Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
theres a guy on Everlasting, which is already home to it's own Unique and Very Special population (like me), who is veteran level 13,000-something (13,859 last I looked, but it's got to be higher now.) just think of how many hamidon runs and itrials thats got to be, every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Every day I thank god for inventing meds that stop me from fixating on playing MMOs 20 hours a day.

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

Tabletops posted:

At least it’s not YouTube commenter

I wouldn't dream of limiting him to a single platform

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Seventh Arrow posted:

There are some strange people out there. There's a guy on HC Excelsior who makes characters named stuff like "Sitter? Why Not Work For It" or "Sitters? BWAHAHAHA". He will do mission groups right up to 50 and then roll a new character and start again. I decided to get in on one of his groups and he is very adamant that everything be done HIS WAY. Everyone has to go after the groups he does, absolutely no splitting up, etc., and he won't stop talking about how people should do content instead of farm. Takes all kinds, I guess.

The City of Heroes community has always had some pretty.... interesting people in it. Sometimes it's funny poo poo like this, other times it's people unironically insisting that the US should sever all relations with South Korea because NCSoft shut down their video game (which is still funny in its absurdity)

Still love the poo poo out of the game and the people I met there and am so glad it exists once more.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

One thing I love is that there's always something to do, at least on Excelsior. I've seen people getting radio missions full up at 2am on a Wednesday. I saw someone doing an all-scrapper TF in the middle of the week and it filled up instantly. There are task forces and trials for every level range, and I can also chill out and do solo stuff like get exploration badges or upgrade enhancements. Not all of the classes seem like they can easily solo, but it's easy to find people to do missions with.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

John Murdoch posted:

Unless I'm remembering totally wrong that AT does exist...just not on Homecoming. IIRC, the person in charge of hashing it out jumped ship to a different public server cluster or the work was abandoned and then picked back up by said server? No idea on any of the details beyond that though.

TBH, I feel like the idea that everyone can take care of themselves at endgame is a bit overblown. Granted, Destiny powers alone break things open a lot more, but I've always been wary of people who go to extremes and claim Force Field is bad because at level 50 everyone's already soft-capped. (And, y'know, not the more obvious and tangible reasons why FF is a mediocre set.)

Dark Miasma will literally never not be relevant though. It brings just about everything to the table you could ever hope for.

Nthing this. Like, obviously I’m a bit out of date but in my experience running Parhelion raids, like easily 40-50% of the people I brought along were not as badass as you or they thought they were. Buffs were making a difference. Buffers and debuffers are important and credit to team. They help us let the Robins feel like Batmans :911:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A perfect example to me, at least from back in the day, was the horrible shitfest that was Lambda Sector where during the equipment raid everyone would just mindlessly speed through it without giving a single thought to their teammates. Because a fully IO-kitted Incarnate Brute can shrug off raid-level Praetorian mobs, so everyone else can right? Right?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
tanks, blasters, scrappers, stalkers, dominators, controllers can all survive that phase without support just fine, at varying speeds, dom and controller won't be killing the objectives terribly fast, for a lot of builds, but can do it pretty safely if necessary. if you're not playing something sturdy or splatty enough to do that then you can follow any of those and help them :shrug: people in their post 50s really should understand how that works, at that point.
e: I have literally never been on a lambda raid where things were carefully coordinated during that phase, and also never been on one that failed

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Things are different nowadays because raid leaders have hyper-streamlined the process and most people still doing raids do it for a living, but I sure as poo poo would regularly see squishies get hung up on and killed en masse by a particularly bad mob of Seers and Warworks, usually one blocking a door, while the melees would be off speedrunning the objectives. Hell, even on a relatively optimized Brute I've bitten off more than I can chew and eaten poo poo to mobs in the warehouses before, so I'm not sure how squishier ATs are pulling it off without maximally disengaging from threats and using copious amounts of stealth. It's kind of an inevitability when mobs meant for 8+ people are bearing down on random pockets of 2-3 people instead. "If you can't handle it, jam your head up the rear end of someone who can" doesn't really work when those people are the ones zipping around at 100mph and are basically glorified soloing.

In fairness, this is more a point that Lambda is a shittily designed raid in a sea of shittily designed raids, but it's just what I think of when people try and insist that defensive buffs don't mean anything in endgame. (To say nothing of raid mobs' in-built gently caress you to-hit bonus that blatantly exists to indirectly nerf soft-cap builds.)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 8, 2022

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

:suspense:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lol hell yes

I'm so glad City of Heroes is alive

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

lol hell yes

I'm so glad City of Heroes is alive

the grognards somehow got more hardcore

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Y'know, even as a someone who was definitely an insufferable prick in their younger years about not liking farming/powerleveling and even now I still pointedly avoid it...yeah, no there's still no point at which I would ever go on a whole weird crusade about it or think XP boosters were too much of a good thing.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

I played with someone a couple times who had over 120 characters at 50 and maxed out. All they did was AE farm. They threw out over a billion credits in the two times I played with them to the sitters as they farmed. Very nice but super weird. They also always ran 2-3 characters multiboxxed minimum.

