Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Mister Speaker posted:

He's a wicked good actor but I can never forgive him for his terrible performance as Luca in Peaky Blinders. He's like a cartoon character. Ordinarily I'm all for stereotyping and demeaning Italians, but that poo poo was offensive to me.

Listen, pal, Adrien Brody would never give a performance that was a demeaning stereotype.

https://twitter.com/snlhostsintro/status/1446252923898327152?t=Cmr4hAblphe9JL-eHIXL-w&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
omg :lol:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Best line of Predators is Adrien Brody growling “That’s right, MUD” at the predator

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The backwards car chase scene from Tenet but with Xeno’s jumping between cars.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Hear you scream? In space? C'mooooonnnnn

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Car chase scenes are cool and good, and both the Alien AND Predator series need more of them :colbert:

Mad Max, but with added Xenos.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Hear you scream? In space? C'mooooonnnnn

:hmmyes: lmao

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nuts and Gum posted:

I hope he gets a full time gig working for movie studios helping the prop dept stay under budget

That man is one of the great creative geniuses of our time.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Giving Isolation another playthrough. For the first time, I find the graphics to be slightly dated - but only in the sense that there's a tiny bit of aliasing or aberration around vent textures and other closely-placed lines - there's a term for this that I can't remember, but it's present on my 4K TV to a degree that does bug me a tiny bit.

Fantastic otherwise though. Atmosphere, soundtrack, voice acting, all top-notch. I don't know what changed from the last time I played (maybe it's that I'm medicated now) but the little jump scares and orchestra/waterphone hits are more impactful than I'd expected from a game I've beaten three times. When you disable the security lockdown and the xenomorph officially becomes 'in play', I watched it kill those two scavengers and then immediately turned off the game.

A:I is the only horror game I've played where I had to take breaks to chill out. I am aware that there's a VR version, and I can't imagine how terrifying the experience would be.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rascar Capac posted:

Listen, pal, Adrien Brody would never give a performance that was a demeaning stereotype.

https://twitter.com/snlhostsintro/status/1446252923898327152?t=Cmr4hAblphe9JL-eHIXL-w&s=19

you can see the moment where he dies

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

https://i.imgur.com/0VQnYoC.mp4

Billy Ray Blowjob fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 23, 2022

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The Zombie Guy posted:

A:I is the only horror game I've played where I had to take breaks to chill out. I am aware that there's a VR version, and I can't imagine how terrifying the experience would be.

Oh man I gotta try that, do you have a link?

I'm not gonna be able to sleep for a while.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

edogawa rando posted:

Mad Max, but with added Xenos.
The mad max films are definitely part of the 10%

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
If any of you folks fit in the center of the venn diagram that is aliens and comic books, there is an excellent Dark Horse 4-issue limited series called "Aliens: Dead Orbit." It's about some aliens on a space station.

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 23, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The first half of Dead Orbit sucked, the second half is alright. You can do a lot better if you want Aliens comics. I’ll just post my Amazon review:

quote:

It's safe to say this isn't my favorite Aliens comic ever written.

My single biggest gripe with it is how hard the author runs the onomatopoeia "HGK!" into the ground. It shows up so many times (108 times, I ended up counting) that it's downright distracting. Thankfully it's all in the first half of the comic, and I don't think it's a coincidence that I liked the second half a lot more than the first.

The artwork is detailed, but almost excessively so - a lot of it feels too "busy", with details for details' sake. I'm also not a big fan of how Stokoe draws character faces; it reminds me of the band Gorillaz, and not in a good way.

The action in the second half is pretty cool and the way the Aliens get dealt with is pretty novel, but the first half alternates between forgettable and annoying. You can do worse with Aliens comic, but you can also do a hell of a lot better.

If you want a good Aliens comic, read Labyrinth. Or hell, if you want something contemporaneous to Dead Orbit, read Dust to Dust.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

If any of you folks fit in the center of the venn diagram that is aliens and comic books, there is an excellent Dark Horse 4-issue limited series called "Aliens: Dead Orbit." It's about some aliens on a space station.

Hell yeah, James Stokoe’s art is so good in that series. I’m glad I picked up the single issues when it came out.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I like the panel with the chestbursters talking to each other because in my mind, they sound like Beavis & Butthead. "Whoa, cool! We're alive!"

Rascar Capac posted:

Adrien Brody SNL performance

Holy smokes I totally forgot about this, lmaoooo.

sweet hat

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Imagine doing all of this fabrication work only to have some nerd (not me, some other nerd) point out how the trigger/pull lever is axially rotated 180° and functionally unusable. Dogshit 0/10 would not rooooock

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's a solid effort, but I wish they'd gone and removed the pistol grip or done something to conceal it. I know chopping up an airsoft gun is probably a lot harder than bolting parts to it, though (plus IIRC the motor is usually in the pistol grip so that'd make it non-functional). I always figured the most difficult part of building a cosplay smartgun rig is the Steadicam harness - you either have to fabricate a facsimile of one, or shell out a lot of money for the real thing - and don't they cost like tens of thousands of dollars?

