Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Just pulled the trigger on a Luna Z1

Seemed to be in the sweet spot of good hardware and not spending 15k

https://lunacycle.com/z-1-enduro-ebike/

Now to constantly refresh my inbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
That motor is going to haul rear end. I would've liked to get an Ultra but the BBSHD is way more DIY friendly. Let us know how it goes and if you have problems with cassettes and chains getting chewed up.

acidx fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 14, 2022

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

yeah how does that not go through a 12spd chain like every ride?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I think some stronger chain is in my future ahah. Hopefully it’s enough to get my fat rear end up some hills

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Also joined the e-MTB gang. I got me one of these (Merida eOne-Sixty):

There's still a surprising amount of pedaling in the regular trail mode. :shobon:

mystes
May 31, 2006

My RadExpand arrived. Ebikes are cool and being able to use the throttle from stopped at intersections is quite nice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Even if I was a much better bicyclist, it would have been a strain to do this on a regular bike because of all the hills. But with an ebike, it was not only doable but super fun.
Hell yes

mystes posted:

My RadExpand arrived
Hahahaha a folding single downtube bike with 20x4" tires.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 21, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's a bit silly but it works fine

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Anyone have experience with the step-through Radcity 3? I'm looking at it for the regenerative braking in particular

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Airconswitch posted:

I'm looking at it for the regenerative braking in particular
It's a nice extra to have, but don't let that be the main reason you pick a direct drive motor. I have a specific use case where regen is nice: keeping myself down to a safe speed on long moderate slopes without dragging my brakes. It doesn't do much of anything for flat land stop and go.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Good to know. I'm in MA, so there's definitely hills here to coast down. I'm not planning on relying exclusively on the motor for things like uphill either.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Got my Luna z1. Having a torque sensor is so nice, feels like I have superman legs rather than being assisted by a motor.

Forgot to buy a shock pump so I haven’t set the sag yet, but it’s already tons of fun just around the neighborhood

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What drivetrain did it end up with? I saw some parts on the product page were SRAM SX, but didn't have a complete listing.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Sorry, I'm a big dumb newbie and dunno what drive train is specifically referencing.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ddiddles posted:

Sorry, I'm a big dumb newbie and dunno what drive train is specifically referencing.
They want to know what is written on your rear derailleur and shifter.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Now I know how my dad feels when I have to teach him tech stuff.

Ridden about 40 miles on the bike so far, padded bike shorts were a life saver. I think I have my bike set up as well as I can alone, I need to go to a shop and have them help me out, I could ride about an hour an a half but the last 20 minutes of that the saddle became an issue. I think 95% of the pain is just being real out of shape with no core strength, so my arms take a lot of pressure, so hopefully that just gets less and less, even with the uncomfort this bike is amazing, and I haven't even taken it on anything other than a graded dirt road yet.

To anyone looking to buy a bike, if you can swing the price increase, get a torque sensor based bike, I feel like I put in way more effort over a ride to keep the bike going at speed as opposed to my cadence sensor on my cruiser, my heat rate is much higher riding this bike. Makes you feel like you have superman legs.

Edit: lol just realized that first picture is the brakes. I cant find any markings other than the sram logo but the derailer looks like this https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/rd-sx-1-b1

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 25, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SX is the lowest tier 12 speed drivetrain (which includes the shifter) SRAM makes, but if it's shifting well for you, the extra weight is obviously much less of an issue.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Shifts nice and clean, think I'll focus on losing the 50lbs i put on in the last 2 years before I buy any lighter parts :)

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
My shifting is not working well and I think I made it worse trying to adjust the derailleur. :downs:
Well, off I go to the bike shop!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

It's a bit silly but it works fine
Whatever gets you ridin' is all good :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

HisMajestyBOB posted:

My shifting is not working well and I think I made it worse trying to adjust the derailleur. :downs:
Well, off I go to the bike shop!

If you only adjusted cable tension with the barrel adjusters, you can probably recover it. If you unclamped any cables, yeah, might be harder.
Next time, try to recite to yourself how many quarter turns in or out you are from the start.

mystes
May 31, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Whatever gets you ridin' is all good :)
Of course now lectric just announced the xp premium which is a similar folding design, similarly priced, is mid drive, and they're giving an extra battery to people who preorder... Oh well.

