Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'd be surprised if the majority of posters over 35 don't own a place

home ownership is still pretty common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
look, I know you feel that being homeless sucks but have you SEEN how expensive good looking cabinets (just the cabinets!) cost!?!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

c-spam needs a lil down to the countryside cleanse

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

shrike82 posted:

yeah Im almost 40 and gonna just die in a ditch at this point because Im a poor person. I should have become a realtor.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

everyone that owns a home and posts itt has to list their home addresses for crash spots for when the rest of us are vagabonds

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

they should be killed

Ill go first

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

i say swears online posted:

everyone that owns a home and posts itt has to list their home addresses for crash spots for when the rest of us are vagabonds

My place is at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500, it's an old remodel. If you need a place to stay just hop the fence and knock on the front door, I work from home most of the time.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

CongoJack posted:

My place is at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500, it's an old remodel. If you need a place to stay just hop the fence and knock on the front door, I work from home most of the time.

this reads like the plot to an Ernest movie.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

shrike82 posted:

I'm in this age range and own squat but I also live in the Seattle area. I'd have left a long time ago if it weren't for my entire extended family living nearby. I'd be worse off with no family safety net than just staying in Washington. I was talking to my grandma about moving away last year and she was trying hard to convince me not to do that.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it'd be funny if there were material differences in home ownership rate by sub-forum

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
"I kill homeowners... do you own a house?"
"Trying to haha"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

everyone deserves their own house and a small plot of land on which to grow potato. This is humanity's dream.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

shrike82 posted:

it'd be funny if there were material differences in home ownership rate by sub-forum
yospos is definitely the highest and having $$ houses in california, seattle, boston. AI is probably the second highest but everyone owns a 40+ year old tract house in kansas, missouri or ohio and it looks like poo poo. GIP is probably third highest with VA loans but it's mild-dewing mobile homes and other small flats out in the deep south.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

i say swears online posted:

c-spam needs a lil down to the countryside cleanse

Return to the countryside you say?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the national rate of homeownership in the US is ~65%

maybe that craters as boomers have their house wealth siphoned off by the healthcare industry and wall street scoops them all up

historically this was a conscious decision by capital to pacify workers, since a mortgage makes most people more risk averse when it comes to workplace organizing

so there would be a dark comedy in capital forgetting this lesson, destroying the home ownership rate, and finding out the working class on the other side of it is significantly more militant

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Apr 26, 2022

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

bawfuls posted:

maybe that craters as boomers have their house wealth siphoned off by the healthcare industry and wall street scoops them all up

65% mortgage holders maybe

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol they also turned the econ thread into stock market chat.

it's insufferable lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think it technically means 65% of housing units are owner occupied

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Xaris posted:

GIP is probably third highest with VA loans but it's mild-dewing mobile homes and other small flats out in the deep south.

The VA won't give you a loan for a trailer. They also require inspections.

It's been iVFW for a while now, please update your forums.xls file.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

D&D is probably up there too

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

bawfuls posted:

just to be clear the home ownership rate is the percent of single family homes occupied by their owner

it is not the percent of adults dwelling in a home they own, which is much much lower

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

bawfuls posted:

I think it technically means 65% of housing units are owner occupied

65% mortgage holder occupied maybe

Im being pedantic but ask poor america how having a mortgage worked out for them in 2008

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Id actually be curious to know the percentage of units that are owned debt free

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

shrike82 posted:

it's definitely statistically significant

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

As of the end of [2020], about 85 million individuals or families owned their homes. About 41 million rented, and another 1.5 million occupied their homes without paying cash rent.

There are 260 million adults over 18 in the USA, that above statistic is unclear about how many its counting.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

otoh, locking in a 2% fixed mortgage anytime in the past decade was probably one of the few ways the average person could get some of the money printer action

it works out better than paying it off

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the previous owners installed so many cabinets in the kitchen/living room/greatroom that there's literally nowhere to hang a picture (aside from the fireplace)

i don't even have a spot to mount one of those magnetic knife holder bar things, it's completely absurd. i had to order a box of 100 to replace all the cabinet knobs

all the previous owners were olds so we spent most of our money after the purchase repainting all the walls, previously it was a crimson flower pattern and gingham wallpaper nightmare. at least there aren't pebbled glass jalousie windows everywhere

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Grapplejack posted:

everyone deserves their own house and a small plot of land on which to grow potato. This is humanity's dream.

Can I grow corn?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Honestly Im pretty sure you know more about this stuff than I do, no irony, it seems like a passion of yours. I always learn new stuff whenever you post about interior design. Ive only been doing it for 3 years so I am far from expert .. Just sharing what Ive seen, every market will be different.

I should have said that I really only work on entry level city homes, so like $250-500k, usually in preparation to sell, and everyone wants the same stuff .. White shaker cabinets, white quartzite w grey vein, stainless steel appliances, subway tile backsplash, black hardware etc. Generic & inoffensive but widely appealing. Sounds like you have better taste, but that comes at a bit of a price premium. Bottom line - I think were at different price points and I should have prefaced my statement accordingly.

Looks like prices have gone up a bit but you can still get name brand appliance packages for $3-4k Whirlpool, Samsung, etc. Viking, Wolf, Thermadore different story :D. Ive heard the IKEA appliances are a good value too but never used them.

