Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Good news, weebs! They're opening that poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

gently caress it. kids get their second dose on the 24th, wife gets her third on the 18th, i'm getting my third tomorrow. bring on the plague.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
But is it opening to tourists yet? I thought they were still only letting in students and workers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Seeing as how my tickets were for May 8 through 30 or something like that, I hope they don't open before June 1 so I can avoid the entirely illogical "agggg why did I cancel" mind games that are sure to ensue.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Guess the visa exemption is still suspended, so in effect no tourism yet. Sorry to get weeby hopes up.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
When y’all are finally allowed in please wear your masks tia.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

leather fedora posted:

But is it opening to tourists yet? I thought they were still only letting in students and workers.

No tourists yet.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Pegnose Pete posted:

When y’all are finally allowed in please wear your masks tia.

They'll probably drop indoor mask rules before they let tourists in.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lyndon LaRouche posted:

They'll probably drop indoor mask rules before they let tourists in.

inshallah

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
What indoor mask rules?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CAD to JPY rates are just loving with me now.

If only I could spend my money in person :haw:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dizzam. I wanna go to Japan now.

I mean, I want to go every day. But 128 JPY to USD is really nice.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Dizzam. I wanna go to Japan now.

I mean, I want to go every day. But 128 JPY to USD is really nice.

Glad I have no current plans for an overseas trip, anything I’d bring to the States would get destroyed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I fully expect it to go back to 0.70CDN to 100JPY by the time I'm allowed in.

But if that's the monkey's paw that has to curl for this to happen then I'll take one for the team.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I mean you could just buy yen now to use on your trip later.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zettace posted:

I mean you could just buy yen now to use on your trip later.

Gonna buy 1000 USD in yen and then put in my sock and hide under pillow.

Seriously, though, going to banks in the US is a ripoff. If you could get even 115 JPY I'd be surprised. Never use US exchanges. It's one of the things I like about traveling in Japan. They don't rip you off at the exchange. The attitude seems to be, give good rates so you can spend your money here. I learned my lesson the first time I went there. I think I lost approx $100 in fees coming and going due to US exchanges.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 20, 2022

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
It's even less true that you need need cash in Japan as a tourist these days, especially if you're nowhere near the inaka. You really don't. And if you do, put your card in a 7-11 ATM and you'll get very drat close to the best exchange rate. (It's not my problem though if your lovely American commercial bank wants to charge you some ridiculous fee for that.)

Oh right, but if you want to buy the cheap cold hard yen now for your trip later, I think Wise might work for changing dollars into yen that can be kept in an account for use later in Japan. At least, that's what I use, but for the other way 'round.

Lyndon LaRouche fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 20, 2022

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I think my parents are going to buy some yen with CND since they are technically allowed to apply for visas as their have family in Japan. Not sure when they will actually make it here though. Maybe summer or next spring.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I basically always just exchange at the airport (in Japan) these days. The rates have always been fine/good and it saves a lot of hassle.

Credit card fees can add up, though, so try to get a card without foreign transaction fees at least. In the cities, they're great for your large purchases like hotel, etc. and even chain or big restaurants. I guess in the city, smaller restaurants are fine with cards too these days?

Wouldn't count on it in the inaka, though. You'll survive but you'll probably want some cash.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

I think my parents are going to buy some yen with CND since they are technically allowed to apply for visas as their have family in Japan. Not sure when they will actually make it here though. Maybe summer or next spring.

First degree relations of a resident (any kind of residence visa), so parents and children, apparently can apply and try to get in. If you have Permanent Residence, that extends to siblings, grandparents, etc. My dad is thinking about the fall, and I’m not sure I’d subject anybody to Japanese summer.

I haven’t been to a lot of real small restaurants the last few years but I think more and more are accepting credit cards or electric money (stuff mostly for residents - PayPay, Mercari Pay, etc).

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Hey, remember this guy?

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/987e173580a0a8d56479010492e72baf35523ab2

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
:nms: anti-vaxx, anti-mask party leader turns out to be pedophile, impregnated a middle schooler :nms: is that the gist of the article

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The only shocking thing is that he is neither a police officer nor a school teacher.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

:nms: anti-vaxx, anti-mask party leader turns out to be pedophile, impregnated a middle schooler :nms: is that the gist of the article

I'd be a lot more surprised except one of my (former) JHS students stopped coming to class and then turned up at graduation with a baby. Everyone was very excited for her and I decided feigning "oh, good for you" was better than "girl, you hosed up real bad" at that moment. Oh, her boyfriend was 24, which I think was the same age as me. Weird to think about.

Don't think she was the only one and I'm almost certain there were some other students who were being abused or neglected, like the one kid who was clearly autistic or SOMEthing but his parents refused to do anything about it despite all the teachers' efforts.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dad and I are still hoping for tourism opening up by October, but since I prefer to get arrangements done a few months in advance, I’ll be looking elsewhere for vacation if July rolls around and there’s no news on that front. It’s already May.