I kind of want a second battery already for more range but the rad power ones are extremely expensive and it's of course a pita to use a both a rad power one and a generic one

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Anyone got any experience with Rize bikes? The Rize MD (https://rizebikes.com/products/rize-md?variant=39727448981658) checks pretty much all of the boxes I'm looking for:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

If I can think out loud for a moment..

I think the genius of E-Bikes lies in tapping into the latent energy in the legs. Legs can give you a fair few watts. And in a car, or a motorbike, they're sitting there doing nothing. So the vehicles are missing out on something that can do around 50% of the work. But an E-Bike, with the pedal assist, makes use of that (delivering health benefits in the process but that's another thing), integrates that power into its propulsion system, and is able to add just enough to make it go where you need it to. It is the nuance of that hybridisation that allows for phenomenal efficiencies.

Yes I've only recently entered the world of E-Bikes and have the evangelical zeal of the recently converted, but they're just phenomenal. They open the whole city up. I'm convinced they are the future of urban transport.

I don't know about you guys but I find myself not even using the assist most of the time. I did a big 30 km loop the other day, down to the water and back, and only used 7% of the battery. That equates to a range of 400 km. Looking forward to doing longer tests.

Anyway thanks for the rant, here's a fun video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBK4RSZN1Do

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Any thoughts on the Kakuka K70?

https://www.kakuka.com/products/kakuka-k70-electric-flat-bar-road-bike?variant=41369428689084

My dad uses a bike to ride to the gym (about 15km return) and occasional small shopping nearby. It works out for him but he's having to constantly maintain the chain drive and while the terrain is pretty flat, he sometimes struggles with strong headwinds. This seems like it would address both points by getting rid of the chain and having the motor to help out against the wind. It's also currently on sale for much cheaper than even basic e-bikes are normally here. My only concern from this review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x2KMa8wvzk) is that he had to really put some effort when going uphill which suggests to me that the motor isnt' really powerful enough and without gears that might be an issue even on flat ground vs wind.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

mobby_6kl posted:

[timg]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0503/7411/5516/products/1200x1200_5_1800x1800.jpg?v=1652411015[/tim]

[url]https://www.kakuka.com/products/kakuka-k70-electric-flat-bar-road-bike?variant=41369428689084[/ur]

My dad uses a bike to ride to the gym (about 15km return) and occasional small shopping nearby. It works out for him but he's having to constantly maintain the chain drive and while the terrain is pretty flat, he sometimes struggles with strong headwinds. This seems like it would address both points by getting rid of the chain and having the motor to help out against the wind. It's also currently on sale for much cheaper than even basic e-bikes are normally here. My only concern from this review ([video type="youtube"]2x2KMa8wvzk[/vide]) is that he had to really put some effort when going uphill which suggests to me that the motor isnt' really powerful enough and without gears that might be an issue even on flat ground vs wind.

that looks pretty sweet for the price and it does have gears they're just internal to the rear hub at least going by the product page

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 20, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Boogalo posted:

that looks pretty sweet for the price and it does have gears they're just internal to the rear hub at least going by the product page
Hmm it's not really clear about the gears. The guy in the video keeps repeating that it's fixed ratio but I've heard of in-hub gears too of course.

Does it look like a fender would fit here? I'm not a bike guy but I thought they go between the tire and the fork and there's like no space in the circled area even though they specifically point it out as a fender mounting spot.

Another thing. How do people deal with batteries? A lot bikes, this one in particular, seem to be made by mysterious no-name Chinese companies. Is battery replacement a problem in general? This one seems to be using 18650 cells so in the worst case it should be possible to just DIY it but still it would be nice if my dad didn't have to mess with that poo poo.

PS also I thought their logo looked familiar but it's literally the BMW ///M logo lmao.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Probably doesn't have gears the handle bars doesn't look like it has shifters. At that price point it makes me think of the rad power radmission which also has no gears.

Gears aren't as important for an ebike with the pedal assist but they can give you more efficiency.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's presumably single speed but the page says this which seems pretty shady:

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
It's definitely an internally geared hub, probably with a twist shifter. The fact that they don't say how many gears or what make the hub is, that they don't give any more specifics about the belt drive except say that it is a belt drive, and that there's typos all over and all kinds of information omitted makes me think that they're trying to pull a fast one. I doubt that set up is any more reliable than a normal chain drivetrain, which is probably why they are only putting 250 watts to it.