This reminds me of a question I've always wondered about : In Aliens, when Apone goes around and collects everyone's ammunition, Drake and Vasquez remove and hand over something that looks like a battery, connected to two cables on their guns. They then surreptitiously produce backups and clip them back into the cables. Are we to believe these tiny boxes are the 'magazines' for the M56? Or IS it some sort of battery that the gun requires to function? We see them rack the bolts on their guns at one point and the bolt travel seems to suggest there's a normal-sized round being chambered - and the MG42 drum magazine is clearly visible on the guns.

I wish I could find my copy of the USCM Technical Manual.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

It's a solid effort, but I wish they'd gone and removed the pistol grip or done something to conceal it. I know chopping up an airsoft gun is probably a lot harder than bolting parts to it, though (plus IIRC the motor is usually in the pistol grip so that'd make it non-functional). I always figured the most difficult part of building a cosplay smartgun rig is the Steadicam harness - you either have to fabricate a facsimile of one, or shell out a lot of money for the real thing - and don't they cost like tens of thousands of dollars?

This reminds me of a question I've always wondered about : In Aliens, when Apone goes around and collects everyone's ammunition, Drake and Vasquez remove and hand over something that looks like a battery, connected to two cables on their guns. They then surreptitiously produce backups and clip them back into the cables. Are we to believe these tiny boxes are the 'magazines' for the M56? Or IS it some sort of battery that the gun requires to function? We see them rack the bolts on their guns at one point and the bolt travel seems to suggest there's a normal-sized round being chambered - and the MG42 drum magazine is clearly visible on the guns.

I wish I could find my copy of the USCM Technical Manual.

USCM Technical Manual identifies it as the DV9 battery that powers everything from the harness to the gun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The USCM Tech Manual owns and I got my copy signed by Lance Henriksen, he’s a super cool dude.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That rules.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Same here. A friend tried to sell me on Dead Space II once; "I know you have a ripping 5.1 system, turn the lights out and turn that poo poo up - this game will scare the bejeezus out of you," but it really didn't. Most horror games I've played don't fill me with dread. A:I on the other hand, once made me literally scream and throw the controller down on the floor. I didn't think the xeno would follow me into the vents, but it learned how!

As I said above, I think something changed in my life because the last playthrough wasn't nearly as stressful as this one. I'm still stuck in the first Seegson part because the androids scare the gently caress out of me.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

That 'smartgun' is just baffling. A lot of work for... what?

That SmallRig harness is made for phones and DSLR bodies, so the shotgun probably cost more than it did. The shotgun does have a pretty impressive rate of fire, but why wouldn't you just get a replica MG42 and have something that makes more sense to have an armature assist.

Just all around :psyboom:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That looks like an M249 on a proper Steadicam to me. Does SmallRig make an armature that robust-looking?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

If you want a good Aliens comic, read Labyrinth. Or hell, if you want something contemporaneous to Dead Orbit, read Dust to Dust.

And if you want a really bad/mediocre Aliens comic, read the current ongoing series from disney/marvel.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

The USCM Tech Manual owns and I got my copy signed by Lance Henriksen, he’s a super cool dude.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Azubah posted:

And if you want a really bad/mediocre Aliens comic, read the current ongoing series from disney/marvel.

I haven’t even bothered reading it. Larocca’s art is trash, and while historically I was a completionist about Aliens poo poo, I’ve finally started to get choosy on stuff I buy that I don’t know if I’ll ever get around to reading, especially with space in my house becoming a premium and my comic book shelf already failing once and needing replacement.

I have a huge backlog of Aliens/Predator/AvP novels I still haven’t gotten around to reading. poo poo, I still haven’t gotten off my rear end and read ‘Aliens: The Cold Forge’ yet, and that novel’s supposed to be great.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I had two uncles who did fairly menial poo poo in Vietnam but whatever, they were in country. They came back with stories.

Predators had the punji sticks scene and it just went on and on. I didn't want to see Alice Braga get poo poo sticked but that scene was too long.

I can't understand how she caught herself. Suspension of disbelief?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

For those who aren't familiar with this guy, once a day he tweets a pic where he photoshops Paddington Bear into a scene from a movie.

Here's his Alien Day entry:

https://twitter.com/jaythechou/status/1519093746133991424?s=21

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Happy alien day.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I share my birthday with the best made up holiday

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

MacheteZombie posted:

I share my birthday with the best made up holiday

My condolences to the parent whose chest you burst out of.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
lofi beats to relax/stasis to

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

And while searching for that pic, this one came up. :shrug:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
A good day to be thinking about Aliens

Almost a good page too if you rearrange the numbers.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'll be watching Prometheus in 4K for the first time in a couple of hours.

There are no Aliens in the movie but I will still be thinking about them.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Splicer posted:

lofi beats to relax/stasis think about aliens to

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I watched Terminator Dark Fate twice this past week while very very drunk. I don't remember a lot of it but I don't think I really liked it. I kinda like the supersoldier thing though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I am humbled and ashamed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR