on the spectrum, dunno if that'll complicate things there

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'll be sure to look in to that! She's had speech delays and we're getting her evaluated soon to see if she's on the spectrum, dunno if that'll complicate things there

immensely so. gifted + learning disability is a ride.

if you can afford it go the private route. most gifted programs have been co-opted to more be geared towards high achievers who want the label.

read up on asymmetrical development, and emotional intensity in the gifted and talented. Kazimierz Dąbrowski and overexcitabilities and positive disintegration are also worth reading about.

this is a really good paper for a few years from now.

https://gifted.uconn.edu/schoolwide-enrichment-model/gifted_underachievers/

expect no one to believe you at any point. get help ASAP if you can and have a community your child will be supported by as soon as possible.

here’s a gif that can give you an idea of what bad days can be like with emotional intensity

https://imgur.com/3s5qCcU

gunna cross post an op I wrote years ago for you in a second.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Why is this in D&D? In threads over the years here it’s become apparent that there is an abnormal concentration of us here. However, I’m not going to repeat anyone I’ve seen mention it. It also may be explanative for other posters. Also bunch of you are ignorant of the repercussions of learning differences, beyond the one discussed in this thread. I also am less looking for an ask/tell and more for a discussion. Understanding some of the ways our brains are different have larger repercussions to a wide variety of conversations, and I think that is very much an on topic discussion to have.

Something to immediately get out of the way, gifted doesn’t mean better. The longitudinal studies I’ve seen have basically found that we have the same outcomes and wide variety of lives as everyone else, with one exception we tend to make about a 20% higher income at whatever we do.

First some ground rules:
1) This is not a thread for: “I took this test on the internet. It says my IQ is 175.” gently caress you, get out.
2) It’s ok to have intensity and anger in this thread. Wait what? One of the things that often defines the gifted is rather extreme emotional intensity. There are a couple of ways to talk about it, Dąbrowski’s language (hyperexcitability, etc), the more recent language of “emotional intensity in the gifted and talented”, or alternate language like Gladwells “The rage to master”.
3) It’s okay to be exhausted. Parenting someone with the emotional intensity of the gifted is beyond tiring. Do you feel like you are drowning, that you need help desperately, if you need to say that. It’s ok to say that. I’m exhausted, my wife is exhausted.

So what do we mean by Gifted and Talented:

I like this definition:

"Giftedness is asynchronous development in which advanced cognitive abilities and heightened intensity combine to create inner experiences and awareness that are qualitatively different from the norm. This asynchrony increases with higher intellectual capacity. The uniqueness of the gifted renders them particularly vulnerable and requires modifications in parenting, teaching and counseling in order for them to develop optimally."

Practically a child has meet the criteria of their state’s or district’s program. Usually this involves intelligence testing. Now for anyone familiar with the messiness of IQ testing obviously that means problems. There are inherent biases in the tests (more on that later). But generally most states or school districts recognized giftedness as being a particular number of standard deviations from the mean as expressed by the district or states chosen tests. In general the floor starts at the top 2.5% of children, in other words two standard deviations. A some states / districts define it as children at least two grade levels above their age group. But some states break down the gifted into categories. Gifted at two standard deviations, Highly Gifted at up to three, Exceptionally gifted up to four and profoundly gifted for anything higher. To be quite honest once one starts getting up Exceptional and Profound range, testing doesn’t mean much. Many of these tests have “test ceilings” and stop effectively differentiating somewhere between the highly and exceptional range. Generally the test alone is not adequate and an assessment by a child physiologist is usually necessary too. Some general information on Testing http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm I can comment on what I remember by my own experiences if anyone has questions of what it’s like for a child. I am gearing up for the experience as a parent.

