Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

imma continue to use this thread for discussion of eastern "europe" for lack of a central asia thread

> In July, the president’s office announced plans to build a city called Asman – Persian for “highest heaven” – in Japarov’s native Issyk-Kul region. As conceived by architects, this city would sprawl over 4,000 hectares in the shape of a komuz, a string instrument commonly used in Central Asian folk music, house 700,000 people and serve as a model of environmental harmony.

how can you look at astana and think, hmm, yes, this is a good and cool ci--oh right, it's japarov

I hope the city features a 100-metre tall golden dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

> In July, the president’s office announced plans to build a city called Asman – Persian for “highest heaven” – in Japarov’s native Issyk-Kul region. As conceived by architects, this city would sprawl over 4,000 hectares in the shape of a komuz, a string instrument commonly used in Central Asian folk music, house 700,000 people and serve as a model of environmental harmony.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

The_Franz posted:

Looks like Svoboda (center-left/green/pro-eu) came out ahead in Slovenia. They still have to form a coalition, but it seems that Janša will be relegated to the sidelines at least.

Calling them Center-Left is a bit optimistic but eh anything is better than the egghead (no wait NSi and Resni.ca are worse).

Shame that the pirates didn't get any further, I loved their more grounded manifesto.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I already posted this in the Ukraine thread, but I suppose Croatia is not in Ukraine so crossposting:

quote:

Croatian President threatens to block Finland, Sweden joining Nato unless Bosnian electoral law is reformed

Any potential application from Finland to join Nato must be ratified by all 30 member states, but Croatia's Parliament — not the President — will make that decision.

Croatian President Zoran Milanović has called on his country's parliament to vote against Finland and Sweden joining Nato, Croatian television has reported.

If the two Nordic nations decide to apply for membership of the alliance, their applications must be ratified by all 30 current member states. Croatia has been a member of Nato since 2009.

Milanović stated that Croatia's approval of any potential Finnish and Swedish application could be dependent on the reform of Bosnia and Herzegovina's electoral law.

In a complicated political system created after the end of war in 1995, Bosnia and Herzegovina is made up of two main administrative units that represent the three main ethnic groups — the Serb-dominated entity of Republika Srpska and the Bosniak-Croat majority Federation of BiH.

The country’s largest Croatian party, the HDZ, has demanded reforms that would give Bosnia's Croatians more power — calls that have been backed by Milanović and the Croatian government.

In an interview with Index.hr, Milanović stated that "the Croatian parliament must not ratify any country's Nato membership until Bosnia and Herzegovina's electoral law has been amended".

He added however that the decision on Finland or Sweden joining Nato is not in his hands, as it will be made by the Croatian Parliament.

He also said he regrets the fact that Croatia has to interfere with the Nato application of a country "as exemplary as Finland".

https://yle.fi/news/3-12418999

:dumbbravo:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What the gently caress, is he completely cooked?

Edit: I guess that’s one way how to try to not get left behind by Russia’s blunders so far, become the country that vetos this round of NATO membership applications. Ideally causing a war in Balkans.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 26, 2022

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What the gently caress, is he complete cooked?

Edit: I guess that’s one way how to try to not get left behind by Russia’s blunders so far, become the country that vetos this round of NATO membership applications. Ideally causing a war in Balkans.

He has no veto power or anything of the kind, it's up to parliament. But yes, he is a complete loving idiot that's snorting heroic amounts of cocaine daily and has a need to always be in the center of attention. I hate Trump comparisons, but if the shoe fits...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gervasius posted:

He has no veto power or anything of the kind, it's up to parliament. But yes, he is a complete loving idiot that's snorting heroic amounts of cocaine daily and has a need to always be in the center of attention. I hate Trump comparisons, but if the shoe fits...

Ah, I see. Thank you for clarification!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
He's an unhinged moron and amazingly the most popular politician in Croatia, judging by recent polling.

BTW the Bosnian law that he's talking about probably would benefit from changing, but it's not in the domain of the president of Croatia, and even less a matter that should be tied to NATO membership of yet other countries, on the other side of the continent.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Croatia won't accept Swedish NATO membership unless the Albanian president publically admits that the Croatian president's garden gnome collection is "the bestest he's ever seen" and "much more dignified than any garden gnome collection in Albania or Kosovo", verbatim.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am a bit weirded out by sudden flux of praise of Belarusians by Ukraine. Either we really done a good job by railway sabotage or trying to undo the damage of Zelensky speech back in march. It honestly felt kind of crappy how he adressed Belarusian citizens as traitors to UA-BY brotherhood while being the only non russian president in the neighbourhood who refused to meet Tikhanovskaya and only stopped trading with belarus regime like 1 week after the war started.

