Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

PT6A posted:

I don't think we necessarily need to look super deep for the source of the suicide contagion amongst oligarchs. A bunch of people who live lives of unimaginable privilege are seeing it crumble before their eyes, with the very real risk that they'll suffer fates worse than a quick death from any number of directions. It doesn't seem implausible to me that a bunch of them are actually killing themselves.

Hahahahahahahaha.

Your not serious are you? Narcissistic power brokers don't kill themselves.

The siloviki and an unknown Russian force are competing for power as much internally as they are externally. I mean why fake blame on the ukrainians if Russia knows that they didn't do it? They are hiding the level of unrest boiling over. Yeah there aren't riots in the streets but that's all surface level unrest. I'm talking about an uprising being built. It isn't 0 day yet but things are happening that we can't see because all journalism in Russia is state run etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

PT6A posted:

I don't think we necessarily need to look super deep for the source of the suicide contagion amongst oligarchs. A bunch of people who live lives of unimaginable privilege are seeing it crumble before their eyes, with the very real risk that they'll suffer fates worse than a quick death from any number of directions. It doesn't seem implausible to me that a bunch of them are actually killing themselves.

No and murder of family members followed by suicide is tragically common from men losing wealth/status/going through divorce. But there have been a fair amount apparently in a short time, which more likely indicate that things are really hosed in Russia.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It's not Ukraine. It's a Russian political movement that has far reaching tendrils. It's too early but the CIA probably knows who it is and whether it's a "democratic" movement or fascist.

Russia's Adolf Hitler was born a few weeks ago on the outskirts of Kyiv. When will we see him is the question.

?????

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Scaramouche posted:

How To Disappear Completely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-M2hs3sXGo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I feel that if you look hard enough you’ll end up with an Ukrainian adaptation of Pizzagate.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Let's break it down: real fascist leaders are built on the losing side of the battlefield. While Russia is definitely on the spectrum of fascism it's still not yet cranked up to 10.

2. Russian/Belarusian partisan activity has been occuring for the duration of the war but it's gotten more and more flagrant. Power players are being killed loving constantly by either side that being the siloviki or the unknown Russian partisans.

They specifically hit Oil instead of tank refurbishment depots. Which means this is not about the war as much as it is reinvigorating the empire in a real sense instead of Putin's dollar tree empire. Ultra nationalists are creating more tensions so they can begin the uprising against the corruption that is hindering Russia from becoming the world superpower.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’ll need you to lay off the bottle.

nicepunk
Dec 13, 2008

Nosre posted:

https://twitter.com/peedutuisk/status/1497310882069581824 maybe?

The guy's smile is the most terrifying of all

Hahaha, my favourite vid from first days. Here's the guy being all cute and frightening at the same time:
https://twitter.com/y_gudymenko
https://www.instagram.com/yuriy.hudymenko/

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Simply put, the siloviki invaded Ukraine to stop the third collapse of the Russian state and all the sabotage and assassinations are symptoms of the failure to stop the inevitable. So the only way is to consolidate power. That accounts for half of the assassinations. The other half are the guys who are currently of unknown motives.

We are looking at this like "oh the oligarchs are a unified group and a few of them got killed" they aren't unified. Both Putin opposing and Putin loyalist oligarchs are being assassinated.

-

These situations are so intricate that it's utterly confusing to explain in pieces. Analysts will be trying to understand this period in Russian history for decades to come and they will still not be completely accurate.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Let's break it down: real fascist leaders are built on the losing side of the battlefield. While Russia is definitely on the spectrum of fascism it's still not yet cranked up to 10.

2. Russian/Belarusian partisan activity has been occuring for the duration of the war but it's gotten more and more flagrant. Power players are being killed loving constantly by either side that being the siloviki or the unknown Russian partisans.

They specifically hit Oil instead of tank refurbishment depots. Which means this is not about the war as much as it is reinvigorating the empire in a real sense instead of Putin's dollar tree empire. Ultra nationalists are creating more tensions so they can begin the uprising against the corruption that is hindering Russia from becoming the world superpower.

They're trying to become the most prolific father by cutting their own dicks off.

You can't rebuild Russia by destroying the only thing that is bring in money. Getting it rebuilt now means turning to foreign investment and those foreign investors aren't going to be backing some tinpot ultranationalist looking to eradicate them the moment they get power. We already have the Saudis and they ride a very thin line because it's more profitable for them to play around in Dubai than create the new Islamic fundamentalist caliphate.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Concerned Citizen posted:

every country's parliament needs to ratify it, so it is going to be a relatively lengthy process regardless.

This is probably going to be the most hilariously bipartisan vote in the US Congress in years, well except for the loving broke brain Q people, but I expect even most Republicans to vote for it.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
New gimmick account idea: post the exact content of the daily DoD briefing, UK defense ministry tweets, Michael Kofman analyses, but in this schizoid conspiracy style to make it seem like the poster has deep gnostic knowledge of the soul of Russia, Ukraine, NATO, and everyone else

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Young Freud posted:

They're trying to become the most prolific father by cutting their own dicks off.

You can't rebuild Russia by destroying the only thing that is bring in money. Getting it rebuilt now means turning to foreign investment and those foreign investors aren't going to be backing some tinpot ultranationalist looking to eradicate them the moment they get power. We already have the Saudis and they ride a very thin line because it's more profitable for them to play around in Dubai than create the new Islamic fundamentalist caliphate.

The comedy option: Russian eco fascists.

--

I mean we helped the Saudis with Wahhabism to start with. Can you give me some insight on what you think is happening? I mean I just want to bounce ideas of what the gently caress is going on because "Russian false flag" is not doing it for me. Neither is "ukrainian terrorist attacks" I think calling it that is a win for Russian state media and general war fervor.

A few weeks ago I posted a warning from Russia state media about increased partisan activity in ukrianian bordering regions, 6 hours later there was a bombing on a bridge or some poo poo, which my first thought it hmm false flag?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/anders_aslund/status/1518748703854665732

quote:

The security institutions, the ‘siloviki', that are key to propping up the regime are exchanging recriminations for a growing list of failures in the war on Ukraine.
Russia’s army is deeply unhappy at the new and curtailed strategy Putin has ordered them to adopt in Ukraine, abandoning the big goal of capturing Kyiv for a much more modest objective of invading Donbas, in the country’s east.

quote:

In 2014, when the Russian army swiftly occupied Crimea, the military and the security services were on the same page with Putin – they fully supported his decision to annex Crimea and were enthusiastic about the way it was done. It is very significantly different in 2022.

Does it matter? It matters a lot. This is the very first time the siloviki are putting distance between themselves and the president. Which opens up all sorts of possibilities.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

PT6A posted:

I could also believe that their state provided security details are tasked with ensuring they remain loyal to Putin and any who’s loyalty seems to be slipping might be getting dealt with. There’s no evidence of this that I’m aware of and it’s unlikely to emerge but it’s just a thought.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

gay picnic defence posted:

I could also believe that their state provided security details are tasked with ensuring they remain loyal to Putin and any who’s loyalty seems to be slipping might be getting dealt with. There’s no evidence of this that I’m aware of and it’s unlikely to emerge but it’s just a thought.

I consider that plausible too, and if we're being honest, there's no real way for us to know 100% either way.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Donkringel posted:

Why is everything so quiet here? There isn't any maneuvering or return fire. Just lines up tank after tank and blows them up like it's a combat drill. Wouldn't the tank crews try and re-position, fall back or just spray wildly into the foliage?

I read a theory that most tanks are operating on two man crews because officers were pocketing payroll for soldiers that existed on paper, so they just have a driver and commander and they literally can't fight with anything approaching competence.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Here. Read this book it's short

Then tell me about suicides in Russia and how likely they are

https://www.google.com/search?q=fro...mobile&ie=UTF-8

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

PT6A posted:

I consider that plausible too, and if we're being honest, there's no real way for us to know 100% either way.

I’m thinking the biggest knock on the theory is that it assumes a level of competency I’m not sure exists. After today I could just as easily see instructions to “deal with” a troublesome oligarch resulting in some agent purchasing an oil refinery or 40 wagon loads of stolen military equipment.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Charlz Guybon posted:

I read a theory that most tanks are operating on two man crews because officers were pocketing payroll for soldiers that existed on paper, so they just have a driver and commander and they literally can't fight with anything approaching competence.

I mentioned this in the GBS thread but at this point in the war, with the amount of vehicle kills that have occured you would 100% know if they were doing this because Ukrainians are recovering tanks/wrecks and would see the remains.

Like it wouldn't be some mystery, that's incredible easy to verify given the amount of tanks taken out.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov threatens with real probability of beginning of the Third World War

https://t.me/rbc_news/47903

Russian FM Lavrov: NATO de-facto entered proxy war with Russia with weapons supply to Ukraine

https://t.me/tass_agency/129867

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov threatens with real probability of beginning of the Third World War

What does this even mean for Russia? They can't realistically attack anyone else with their hands full trying to get something out of Ukraine. It's basically an empty gesture unless they're going to get China and whoever else to start a global conflict that literally nobody is interested in.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

jmnmu posted:

What does this even mean for Russia? They can't realistically attack anyone else with their hands full trying to get something out of Ukraine. It's basically an empty gesture unless they're going to get China and whoever else to start a global conflict that literally nobody is interested in.

It's just bad rhetoric. They are getting extremely desperate as their offensives aren't working they also sent a note to the US to stop sending Ukraine weapons.

Russia can't do poo poo and destroying the world isn't going to happen with this Russian fascist dictator in power. They are doing what they've always done, threaten world war 3. Their propaganda doesn't even make sense as I thought they were winning the war??

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Telsa Cola posted:

I mentioned this in the GBS thread but at this point in the war, with the amount of vehicle kills that have occured you would 100% know if they were doing this because Ukrainians are recovering tanks/wrecks and would see the remains.

If the Ukrainian military knew would they say? Would definitely want more proof of something like this before saying it's what's happening, but I mean I can easily see the Ukrainian military not mentioning some short comings in the Russian army if they thought that if they mentioned them they might actually be fixed, if they did. You know 'never interrupt your enemy when they are in the middle of making a mistake' type deal.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Prominent Russians having "accidents" isn't some big mystery

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukrainian Armed Forces restored control over 5 settlements of the Mykolaiv region - operational command "South"

This places the ukrianian military about 2 KM from encircling snihurivka a medium sized town.

This also places them within accurate artillery range of Kherson.

Russian troops fired all the kherson city council employees and occupied the building so they're garrisoning more defensive buildings and expect the city to be under siege.

It would appear that the ukrainian military may be within the city before the fake referendum is orchestrated at gunpoint.

Losing Kherson before fully capturing mariupol is another big loss in the Nazi war machine that may be happening in the next few weeks.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

dr_rat posted:

If the Ukrainian military knew would they say? Would definitely want more proof of something like this before saying it's what's happening, but I mean I can easily see the Ukrainian military not mentioning some short comings in the Russian army if they thought that if they mentioned them they might actually be fixed, if they did. You know 'never interrupt your enemy when they are in the middle of making a mistake' type deal.

Yes I would be willing to put money down that they would because it's incredibly embarrassing and incredibly stupid and they haven't pulled any punches about calling poo poo out like with that airport that keeps getting artilleryied and going "Look at these loving jokers"

Also there's not too much Russia can do at this point to fix the issue. You either A. Recall all of your vehicles to fix the crewing issue (and hopefully give them time to intergrate with the new team) or B. Send an additional crew member to your deployed forces. Both I imagine are logistical cluster fucks that Russia probably cannot pull off.

You could do that in stages/parts to make it easier but yeaaaah that seems like a nightmare to do even in a well organized military.