Then again, it really doesn’t look like the virus is any less of a threat than it was even a few months ago. :sigh:

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

My god, it’s just like my good ol home of the United States of America!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Dad and I are still hoping for tourism opening up by October, but since I prefer to get arrangements done a few months in advance, I’ll be looking elsewhere for vacation if July rolls around and there’s no news on that front. It’s already May.

Then again, it really doesn’t look like the virus is any less of a threat than it was even a few months ago. :sigh:

Think it’s still April…

They’ve basically done everything but visa-waiver/tourist visas by this point. I’m sure there might still be new student or worker visas outstanding to impact the number of arrivals they have per-day at the moment, but it’s still (late) April. Number of cases per reports are steadily dropping, hospitalizations and deaths are falling, and it appears to be stable. Doesn’t mean it’s a smart time to actually travel, but I don’t think there’s much people from overseas will bring that’s not already here.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Pollyanna posted:

My god, it’s just like my good ol home of the United States of America!

what are flights like price-wise for you right now? i swear prices are really high right now due to high fuel prices over russia's war; i wonder when or if they might come down a bit

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

what are flights like price-wise for you right now? i swear prices are really high right now due to high fuel prices over russia's war; i wonder when or if they might come down a bit

:laffo: Oh gently caress, you’re right. I don’t remember my flight being over a thousand dollars round trip in 2019. :eyepop:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

harperdc posted:

Think it’s still April…

It’s May enough!

quote:

They’ve basically done everything but visa-waiver/tourist visas by this point. I’m sure there might still be new student or worker visas outstanding to impact the number of arrivals they have per-day at the moment, but it’s still (late) April. Number of cases per reports are steadily dropping, hospitalizations and deaths are falling, and it appears to be stable. Doesn’t mean it’s a smart time to actually travel, but I don’t think there’s much people from overseas will bring that’s not already here.

Yeah, I suspect it’s targeted to drop sometime June/July maybe. Will be interesting to see what happens.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

International flights are expensive and domestic US flights are expensive rn. I'm feeling it because I'm paying for myself plus two kids.

BORN TO FLY
TICKET IS A gently caress
往復 Bill Em All 2022
I am home town
410,757,864,530 DEAD CENTS

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

METHOD OF PAYMENT
VI************0804 ¥263020 JPY
METHOD OF PAYMENT
VI************0804 ¥208840 JPY
METHOD OF PAYMENT

That's for a wife and two kids to/fro ATL for 4th of July. I go for free by blowing all my miles.
NRT/HND direct to ATL has never been cheap compared to changing somewhere, but expensive flights used to be like 120,000 yen.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

zmcnulty posted:

METHOD OF PAYMENT
VI************0804 ¥263020 JPY
METHOD OF PAYMENT
METHOD OF PAYMENT

This is a flex. I respect it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Less than 50% of the population has had their booster shots so maybe they want to get that number up.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Anecdotal but my uni has finally held their booster inoculations for staff and students. I got mine through my town a month or two ago but once the schools and companies roll out hopefully that boosted number goes up.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Yikes, 1600 bucks just to fly to Atlanta. People who are being pressured into having multiple children, don't forget this moment.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 26, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Had to transfer through Atlanta a couple times through work, nice to know the direct flight there is expensive.

Shammypants posted:

Yikes, 1600 bucks just to fly to Atlanta. People are being pressured into having multiple children, don't forget this moment.

I wouldn't look it at as "$1600," if zm is still here and getting paid in yen then I doubt they're getting the benefit of cheap exchange rates right now :v: and over 20man per person is loving yikes.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Anecdotal but my uni has finally held their booster inoculations for staff and students. I got mine through my town a month or two ago but once the schools and companies roll out hopefully that boosted number goes up.

I think my company didn't host boosters officially but are pretty strongly suggesting we go get them. The wife and I both did through our municipality. I might also be going crazy but I thought I heard some news about the government wanting to require vaccine passports/proof of 3x vaccinations for certain things as well? (it is entirely possible I made that up because I'm dealing with a newborn)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Boosted plus negative test = no quarantine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shammypants posted:

Yikes, 1600 bucks just to fly to Atlanta. People who are being pressured into having multiple children, don't forget this moment.

On the upside, I'm not sure someone could pay me to fly to Atlanta these days so I've escaped that folly.

I totally spaced on airfare exploding though. My miles were going a good way to getting me a few trips to Japan once it opens again, but checking now it seems that between Air Canada's devaluation of the program in general and the rising costs I've gone from like.. three possible trips to maybe one and a half flights worth lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Your first mistake was setting foot in Georgia :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'd avoid it if possible, zombies everywhere, but it's where my parents live and they're too old/lazy to move anywhere else.