Edit: nvm that is a hub motor, I was thinking it was middrive. The whole listing makes no sense then.

acidx fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 21, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Gearhub/motors do exist, but that is definitely not what is pictured.
https://ebikes.ca/blog/post/new-tdcm-igh.html

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

E-bikes r cool

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

mobby_6kl posted:

https://www.kakuka.com/products/kakuka-k70-electric-flat-bar-road-bike?variant=41369428689084

My dad uses a bike to ride to the gym (about 15km return) and occasional small shopping nearby. It works out for him but he's having to constantly maintain the chain drive and while the terrain is pretty flat, he sometimes struggles with strong headwinds. This seems like it would address both points by getting rid of the chain and having the motor to help out against the wind. It's also currently on sale for much cheaper than even basic e-bikes are normally here. My only concern from this review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x2KMa8wvzk) is that he had to really put some effort when going uphill which suggests to me that the motor isnt' really powerful enough and without gears that might be an issue even on flat ground vs wind.

This looks super questionable. Just get any RadPower with gears for a little bit more money. You’ll know what you’re getting, and likely have some amount of support if he needs it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

It's presumably single speed but the page says this which seems pretty shady:

Yeah you're right, this definitely seems to imply there's some "shiting" going on but everything else tells me there really isn't.

acidx posted:

It's definitely an internally geared hub, probably with a twist shifter. The fact that they don't say how many gears or what make the hub is, that they don't give any more specifics about the belt drive except say that it is a belt drive, and that there's typos all over and all kinds of information omitted makes me think that they're trying to pull a fast one. I doubt that set up is any more reliable than a normal chain drivetrain, which is probably why they are only putting 250 watts to it.

Edit: nvm that is a hub motor, I was thinking it was middrive. The whole listing makes no sense then.
I'm starting to think it's just poorly written copy by someone with no clue about wha the actual product is

frogbs posted:

This looks super questionable. Just get any RadPower with gears for a little bit more money. You’ll know what you’re getting, and likely have some amount of support if he needs it.
We don't have Rad Power here but there are other options of course, most of them are about as questionable though.

One other benefit I see to this is that it doesn't look like an e-bike, which is good for its chances of not getting stolen. Anyway I'll need to actually talk to dad about this first if he's actually ready to make the jump to electric. I do think it would solve his transportation issues though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm starting to think it's just poorly written copy by someone with no clue about wha the actual product is
I think this is potentially a bad sign for something like ebikes because it suggests that 1) they're just reselling them with no idea what they're doing and/or 2) they're just copying and pasting because nobody at the company actually speaks English, neither of which is good for an expensive product where you might need support if there's a problem.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Rad Power ships all over the EU for €50, dunno what service options are like though.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

SamsCola posted:

Speaking of R&M, I have had my eye on their Multicharger for a couple years now. It's got all the bells and whistles that I'd want on a bike, but are they worth the money? The Tern HSD also has everything I am looking for, but it's $3k less...

I currently have a Radrunner and, while I like it a lot, I have some quality issues with it. Plus I definitely need gears and I think it's like to have a middrive while I'm at it.

"Worth the money" is obviously a relative phrase, but I've just put about 1,000 km on my Multicharger and I'd have to say yes. It is a goddam joy. To be fair, it is my first and only E-Bike, and before this I was riding mostly entry-level acoustic bikes, so my impression might just apply to nice/e-bikes in general, but far out it's good.

I used to have one kid on the top tube and one in the back seat, which was doable, but the issue isn't so much the weight as just that they're just outgrowing the seats. And a bike like that doesn't' have as much room for stuff, or as much confidence in the safety. So I spoiled us and splashed out on a Multicharger, with the safety bar kit, and a nice big luggage rack at the front. I did get the cargo bags, and the kids can put their feet in them, but decided to keep it clean by putting. basket at the back instead. The kids love it.

That said, the belt drive has become dislodged 3 times now. The first time I was on a fairly rough fire trail, and I thought somehow I'd dislodged the balls in the Continuously Variable Transmission, cos it sounded like a grinding. I had to push it all the way back out of this valley and then walk a long way home. I took it back to the shop and they fixed it up and said the transmission was fine, it was just the belt had moved a little from the rear cog. Perhaps I had snagged a branch or something? Then yesterday, I had the kids on the back and hit a sharp little hill, and heard the same noise again. So I flipped the bike over and was able to get the belt back on the cog, but it's obviously a bit annoying. I think the moral might be don't hit the thing too hard.

