Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dwesa posted:

Des anyone know how many Russian soldiers are stationed in Transnistria?

There are conflicting reports. According to some, fewer than a brigade, and mostly of consisting of Moldovan nationals by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dwesa posted:

As of 2019? 1,500

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russi...l%20Commission.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dwesa posted:

About 1,500 according to reports from 2019 but that number may have changed prior to the outbreak of war

e;fb

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

so these fucks are really just gonna invade Moldavia now after some bullshit false flags? how are they this dumb or is it desperation? poo poo like that really does make me think they might try poo poo with Finland.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so these fucks are really just gonna invade Moldavia now after some bullshit false flags? how are they this dumb or is it desperation? poo poo like that really does make me think they might try poo poo with Finland.

Is this sort of like the US bombing Cambodia and engaging in regime change shenanigans there because you want free rein to get at your enemy through another angle?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Radio coverage this morning referred to a heavy Vagner presence in Transnistria, possibly forming the basis for any move into Ukraine.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Dwesa posted:

Relatively few and they're now isolated and will eventually need either evacuation or some kind of agreement with NATO or Ukraine to enable resupply/rotation. Invading Moldova has been off the table since they pulled back from Kiev and gave up on the (unrealistic) plan to steamroll through Ukraine to get there.

This stuff about Transnistria is propaganda aimed at a domestic audience not anything realistically on the table.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

The people who were found dead were not oligarchs, they were top managers in state-controlled companies.

Well, the rest of the top managers better start cooperating. We're not asking for much. But we better see it soon or we'll make some more examples. It only take a few. Things are starting to unravel and there's money to be made with all this confusion. That bitch Putin forgot why we have stars on our knees.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Radio coverage this morning referred to a heavy Vagner presence in Transnistria, possibly forming the basis for any move into Ukraine.

How would Wagner Group even get into Trasnistria now? The airspace is closed and it's landlocked. Hell, Moldovan airspace was even entirely closed until the end of March, and now it's only reopened for limited flights to Chisinau (E: looks like many more flights will resume in May and June). The land border with Moldova is probably still open, but a bunch of Wagner dudes would have to get into Moldova as tourists and then cross over into Transnistria. Certainly not impossible, and I'm sure there are a bunch of poorly secured border crossings that they could use to get to Moldova in the first place, but it sounds like it would be a challenge to get more than a few guys in that way – and as soon as the first Wagner "tourists" got caught by Moldovan border security, it'd ramp up border security a ton afterwards.

Actually I'm not even sure there would be all that many ways into Transnistria illegally, since there's a big river between it and Moldova, except for a small section near Bender that's on the right bank.

VVV: lmao, I loved that video of the amputee.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 26, 2022

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Saladman posted:

How would Wagner Group even get into Trasnistria now? The airspace is closed and it's landlocked. Hell, Moldovan airspace was even entirely closed until the end of March, and now it's only reopened for limited flights to Chisinau. The land border with Moldova is probably still open, but a bunch of Wagner dudes would have to get into Moldova as tourists and then cross over into Transnistria. Certainly not impossible, and I'm sure there are a bunch of poorly secured border crossings that they could use to get to Moldova in the first place, but it sounds like it would be a challenge to get more than a few guys in that way – and as soon as the first Wagner "tourists" got caught by Moldovan border security, it'd ramp up border security a ton afterwards.

They also have zero heavy equipment worth noting. It would screw up their efforts elsewhere, but Ukraine could mop up that front quickly.

It's all so stupid. Ukraine blew up the bridge on the main highway to Moldova on like week 2. This is almost as naked a false flag as the video of the amputee pretending a Ukrainian bomb blew his leg off or the inert training explosives found on train tracks.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's all so stupid. Ukraine blew up the bridge on the main highway to Moldova on like week 2. This is almost as naked a false flag as the video of the amputee pretending a Ukrainian bomb blew his leg off or the inert training explosives found on train tracks.

My guess is the ones having to put these bullshit propaganda stuff together want them to be known they are bullshit, for what ends can be up for debate.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

Never thought someone would ask for this picture I took on a walk around my neighborhood.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I think we've all heard the Russian claims that Ukraine is not negotiating in good faith and, in fact, has supposedly reneged on the preliminary agreements in Istanbul.

Well, Lavrov finally went into specifics and seems to claim that this "regression" is due to foreign pressure. In particular, he seems to blame Poland for keeping the idea of a NATO peacekeeping operation alive:

"Statements made by Polish authorities clearly indicate Warsaw’s intent to send its forces to Ukraine under NATO peacekeeping flags, Lavrov said.

"When shipping weapons and basically advertising their efforts in this area, all leaders state that sending NATO troops [to Ukraine] is not an option. Except for Poland, whose Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki proposed some peacekeeping operation in Ukraine, being clearly interested in sending its servicemen there under peacekeeping flags," Lavrov said."

