Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Scholtz posted:

If he cheated and had both written and filmed evidence of his crimes, why was the media so silent on it? Wouldn't Chevron blast that the guy posting videos of how horribly they polluted the area and show just how much of a cheat he is? Sure, maybe not on CNN or in the NYT, but... at least a little? Maybe?

He cheated but Chevron really did pollute the area, so why would they want to make a big deal of that? They got what they want, Donziger was punished way out of proportion for what he did and Chevron will just never pay anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:rip: Back to prison

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

How?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He cheated which is why the state refused to prosecute him. They love giving up those slam dunks.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 25, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah feels like if they actually did have some smoking gun on him they would have blasted it everywhere in the media to completely discredit him and use it as an excuse for why you can't trust him or his case about them poisoning those people.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Lmao if you think Chevron would turn down "Corrupt Lawyer Cheated to Win Unjust Ruling; Chevron Vindicated from Pollution Fake News Witch Hunt" headlines

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

seconding this motion

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1518602432787501056?s=20&t=87VBb9TGus6uK2tajlptuw

I wonder how they were going to try to drag him back to hell next. No way this is over.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Defamation lawsuits from anyone he talked about could happen I think. Even the judge!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

terrorist ambulance posted:

i mean, if you want to read the 497 page ruling, go nuts, it's here https://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/chevronruling.pdf

that ruling was upheld on appeal

i kept hearing him on chapo and other leftist media, and the result seemed so profoundly absurd and unjust it didn't seem possible. so went to see if i could find the actual text of what happened to find the guy in contempt, and was surprised to find that a lot of the allegations were substantiated by his own statements against interest. but when you read that decision, and then find that the basis for appealing it was that the judge had interests in mutual funds that included chevron... lol

You have a dog's brain but none of the people skills.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mr. Lobe posted:

https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1518602432787501056?s=20&t=87VBb9TGus6uK2tajlptuw

I wonder how they were going to try to drag him back to hell next. No way this is over.

Jailed for incorrect use of "Kafkaesque"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

I dunno, dude was trapped in an unfeeling machine that only sees him as fuel to support the wealthy and powerful that was both horrific and pure evil and yet also absurd and strange, may be the first time on the internet someone actually used 'Kafkaesque' to describe their situation and was correct.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Please, no meat touching ma'am.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Hell yeah hopefully a movie review episode incoming

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1518622096049508352?s=21&t=AbH8ShOrNjBrSawZcISuxw

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Bad Faith has occasionally interesting guests and whatnot. Funnily, some of her most egregious/“controversial” episodes are behind the paywall, so I don’t ever hear em anyway.

There’s also some good Black culture episodes. An early BF episode which is on the Patreon but I’ve wanted to listen to is about white/Black cultural points of reference.

It’s always super LOL when she brings up her “shadow ban” which might be real but makes her sound insanely whiny whenever she brings it up. Brie, you aren’t bad but STFU about Twitter stats!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Please just make a separate thread for it instead of posting about it in here

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So how exactly did Donzinger cheat? And will we get an explanation before or after Amber comes back?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So how exactly did Donzinger cheat? And will we get an explanation before or after Amber comes back?

I dunno there's a 500-page ruling by the judge who's been loving him over

https://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/chevronruling.pdf

Big TL;DR there.

News reports I can find mention allegations of bribing judges, but I can't find the specifics. I can find that the documentary crew filmed the independent environmental scientist who later wrote the main report having a meeting before he did the report where he presented finding to the plaintiffs in Ecuador and was part of a strategy meeting.

I think he got disbarred for the RICO/bribery/ghostwriting reports stuff and then actually got house arrest and 6 months in jail for refusing to release his notes and names of his contacts (so that Chevron could kill them all).

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
yeah, the u.s. is going to say lots of things as to why no one has to abide by foreign courts rulings

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

Donziger was suspended from practicing law in New York in July 2018, based on rulings by US District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan in the Chevron case. The state bar association appointed an independent referee to investigate. The referee recommended Donziger's reinstatement in February 2020, saying "The extent of [Donziger’s] pursuit by Chevron is so extravagant, and at this point so unnecessary and punitive, [that] while not a factor in my recommendation, [it] is nonetheless background to it". A state appeals court ruled in August 2020 that the referee had been "too dismissive" of the misconduct that Kaplan had alleged, and disbarred Donziger in New York.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Please, no meat touching ma'am.

