Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

We should build some soviet style housing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AnimeIsTrash posted:

We should build some soviet style housing.

in an era of airborne pandemics what we really need is to cram everyone together instead of using our gigantic landmass full of half abandoned towns that could be revitalized

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

OxMan posted:

Non coastal states are wild. I dont think I've ever seen a house that didnt cost more than 300k (and I'm talking a normal rear end house not some trashed shack you have to demolish and rebuild over) , even as a kid in the late 90s i remember when my moms friends (all electricians, which i used to think of as soooo rich) were buying houses that was the going price. That there were states out there with houses actually buyable by people working regular rear end jobs in a post 9/11 world blows my mind.

when i was a kid even into the late 90s in my part of maine you could work at the local factory and earn enough off your single income to do the house/2 cars/2 kids thing and your wife didnt need to work

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mastershakeman posted:

in an era of airborne pandemics what we really need is to cram everyone together instead of using our gigantic landmass full of half abandoned towns that could be revitalized

You can only do one or the other.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mastershakeman posted:

youll be shocked to find out which place did the best at managing covid

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fart simpson posted:

youll be shocked to find out which place did the best at managing covid

the former soviet union did quite poorly

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mastershakeman posted:

the former soviet union did quite poorly

dumbass

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I wouldn't call it a resounding success either

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

actionjackson posted:

I wouldn't call it a resounding success either

dumbass #2

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/slavomir_YU/status/1518303093762502658

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

turn on your monitor

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

oh hey so y’all know pretty sure Redfin is using data from their mortgage calculator to inform their estimated sales price for listings.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

How the hell is weed illegal in most of the Midwest? It's loving depressing rust belt all over. Most cities have steadily lost population for decades until recently. You need weed to stand that poo poo.

cops need it to harass minorities

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

fart simpson posted:

when i was a kid even into the late 90s in my part of maine you could work at the local factory and earn enough off your single income to do the house/2 cars/2 kids thing and your wife didnt need to work

Dang. Thats crazy. I'm in my 30s and I've never known houses to be affordable to anyone that makes under, say 35-40/hr or its salary equivalent. In CA for example, the only people i ever knew that bought houses on low wages would be married couples that would get a trash shack out 60 miles out of the city and then grind out commutes in a 90s toyota till the wheels fall off.
Then i moved to seattle and poo poo lot of y'all here know what that's like around WA, Puget Sound is just Bay Area mk. 2 down to the stone. If you're not computer touching petit bougies, you're a poor retail or service/driver/security/clerical/other min wage dipshit like me getting a raise every year and still can't pay the rent without a roommate, the idea of owning a home is just like, laughable. Most of my current circle in WA has now resigned to never being able to own a home. In california, we all grew up knowing it.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
but have you considered how difficult it is to hang pictures in your newly remodeled kitchen? suddenly owning doesn’t sound so great, does it?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

OxMan posted:

Dang. Thats crazy. I'm in my 30s and I've never known houses to be affordable to anyone that makes under, say 35-40/hr or its salary equivalent. In CA for example, the only people i ever knew that bought houses on low wages would be married couples that would get a trash shack out 60 miles out of the city and then grind out commutes in a 90s toyota till the wheels fall off.
Then i moved to seattle and poo poo lot of y'all here know what that's like around WA, Puget Sound is just Bay Area mk. 2 down to the stone. If you're not computer touching petit bougies, you're a poor retail or service/driver/security/clerical/other min wage dipshit like me getting a raise every year and still can't pay the rent without a roommate, the idea of owning a home is just like, laughable. Most of my current circle in WA has now resigned to never being able to own a home. In california, we all grew up knowing it.

My old manager was trying to buy a home in maple valley and competing with people that could pay half the price as a down payment. Lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

OxMan posted:

If you're not computer touching petit bougies,

this always makes me lol

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
it really just sucks. I’m apartment hunting right now and deciding if I should (a) find the cheapest thing possible so I can save money to potentially be competitive in bidding but also probably be miserable because lovely apartments suck or (b) find something nice and just YOLO and not save and live a happier life in the meantime.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this always makes me lol

Look, it's all relative, but I've definitely seen big tech workers leverage their wages into becoming landlords in CA but especially in WA.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
look at this class traitor who works all day sitting in a chair

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm safe, i use a standing desk

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

by all means take my head when the revolution comes, just give me the courtesy of watching all the billionaire heads roll first

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i mean tech workers are pretty anti union so yeah they are kind of class traitors

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Whoa dudes I'm sorry y'all so thin skinned about the amount of money you earn from your jobs i guess, poo poo. Is it in bad taste to point out if you make house buying money you're in a different social class? Cause i thought acceptance of that was kind of how solidarity worked or whatever but I'll admit i only spend hours reading so if my take from the poors side isn't welcome then I'll just go back to using this forum as a beacon of sanity i never interact with.

