Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I'm really glad Michael Mando got to show his chops this season. Man, he was great. And that ending...wasn't expecting that.

edit: something about a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I googled Bolsa's words at the end of Nacho's spiel: "es suyo" is "it's his" according to the dictionary, am I right in assuming in this case it means "it's him" as in "he just verified that it's Alvarez"?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

What nobody's mentioning, maybe because it doesn't need mentioning, is that we are now losing 25% of the perspectives we get on this show. Not only are there 10 more episodes ahead, they're focused on the Saul/Kim combo and Mike. Slimming things down means denser episodes and a faster pace to the story. This is exciting!

...Assuming they don't... y'know... decide to give some other character's perspective some mainline screentime.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
If only Robert Forster was still alive, then the Alaska option would've been available for Nacho, but alas. What a badass way to go out

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i'm a bit pissed off that they had an actor capable of scenes like nacho's final one for this entire run but it's the first time he's been allowed to do it.

gasped when nacho shot himself - i was assuming victor was going to 'put him down' in a non lethal way somehow going in, although after seeing how the scene was laid out, that wasn't an option. nacho knew he was dying one way or another, and just set it up so that his dad would be left alone afterwards - and, not trusting gus to deal with this right or even try, he did what little he could to sell the story by giving that performance, which was only a lie in terms of the actual facts.

nacho had only recently become a point of major interest for me so i am sad to see him go out so early, but like someone said, whittling down the focus of this show towards the end could end up being a good thing. my interest in jimmy and kim's scene was up by a lot this week because they were discussing what has become the main story of the show, which is cartel chaos.

let's get this howard thing moving now.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I've been more forgiving of the presence of the Cartel stuff but its undeniable that both Lalo and especially Nacho as characters, did the most heavy lifting in making those storylines compelling since S3. I'm sad to see Nacho go but them not dragging out his fate was a nice twist and his final scene was gangbusters.

Upthread it was mentioned that how quickly Nacho's arc was addressed might mean we're gonna get way more future stuff than previously though and I wonder if it'll play out just like Breaking Bad with the climax to the ongoing story in episode 9 or 10 with the final 3 or 4 episodes to wrap up the Gene stuff.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Nacho being left both figuratively holding the bag for Lalo’s murder while also literally holding Bolsa (which means bag in Spanish) was very cute.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah, lalo and nacho have both elevated that half of the show significantly. most of the cartel characters to me are very one dimensional and dry. basically b-movie quality. including gus at this point.

Trevor Gottitall
May 9, 2009
Grimey Drawer

By popular demand posted:

I googled Bolsa's words at the end of Nacho's spiel: "es suyo" is "it's his" according to the dictionary, am I right in assuming in this case it means "it's him" as in "he just verified that it's Alvarez"?

Could be wrong, but I think it was "He's yours." as in "Take it away, Salamancas!"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That makes more sense. Thanks.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
nacho died because he just had to do blackface

I think he’s gonna come back to life since he went through getting baptized, becoming a car carpenter like his dad for a bit, and then the last supper with mike

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I think the other half after the break will be all future stuff with Gene. Looks like we’re finishing off the before stuff right now.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

given that nacho has had no loving agency at all for most of his storyline, him displaying that he has the power of life and death over everyone present at his own cartel execution is a hell of a way to go out

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Really wanted Nacho to get away and live with his dad in peace. :( Mando has been fantastic

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

His dad had no idea that was the last conversation he was going to have with his son. :smith:

That hit hard.

Also, Mike wasn't prepared to snipe anyone (unless someone was about to kill Gus); this was Mike's way of being able to watch what happened without being spotted.

RIP Nacho. Good use of the show's once-a-season "gently caress" :golfclap:

Anyone have next week's promo?

Oh, here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB2kSsNXi7c

Edit: also, even though he said that last week, Nacho DEFINITELY has Gus' respect now.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 26, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Breaking Bad sets up something in the second season episode "Better Call Saul", when a black bag kidnapped Jimmy attempts to guess who his kidnappers are and to plead with them in a panic.

Saul: No, it wasn't me! It was Ignacio, he's the one! Oh no, oh no, no, no, no! Siempre soy amigo! Siempre! Siempre soy amigo del cartel!
Jesse: Shut up, dude! Shut up, alright? Just speak English.
Saul: Lalo didn't send you? No Lalo?!
Jesse: ...Who?
Saul: Oh, thank God! Oh, Christ! Oh, I thought... Wha-what can I do for you, gentlemen? Anything, just-just tell me what you need!

I mean, basically this entire show is extrapolated from this one line, isn't it?