(It's Tass so don't give them your clicks: https://tass.com/politics/1442975?utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google.com&utm_referrer=google.com )

I think this is revealing in a few ways:
If an anemic settlement like 2014 is reached Russia absolutely plans to be back for another bite at the apple. But they can't do that if, say, there's a thin red line of Polish peacekeepers in the way so they consider it horribly unsporting and unconstructive for Ukraine not to abandon the idea!
Which, of course, also suggests that for all their bluster and talk of WW3, it's clear that the idea of fighting a NATO country remains completely anathema to Russia.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Comstar posted:

Ukraine doesn't need more tanks - they have more than the Russians do. What they do need is protection from air and artillery strikes, and the drones that call them in. They need the NATO 155mm artillery, but that will take a few weeks to train up.

I doubt the Gepards will do much- by the time they are ready, and the troops trained to use them, Ukraine will have liberated back the land they lost.

err top of the page snipe! SO, when is the next ARMA game coming out for Ukraine 2022? I still have fond memories of Operation Flashpoint and it's expansions which was tailor made for this conflict. I hated ARMA III single player though sadly.

Arma 2's war in Chernarus has a lot of parallels with the war in Ukraine. Chernarus is a former Soviet country that borders Russia, has a big ethnic Russian population, and has a Russian-backed insurgency that is used as an excuse for direct Russian involvement. I just hope the real one doesn't go on for years, ending in direct American involvement and a nuclear exchange

edit: Also, while the Arma world has a bunch of made-up geography, like Chernarus being on the north side of a made-up body of water called the "Green Sea," it is in more or less the same place as Ukraine.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 26, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Is this sort of like the US bombing Cambodia and engaging in regime change shenanigans there because you want free rein to get at your enemy through another angle?

kinda though somehow dumber somehow or how japan started more wars to finish the war they started in china and the plans were either go north and gently caress with russia more OR gently caress around in the south and fight the various European powers and then punch the US and hope they run away and don't fight back so you can finally win in china. empires are loving dumb and rot brains lol.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1518951451938234369

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

PerilPastry posted:

I think we've all heard the Russian claims that Ukraine is not negotiating in good faith and, in fact, has supposedly reneged on the preliminary agreements in Istanbul.

Well, Lavrov finally went into specifics and seems to claim that this "regression" is due to foreign pressure. In particular, he seems to blame Poland for keeping the idea of a NATO peacekeeping operation alive:

"Statements made by Polish authorities clearly indicate Warsaw’s intent to send its forces to Ukraine under NATO peacekeeping flags, Lavrov said.

"When shipping weapons and basically advertising their efforts in this area, all leaders state that sending NATO troops [to Ukraine] is not an option. Except for Poland, whose Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki proposed some peacekeeping operation in Ukraine, being clearly interested in sending its servicemen there under peacekeeping flags," Lavrov said."

(It's Tass so don't give them your clicks: https://tass.com/politics/1442975?utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google.com&utm_referrer=google.com )

I think this is revealing in a few ways:
If an anemic settlement like 2014 is reached Russia absolutely plans to be back for another bite at the apple. But they can't do that if, say, there's a thin red line of Polish peacekeepers in the way so they consider it horribly unsporting and unconstructive for Ukraine not to abandon the idea!
Which, of course, also suggests that for all their bluster and talk of WW3, it's clear that the idea of fighting a NATO country remains completely anathema to Russia.

It is so unfair when the abuse victim not only fights back, but also gets help from somewhere else.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

They also have zero heavy equipment worth noting. It would screw up their efforts elsewhere, but Ukraine could mop up that front quickly.

If anyone is interested Oryx has some old articles that go over exactly what kind of heavy equipment is in Transnistria, including the stuff showcased at the May 9th victory day parade in 2020
https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2020/09/transnistria-shows-off-military.html?m=1

they even have their own domestic arms industry - article about a new design of MLRS introduced in 2018, also from Oryx
https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2018/09/a-forgotten-army-transnistria-unveils.html

quote:

It is the latter that has produced a number of very interesting designs that have entered service with Transnistria's armed forces over the past two decades. This industry was highly active during the Moldovan Civil War, producing a variety of DIY armoured fighting vehicles, multiple rocket launchers (MRLs) and other weaponry for use against the Moldovan Army. After the cessation of hostilities, the arms industry would play a vital role in upholding the operational status of the Transnistria's army, which has remained unable to replace its dated inventory of Soviet weaponry ever since its establishment in 1991.