Claimed to be the biggest farmer on the server (excal) and I would not be surprised if they were.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tabletops posted:

I played with someone a couple times who had over 120 characters at 50 and maxed out. All they did was AE farm. They threw out over a billion credits in the two times I played with them to the sitters as they farmed. Very nice but super weird. They also always ran 2-3 characters multiboxxed minimum.

Claimed to be the biggest farmer on the server (excal) and I would not be surprised if they were.

Yeah, there's a nontrivial amount of people who farm for hours and hours... and hours... and hours.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gynovore posted:

Yeah, there's a nontrivial amount of people who farm for hours and hours... and hours... and hours.

I was that person back when I was 17 and so comically depressed that I wouldn't do much else.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I think my biggest problem with farming is that it's so hard for me to repeat the same thing over and over again. My mind craves the new or the forgotten (which these days is pretty easy to find) so endlessly repeating things would probably drive me nuts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I think my biggest problem with farming is that it's so hard for me to repeat the same thing over and over again. My mind craves the new or the forgotten (which these days is pretty easy to find) so endlessly repeating things would probably drive me nuts.

You gotta put on a movie or listen to podcasts or something.

The idea of doing farming and nothing else is insane.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I'll farm for an hour or so when I come home totally frazzled and want to do something absolutely mindless. I can't imagine someone rolling out of bed and going "oh boy, no appointments today! Eight full hours of farming, woo hoo!!!"

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 12, 2022

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I might have asked this before years ago but whatever, it's a slow thread anyway:

I only dabbled in CoH a few times during live. Always liked it, but never latched onto it for long enough to get more than a handful of levels and actually experience content.

I've been casually putzing around on Excelsior as a kind of bathrobe-and-slippers evening MMO to unwind a little bit. Hop on, grind out a couple casual missions and turn off my brain while listening to a podcast, log out.

Anyway, this has so far entirely been solo. Aside from some grouping up that I did way back when the news broke that CoH had, in fact, been preserved, I haven't really played with anyone else.

So if I just want to have a chill-rear end time with some people, zerg rushing my way through office buildings/warehouses/caves/sewers, and hanging out/soaking up XP, what exactly is it that I need to ask for in LFG? Is that what people mean by farm? My main is a level 19 illusion/radiation controller that I'd like to pump up a bit.

And is there an active goon supergroup on Excelsior?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Although I'm on Excelsior, I haven't seen a goon SG that I'm aware of.

A lot of the time you'll see people advertising radio missions, those can be fun, good xp, and you don't have a to hang around for a huge slog like with a task force.

Speaking of task forces though, you'll often see people advertising a lot for whatever task force is the weekly. At level 19, you're only eligible for the 2 Positron task forces and Synapse, but more will open up as you level. Here's a list:

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Task_Force

If you're really really desperate for something to do, you can join a Death from Below (DFB) run, but most characters outgrow that in their early teens.

Being a sitter in farm group is amazing xp, but is also phenomenally boring.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Drone posted:

I might have asked this before years ago but whatever, it's a slow thread anyway:

I only dabbled in CoH a few times during live. Always liked it, but never latched onto it for long enough to get more than a handful of levels and actually experience content.

I've been casually putzing around on Excelsior as a kind of bathrobe-and-slippers evening MMO to unwind a little bit. Hop on, grind out a couple casual missions and turn off my brain while listening to a podcast, log out.

Anyway, this has so far entirely been solo. Aside from some grouping up that I did way back when the news broke that CoH had, in fact, been preserved, I haven't really played with anyone else.

So if I just want to have a chill-rear end time with some people, zerg rushing my way through office buildings/warehouses/caves/sewers, and hanging out/soaking up XP, what exactly is it that I need to ask for in LFG? Is that what people mean by farm? My main is a level 19 illusion/radiation controller that I'd like to pump up a bit.

And is there an active goon supergroup on Excelsior?

do task forces when you have the time for like 10 missions (look each task force up to see how long it is before you commit - some of the higher level ones are beastly) and otherwise basically anything but farming will be in bite-sized chunks where you can dip in and out of a group pretty easily. farming isn't really playing the game, it's an exploit of the player mission design system that allows you to level alts quickly and make a lot of money.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Drone posted:

Just hop on the LFG channel. An ill/rad troller is good solo but great on teams, you should get plenty of invites.

All the low level task forces are nice and bite sized except for Synapse, that one is a slog.