Anyway Arestovich said that Kalinovsky batallion are some sort of gods on the battlefield and bloggers saying "while russians post comments complaining how impossible it is to fight the regime belarusians just do (burn relay boxes)"

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Weeks before in the Feygin-Arestovych daily briefs he was saying that if the cockroach forces the Belarusian forces to invade he expects them to largely give up and join the Ukrainian forces

Probably genuinely thankful for the sabotage and also creating good vibes between the people now that the Kyiv direction is emptying out to reinforce the Donbas? Pretty out there but if they're trying to activate the alco-troops in Transnistria Attempts to draw in Belarus might still be going on

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Belarus just approved death penalty for attempts at terrorism which now includes rail sabotage

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sekenr posted:

I am a bit weirded out by sudden flux of praise of Belarusians by Ukraine. Either we really done a good job by railway sabotage or trying to undo the damage of Zelensky speech back in march. It honestly felt kind of crappy how he adressed Belarusian citizens as traitors to UA-BY brotherhood while being the only non russian president in the neighbourhood who refused to meet Tikhanovskaya and only stopped trading with belarus regime like 1 week after the war started.

Anyway Arestovich said that Kalinovsky batallion are some sort of gods on the battlefield and bloggers saying "while russians post comments complaining how impossible it is to fight the regime belarusians just do (burn relay boxes)"

Yall did really good with the railway sabotage and the belarusian army clearly has not given a single gently caress about actually getting involved to help Russia

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sekenr posted:

Belarus just approved death penalty for attempts at terrorism which now includes rail sabotage

It's still just a bill, but there is a good chance it may become a law.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Paladinus posted:

It's still just a bill, but there is a good chance it may become a law.

Lukashenko's government was already shooting people caught sabotaging railways in the knees, plus whatever else they were doing to them after, so idk how much of a difference that being an actual law will make.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I'm going to Riga tomorrow for a week (Erasmus programme, visiting an art school of some sorts). What's there to do and/or see there? Any good record shops?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

I'm going to Riga tomorrow for a week (Erasmus programme, visiting an art school of some sorts). What's there to do and/or see there? Any good record shops?

I’m sorry to hear that inflicted on you. As far as food goes, I would recommend 2 places for the “taste of Latvia”

1) Folkklubs Ala on Peldu 19 - a pub with actually good food (I suggest grey peas with bacon there, since they do them really well and it’s literally the only dish that is historically Latvian with no caveats)

2) (Optional) LIDO on Krasta 76 - a very popular diner with “Europeanised” versions of Baltic/Soviet classics

I can give you a lot more specific food recommendations if you’re curious about that kind of stuff, just ask.

For beers specifically, go to Labietis on Aristida Briāna 2. It’s a craft brewery, and we’ve been pretty good at this whole beer thing historically. Ala is good for beers too, but the selection there is going to be much more limited and generic (you can get 1-2 different Labietis beers there too usually though, if you want to combine the two). Can always just ask for Valmiermuiža anywhere, that’s the current year safe default on local stuff.

Record stores I can’t say I’m a frequent visitor of. Checking around, it seems that Randoms on Vaļņu 18 is the largest in the country, if not in the Baltics. There seems to be another one close by, Upe on Vaļņu 26.

If you have any other questions about Riga, you’re welcome to post or PM them.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 1, 2022

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

Do you like craft beer and churches? Cause boy do we have craft beer and churches for you! Echoing cinci zoo sniper's suggestions, Alķīmiķis on Lāčplēša 12 is also a good place for beer and a bit closer to the city center.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Thanks a lot! I'm from Białystok so it's only a few hours drive.

What you guys have is a Sparks gig next Friday so I'll be attending that. Hanzas Perons, seems not that far from my hotel.

