Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man Struggle for Iberia looks fun.

Gonna solve it by creating Chrislam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I curious what the limits on sharing a Head of Faith will be. What's the point where the Pope stops recognizing you as part of his flock?

It will make playing Christian sects more fun, since you might be able to be connected to the Catholic behemoth and still have your own heresy.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Gonna solve everything by getting the Caliph elected pope.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
My heretic Roman Empire is already too connected to the Pope. Since I took over Rome he's just been a free-floating vassal who attends my parties and calls occasional crusades on me.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

global tetrahedron posted:

Very new to grand strategy, probably spent about 30-40 hours in CK3 so far and really enjoying it, it's starting to click more and I am becoming more open to making mistakes and treating the game as an emergent storytelling platform. I enjoy the diplomacy/intrigue stuff the most as i haven't wrapped my head around the actual mechanics of the warfare (some minor conquests of neighbors, but find myself chasing/being chased around the map too often. Plus, it's expensive).

Anyway, while focusing on murder/incest/blackmail plots I haven't experimented with strategically marrying my children yet and I feel I'm missing out on a large element of the intrigue focus. Partially I am wary of being tied up in alliances that demand too much of me, but also because i find it hard to wrap my head around the power dynamics of the houses and families around me. How can I gain more information about rivalries/schisms/opportunities near me to situate myself for the marriage-oriented long game? I've sent my spymaster to find secrets in nearby courts and while that can provide hooks, it doesn't garner much knowledge beyond that.

I'm imagining I want to dig in more on the characters involved when I get a notification like "neighbor X just lost their war against neighbor Y" as well as poke around for aging rulers and investigate the line of succession. Beyond that, any other tips? The game obviously recommends candidates for marriage, I could probably dig into why the engine believes they would be advantageous for my house. I'm also sensing that matrilineal marriages help you acquire titles, and marrying off sons helps you gain alliances. Am I off base? I feel I'm on the right track but the game presents so much information with so many different mechanics and playstyles I thought I'd ask in here. My goal right now is to marry a daughter off to someone 1st or 2nd in line for a count-level title, get them to have kids who stand to gain the title and strategically pick off folks to absorb their court into my duchy slowly.

CK warfare can be a bit tough to wrap your head around, both due to the actual intended mechanics of the system and the pitfalls of its design - basically, in CK3 you just need to build up your Men-at-Arms and pile up as many bonuses on them as you can (through the buildings in your domain), until you get to the point where you can get several thousands of MaA raised. When you reach that point, you'll rarely need levies again, which will be much kinder on your budget, and your forces will be able to body armies 2-3x their size (not to mention that smaller, higher-quality armies will suffer much less from lack of supplies).

Non-matrilineal marriages for your daughters usually don't have many benefits beyond the alliances (and the prestige gain, earlier in the game). Matrimarriages can help with titles (or claims), or can also be used to lure useful characters into your court (though for that purpose you'd be better off using the riff-raff from your court or distant relatives rather than your direct descendants). If you're not pressed for alliances or claims, you can marry with an eye for good congenital traits. For your heir, a combination of all would be best - remember that your wife can assist you, so I usually list the candidates by Sum of All Skills.

Schemes can often look rather limited until you stumble into the perfect scenario for them - abduct can be quite useful since you can then forcibly recruit characters with important claims, and if they're your courtier you can convert them and matri-marry them to your daughters. I did that with a distant cousin of the Holy Roman Emperor that I caught in a random siege of a scattered Crusader realm, and since he still had a claim on the HRE I managed to press his claim and win after a relatively easy war (what REALLY marks your targets as easy prey isn't when they're fighting several wars, but when they're broke) and I was set for a Roman Emperor belonging to my random Coptic african dynasty. Unfortunately, the gay chaste son-in-law I placed all my bets on had five daughters in a row before catching the plague, which was worthless in a male-only sucession. At the very least, landing a Copt on the HRE throne doomed central europe to decaes if not centuries of religious strife, so hey, small victories!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

global tetrahedron posted:

Anyway, while focusing on murder/incest/blackmail plots I haven't experimented with strategically marrying my children yet and I feel I'm missing out on a large element of the intrigue focus. Partially I am wary of being tied up in alliances that demand too much of me, but also because i find it hard to wrap my head around the power dynamics of the houses and families around me. How can I gain more information about rivalries/schisms/opportunities near me to situate myself for the marriage-oriented long game? I've sent my spymaster to find secrets in nearby courts and while that can provide hooks, it doesn't garner much knowledge beyond that.

For alliances, generally you want to ally with people who are your own size or larger, so that you don't enable any "small dog with a large bark" syndrome and get dragged into wars they'd never have declared without you. Larger allies won't notice your aid as much and will generally call you in for mostly defensive purposes. Venice is nearby and will almost always have a old bachelor for its ruler that you can sell your daughters off to for a ~3k ally.

Quick guide to inserting kin hostilely into another realm: It's generally a longer-term effort, so go find some very large kingdom/empire, and look at the succession (click on the title/shield itself) and try to marry into the 4th in line or such (keeping aware that the first in line might have kids and push your guy back). You'll never get a good marriage to someone who's first in line to literally any land, but if the person is 2nd in line for the county (and 4th for the empire) their liege won't care and will approve. Once they're in (and the succession is stable), you can go around digging for secrets in their court to get hooks to force people to join your murder plots to remove everyone ahead of your chosen pony. This might take a full decade, alternating between getting/fabbing hooks and then the eventual actual murder. The payoff for all this? Some guy becomes emperor while married matrilinially, and their kids will be your dynasty, and in a generation you'll get a legitimate emperor on the throne who'll spit out tons of reknown for you. Don't murder the pony you married to get your toddler dynast on the throne, that'll just get them deposed and the empire fractured. Hopefully this empire will eventually be your dynasty forever.

The general internal affairs of neighboring kingdoms isn't your business as the AI is terrible at everything and so trying to make sense of their politics is pointless. Generally a stable realm is one with a deep bank account and a lot of same-dynast heirs, that's not about to be eaten by a larger neighbor with a claim. If you have large stable neighbors, GOOD, leave them alone and go marry a useless kid in now and then for alliances while you expand elsewhere. If their realm is stable but you don't want it to be, go kill a few people until woman or child is on the throne, and then they'll go broke trying to stop uprisings until the realm eventually shatters.

Your own realm's expansion is mostly outside of intrigue stuff, with the exception of alliances/marriages. Unless you're a vassal, then murdering/seducing your way upwards is totally valid!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
my issue when I tried intrigue is that even if I get a murder plot to 80-90% chance of success it either never fires or the target becomes aware which drops the chances into nothing. I barely use it, I feel like it was a lot easier to get good ol intrigue done in CK2

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If one of your hooks is on the spymaster, being discovered won't help them at all. It's a flat -75% success chance (which is normally a lot), but if the target is unloved enough you can power through that and still have it fire 12 months later at 95% success/secrecy.

Like, actually fully-committed intrigue characters are unstoppable forces.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
And that's not to mention Dread, which is one of the most OP 'currencies' in the game. When I get a ruler that's not intrigue-challenged (increasingly rare as it seems being honest has become a family trait), I always beeline to the "forever infamous" perk or whatever it's called, which basically means your dread will never decay. Once you get there, you're a couple of war crimes away from never having to worry about factions or internal dissent as long as you live.

e: the act of actually building your dread all the way up to 100 can be time-consuming unless you get some helpful lifestyle events along the way, since you only get dread from executing or torturing characters with titles. But you always get dread from castrating or blinding prisoners :unsmigghh:

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 27, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Huh, what triggers the Mongol Empire to collapse? I just got the event but I know the ruler that died was at least the third.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
It might be having several strong heirs to divvy up the titles - the Khans in my game also lasted some 3-4 generations, but from what I recall the first few successors were the only male heir. By the time the event actually kicked, the empire had already all but broken up through non-scripted civil wars, though - one gave the actual big chungus empire title (Tartaria?) to a vassal and left the Khan with just "the Mongol Empire" (which doesn't have any de jure titles, I think) and a couple of counties. He still had a ton of vassals and some of his scripted horde of special units, but he was no longer a serious threat since the resulting bordergore kept him too busy at home.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I haven’t played in that part of the map yet, is it feasible to create a bigass web of alliances to resist the scripted advance, or is that a disorganized mess like a crusade and you have to conquer all your neighbors to do it yourself

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

To be clear there is no scripted advance. The Khan gets a lot of bonuses to make him a threat, but they're static, and he can absolutely be defeated by conventional means.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

In every game I've played the Khan also overextends himself with war declarations. Initially he'll only do 1 or 2 at a time until he has all the de jure land of the Mongolian empire. Once he's got all that, though, his AI gets too enthusiastic about wars and he winds up in 5 or more simultaneous offensive wars, often with war goals on opposite ends of his empire, and he's guaranteed to lose most of them to ticking warscore because the AI is just poo poo at wars. It doesn't take long for him to be in debt from paying reparations, which halts further expansion and also encourages his vassals to rebel. I have never seen the Mongols be a serious threat to anybody outside of the steppe.

Edit: also he's probably not as serious a threat because by the time he shows up, the player's realm is likely to have a significant tech advantage, and your MaA are going to hit harder than his. I don't know for certain, though, because he's never declared war on me, even when I had territory in Transoxiana. He's always fallen apart before reaching me.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 27, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To contrast the last thing thing the Mongol Empire did in my game was destroy the Byzantines after having already destroyed the...well, they weren't the Seljuks anymore, but it was Persia.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

It's wild to me how people can have such vastly different timelines in their games.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am hoping that this new "struggle" mechanic can be used more widely, in places like India and surrounding lands.

I just want a reason to play in that part of the world, as all too often everything about them feels very "samey" as the feudal system. I hope they are next on the list for area DLC.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I've definitely had the Mongols make it through Persia and almost to Jerusalem because in one game when I got there it had all just fallen apart and the whole middle east was a sea of independent counts and dukes (or the equivalent title at least). It made for some easy pickings as I rolled through and gobbled everyone up.

Current game just had the double whammy of my son dying and then me dying a year later, so the empire went to my 10 year old grandson. Had to grant independence to a bunch of vassals I had just vassalized like 5 years before dying, but I should be able to get them all back soon enough. Was able to white peace one faction and stopped the other independence faction. Executed a couple people so now I'm a dreaded teenager, the worst kind.

Playing as a kid always sucks because your ability to even sway people is cut off until you're a teenager, and bribing people is fairly useless because your stats suck. At least you get to decide your own traits without having to endure possible stress events.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nah being a kid rules, you pick your own traits and spam Meet Peers to boost your stats up.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
New dev diary on the Struggle mechanic: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/crusader-kings-3-dev-diary-94-anatomy-of-a-struggle.1522115
Maybe it will be fun but it doesn't seem very exciting to me at all from what they have shown so far. The idea behind "struggles" is good but the implementation seems really messy.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Nah being a kid rules, you pick your own traits and spam Meet Peers to boost your stats up.

Crap, I need to do meet peers. I haven't played as a kid much so I don't think I knew this existed. I was wondering how you boosted stats without a ward to help with that.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I like having objectives so I'm cautiously optimistic, particularly since I can think of one or two things I could use this for in a mod (depending on just how moddable it is--they make it sound pretty moddable but my one problem with parameters is a lot of the time they can cause potential conflicts, since a lot of parameters don't actually do anything, they mostly work as a binary yes/no that you can have other mechanics check for). In any case, I want to see how it plays before making too many judgments or assumptions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

Crap, I need to do meet peers. I haven't played as a kid much so I don't think I knew this existed. I was wondering how you boosted stats without a ward to help with that.