EDIT: oh yeah I forgot the most important thing: don't powerlevel, at least not when you're just starting. Enjoy the low level game. CoH is perhaps the only MMO where the lower levels are at least as much fun as the max.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 12, 2022

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I really wish at 50 you could just set your effective level to whatever you felt like. 22-44 has so much fun content and I just want to play my IOed out 50s to do it without relying on the luck of a pub group conveniently being running and open when I want it, especially now when it's common to see nothing but farms and tfs in lfg chat but if you form a mission team it fills up in a heartbeat.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nonexistence posted:

I really wish at 50 you could just set your effective level to whatever you felt like. 22-44 has so much fun content and I just want to play my IOed out 50s to do it without relying on the luck of a pub group conveniently being running and open when I want it, especially now when it's common to see nothing but farms and tfs in lfg chat but if you form a mission team it fills up in a heartbeat.

...Ouroboros?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ouroboros has the problem of locking the team, it's OK but it could have been implemented a lot more casual than it is. e.g. just award merits per mission and allow people to join and leave as they please, or whatever.

you can also just join somebody else's mission team though!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I will sometimes post my humorous profiles on Reddit, like this:

Uh oh! I have my own stalker! (not the CoV kind)

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone suggest a good primary for an X/Psionic tanker?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Smashing Link posted:

Can anyone suggest a good primary for an X/Psionic tanker?

Good at what? If it's just being invulnerable, Invulnerability will do ya. Various enhancement power sets will augment your average defenses, while your overwhelming resistance will be good already.

If it's a theme thing, Willpower/Psionic feels like a good thematic link, and Willpower's a reliable set even before you start pouring billions into it. And Super Reflexes is a budget superstar without any expensive enhancements if you just take all the powers.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Mystic Mongol posted:

Good at what? If it's just being invulnerable, Invulnerability will do ya. Various enhancement power sets will augment your average defenses, while your overwhelming resistance will be good already.

If it's a theme thing, Willpower/Psionic feels like a good thematic link, and Willpower's a reliable set even before you start pouring billions into it. And Super Reflexes is a budget superstar without any expensive enhancements if you just take all the powers.

I was leaning toward Willpower so that's good to hear. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't crippled in some way.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Willpower is Regen done better. Its got decent defense vs elements, decent resist to physical, and ok against psionics. it doesnt really have any holes, and the regen harder if getting surrounded mechanic it has means you can have some absurd health per second just passively. You will wanna try and boost your base HP as much as possible, that will boost your regen per second, as passive regen is % based. But any green inspirations or other healing is based on your base HP, not your buffed HP, so they get weaker as you get closer to the HP cap.

Willpower's top end is a bit lower than Invulnerability, but for less investment, its better for general fire and forget as a set you just turn on and focus on your attacks and situation vs having to click 3-4 clickie buffs (perma DP, haste, assault paragon, that -end cost epic pool i cant remember) that i remember on my invuln tanks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WP/Psionic Melee eventually grew to be my chillest, best tank of all. For epic pool I took Force Mastery because it clashed the least with the Psi Melee powers, plus the cone does knockdown. You have a nice Tier 9 that you just never need to use except maybe on super far end poo poo like Lord Recluse.
NB: I made *a lot* of tanks, pretty much every defense set, and WP was pretty comfortably the best general purpose, it just doesn't have any downsides at all

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Also highly recommend taking Fold Space on every tank. It's just plain useful for your primary role, plus you get the big boy 150ft radius version.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Psi Melee is a set I waited years for and was then profoundly disappointed with. Really, really wish HC put some dev time into turning Insight into a real mechanic instead of the janky and unfinished thing we have now.

Am I missing something? Is there something that makes the set shine? I've never made it up to Mass Levitate but I've never gotten the impression that would turn the whole set around.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 25, 2022

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I had a psi/rad brute that was pretty good but i don't think it was particularly impressive.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

Psi Melee is a set I waited years for and was then profoundly disappointed with. Really, really wish HC put some dev time into turning Insight into a real mechanic instead of the janky and unfinished thing we have now.

Am I missing something? Is there something that makes the set shine? I've never made it up to Mass Levitate but I've never gotten the impression that would turn the whole set around.

Psi Melee is altogether very mediocre. Mass Levitate deals good DPS, but it has a weird mechanic where damage is dealt 1.5 seconds after the attack, meaning sometimes you'll fire the next attack at a mook who is already dead.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
it's supposed to be timed with the damage applying as they hit the ground and it sucks.
On a tank it's got a good AoE and does good damage but it's not that impressive overall.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's a phenomenal soft CC power that also does non trivial damage, alongside a reasonably good set of single target damage and a single target confuse that is funny to spam on bosses and AVs :) it's a fun and interesting set.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's a phenomenal soft CC power that also does non trivial damage, alongside a reasonably good set of single target damage and a single target confuse that is funny to spam on bosses and AVs :) it's a fun and interesting set.
E: honestly probably my favorite tanker melee set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I enjoyed my Psi/Shield stalker. Assassin Strike followed by Mass Levitate and Shield Charge is great fun.