Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven, Dog Soldiers, The Mission turns pretty Seven Samurai esque during it's climax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Pontypool

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
what movies do 'extremely competent protagonist in over their head' as well as no country for old men?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Zoracle Zed posted:

what movies do 'extremely competent protagonist in over their head' as well as no country for old men?

Sicario

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zoracle Zed posted:

Drive

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Zoracle Zed posted:

Less action-y but Tom Hanks is really good in this role. Captain Phillips, Bridge of Spies, Sully are all great

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Seconding Captain Phillips.

Apollo 13 fits the description perfectly too, speaking of Hanks.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Zoracle Zed posted:

The Conversation

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zoracle Zed posted:

The Killer (1989)

The Hustler (1961)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Zoracle Zed posted:

Primer
Shin Godzilla
A Serious Man
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Zoracle Zed posted:

predator

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zoracle Zed posted:

The Friends of Eddie Coyle.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Zoracle Zed posted:

Joke answers
The Big Lebowski
Inherent Vice
Airplane!
Naked Gun

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Alright, this might be a weird request. I can't play the video game Payday 2 anymore because of motion sickness. Lately, I've been especially nostalgic for the ol' 'Cop-Clicker' so, I watched Heat for the first time on Pluto.tv to see if I would enjoy it. I did, though it was a little more 'human' than I expected. For background, Inception is probably my favorite movie. That movie is a lot of things but I would not describe it as particularly 'human' and that suits me just fine.

I wanted to see more heist movies, preferably with a lean towards action. Bonus points for a literal bank robbery, ludicrous waves of cops, being clever/cerebral and/or having good visceral action sequences.

I looked at the Wikipedia page for Heist Movies, and could just as easily start there, but the problem is: I am fairly squeamish and I don't want to see movies with lurid depictions of graphic fleshy gore or people squirming around in agony. For instance, (spoilers for 1995's Heat) most of the blood in Heat was fine, like where it's blood on shirts when dudes get shot, but seeing a character with visible slit wrists bothered me. Resources like MPAA ratings or so-called 'parents guides' don't always cover enough, which is why I'm asking here.

I have access to Netflix and Disney+, but feel free to suggest others.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

therattle posted:

Joke answers
The Big Lebowski
Inherent Vice
Airplane!
Naked Gun
Doc Sportello in Inherent Vice is actually super competent. That's not a joke answer. He's a dopey stoner but given what he's up against, what his goals are, etc. he does quite well.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Alright, this might be a weird request. I can't play the video game Payday 2 anymore because of motion sickness. Lately, I've been especially nostalgic for the ol' 'Cop-Clicker' so, I watched Heat for the first time on Pluto.tv to see if I would enjoy it. I did, though it was a little more 'human' than I expected. For background, Inception is probably my favorite movie. That movie is a lot of things but I would not describe it as particularly 'human' and that suits me just fine.

I wanted to see more heist movies, preferably with a lean towards action. Bonus points for a literal bank robbery, ludicrous waves of cops, being clever/cerebral and/or having good visceral action sequences.

I looked at the Wikipedia page for Heist Movies, and could just as easily start there, but the problem is: I am fairly squeamish and I don't want to see movies with lurid depictions of graphic fleshy gore or people squirming around in agony. For instance, (spoilers for 1995's Heat) most of the blood in Heat was fine, like where it's blood on shirts when dudes get shot, but seeing a character with visible slit wrists bothered me. Resources like MPAA ratings or so-called 'parents guides' don't always cover enough, which is why I'm asking here.

Ignore any suggestions for the Netflix show Money Heist. Despite its title and its ostensible premise, it's not what you want.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tower Heist
Dragged Across Concrete is fairly tame despite the title
Dog Day Afternoon

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Zoracle Zed posted:

Can't go wrong with Aliens

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Money Plane

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

Money Plane

Do not listen to this person. I know everyone likes to lol at that clip of Edge and Kelsey Grammer, but that movie is terrible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What are some good cult movies? I mean movies featuring cults, not movies with cult followings. Although movies about cults that also have cult followings are fine.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Gripweed posted:

What are some good cult movies? I mean movies featuring cults, not movies with cult followings. Although movies about cults that also have cult followings are fine.

I liked The Sacrament but reviews were mixed, might depend on your taste for found footage. The Endless is a very weird, sci-fi take on cults.

Faults and Martha Marcy May Marlene are both good but are more about someone recovering from being in a cult.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’m not sure if a family counts as a cult, but if so, Dogtooth.
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, kind of.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

The Wicker Man.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Magnetic North posted:

It's ostensibly an espionage movie, but Ronin hits all of these beats (though no bank heist).

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Kill List

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The Wolf House

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

The Inside Man was a good heist film. It’s not really action packed though but it does take place in a bank!

I would also recommend the 1967 film Robbery that’s another good heist film.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I should’ve been more specific, I mean proper cults. Robes, sacrifices, a nude lady tied to an altar, that whole vibe. They don’t have to be satanic, but that kind of old school satansploitation thing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gripweed posted:

I should’ve been more specific, I mean proper cults. Robes, sacrifices, a nude lady tied to an altar, that whole vibe. They don’t have to be satanic, but that kind of old school satansploitation thing.

this kind of action right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVUrOErXsJc

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

yes exactly. I want movies that look like that

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Gripweed posted:

The Black Cat (1934), The Seventh Victim, The Devil's Hand, City of the Dead, Blood on Satan's Claw.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 27, 2022

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The Ninth Gate
Race with the Devil
Black Death

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Dagon

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I'm looking for movies like Assault on Precinct 13, Straw Dogs, Night of the Living Dead or even Green Room. Basically, people trapped and either defending themselves (or trying to escape) against intruders. I watched a movie called Siege (1981) on Shudder the other night that got me thinking about it and need to scratch that itch.

Searching for movies like those either returns lists of random 70s movies or zombie movies without the being trapped part of the equation.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anyone have recs for movies that capture that kinda Bukowski-esque vibe like Rumblefish or Down By Law? Deep cuts appreciated but all suggestions are welcome

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Anyone have recs for movies that capture that kinda Bukowski-esque vibe like Rumblefish or Down By Law? Deep cuts appreciated but all suggestions are welcome

I'm assuming you've already seen Barfly. Factotum can be skipped, it's much too slick and Matt Dillon looks like a pretty boy masquerading as a wino compared to Mickey Rourke in Barfly, who looks like a loving bum.

One dark horse option is My Own Private Idaho.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Midsommar

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

The Love Witch. Ghoulies. Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gripweed posted:

yes exactly. I want movies that look like that

dracula ad 1972 looks like it was shot in the same church it's so close

lots of hammer films have this vibe