Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

USAGS used to be terrible with communicating but seems to have improved in recent years, send them a message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

wdarkk posted:

Is "pre-ordering" the RG Hi Nu from Big Bad Toy Store a decent means of getting it as quickly as possible without paying scalpers? I've got a p-bandai gun for it coming soon-ish.

Be wary of their pre-orders, Covid hosed up their order system something fierce and they just don't get in some kits. I had a kit pre-ordered last year that every month gets pushed up to the next month.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Beautiful sculpt

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
drat that looks pretty.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Oh drat they actually molded the plastic to simulate battle damage

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Ya everything not in orange is new

looong snout

on the other hand the RX-78 doesnt seem to have much new except decals

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 27, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My HobbyCo order arrived, along with a few extra bits, so I was able to finally build and finish a project... A DRAGON!

Even folds up into a kinda-sorta flight mode... I really shoulda thrown in an Action Base for this one when I ordered the missing parts, as it's a wee bit floppy in general... :doh:

Turned out it can even achieve a decent humanoid form as well. For anyone curious, there's the torso hips and thighs of a Spinatio Ninja under all that as a base.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
What grade is that new(-ish) Zaku?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I don't know where the source pics are from but that's based on the Origin HG zaku

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thanks! :tipshat:

Was hoping for a new MG.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Marx Headroom posted:

Oh drat they actually molded the plastic to simulate battle damage

Should have just been the regular Zaku kit packaged with a dremel

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren: The Giant Robo MODEROID is up for preorder at HLJ! :siren:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

That's interesting.

Gun Girl makes sense, basically. It was a weird line, and the rollout was small enough that it couldn't really be canned before they finished. But Kyokai Senki has been running long enough with the split cour setup that I'd expect at least some measures to reduce unsold stock. Are we talking massive piles of first wave stuff, or just slower sales for recent releases? Or are grunts selling and main suits sitting?

I've seen massive piles of even popular kits at times, so I know anecdotes aren't data, but if I can't get full on data, more detailed anecdotes would be handy.

I had a more thorough look at the pile of red boxes when I went into a store the other day and it's pretty much everything. Kenbus, bunyips, shions, they're all there.

The galgun stuff has all disappeared now though so I'm assuming that's all gone to the great ecopla blender in the sky.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Isn't the girl part of GGL living on as 30MS?

I know there's at least one outfit kit that works on both.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SpikeMcclane posted:

Isn't the girl part of GGL living on as 30MS?

I know there's at least one outfit kit that works on both.

I wouldn't say living on, they were targeted at different demographics. 30MS is clearly an attempt to get into the Frame Arms Girls market, which pretty much every model company is doing. I think Kotobukiya now has a bunch of different mechagirl model kit lines. GGL seemed like an attempt to get girls into models but from a new direction; selling the model kits as cosplay goods for a live action drama. Who knows, maybe if the show had been more popular it would have worked.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
I built a Brady Hound this week. I like some elements of it such as the eyeball head and the claws on its feet, but the arms were disappointing. It's really hard to raise them properly, and the elbow barely goes passed 90 degrees.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:siren: The Giant Robo MODEROID is up for preorder at HLJ! :siren:

And ordered. I know nothing about it, but it's beefy, it's vaguely Egyptian and there's a guy hanging off its face. What's not to like?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

maninthesuit posted:

I built a Brady Hound this week. I like some elements of it such as the eyeball head and the claws on its feet, but the arms were disappointing. It's really hard to raise them properly, and the elbow barely goes passed 90 degrees.

And ordered. I know nothing about it, but it's beefy, it's vaguely Egyptian and there's a guy hanging off its face. What's not to like?

Maybe the Ginrei Special spinoff?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

I had a more thorough look at the pile of red boxes when I went into a store the other day and it's pretty much everything. Kenbus, bunyips, shions, they're all there.

The galgun stuff has all disappeared now though so I'm assuming that's all gone to the great ecopla blender in the sky.

Thanks. That's interesting.

I'd kinda assume the galgun kits would move once they were discounted, if only for the 30 minute cross-compatibility. Well, the figures. The guns getting the ecopla treatment seems likely, though.

For Kyoukai Senki, if it's failing I suspect part of the reason is confused marketing. The show is pretty juvenile compared to other "real robot" mech anime, complete with cute mascots and minimal death, but it also goes into politics too much to appeal to kids, and the model line is more detailed and more expensive than the standard, without a cheap intro design (like Barbatos or Core Gundam) to get a foot in the door.