An under-appreciated reference. :golfclap:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Heath posted:

What do you interpret the word to mean?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The joke is that he didn't actually use it incorrectly and got arrested for it anyway under the claim he did. It would be a very Kafkaesque outcome

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ordinaire posted:

I, too, got the reference and appreciated it

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/billybinion/status/1518708420945326089?s=21&t=euV4X-M9NrTvXM3vGgL4gw

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
hes right in a way. but the piddling crime that i truly hate elon for is that he's a bad poster

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Ordinaire posted:

The real crime is that when the best episode concludes with Andy getting his break, only by direct action of his empowered friend, and we know it's not gonna happen 20 years later. Gen X was feared for its ambiguity to Boomers but it makes them hate Millennials & Zoomers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-1tk0o59Qc

You could write a Marxist thesis on this show with Unemployment Part 2 as the specific example

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 20, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

IMO, it'd be cool if they did a kickstarter or something to finish the last couple eps they had animatics for or whatever. Nothing 'new' or anything..just those final episode(s?)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Looked around the enormous report from that judge on Donziger. Seems like a lot of it stems from maneuvering by the Donziger team to get the expert they wanted to be appointed as the independent expert to write the environmental damage report, and thus that dude agreed with a lot of their assessments of things. A lot of these allegations are backed up by quotes from the documentary that have a lot of ellipses in them and seem like they could be read as "We have a strategy to beat Chevron" instead of "We are going to do illegal poo poo to beat Chevron". Donziger's team seems like they were much more on the ball about the selection of this expert dude, which seems to me like gamesmanship along the lines of getting the jury you want selected. There was also some payment to the dude that the report says would have been legal if it was out in the open but that it came from a "secret account" therefore it was 9 different wire fraud and RICO crimes.

Didn't read the whole thing of course but it certainly read like the judge was very scandalized by the plaintiff's attempt to win a case.

I'm no law-talking guy, but the fact that U.S. attorney passed on it makes more sense having read some of it.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 26, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there any info on the judges ties, financial or otherwise, to Chevron?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Bust Rodd posted:

Is there any info on the judges ties, financial or otherwise, to Chevron?

https://amazonwatch.org/news/2014/1029-judge-kaplan-held-investments-in-chevron-when-he-ruled-for-company

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat it really seems like they shouldn’t be allowed be personally financially invested in the defendant’s business

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1376676895001997312?s=20&t=6xO4wW1YNI4KIhGZWDkI7Q

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

just being on the Federalist Society is enough, I don't think the Chevron sponsorship is what's doing it (though it helps of course)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Seems like a lot of it stems from maneuvering by the Donziger team to get the expert they wanted

Thankfully that has never happened in a trial before or since

Also tyfys I wasn't reading that poo poo

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

This is a real emperor new clothes moment for me. He has so many obvious scams going, his reputation is all puffery, and his assets are obviously overvalued. It's trite for me to even say it. He isn't even particularly charming or commanding.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I figure that if you're not really left-wing or right-wing, there isn't really anyone you can believe in besides these billionaires who pretend to be likable mad scientists. That's the only way I can make sense of it, it's totally delusional.

The fandom seems strongest among that hard to define class of young men who are not left, more or less socially liberal, definitely not woke, probably going to lose money in crypto.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
and it all makes a bit more sense if you imagine

0. Musk has deeply held personal convictions he pulled from his rear end and never sniffed
1. He is a capital-p Poster who truly believes he can Post Through It
2. His nickname is "Ol' Musky"
4. He was born on third base & is proud of how cooly he slid home, wearing Nike's studded with his Dad's Apartheid-powered emeralds
5. He's a nerd who values intelligence and rationality above all else
6. He's achieved nothing of value on his own
7. He has nothing "real" to show for his massive self-estimated potential
7. Nobody he respects has ever respected him back and nobody he loved has ever even liked him
8. He couldn't force his Dad to respect him
9. He couldn't force the Stanford Materials Science PhD Program to respect him (lol I dropped out of Cornell's but in 3years not 2 days)
10. He would trade all 10 million fanboys for a single fun thread in GBS people loved or a single shoutout from the most hardened computer janitors of YOSPOS
11. And he will spend billions of dollars protecting the one social media platform that goony nerds frequent because he might finally get us to say we were wrong and HE IS CORRECT ON THE INTERNET!!!

This dude is a failure in our own mold, and his shitpile of a personality is the result of experiencing everything that could possibly decrease your posting credibility without permabanning

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I was just wondering earlier today if he has an account on here. Feel free to PM me, Elon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Too bad there's nobody here who ~mysteriously~ buys out websites :tinfoil: