Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
America gave the world the 1918 flu, it was China's turn this time. Next worldwide pandemic it's our turn again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
America also gave the world the eugenics movement so there’s precedent

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

cagliostr0 posted:

Democrats delenda est

it's this part that's the most embarrassing

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
With numbers like these, you don't need conspiracy theories:

quote:

The average age of Canadians who died of COVID-19 in 2020 is 83.8 years. By comparison, the average age at death in Canada in 2019 was 76.5 years.

quote:

The median age at time of illness for cases, cases ever hospitalized and deaths decreased through each subsequent wave of the pandemic. From wave 1 to wave 4, median age decreased by 37.5% for cases (age 48 compared to age 30), 18.6% for cases ever hospitalized (age 70 compared to age 57), and 12.9% for deaths (age 85 compared to age 74).

lol forever. forever lolling.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

StratGoatCom posted:

Oh pah-lease. It's a loving bat virus, those things are hardcore because bats are hardcore. It only got out of control because we gave it endless leeway to evolve. It is a monument to all our sins, not the Grey Death.

Bats are monstrous homunculi created by the CIA using CRISPR and dark magic. That's why you never hear about them before 1776.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
bats? you mean devil birds

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I'm not sold on it being intentionally released, but the kind of mutation for SARS to become covid is of the type that doesn't happen in nature but (purely coincidentally) look exactly like the kind that does happen with CRISPR.

i can tell from the pixels nucleotides

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

LastInLine posted:

The internal memoranda which points to it being lab created doesn't really preclude the virus escaping being an accident but the features of the original virus itself strongly points to it being engineered for virulence.

Again, if it was engineered for virulence, why was it basically as virulent as sars and responded just fine to normal public health measures, while the version active now, developed completely in the wild, is totally uncontrollable. I would expect a virus engineered for virulence to not immediately be triple-one-upped by nature.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

30.5 Days posted:

Again, if it was engineered for virulence, why was it basically as virulent as sars and responded just fine to normal public health measures, while the version active now, developed completely in the wild, is totally uncontrollable. I would expect a virus engineered for virulence to not immediately be triple-one-upped by nature.

obviously it was engineered to do that

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the best lock is the one that even you do not have the key to

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

30.5 Days posted:

Why was the variant that the entire world shut down to try and stop not spreading like the current one where basically every measure to contain it has been abandoned. It surely is an unsolvable conundrum.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

cagliostr0 posted:

Why was the variant that the entire world shut down to try and stop not spreading like the current one where basically every measure to contain it has been abandoned. It surely is an unsolvable conundrum.

You mean back when nobody was wearing masks, there was no vaccine and everyone's idea of covid precautions was weirdly spaced out lines?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
*waits in line outside the grocery store with hundreds of others for 30 minutes wearing no mask* crazy people are getting sick even though they Windex their produce, this must be the most transmissible virus ever!

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

30.5 Days posted:

You mean back when nobody was wearing masks, there was no vaccine and everyone's idea of covid precautions was weirdly spaced out lines?

Where I lived managed to twice go a month without a single infection by having mask rules, a app that you checked into public venues to alert if somebody also at that venue at that time popped and severely limiting interstate travel. The day the border controls stopped our infection rates went to the moon and they stopped bothering getting people to do pcrs.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

Again, if it was engineered for virulence, why was it basically as virulent as sars and responded just fine to normal public health measures, while the version active now, developed completely in the wild, is totally uncontrollable. I would expect a virus engineered for virulence to not immediateli1y be triple-one-upped by nature.

WTF even is this, you can't "engineer for virulence" you gotta get out there as a level 0 scrub and earn the points to evolve the trait

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

good morning. how screwed are the Democrats today?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Stereotype posted:

uhhhhmm

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i work at the nursing home and they just brought in president biden and he pee pee doo dood in his diap

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Stereotype posted:

that sounds like a really lovely lock tbh

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its a too many cooks situation

The virus was sitting there in the lab and one scientist came by and said "oh I'll add a little virulence" then the next one said "ooh some healthy carriers would go well in this recipe" and before you know it its covid!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I made covid

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
the zanarkand abes, boy, those fellas could play blitzball :dementia:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

mediaphage posted:

yeah sorry i don't buy any of that poo poo, i don't think covid is some engineered supervirus

it doesn't have to be an engineered surpervirus to have been unleased by a bioweapons lab (through malice or incompetence)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stereotype posted:

bats? you mean devil birds

bats, unlike birds, are real.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

until there’s solid evidence of it being released from a bio weapons lab, it’s groundless speculation that makes you sound like a crank

actually, who cares if you sound like a crank on this dead website, go hog wild. this is just a test run for the real great reset plague that will reduce the human population (the cattle) to less than 100,000,000 million who will labor for the Elect

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

THS2 posted:

until there’s solid evidence of it being released from a bio weapons lab, it’s groundless speculation that makes you sound like a crank

actually, who cares if you sound like a crank on this dead website, go hog wild. this is just a test run for the real great reset plague that will reduce the human population (the cattle) to less than 100,000,000 million who will labor for the Elect

Who cares if there was an intentional leak, though? That's like the least fun part. The fun part is how perfectly the material effects of continued propagation align with long-standing existing conspiracy theories like chemtrails.

It sterilizes some. It causes brain damage. It kills the elderly.

Sure, it's not actually purposeful, but the actions of the Dems in power sure make it seem that way.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the thing that gets me about all the conspiracy theories about, like, oh this company created it to make their vaccine more profitable, or oh, this government created it to kill all the elderly, or whatever, is that you don't need a conspiracy to make that work. That's just Occam's razor of capitalism and incompetence. Of course unprofitable medical companies were making dire warnings about how we all need to buy their products to avoid a pandemic before the pandemic happened, that's what companies do. There are probably a hundred companies out there right now making dire warnings about how if we don't buy their products we'll all die in [insert catastrophe here], we just don't notice because that kind of catastrophizing to make money or to desperately try and avoid going out of business is the background noise of capitalism. It's only when one of those predictions accidentally comes true because yeah it turns out sometimes catastrophes do happen, then people put on their tinfoil hats to try and claim that company caused the catastrophe to juice share prices and ignore that 99 other companies went bankrupt because their catastrophes didn't come true. Like for instance Lockheed Martin is going to make a shitload of money off the war in Ukraine, that doesn't mean they caused it, it just means they've spent decades telling governments "only by spending billions on LockMart weaponry can your country be safe" and now, almost certainly unrelatedly, there's a catastrophe happening somewhere else in the world that makes governments feel unsafe so they turn to the corporation that's been whispering in their ear the whole time.

Same thing with governments doing coverups of how their bad Covid strategies killed people, or desperately wishing for it to go away, or opening the economy to let people die. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy because that's how those governments treat every issue. It's only if you look at Covid in isolation that it seems like some kind of conspiracy, because if you look at it in the context of liberal democracy over the last four decades you realize that oh, incompetence and coverups and prioritizing the economy over people's lives is just the norm, so yeah of course they treated Covid the same way.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

There's no dogs for you to brick in this thread, get the gently caress back to the weird rear end covid thread tia

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Equipping my astronaut suit to get a box of zebra cakes from the bodega

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
There is no level of evil or stupidity that I would dismiss out of hand as being impossible for our current leaders and institutions.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

vyelkin posted:

the thing that gets me about all the conspiracy theories about, like, oh this company created it to make their vaccine more profitable, or oh, this government created it to kill all the elderly, or whatever, is that you don't need a conspiracy to make that work. That's just Occam's razor of capitalism and incompetence. Of course unprofitable medical companies were making dire warnings about how we all need to buy their products to avoid a pandemic before the pandemic happened, that's what companies do. There are probably a hundred companies out there right now making dire warnings about how if we don't buy their products we'll all die in [insert catastrophe here], we just don't notice because that kind of catastrophizing to make money or to desperately try and avoid going out of business is the background noise of capitalism. It's only when one of those predictions accidentally comes true because yeah it turns out sometimes catastrophes do happen, then people put on their tinfoil hats to try and claim that company caused the catastrophe to juice share prices and ignore that 99 other companies went bankrupt because their catastrophes didn't come true. Like for instance Lockheed Martin is going to make a shitload of money off the war in Ukraine, that doesn't mean they caused it, it just means they've spent decades telling governments "only by spending billions on LockMart weaponry can your country be safe" and now, almost certainly unrelatedly, there's a catastrophe happening somewhere else in the world that makes governments feel unsafe so they turn to the corporation that's been whispering in their ear the whole time.

Same thing with governments doing coverups of how their bad Covid strategies killed people, or desperately wishing for it to go away, or opening the economy to let people die. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy because that's how those governments treat every issue. It's only if you look at Covid in isolation that it seems like some kind of conspiracy, because if you look at it in the context of liberal democracy over the last four decades you realize that oh, incompetence and coverups and prioritizing the economy over people's lives is just the norm, so yeah of course they treated Covid the same way.
yep. the covid-truthers are anti-marxists.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Subvisual Haze posted:

There is no level of evil or stupidity that I would dismiss out of hand as being impossible for our current leaders and institutions.

american politics is generally just a clash between occam and hanlon

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Even if no one is at the wheel, those that are pulling strings and especially those profiting from them are guilty.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lib and let die posted:

There's no dogs for you to brick in this thread, get the gently caress back to the weird rear end covid thread tia

I'd disagree considering how your posts are dogshit :grin:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Joe Biden owns, and the democrats are going to win.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lib and let die posted:

this

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Joe Biden owns, and the democrats are going to win.

If by owns, you mean he possesses lots of prions, and by win, you mean rake in lots of cash for themselves without providing any meaningful benefits for the people who voted for them, then yeah, that's correct.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
they’re going to win a first class trip to the garbage can

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Poz my neg lungs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/alex_sammon/sta...ingawful.com%2F