Prequels don't have a great track record, but this one's done a pretty all right job of setting out a target and throwing a whole bunch of poo poo in the air and having it come down pretty drat close.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There are good deaths, there are bad deaths, and there are "hell yeah, ride on straight to Valhalla" deaths :black101:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

His dad had no idea that was the last conversation he was going to have with his son. :smith:

I feel like his Dad kind of knew - it was clear he was in trouble, and the only way for him to get out if it is to go to the police. They've had that conversation many times before, there's nothing more he can say. Still hurts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There are good deaths, there are bad deaths, and there are "hell yeah, ride on straight to Valhalla" deaths :black101:

I feel like his Dad kind of knew - it was clear he was in trouble, and the only way for him to get out if it is to go to the police. They've had that conversation many times before, there's nothing more he can say. Still hurts.

I don't think his dad thought or had any idea that his son was in this much trouble, to the point where this would be the last time they spoke. He probably figured he'd end up in jail or still on the run.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Mercury Hat posted:

Everything else about the episode aside, I love how familiar with each other Jimmy and Kim are. The scene with them helping each other to get ready was such a nice bit of character acting and it's going to be awful to see what drives them apart :allears: .

I had the same thought minus the last bit. That part was great.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

"Zip me up" is such incredibly overused shorthand too communicate how close a couple are, that I'm actually surprised how effectively it worked here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It just occurred to me that we got zero Lalo in this past episode.

Edit: vvvvvv :golfclap:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 26, 2022

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

No Lalo?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't think his dad thought or had any idea that his son was in this much trouble, to the point where this would be the last time they spoke. He probably figured he'd end up in jail or still on the run.

I'm not so sure on that. Nacho calling him in the middle of a work day saying it was good to hear your voice. His dad knowing he was in deep poo poo and also knowing he wasn't going to go to the police... I'm sure he had a pretty good idea that was going to be the end. Although, I honestly thought that Nacho was going to give him 1 last warning that he needed to run because it seems like it would be commonsense that the Salamanca's would have gone straight for his dad if they couldn't find Nacho.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Nacho's entire exit scene was gripping. Part of me wonders if going off script as much as he did, particularly revealing the pill swap, does anything but put Papi back on Hector's poo poo list.

I know Nacho is probably gambling that this sells it to Gus even harder, and by extension guarantees Mike's protection. But put that much heat on yourself then rob Hector and the Salamanca's of the opportunity to maim and torture in revenge? Dangerous. Hell, Gus could even tell Mike–who saw everything go off-script but never heard how–that things went majorly south and Papi doesn't get protection.

To be clear I'm not suggesting this is a problem with the story, narrative, or even the character's motivations. Rather, I'm agreeing with folks that Papi may still be an important plot figure.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gently caress Hector forever. That is SUCH a gently caress you to him. "Hey, your entire remaining existence is lovely because of ME! And now you can't even get your revenge!"

:discourse:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
kinda hate nacho's dad. i forget about the whole nacho was a drug dealer thing, but still. typical distant prick dad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t think we’ve seen him since episode 1

Although because the first two episodes were basically just one big one I could be wrong

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

roomtone posted:

kinda hate nacho's dad. i forget about the whole nacho was a drug dealer thing, but still. typical distant prick dad.

What more was there to say?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, that's certainly a take... Nacho's dad is frustrated, sad, and upset after years of pleading, trying to get his son away from the Salamancas and all that poo poo, and Nacho never listened or stopped. His dad is tired of it all now, but it doesn't change how he feels.

Yeah, definitely a prick :rolleyes:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If I weren't already a believer during either of the previous two seasons, I would be a believer from just this episode: Better Call Saul is the better Gilligan show in my opinion. Frankly it's getting to the point I don't even think it's going to be close. I had a blast revisiting things leading up to the premiere, and expectations continue to be blown away. That ending is an alltimer and I'll echo feeling sad we didn't get to see Mando do more of that before now

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Better Call Saul is way better than Breaking Bad already. They've got 10 more eps to really rub it in.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

There’s no way Nacho doesn’t kill Lalo, then either gets killed himself or escapes with his dad.

As for Saul namedropping them in BB, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Jimmy/Kim and Nacho/Gus storylines don’t even intersect again until like the very last scene. There’s no reason for Saul to ever see or hear about either of them again alive or dead.

I would like to have this post stricken from the record.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Really enjoyed how Kim and Jimmy's post-it wall continued the theme of their Howard scheme being a TV writer's room.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

When Lalo isn't in the episode, everyone should be asking "Where's Lalo?"

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Zero One posted:

honestly kind of was thinking that, dude is making me anxious

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

he’s up to some poo poo!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zero One posted:

He is in the ceiling, ready to drop down at a moment's notice.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s off in the Spider-Lalo Verse

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

that episode was really, really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'll bet Sr. Varga is about to gets antsy as the days go by and no sign from Nacho, I wonder what's mike's plan to stop him from going to the police.

meanwhile Lalo is loose looking for evidence, what evidence could he possibly find in mexico?