Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

So you can just put the plate in the windshield.
From how I read it, you can have the front plate anywhere inside the car, even in the trunk, as long as it's readily produced for the officer pulling you over for no front plate to examine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

"Easily accessible for verification" is some loose wording for sure

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you just bought a 60k car you can afford a fix it ticket if you even get one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

If you just bought a 60k car you can afford a fix it ticket if you even get one.

I have very bad news about the financial state of a lot of people buying $60k cars

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
also i got better things to do with my life and time than get pulled over for a front plate violation

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I live in NY, own two cars without front plates, and have never once been pulled over for it.

If you get pulled over for it, that cop was looking for a reason to pull you over and would probably have found a different one.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

After disassembling and replacing a significant chunk of N52 this weekend, I do not ever want to replace a water pump or thermostat housing again, I will absolutely pay someone to deal with those gently caress off hoses behind a subframe you can’t even see what you are trying to jam on.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Nobody gets pulled over for lacking a front plate except when it's used as an excuse to jam you up for different reasons (aka profiling). There's also some law that if you have a license plate holder that obscures any part of the license plate (such as a dealership plate holder) then they can pull you over. But I'm a privileged white guy in a very wealthy area so I don't expect to get hassled too much. I have the plate in the glove box in case I need access to it.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

KillHour posted:

I live in NY, own two cars without front plates, and have never once been pulled over for it.

If you get pulled over for it, that cop was looking for a reason to pull you over and would probably have found a different one.

In MA I didn't run a plate for 15 years and I didn't get pulled over a single time. I'd literally throw a tow hook plate on 1 day a year to pass inspection.

What got me to finally just relent and get a front plate was that Mass put cameras in inspection bays that link back up to the state and for 2 years I ran into issues with inspection places getting squeamish about passing with it with a tow hook plate for some dumb reason.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In NY you don't even need a front plate to pass inspection :shrug:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
You used to get fix it tickets waiting for you on your car in mall parking lots here in :ca: I literally got one in like 2003 on my 2001 330ci.

It turned out the red light camera operators that took over every large intersection NEEDED that front license plate in their pic with your face when they send you their $425 ticket. Now, that poo poo may not be enforced as hard as it was in the 2000's - but it's still a risk here. I got a Skene Design front plate mount that screws in under the front bumper though just in case I can ditch the dumb thing. It's a fight I gave up a long time ago. :clint:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 25, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NY tried to do the whole school zone camera thing and here in Buffalo, it was such a clusterfuck it wasn't even in operation for a full year before they ripped them out if you exclude when they were off for rona.

At least they were smart enough to point the cameras so that they would get your rear plate instead of your front.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

fknlo posted:

I have very bad news about the financial state of a lot of people buying $60k cars

See thread title and inflation, for real

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Keyser_Soze posted:

You used to get fix it tickets waiting for you on your car in mall parking lots here in :ca: I literally got one in like 2003 on my 2001 330ci.

It turned out the red light camera operators that took over every large intersection NEEDED that front license plate in their pic with your face when they send you their $425 ticket. Now, that poo poo may not be enforced as hard as it was in the 2000's - but it's still a risk here. I got a Skene Design front plate mount that screws in under the front bumper though just in case I can ditch the dumb thing. It's a fight I gave up a long time ago. :clint:

Those CA (Los Angeles anyway) red light tickets turned out to be 100% fraudulent and you could just ignore them, it turns out you can't give a moving violation to a car so when my wife's car got one - no idea who was driving it! - and they sent their phishing scam 'official-looking' mailer with a complete bullshit fake legal looking seal and officious language that meant nothing, I lmao'd to read that they wanted her to tell them who was driving it without any sort of actual requirement for her to do that, so we wadded it up and tossed it. 6 months later they removed them all here because only people who get scared by fraudulent requests for money in the mail were falling for it. There's no tie to the DMV so they can go get hosed. Just don't contact the court to admit it's you, problem solved!