Yeah it's one of those decisions like Mystical Communion or Determine Personal Deity (which you only really need to do once but still) that inexplicably doesn't notify you that it can be done by default, making it absurdly easy for newer players to miss it entirely.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Serephina posted:

Your own realm's expansion is mostly outside of intrigue stuff, with the exception of alliances/marriages. Unless you're a vassal, then murdering/seducing your way upwards is totally valid!

Yeah, I am playing as vassal, a little more interesting to me.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Non-matrilineal marriages for your daughters usually don't have many benefits beyond the alliances (and the prestige gain, earlier in the game). Matrimarriages can help with titles (or claims), or can also be used to lure useful characters into your court (though for that purpose you'd be better off using the riff-raff from your court or distant relatives rather than your direct descendants). If you're not pressed for alliances or claims, you can marry with an eye for good congenital traits. For your heir, a combination of all would be best - remember that your wife can assist you, so I usually list the candidates by Sum of All Skills.

Good to remember that I can arrange marriages for random people in my court. Recruiting people with gold has drained my coffers too many times.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I think you can also invite them to your court free of charge if you're friends with them, lovers, have a hook on them or are head of their dynasty, so it's always worth a shot to browse the lesser members of your dynasty that aren't part of your realm if you're hurting for courtiers. Hell, they can be good marriage options if you wait for your dynasty to get large enough that you can find characters with your same last name who are too distantly related to run the risk of inbreeding.

I think Royal Court also adds mechanics that aid in recruiting courtiers, but they might not be available earlier in the game since they drain a lot of cash.

e: don't forget the option to forcefully recruit captives! I got a few good knights and commanders out of uppity peasants who rose up in arms against me. If they're of a different faith, remember to forcefully recruit THEN convert. Courtiers don't lose opinion of you when you force them to convert, and will automatically accept provided their net chance is positive (which should always be the case unless they're zealots).

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 27, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Having a weird game where the Byzantines are actually crushing it for a change. They've taken over southern Italy, most of Iberia, and southern France. They've also pushed east towards the Caspian Sea too. I don't think I've seen them do anything but be a punching bag in most of my games. I did the early start, so we haven't even started crusades yet, but I think they're going to fail if all of southern Europe is Othrodox instead of Catholic.

Pissed off that when I was a child, someone else was the head of my culture and they established a tradition. I have a ton of prestige, but it's just sitting there while I wait like 50 years before I can use it. I'll be long dead by then.

Edit: Also had a murder scheme that was 95% success and keep secret, get exposed within a year of me starting it. I don't know why I bother.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 28, 2022

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I tried playing with fewer factions for greater stability and overall it seems like a huge buff to the AI. In 950 AD I've got an AI Empire of Italy stretching halfway across Europe, a Kingdom of Germany, a Caliphate with nearly 20k troops, and a Byzantime empire that's expanded in nearly every direction, a stable Sweden, and a massive Mongolia. I like this a lot better tbh, probably gonna keep this as my default setting.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Was about to ask why I couldn't appoint my 13-year old vassal to the council who demands to be on the council, turns out it's because he is leading a faction against me. Kid, you could have just asked?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm pretty sure you can't appoint children to the council.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah appointing a faction leader to your council is usually a decent (if undesirable) way to defuse a faction

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't appoint children to the council.

Ah, yeah, this was it. UI sometimes throws me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

Having a weird game where the Byzantines are actually crushing it for a change. They've taken over southern Italy, most of Iberia, and southern France. They've also pushed east towards the Caspian Sea too. I don't think I've seen them do anything but be a punching bag in most of my games. I did the early start, so we haven't even started crusades yet, but I think they're going to fail if all of southern Europe is Othrodox instead of Catholic.

Pissed off that when I was a child, someone else was the head of my culture and they established a tradition. I have a ton of prestige, but it's just sitting there while I wait like 50 years before I can use it. I'll be long dead by then.

Edit: Also had a murder scheme that was 95% success and keep secret, get exposed within a year of me starting it. I don't know why I bother.