At the low end gifted scale moderately gifted or gifted, the biases inherent in intelligence testing can disadvantage children of color, the bilingual, those with additional learning disabilities, and the poor. To make matters worse schools and teachers can prejudge children in these categories (esp. colored, bilingual, poor) and will often press for another diagnosis (ADHD, Aspergers, OCD, etc) because they are failing to recognize what is really going on with the child. Again one of the characteristics of gifted children can be very strong emotional intensity and very high energy (more on that later and why). They can be exhausting to deal with. Early on they can often do very poorly in school because frankly, they are bored out of their minds. The easy road out for a teacher, is to jam them into another category to be medicated or removed from the class. This is a particularly cruel mistake. Even in the case of Profound and Exceptionally gifted children parent generally have to strongly advocate for their children. With the exception of the wealthy, this necessary advocacy on the part of the parents of these children is a pretty universal experience and many of the resources for parents are centered around it. At some point later I’ll probably share my personal experiences and link to it in this post.

Asynchronous, More (Mommy and Daddy are so very exhausted )

A good place to start : http://www.davidsongifted.org/Search-Database/entry/A10172
One of these most common traits of the gifted and talent is emotional intensity. We can be more empathetic, more angry, more certain, incredibly stubborn about what we think ought to be, etc. There is greater need for self emotional and impulse regulation. When confronted by teacher and individuals without understanding of these characteristics this can make the gifted child particular vulnerable. These traits also eventually open up the gifted and talents to problems like addiction (especially in adolescence) or depression. Mishandling of the gifted can lead to problematic outcomes for everyone. An example, to attend the public county level congregated gifted only school, I had a multi hour bus ride with about 30 other students. At some point we (a group ranging from second graders to high school seniors) collectively decided that the bus was disgusting for the long time each day we spent on it. A large group brought cleaning supplies and organized a cleaning party. This was squashed by the driver and we were forbidden from cleaning. The response by about 10% of the riders was to bring tools. They began dissembling the bus covertly over a period of about two weeks. Removing bolts and nuts, separating rivets, drilling holes in the floor, taking fishing line and bouncing the bolts off the roadway. Eventually the driver found many seats in the back half of the bus detached at the end of a ride and the wheels exposed to the interior as the covers had been pried up. The bus had to be removed from service for maintenance.

In many of the developmental disorders part of the brains function is exaggerated or depressed. A good way to think of the gifted is exaggerated but across the board, just more of everything. Other learning differences might have parts of the brain depressed or exaggerated singly or in combination. This is one of the reasons we can often be misdiagnosed as developmentally disordered. And again think of the particular cruelty of that situation! But this also confronts a parent with a child that can be as (or more) difficult to care for properly than a developmentally disable child! Mistakes can spiral out of hand quickly. Because of the rapidity with which the gifted learn, behaviors become entrenched rapidly. Habituation and implicit concepts form more rapidly and are as hard to unlearn or modify as they are for anyone else. As a parent sometime you get only once chance with a particular issue and the subsequent un-learning or behavior modifying can be quite rough.

From Living with Intensity:

"Their excitement is viewed as excessive, their high energy as hyperactivity, their persistence as nagging, their questioning as undermining authority, their imagination as not paying attention, their passion as being disruptive, their strong emotions and sensitivity as immaturity, their creativity and self-directedness as oppositional. They stand out from the norm. But then, what is normal?"

Not mentioned in that quote but worth mentioning is also sensitivity. Both emotional and physical sensitivity can be exaggerated in the gifted. Again “qualitatively different from the norm” is a good phrase to remember, the experiences of gifted child can be rather radically different from other children the same age this is good example:

“Ten-year-old Greg Barnes was acknowledged by school personnel as highly gifted. His scholastic achievement test scores placed him in the 99.9th percentile, as did his score on the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale. On this particular day, when he returned home from school, Mrs. Barnes knew immediately from his despondent expression that the day had been less than ideal."Something wrong?" she probed gently. "Yeah," he said in a tone of thorough disgust, "I got into trouble. We'll have to see the principal tomorrow." "What for?" "I got into a fight with Joe and beat him up." Mrs. Barnes was shocked. Greg was not an aggressive child. He had never reported such an incident before. In fact, he was an extraordinarily sensitive boy who genuinely cared about other people. "What happened?" she inquired further.
Greg explained that he and Joe had exchanged insults during music class. Both boys, Greg insisted, were at fault. Later, Joe had cornered Greg by the lockers, taunting him, threatening to beat him up, and egging Greg on to fight. Greg responded by punching Joe, who punched Greg back. When the teacher came onto the scene, Joe was crying while Greg continued to rain punches upon him."Well, it sounds like you stood up for yourself…" began Mrs. Barnes. She was surprised at Greg's immediate and heated denial. "No, Mom - it wasn't that simple." "But wasn't he threatening to beat you up?""No, Mom! You don't understand!"
Greg was getting visibly more upset as Mrs. Barnes attempted to convey that she was not being judgmental. Unable to comprehend why her efforts to convey caring and understanding were being met with mounting frustration, Mrs. Barnes decided to defuse the issue.
"OK. Why don't you write down what happened and explain how you feel about it. Obviously you were there and you know why it happened better than I do."
Greg willingly took a seat at the typewriter and laboriously typed out his story and explanation. An hour and a half later, he handed the pages to his mother: "It all began in third grade..." started the first paragraph. Greg went on to describe in careful detail how he and Joe had met and embarked upon a rocky friendship. At certain times, Joe seemed to want to be friends. At other times, Joe refused to allow Greg to participate in ongoing playground activities. Greg admitted to sometimes levelling "insults" at Joe in retaliation for these playground rejections.
Greg listed incidents from 3rd and 4th grades as well as the 5th grade incident that precipitated the immediate problem. For each incident, he detailed each child's behaviours with painful accuracy in an effort to render an objective view of what had happened. Greg's outburst was, according to him, not only a response to the day's happenings, but a reaction to the entire pattern of incidents composing their relationship over the past two years. The argument of the day was simply "the straw that broke the camel's back".
The next day, Joe, too, wrote out his version of the fight. He wrote simply, "Greg hit me and then I hit him back and he kept hitting me."

Many of you reading this are going to be familiar with the issue of emotional regulation in the learning disabled. You probably have encountered some descriptions of this online ranging from the rather derogatory to mildly offensive. Essentially learning differences interact with and alter the standard emotional responses because emotions responses derive from learned concepts. Again the gifted learn concepts more quickly and make those learned connections habitual and stronger more quickly.

Here’s a rough and simplified description of the more recent thought regarding how emotions work in the brain (invisibilia is doing a great series on this, it’s worth listening to). Basically we have four things we feel, satisfaction, dissatisfaction, arousal and depressed activity. The various combinations of those things interacting are what we experience as emotions, but the emotions are learned concepts and can result from learned concepts. When understood this way, why learning differences interact strongly with ones emotional inner life becomes immediately apparent. Personally one of the ways I’ve been dealing with it as a parent is to use techniques for addressing systematic biases. Identify the feeling, describe the response, describe an alternative response that would be more socially acceptable.

Understanding these things, the problems with confrontational approaches or power dynamics that the child might encounter outside of the home becomes readily apparent. An adult (say a child care provider) realizing they have been successfully emotionally manipulated and outwitted by a three year old can react confrontationally. It doesn’t go well this is good metaphor for what it can look like:

http://imgur.com/3s5qCcU

My parents primarily prevented this by carefully controlling which adults I interacted with. After my diagnosis I entered a congregated class room situation (which I think is the preferable way of dealing with the highly and above categories). I stayed in variations of a congregated classrooms until my sophomore year of high school. I wanted to be a swim team captain and to play other sports. Sports were not available at the congregated public school I had been attending.

Anyway I think I’ve gotten a good start here with a couple of jumping off points for discussion. Relevant post will be amended to the OP and links to external sites or good posts in the thread will be added as they come up. Eventually I’m going to write another decently long post about predation, the gifted often have a experience of being targeted. That one is going to be less based in facts and research and more personal. It might be a while before I’m comfortable doing it. But I can put you onto the tone. The author of the Miss Peregrines both was a gifted and talented kid in a congregated public school. His metaphor of the hollows looking to eat the children’s eyes, that a good idea of the places that post is going to go when I get it written.