One of these designs is a new multiple rocket launcher using the same 122mm rockets of the ubiquitous BM-21, yet radically different in its design. First seen in 2016 during the 'Commonwealth Warrior - 2016' army competitions, this MRL (referred to as 'Pribor-2' in this article for the plant which produced it but offically known as 'S2T' or '2ST') is a huge upgrade over Transnistria's previous homegrown MRL: referred to as 'Pribor-1' (S1T or 1ST) in this article. [1] Sporting the impressive number of 48 122mm tubes compared to the Pribor-1's 20 and BM-21's 40 tubes, the 'Pribor-2' is the latest addition to the Transnistrian Army after the unveilment of the locally converted BTRG-127 'Bumblebee' APCs.

So not completely toothless as a threat

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Djarum posted:

My guess is the ones having to put these bullshit propaganda stuff together want them to be known they are bullshit, for what ends can be up for debate.

It can be important to signal to your own team a false flag is indeed false so it doesn't get your security apparatus chasing its own tail. But normally you would do it in a less obvious way, for example pull exact details from a training scenario. This all just looks like pulling off your pants and saying you were robbed.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Djarum posted:

It's careerism, imo. The russian intelligence agencies are overvalued and stuffed to the gills with quasi-ambious yahoos under pressure be seen doing something, anything, especially now that the shooting has actually started.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BattleMaster posted:

Arma 2's war in Chernarus has a lot of parallels with the war in Ukraine. Chernarus is a former Soviet country that borders Russia, has a big ethnic Russian population, and has a Russian-backed insurgency that is used as an excuse for direct Russian involvement. I just hope the real one doesn't go on for years, ending in direct American involvement and a nuclear exchange

edit: Also, while the Arma world has a bunch of made-up geography, like Chernarus being on the north side of a made-up body of water called the "Green Sea," it is in more or less the same place as Ukraine.

Chernarus is based on some Czech national park geography (with an added sea coast obv). It's probably a good fit for Chernobyl-Kyiv region, not so representative of southern Ukraine's vast fields.

And then of course there's the DayZ mod based on this invasion :v:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 26, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Clashes in Rubizhne and Popasna of Luhansk region, Russian troops failing to advance

https://t.me/ukrinform_news/67039

Yesterday, Russian troops using a Su-24 aircraft, tanks, GRAD MLRS, howitzers, 120 mm mortars and large-caliber machine guns attacked following directions: Novodanylivka, Kamyanske, Pavlivka, Orikhiv, Novoandriyivka, Huliaipole, Charivne, Huliaipilske, Vremivka, Novosilka, Poltavka, Volne Pole, Zaliznychne, Uspenivka, Belogorye.

https://t.me/info_zp/6774

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nenonen posted:

Chernarus is based on some Czech national park geography (with an added sea coast obv). It's probably a good fit for Chernobyl-Kyiv region, not so representative of southern Ukraine's vast fields.

And then of course there's the DayZ mod based on this invasion :v:

Yeah Chernarus has an east coast instead of the steppe of south eastern Ukraine, so it isn't a 100% drop-in replacement.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 26, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

I have been beaten to posting about how Chernarus is to Ukraine as the Himalayas are to a couple hills.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FishMcCool posted:

I'd recommend focusing on a single player scenario where you play as Ukraine. That will make the brain-dead AI opponent pretty realistic.

The Russian player would have different victory conditions, like 'buy a mansion' or 'build a superyacht' in that pop up in the middle of the war.

Ukraine definitely played Homeworld with a heavy salvage corvette strategy.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

According to Oryx, they've captured 214 tanks so far. That's enough to equip five battalions IIRC.

I'd be a bit careful with Oryx's numbers--"captured" just means that the asset was photographed or videoed in what looks like useable condition in the presence of forces from the opposite side:

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1504472249939595268

But that doesn't necessarily mean that those forces have the ability to recover it--if it's out of gas, for example, those forces may not be able to fill it, or if it's stuck in the mud they may not be able to tow it out. Of course, they might also have captured some things that didn't appear on camera, too, but I don't think it's really possible to look at Oryx's numbers and say they have acquired 214 tanks from Russia. They have acquired some number, but the number is unknown, really. It's also somewhat unknown how many they've lost, since a lot of losses won't have appeared on camera.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah Chernarus has an east coast instead of the steppe of south eastern Ukraine, so it isn't a 100% drop-in replacement.