http://www.highwayrobbery.net/redlightcamsdocsLACountyDocsContd.html

It also helped that the picture sequence they sent of her car allegedly breaking this law showed the car midway through the intersection with the green light just turning amber (both illuminated), and then the next picture with it still amber didn't show her car within the intersection, so despite it being a Nissan, it could not have been breaking that law.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The operator companies were in on it with the cities and one of the slimier operators in San Diego I think also got busted for short timing the yellows by a fraction so more people would end up entering the intersection on Red. :911:

I believe the cities do all the enforcement now with help from DMV so I doubt there is a way out of them anymore. The drat things are everywhere now.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bad news: the new 7er is too long for my plebeian garage.
Good news: I found out the iX m60 is going to exist soon ish. The XM is tempting but no thanks. I’m done with BMW v8s.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Found the perfect family car

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gently caress I actually like it wtf

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

A lowered Cullinan? I like where this is going.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Hadlock posted:

BMW Charger looking good

Vvvv that’s the one I meant vvvv

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 26, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's clearly a Magnum

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

TheBacon posted:

After disassembling and replacing a significant chunk of N52 this weekend, I do not ever want to replace a water pump or thermostat housing again, I will absolutely pay someone to deal with those gently caress off hoses behind a subframe you can’t even see what you are trying to jam on.

Preventative or did yours fail? I have this repair already mentally noted as a shop fix.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Hadlock posted:

If they would only go back on the dumb as gently caress grill bullshit that would be pretty cool

ThirstyBuck posted:

Preventative or did yours fail? I have this repair already mentally noted as a shop fix.

Not mine but another goon's. Starter was a failure but everything else was preventative, water pump was the original and over 100k miles so probably would have been Soon(TM).

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Grill-pilled

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

fyallm posted:

Took the m2 into the dealership to get the stupid idrive system reboot issue figured out. Also, while it was in there they found a rodent nest that some lil mouse had chewed through some ignition system. Stupid country living.

Called me today and found a 2nd nest under abs controller. gently caress me

fyallm fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 27, 2022

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Oh let me just move some mouse traps out of the way before you get in.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fyallm posted:

Called me today and found a 2nd nest under abs controller. gently caress me

I had mouse problems with my first E90, they chewed the wiring and evap lines for the gas tank. Through some magic with the ladies at the local office, State Farm covered it under comprehensive. The rep calling from corporate thought it was moose damage. Somehow that's still funny 10+ years later. :D

Buy yourself a Tin Cat or two from Victor, and put it where you park. https://www.victorpest.com/victor-tin-cat-mouse-trap-m310s

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Popped another expansion tank in the E82, this makes 2 cracked expansion tanks and a failed water pump in just over 3 years

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

lot of white people in this thread

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lot of white people in this thread

I very clearly addressed that

KillHour posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ok so as a not white person it's in my interest to run a front plate

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Unfortunately, yes :(

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

absolutely

but as a white person I will take advantage of that white priviledge

Also at least in the Bay Area it mattered which city you got the ticket in, in Daly City (a mile south of SF) I got one while parked and it was $35 correctible to $10, in SF it was $165 without being lowerable at all.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Alarbus posted:

I had mouse problems with my first E90, they chewed the wiring and evap lines for the gas tank. Through some magic with the ladies at the local office, State Farm covered it under comprehensive. The rep calling from corporate thought it was moose damage. Somehow that's still funny 10+ years later. :D

Buy yourself a Tin Cat or two from Victor, and put it where you park. https://www.victorpest.com/victor-tin-cat-mouse-trap-m310s

Haha moose damage is pretty funny!

Luckily i moved and currently no mice!

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
OINK OINK!

Just joined the pig nose crew :hampants::mrapig:

Good bye m550i

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

That color.

I’m pleased like Dieter after a good episode of Sprockets.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That looks too dark to be Isle of Man Green, is it something different?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Sab669 posted:

It’s San Remo Metallic

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

IOM is M car only, I think. That is probably San Remo.

E:F;B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

BMW has a significant portfolio of very good green paints.