It's also not like all these vehicle kills are happening in areas only the military is at, civilians and reporters and such would probably have confirmed by now.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 26, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Going to go with the "billionaires dont off themselves" theory

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1518763095597985793
:pray: please be true

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

didn't that journalist who tracked him down say he was at a hospital in crimea?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Yes they initially said they were wounded and in a hospital. However this is newly reported and coming from above. They (likely) wouldn’t release this info without confirming given the high profile of this pow pos.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

This is probably going to be the most hilariously bipartisan vote in the US Congress in years, well except for the loving broke brain Q people, but I expect even most Republicans to vote for it.

The Senate passed a lend-lease bill for Ukraine around the 6th, it was by voice so no breakdown of aye/nay but an amendment to it was unanimously passed so maybe that gives some idea of the support. The sponsors were mostly republicans (14) to six demos and an indie.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Can you even identify remains if a tank's ammo cooks off ?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

Can you even identify remains if a tank's ammo cooks off ?

Not every tank is going to explode everything into smithereens, not every tank is going to explode, and even in the absence of complete bodies it's fairly easy to find enough to assign a MNI of greater than 2.

And yes, most competent militaries would go through the effort of checking if it was reported that their opponent's were being idiots and undercrewing stuff.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 26, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tetraptous posted:

Really, drones like TB2 are almost in the center of the Venn diagram of SAM engagement envelopes, in the sense that anything from a MANPADS to an S-300 can successfully engage them. I have no idea what happened here, but if a TB2 really did strike inside Russia it speaks to the total lack of preparation and competence that’s now looking characteristic of the Russian military.

Would a drone emit enough heat for a MANPADS to track it?

My guess would be that since Russia is acting like there is no war going on, they haven't done anything to defend their territory against retaliatory attacks. Because it was supposed to be over in a week...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

Would a drone emit enough heat for a MANPADS to track it?

Generally, yes. Or the MANPADS tracks using more than just heat. Very small drones like hobby drones maybe not, it depends. Something like a TB-2 flies so high that it’s likely out of range of MANPADS and extremely difficult to see with the naked eye.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Young Freud posted:

You and i know this is true, but neither of us is an ultranationalist. Those guys are 100% committed to the absolute fact that they don’t need outside help.

To the original theory, it is important to realize that Russia sort of has limited downside in terms of destruction. Obviously not the military, but cities are not going to get razed no matter how hard they lose. If you are a politician of that kleptocratic mafia state, and you saw advantage in losing the war (or just prolonging it), you may have some underhanded goals.

Attacking oil could be a oopsy, it could have been a dumb false flag, certainly an UA drone done got it, partisans maybe, an oligarch hitting another oligarch in his wallet isn’t crazier than anything else happening.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Crow Buddy posted:

You and i know this is true, but neither of us is an ultranationalist. Those guys are 100% committed to the absolute fact that they don’t need outside help.

To the original theory, it is important to realize that Russia sort of has limited downside in terms of destruction. Obviously not the military, but cities are not going to get razed no matter how hard they lose. If you are a politician of that kleptocratic mafia state, and you saw advantage in losing the war (or just prolonging it), you may have some underhanded goals.

Attacking oil could be a oopsy, it could have been a dumb false flag, certainly an UA drone done got it, partisans maybe, an oligarch hitting another oligarch in his wallet isn’t crazier than anything else happening.

Thank you for putting this into better words than I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

-Losses hurt, even small ones. When a tank is knocked out, that's one less vehicle and up to four less people covering your flank or spotting enemies. It could also result in your tank platoon commander getting killed or sent off the line and an underprepared NCO with one-to-more less tanks under his command.

hmmm, this makes a lot of sense. i remember a video of an austrian military officer breaking down drone footage of a ukrainian ambush of a russian armored column earlier in the war. the first anti-tank rocket killed the columns commander, and the all the vehicles come to a complete stop for about 90-120 seconds while trying to figure out what to do next. meanwhile accurate ukrainian artillery fire takes out another vehicle or two while they're stationary. eventually the whole column reverse and fucks off in the direction they came from.