I think the value is that it's a do-everything bike. If it was only for the kids, I'd probably get a Tern GSD, so they're a bit lower? (edit - or a yuba spicy curry, or a Bicicapace E-Justlong STePS PRO). If it was only for cargo I'd probably get an Urban Arrow. If it was only for me I'd probably settle for anything really. But the MultiCharger sits perfectly at the middle of all three. It's heavy, but I can just lift it onto a car rack. And I did 60 km (including getting up and down 5 harbour valleys), using only 30% of the battery. Aesthetically, It's pretty beautiful.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 23, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm waiting to see more information about the Specialized bikes with the Enviolo automatic integrated gear hub. Seems like they're just as held up by the supply chain or whatever. It's also maybe a gamble on reliability but I think that would be a really good mode of transportation for me.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

marxismftw posted:

Anyone got any experience with Rize bikes? The Rize MD (https://rizebikes.com/products/rize-md?variant=39727448981658) checks pretty much all of the boxes I'm looking for:

I have a Rize MD. It checked all the boxes for me. I ordered the bike on a sunday, then had cold feet and found something a little more with nicer components and wanted to cancel, but they didn't reply until the afternoon to my cancellation request until after processing the order.... I get it but I've heard that their support is a little aggro sometimes.

On the flat I love it and it's very consistent and will haul my big rear end to 25 mph (which seems like the max because of gearing? I'm not sure how you're supposed to hit 28 on it, which is something I did on my less powerful hub motor Aventon all the time. Something is wrong with the throttle, though, and even though it claims some huge amount of torque it really doesn't like to get up and go on the flat, and I can barely ride up a 50m ~10%-15% grade in first gear at PAS 5. Basically I'm doing all the work, throttle does nothing, the bike is heavy (naturally) and I'm heavy and it's really annoying since torque is supposedly this thing's big advantage vs a less torquey hub motor. It might just be a limitation of the powertrain but for the price, I say look for a BBSHD or one of the newer Ultras.

But it is a nice, well put-together commuter style bike, very comfortable, no other issues at all. If support emails me back I'll let the thread know what they say.

[edit] - response from Rize is that I'm doing it wrong. Downshift to 1-3 for throttle use and lose weight, basically. Higher torque doesn't translate the same as a rear hub. I still feel a little underwhelmed, and it makes me think an internal geared hub would be better for a commuter bike, since stop signs and etc mean you will be downshifting a lot at stop signs and such, and you do that without pedaling.

This Alfine 8 and associated bits is looking mighty tempting on Amazon...

strangeless fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

strangeless posted:

I have a Rize MD. It checked all the boxes for me. I ordered the bike on a sunday, then had cold feet and found something a little more with nicer components and wanted to cancel, but they didn't reply until the afternoon to my cancellation request until after processing the order.... I get it but I've heard that their support is a little aggro sometimes.

On the flat I love it and it's very consistent and will haul my big rear end to 25 mph (which seems like the max because of gearing? I'm not sure how you're supposed to hit 28 on it, which is something I did on my less powerful hub motor Aventon all the time. Something is wrong with the throttle, though, and even though it claims some huge amount of torque it really doesn't like to get up and go on the flat, and I can barely ride up a 50m ~10%-15% grade in first gear at PAS 5. Basically I'm doing all the work, throttle does nothing, the bike is heavy (naturally) and I'm heavy and it's really annoying since torque is supposedly this thing's big advantage vs a less torquey hub motor. It might just be a limitation of the powertrain but for the price, I say look for a BBSHD or one of the newer Ultras.

But it is a nice, well put-together commuter style bike, very comfortable, no other issues at all. If support emails me back I'll let the thread know what they say.

[edit] - response from Rize is that I'm doing it wrong. Downshift to 1-3 for throttle use and lose weight, basically. Higher torque doesn't translate the same as a rear hub. I still feel a little underwhelmed, and it makes me think an internal geared hub would be better for a commuter bike, since stop signs and etc mean you will be downshifting a lot at stop signs and such, and you do that without pedaling.

This Alfine 8 and associated bits is looking mighty tempting on Amazon...

I did end up ordering it. It's sitting assembled in my garage. I'll update the thread once I'm able to get a few rides in.