Links to websites and good posts possible to continue in reserved post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824035&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post473503557 - excellent post addressing why g&t is special education
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824035&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post473512059 - excellent post describing a dual diagnosis

of course D&D shat up my thread on it. biggest thing I learned from the thread...

nearly every public gifted program in the country is terrible.

good luck. even literally knowing what you’re getting into, it’s still really really hard.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

It's blowing my mind

That's really cool! Kids typically don't start doing that until 3-4. It's likely she's listening to how words get read in your home and repeating that for the symbols she associates with those words, which is good at that age. What kind of words are on your flashcards?

reading is a mix of a bunch of different individual skills that they'll eventually put together and do fluently. I'm more familiar with it than development, so if you ever have any questions or anything you can always ask and I might be able to point you in the right direction

NeatHeteroDude has issued a correction as of 04:41 on Apr 27, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bar Ran Dun posted:

resources and links
Thanks so much! I'll be going through this asap. Can't be too prepared lol

Skimming that Reis paper was interesting, some of the stuff they were talking about felt pretty familiar.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

That's really cool! Kids typically don't start doing that until 3-4. It's likely she's listening to how words get read in your home and repeating that for the symbols she associates with those words, which is good at that age. What kind of words are on your flashcards?

reading is a mix of a bunch of different individual skills that they'll eventually put together and do fluently. I'm more familiar with it than development, so if you ever have any questions or anything you can always ask and I might be able to point you in the right direction
Thanks! I'll PM you if I ever have a specific question.

The flashcards are a mix of alphabet words (A for Apple, etc), numbers up to 10 (deprecated, she's counting into the 20s and beyond now), and various basic vocabulary. She picks up new words and can associate them instantly--if she's paying attention. I usually have to use my Dad Voice to get her attention, then bring my voice back down to point out something new, but I don't really like doing that too much so when we're out and about I like to watch where her attention is instead and try to point things out that way.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

sad day.

Kids Rock

The Silent Scourge
Aug 24, 2006
I Have Asthma
So I just gotta vent on this and its tangental to the learning chat, but we're looking for a house with a 1 year old. That alone is stressful as gently caress and while I am out of town for work my inlaws ambushed my wife about the schools in the area we are looking at.

To find a place we can afford we gotta move to more middle of nowhere and the school is 'low income and full of non native english speakers!' and apparently has lower test scores, which we knew going in.

Does that poo poo really matter? Are we dooming our kid to lovely education becuase the elementary school is 4/10? How the gently caress do you deal with this poo poo, it feels like no matter what whatever you do its a crap shoot if the school is actually good or not.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Silent Scourge posted:

So I just gotta vent on this and its tangental to the learning chat, but we're looking for a house with a 1 year old. That alone is stressful as gently caress and while I am out of town for work my inlaws ambushed my wife about the schools in the area we are looking at.

To find a place we can afford we gotta move to more middle of nowhere and the school is 'low income and full of non native english speakers!' and apparently has lower test scores, which we knew going in.

Does that poo poo really matter? Are we dooming our kid to lovely education becuase the elementary school is 4/10? How the gently caress do you deal with this poo poo, it feels like no matter what whatever you do its a crap shoot if the school is actually good or not.

Parental involvement can offset the bad school more than you think

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I have one niece who attends a pricey stem (yes these exist) Montessori thing, and has from 2 through age 6, and another niece who was with a stay at home mom until recently attending kindergarten.

I wasn’t really convinced about the benefits of overpriced programs, but the stem niece is really leaps and bounds better with numbers and approaching things creatively. it could still be just innate differences between the two, and the other niece is smart and amazing too but it’s pretty stark when they are next to each other. I was very scared for a while, and still lowkey worried that I’ll be robbing my own daughter of exploring her potential but also screw paying almost double my mortgage to have my daughter count blocks in new ways.

I think the bottom line is, as always, help them be decent and happy and it’ll be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Does that poo poo really matter?

yeah of course it does; your child will grow to be an exceptionally better person if they’re around other children that aren’t like them.