Speaking of which, what's the best option for public transport? Can I get a week ticket or something? And what are the mask requirements in Latvia?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
You can get a 5 day ticket for 15 eur or a load up on single use tickets for eur 1.15 per ride from most shops or gas stations. Those can be used for everything within Riga except trains and the weird microbus things. Still need masks on public transport but nowhere else afaik

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 30, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arzachel posted:

You can get a 5 day ticket for 15 eur or a load up on single use tickets for eur 1.15 per ride from most shops or gas stations. Those can be used for everything within Riga except trains and the weird microbus things. Still need masks on public transport but nowhere else afaik

To expand, definitely don’t use shuttles (microbuses as we call them), and download “Bolt” application for transport backup, that’s the local Uber-like.

Masks are mandatory in public transport (excl. cabs, to be clear) and medical institutions. Only surgical masks and FFP2 respirators(valve-less) are accepted. Other venues, like your concert, have the right to request mask usage, but I’ve yet to see any place actually asking that without being required to.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 1, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Yesterday the polish-lithuanian gas pipeline opened up further integrating the Baltics and that hermit alcoholic up north into the European energy infrastructure

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Somaen posted:

Yesterday the polish-lithuanian gas pipeline opened up further integrating the Baltics and that hermit alcoholic up north into the European energy infrastructure

København isn't that far north and I can stop drinking whenever I want

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Rust Martialis posted:

København isn't that far north and I can stop drinking whenever I want

Wrong pipe, the one through you opens up later this year I think. Uniting us all in semicircle of natural gas and alcohol problems

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Somaen posted:

Wrong pipe, the one through you opens up later this year I think. Uniting us all in semicircle of natural gas and alcohol problems

Eastern Europe - It's the circle semicircle of life alcohol problems.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/ltvzinas/status/1520812794483929088

Our NIMBYs are mobilising against an LNG terminal.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 3, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Somaen posted:

We don't really need it, we have alcohol.

But obviously we'd rather avoid burning it.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

To the coming to Riga person,

Best restaurants (fancy) Dom.

Best Bars, Thirsty Bulldog (Best wings in Latvia... not a high bar though. Beautiful inside), Distillers Republic (makes the best house rum in the world, 55%), and the Armoury Bar. All three bars are about 30meters apart.

Best restaurant (not too fancy) Peter Gailis.

Folk is good, but I think they changed the chef recently or something because the food most certainly has stepped down.

Message me and I'll show ya around!

Hizawk fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 3, 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://eurasianet.org/uzbekistan-denies-russian-claim-it-violated-afghanistans-airspace

> The denial followed a report by Russia’s Sputnik news agency which suggested that drones spotted flying over the northern Afghan city of Mazar-i-Sharif, 80 kilometers from the border with Uzbekistan, were Uzbek-manufactured.

in "who cares who's violating Afghan airspace" news, "yes we cares" by Sputnik, in Russia's efforts to see who they can piss off further in their remaining cohort of lukewarm nominal allies

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hizawk posted:

Folk is good, but I think they changed the chef recently or something because the food most certainly has stepped down.

drat, that sucks to hear. I haven’t been there myself in a while. I hope the new chef doesn’t figure out a way to gently caress up the snacks plate.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/ltvzinas/status/1520812794483929088

Our NIMBYs are mobilising against an LNG terminal.

Deport them to Russia!

My town protested against a LNG terminal too https://www.gem.wiki/Zaule_LNG_Terminal

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

Deport them to Russia!

My town protested against a LNG terminal too https://www.gem.wiki/Zaule_LNG_Terminal

Our greens and agrarians are the same party, and they only care about property values of rich Latvian-speaking rural landlords. Therefore it is Latvian Greens, for instance, who are the primary instigators behind forever wars against wind energy, and now this as well. Obviously they have reasons to not like gas, but that’s really not what is happening here.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Shushkevich is dead. he never did find that lost original copy of the Belavezha accords, rip

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1521734003795144704

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Priecīgu Neatkarības atjaunošanas dienu!

E: Saw good photo.

https://twitter.com/ruffphilip/status/1521643950364364810

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 4, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/Kazakhstan/status/1521884877234348035

Ulytau has big long massachusetts energy; they also cant seem to agree on its shape

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/short_news/controversial-polish-minister-could-face-no-confidence-vote/

How likely is Ziobro eating poo poo?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Approaching zero

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Approaching zero

Poland more like Pooland. :smith: Thanks.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Which is fitting, since he was nicknamed Zero like 18 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Poland more like Pooland. :smith: Thanks.

As it is now ruled by the Law and justice party instead of the civic platform should it not be Pissland instead?