Can't post in the covid thread either cause if they knew how the poor immunocompromised have been dealing through the pandemic without E L A S T O M E R I C S they'd have a fit and accuse us of trying to kill them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this always makes me lol

some of my friends that sell software make 20x what i do, with >50% of that income coming from investments. what's the proper terminology

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OxMan posted:

Can't post in the covid thread either cause if they knew how the poor immunocompromised have been dealing through the pandemic without E L A S T O M E R I C S they'd have a fit and accuse us of trying to kill them.

lmao everyone in that thread should be forced to work in a hotel for a month

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

They'd be lovely coworkers, no thank you.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Casey Finnigan posted:

i mean tech workers are pretty anti union so yeah they are kind of class traitors

im a computer toucher chair sitter with a union and bennies

s'cool would recommend

still never owning a house until the in-laws pass it on, and there's a good chance it'll have burned down by then lol

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

i say swears online posted:

lmao everyone in that thread should be forced to work in a hotel for a month

Yeah, but they're not wrong either. They absolutely can and should take those precautions because they can, they'd be saints in my book if they didn't look down on those that can't as hard as those that don't.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

i say swears online posted:

some of my friends that sell software make 20x what i do, with >50% of that income coming from investments. what's the proper terminology

well first off probably not calling them workers lol

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I think there is plenty of room in the thread for tech workers who bought a house for themselves and normal people to hate on class traitors and aspirational landlords together.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

CongoJack posted:

I think there is plenty of room in the thread for tech workers who bought a house for themselves and normal people to hate on class traitors and aspirational landlords together.

I don't think anyone said there isn't, it's just people getting mad about terminology. Like, if you CAN purchase a house, do you have the potential to be petit bougie and thus in that social class? I'd say yes, maybe someone disagrees.

Do you call someone who has half their already considerable income coming from the loving Number a worker? Lmfao, no.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

CongoJack posted:

...for me to poop on!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'd be curious how many people in the covid thread work as computer touchers.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

OxMan posted:

Whoa dudes I'm sorry y'all so thin skinned about the amount of money you earn from your jobs i guess, poo poo. Is it in bad taste to point out if you make house buying money you're in a different social class?

it just makes you sound dumb about class

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

relative poverty does not confer nobility, and class is not relative.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

OxMan posted:

Whoa dudes I'm sorry y'all so thin skinned about the amount of money you earn from your jobs i guess, poo poo. Is it in bad taste to point out if you make house buying money you're in a different social class? Cause i thought acceptance of that was kind of how solidarity worked or whatever but I'll admit i only spend hours reading so if my take from the poors side isn't welcome then I'll just go back to using this forum as a beacon of sanity i never interact with.

The working class earns through their own labor, the capitalist class earns money through capital. If someone is a landlord, they are capitalist. If their paycheck is contingent on them trading their time and effort touching computers, they are workers. Dumb poo poo like this harms class solidarity, and is exactly what capitalists want.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

OxMan posted:

Non coastal states are wild. I dont think I've ever seen a house that didnt cost more than 300k (and I'm talking a normal rear end house not some trashed shack you have to demolish and rebuild over) , even as a kid in the late 90s i remember when my moms friends (all electricians, which i used to think of as soooo rich) were buying houses that was the going price. That there were states out there with houses actually buyable by people working regular rear end jobs in a post 9/11 world blows my mind.
don't get me wrong the $500 house (more realistically $3-5K) we're definitely run down shacks. I know some broad who built a tiny home in the backyard and only uses the house for laundry.

These things are like $20-40K now

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

OxMan posted:

you shouldn’t post in any thread

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

cat botherer posted:

The working class earns through their own labor, the capitalist class earns money through capital. If someone is a landlord, they are capitalist. If their paycheck is contingent on them trading their time and effort touching computers, they are workers. Dumb poo poo like this harms class solidarity, and is exactly what capitalists want.

I'ma say this: you're right, and I'm sorry. I don't often interact with people that have done their homework irl, right, so when I'm trying to explain poo poo to people that would never download a pdf of marx, most people don't read a difference between being a computer toucher or a landlord as where they get their income. A lot of them will even say, oh, they have the money to do that but won't? They're loving stupid!" IRL class difference is based on what you have and what you do. Do you drive a nice car ignoring the homeless dude hopping on the freeway in your Tesla? That dude don't give a poo poo if your income comes from the stock market or if you slaved over a hot server, you're in a different social class. You have and you lord over. Again, not saying you're wrong, just explaining where my kneejerk comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i dont think people were meant to live crammed in vertical multiunit housing like an ant farm but i also think car culture encouraging megaburbs are bad