Yeah I wish they wouldn't put hard timers like that in the game. The game is chock full of exploits anyway, there's no need to stop you from spending your prestige while you got it.

FE: yeah Intrigue is dumb and bad, don't do it

SlothBear posted:

I tried playing with fewer factions for greater stability and overall it seems like a huge buff to the AI. In 950 AD I've got an AI Empire of Italy stretching halfway across Europe, a Kingdom of Germany, a Caliphate with nearly 20k troops, and a Byzantime empire that's expanded in nearly every direction, a stable Sweden, and a massive Mongolia. I like this a lot better tbh, probably gonna keep this as my default setting.

that's good to know, I'll start trying that out

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
loving hell, I really don't get partition splits, this is so frustrating. I hold 2 duchies and a kingdom title plus counties totaling 10 titles. My second son, heir-by-election, has gently caress all. My first son has three duchies plus counties totaling 10 titles. When I die, presumably this should lead to no counties being lost as they all go to my second son/heir with an even split between the two sons. Instead, the loving game will take my second duchy, again, and give it to my first son and have him get four total loving duchies while my heir apparent gets one duchy and the kingdom.

It's bullshit, none of this makes loving sense. I have nearly 200 hours in this game and the stupid partition logic is as inscrutable as ever apart from "your heir will always get hosed"

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I avoid elections for that reason unless I’m actively seeking chaos. Partition makes sense and there are ways to minimize it - namely handing off territory to the other kids to cut down on what they get from you and building up only your primary holding so that it gives your kid a huge leg up, but throw an election in there too? I have 700 hours in this game and I still can’t explain how elections interact with partition.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah post the succession screen. Partition is fine, it's elections that gently caress everything up, especially when you start mixing elective top level titles and elective duchies.

E: that first son is still your vassal right?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'd appreciate your advice, thank you: https://imgur.com/a/6XyKjMM

EDIT: Well, that's funny. I figured: if election was giving me issues, what if I brute-forced my capital duchy going to the wrong son by using election laws in that duchy? Lo and behold, it worked :v:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 29, 2022

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've found using election in duchy titles is usually pretty good as you can basically pick the heir while electoral kingdoms and empires can get very messy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Your primary being an elective I don't think is causing problems. The partition disregards that title, so it basically think you're a superduke when it comes to succession.

https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Succession N.B. that your second son is considered a junior heir, and will take only one handout before bowing out, which is why the oldest still gets a duchy despite having a few already. So basically it hands duchies out to to each child, which each kid getting everything underneath it. Which is what's being depicted, two duchies for two kids, so one each, plus the de jure counties underneath.

Removing the election on the kingdom suddenly puts it back into the partition, so your oldest gets the kingdom (and becomes your player heir), and he'll get your capital and all intermediary titles between it and the primary, so a county/duchy in this example. Second son will get what's left, which is only a duchy plus its de jure, which is what's happening now but without a kingdom to go with. So don't remove the election if you want to play as the second kid.

Assuming you want to cheat partition and hand everything to your second kid, I'd either disinherit the oldest (normally I'd never suggest this, but it's only one kid, so it's affordable), or go bananas with the elections and put a feudal elective on each duchy. Since you own all the counties underneath, you control all the votes and they go to your kid of choice. Partition will then try to split things up starting at the county level, BUT! If you have a throwaway lovely duke title you just conquered (or stole off of a vassal), the partition handout will give that away and you won't even lose any counties in said good duchies.

tl:dr It's actually working as intended, sorry!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So much for "equal split," smdh

I'm curious to see if removing election will end up with the elder son getting the single duchy + kingdom while the second gets everything else because gently caress me, but with the elder son already landed I can't really get a clean test of that. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Current game was a Count Eudus start in France and man that’s a bad place to start if you want to paint the map. Surrounded by other Catholics means just having to pick off counties one by one. I’ll probably just stick this one out for a little bit and try for a few decisions I haven’t gotten before.

Question though, is it possible to find out what kind of succession law someone else has? I think Byzantine currently has ultimogeniture, but not totally sure.