I never wanted to work on a house that big if I could avoid bc I find it vulgar & obscene, but youre correct the sky is the limit w some of these renos. Downside is that Im already getting bored w these cookie cutter kitchens, so maybe at some point Ill look for a higher end contractor to work for.

What kind of counters are you doing? My favorite is probably concrete but it requires a whole bunch of extra reinforcement in the cabinets & floor joists to support the extra weight :whitewater: .. probably why you dont see it often

well I appreciate the kind words! yes for entry level homes your prices make sense. I did the countertops in early 2019 before I got into design (but I had a relative who did it who suggested what I ended up with), nothing fancy, wilsonart HPL, matte, coffee bean (dark brown) color. I wasn't willing to pay the pretty subtantial premium for something fancier, and I only want a solid color so more textured options wouldn't make sense anyway. Since it's still so new I'm just kind of building around that, so my walls are an off white with a brown undertone, my porcelain tile that I just had installed is kind of medium brown that looks like concrete, with a bit of a darker brown grout. I've been spending my time recently treating the efflorescence. The cabinet doors will be painted in a color from Benjamin Moore called Normandy. I'm a big fan of the brown/blue/gray pallet overall.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-colors/color/2129-40/normandy

If I were to blow money on new countertops (which would be stupid) again I would probably do solid surface, but it doesn't really benefit me at all except the small convenience of an undermount sink, and even then my kraus sink has a beveled edge so it's not a big issue. There's even a company now (I forget the name) that makes sinks that can be undermounted on laminate. Concrete is definitely something more for an industrial or brutalist theme. I'm picturing concrete floors as well, exposed ductwork, a lot of gray and black in general, lighting that has some of its interior exposed like anything from anglepoise. It's not something you can just put in any kitchen because it will often look weird as hell

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 03:39 on Apr 26, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

shrike82 posted:

yes because we were fortunate enough to be in the housing market right after 2008 when homes were cheap as hell

goons you can stay in my entry, you just have to share the space with my greyhound because she has her crate in there

also you need to hide in the bushes when the one woman on the third floor who everyone hates prowls around

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

shrike82 posted:

Literally no one deemed loving essential in 2020 or even their lil capo managers could ever own their own anything in most states so thats just privilege shining bright.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

War and Pieces posted:

Sorry but pumping money into a house just for sale doesn't actually make sense.

Sure it does. The return on kitchen improvements is double or triple what you put in, even if the new owners are going to rip them all out immediately. Anything that distracts potential buyers from the numerous flaws of the house pays for itself.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

shrike82 posted:

the only posters over 35 who own in an area that isnt blasted out or remote are pmc/computer touching white collars or have generational wealth (aka mommy and daddy bought them a house or most of a house because they got married or something)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's some noise in the way home ownership stats are created but i wouldn't be surprised if the rates for SA posters are even higher than the broader population given the skew towards stemlords

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SorePotato posted:

Imo ban all posters who own property. Tf are you doing here

tbf the bank owns the property until I can defeat them by giving them an obscene amount of money

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

bi crimes posted:

the only posters over 35 who own in an area that isn’t blasted out or remote are pmc/computer touching white collars or have generational wealth (aka mommy and daddy bought them a house or most of a house because they got married or something)

Need more union tradespeople

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the previous owners installed so many cabinets in the kitchen/living room/greatroom that there's literally nowhere to hang a picture (aside from the fireplace)

i don't even have a spot to mount one of those magnetic knife holder bar things, it's completely absurd. i had to order a box of 100 to replace all the cabinet knobs

all the previous owners were olds so we spent most of our money after the purchase repainting all the walls, previously it was a crimson flower pattern and gingham wallpaper nightmare. at least there aren't pebbled glass jalousie windows everywhere

i carry a can of bearspray when I check the mail because my neighbor tried killing his girlfriend last year

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
if he couldn't even kill a girl what are you worried about

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if he couldn't even kill a girl what are you worried about

lol

when it was happening I called the cops and they said, "yeah, about four other people also called we're on our way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

OxMan posted:

Literally no one deemed loving essential in 2020 or even their lil capo managers could ever own their own anything in most states so thats just privilege shining bright.

Oh, you can still own, but it's going to be the inside corner of the midwest's rear end in a top hat with extremely limited job options and definitely higher property taxes to prop up what little municipal facilities haven't been bought by some conglomerate of investors.

For example, a small town's former city hall.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/221-N-Mitchell-St-Braceville-IL-60407/2068621762_zpid/

How about an 1890s hotel?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/233-S-Walnut-St-Arthur-IL-61911/325540045_zpid/

This one is kind of a hidden gem, "raise a big family" kind of house, nice wood work inside, but it's effectively in a sea of corn and soybeans. Those trees right up on the basement foundation probably aren't great, either.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/107-S-Walnut-St-Roberts-IL-60962/112572157_zpid/

Sorry I keep drawing back to Illinois but it's just familiar to me so I use it a lot. But yeah, you can own, if you uproot your life, change jobs to a much more limited market, move to the grain states and can tolerate 60s wood paneling and 70s pastel toilets.

More than a few places have tempted me to go back to Illinois, but I'm firmly against going back. Plenty of other midwestern poo poo states to choose from, none are good (IL has legal weed though).