Probably more like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiXoG6Yl24E&t=3667s

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lock On had this area mapped out pretty decently

The difference of course is that you actually got to shoot the rashists down in your F-15 :(

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Or all of you could play the Battlefield 2 mod Point of Existence and pretend the Germans are Russians.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

US Secretary of Defense Austin held a press conference after the meeting of reps from 40 different countries regarding ongoing support for Ukraine. some comments good, and some that will likely provide Russia more grist for the grievance mill. Selections:
https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1518972983146070017?s=20&t=MfZ2e9p_G9tKmgu1rbKSoQ
https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1518971544927580160?s=20&t=VtfgdcJyHI9snJgroWVAvQ
And these fall under 'accurate but not helpful either'
https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1518972723275321344?s=20&t=VtfgdcJyHI9snJgroWVAvQ
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1518968095855030274?s=20&t=g5VPkXHHjawMQinXmZDPcA
All the above accounts have more coverage but not really any consolidated threads I can link.

Side notes
Russia maybe firing a warning shot using Poland
https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1518964998134972416?s=20&t=g5VPkXHHjawMQinXmZDPcA
Also this is heartbreaking :ohdear:
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1518972115885645826?s=20&t=g5VPkXHHjawMQinXmZDPcA

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/ianbateson/status/1518922309691756544?cxt=HHwWgMC-6eDypZQqAAAA

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

But I thought beheading the statue was just cloud talk?!

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I wonder if it's a reaction to Poland going beyond EU sanctions. I mean good on Poland, but it's a bit embarrassing for Germany and France that Poland is leading the EU on this.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1518902392925966336
https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1518874423373225984

https://www.thefirstnews.com/article/poland-puts-50-entities-on-russian-sanctions-list-29937

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

US Secretary of Defense Austin held a press conference after the meeting of reps from 40 different countries regarding ongoing support for Ukraine. some comments good, and some that will likely provide Russia more grist for the grievance mill. Selections:

Honestly, Austin seems to have dog poo poo message discipline. Framing this in terms of weakening Russia is short-sighted and just lends itself to the narrative in Russia and China that this isn't about Ukrainian sovereignty but America's wish for unipolarity. And Jesus, why reopen the can of worms about NATO membership? Just to have it as a bargaining chip?

Speaking of, has Stoltenberg weighed in on the current situation at all? He's been strangely absent for the last weeks I feel.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 26, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

My grandparents lost family members as recently as the early 80s from World War I UXO.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Heavy weapons may be a bit of a problem for Germany, heavy tractors, however...

quote:

Two cable winches with a pulling force up to 20 tonnes each enable loading and unloading of defective equipment. A self-recovery winch with a traction force of eight tonnes is mounted to the front of the vehicle. Designed for maximum mobility, the tractor-trailer system will also be able to operate for long distances in areas with poor infrastructure.

https://defence-blog.com/germany-to-supply-the-ukrainian-army-with-heavy-tank-transporter-vehicles/

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

KitConstantine posted:

US Secretary of Defense Austin held a press conference after the meeting of reps from 40 different countries regarding ongoing support for Ukraine. some comments good, and some that will likely provide Russia more grist for the grievance mill.

I'm not sure it actually matters what US representatives say, Russian propaganda will just make something up to be upset over - like the ever-changing justification for the war. Might as well tell truths Russia doesn't like if they're going to be upset either way.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Some agency probably had false flags planned out for the entire "Make Russia USSR Again" campaign and they're sticking to their timetable because that's what the orders were.

No backup plans or contingencies in case Ukraine resists, because the intel reports were clear this'd be a 3 day special operation. Give some time for public outcry to die down and move to the next target. Watch out for false flags around Finland in June!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PerilPastry posted:

Honestly, Austin seems to have dog poo poo message discipline. Framing this in terms of weakening Russia is short-sighted and just lends itself to the narrative in Russia and China that this isn't about Ukrainian sovereignty but America's wish for unipolarity. And Jesus, why reopen the can of worms about NATO membership? Just to have it as a bargaining chip?

Speaking of, has Stoltenberg weighed in on the current situation at all? He's been strangely absent for the last weeks I feel.

Nah, his message is correct and makes sense. It really doesn't make sense to avoid the reality that this is entirely about Russia, because Russia is the one carrying out these actions. And again: NATO Membership is in play because Ukraine WANTS it to be, and there is no peaceful negotiation with Russia where Ukraine would give that up without Russia taking Kyiv and forcing Zelenskyy to the table.

Gort posted:

I'm not sure it actually matters what US representatives say, Russian propaganda will just make something up to be upset over - like the ever-changing justification for the war. Might as well tell truths Russia doesn't like if they're going to be upset either way.

Basically this. Russia is already sending memos to US/EU states threatening them. Why does it matter what we say, they know what this is about, but at this point Russia has shot itself in the foot so many times with this 'special operation' that they reasonably cannot do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gort posted:

Yeah it's this. The West's endgame now is 'Russia never gets to do this again'. That, among other things, involves a permament change in foreign policy to stop enriching Putin's regime and stop selling it high end military tech.

e: and if Ukraine can end the war in a reasonably satisfactory state then NATO membership will absolutely be on the table.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 26, 2022