Still, the Shion kits seem like the worst bet. Who made the decision that those were what everyone was excited for, anyway?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Built my new Zaku II and Barbatos Lupus Rex. Barbatos has a lot of parts in the sprues that are not used.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

Still, the Shion kits seem like the worst bet. Who made the decision that those were what everyone was excited for, anyway?

I don't see why it's that weird. With 86 and Shion they're trying out releasing figure rise anime girl kits as the show is airing. anime girl model kits are popular, so why wouldn't it work to sell them for a current anime?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I don't see why it's that weird. With 86 and Shion they're trying out releasing figure rise anime girl kits as the show is airing. anime girl model kits are popular, so why wouldn't it work to sell them for a current anime?

Well, partially because there was no way to know if anyone liked Shion. Lena makes some sense, since there was a market already. 86 was a popular light novel before the anime came out, so they could have a better idea if Lena would be well liked.

Shion, meanwhile, had no precedent to suggest she'd be popular, no robot part to get in on the Frame Arms market, (unlike most of the Build girls) and a design that, well, doesn't have any horny appeal.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

AMAIM as a whole is a basket Bandai's put a lot of eggs in. Releasing the Figure-rise Standard while the iron's hot makes sense if they were targeting this show as hard as I assume they were towards the Gundam SEED/Code Geass/etc vibe of pulling in an audience with little-to-no experience of Serious Robot Shows, even if in practice it hasn't grabbed that audience. It's affordable character merch and it's an in to the plamo line, it's at least as sensible a blind decision as any of the non-main character mecha they've made.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

You know, I think I'm a pretty good gunpla modeller, but then I see poo poo like this and immediately doubt myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei4lojQjZT8&t=3s

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

1st Stage Midboss posted:

AMAIM as a whole is a basket Bandai's put a lot of eggs in. Releasing the Figure-rise Standard while the iron's hot makes sense if they were targeting this show as hard as I assume they were towards the Gundam SEED/Code Geass/etc vibe of pulling in an audience with little-to-no experience of Serious Robot Shows, even if in practice it hasn't grabbed that audience. It's affordable character merch and it's an in to the plamo line, it's at least as sensible a blind decision as any of the non-main character mecha they've made.

Not really.

To start, Shion costs about 900 yen more than a grunt suit pre-tax. That's almost a whole high grade's worth of price gap, and more than enough to nab a 30 minute mission sub-machine. Price matters at the checkout counter, and costing a bit more than a high grade is easier to sell than something costing more than a Real Grade, all else being equal. And all else isn't equal. Bandai hired a top industrial design team to help work on their mech aesthetics for AMAIM, and the results speak for themselves. Kyoukai Senki mechs have really impressive and distinct engineering, which helps justify them costing more than most high grades. (They're also much bigger than baseline HGs, so pricing comparable to the Messer or the Karl scans.). The value gets worse when you compare to the 30 Minute Sisters line, which costs a full 1000 yen less for a better kit (more articulation, accessories, painted face instead of stickers...).

What's more, Kyoukai Senki isn't getting the full court press. There's very little in the way of character goods that I can find. There do seem to be plush toys of the AIs, at least, but there's no figures of the pilots, statues, or similar. All I can find in terms of grocery store checkout figures is trading cards. Maybe Bandai hopes to sell this to non-mech fans, but the merch says it's Gunpla nerds as the primary.

Shion's figure is this weird standalone, a boring character with a boring design getting sold for premium prices in a line that tends to only have big names, like Asuna or Goku. You'd think that if they wanted to sell merch they'd at least give her a spotlight episode or something.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

What's the best way to deal with the crippling despair you feel when the V-Fin gem on your Strike Freedom Gundam tiddlywinks off your fingernail as you try to fasten it on after it fell off for the 10th time, and it's just gone?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

St0rmD posted:

What's the best way to deal with the crippling despair you feel when the V-Fin gem on your Strike Freedom Gundam tiddlywinks off your fingernail as you try to fasten it on after it fell off for the 10th time, and it's just gone?

Put a sock on the end of your vacuum and try to find it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

First get equal parts bleach and ammonia...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Clean your entire work area to make sure it's not hidden behind a pot of paint or something. Stand up and move around to make sure it's not caught in a fold of your clothing. Search along the floor with a flashlight. If you still can't find it, remove all the furniture from your room. The vacuum your room. Dump the vacuum contents onto a baking tray and check to see if your part is in there like you're panning for gold.

It works. I speak from experience.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Monaghan posted:

You know, I think I'm a pretty good gunpla modeller, but then I see poo poo like this and immediately doubt myself.

What the loving gently caress electronic wizardry did I just watch?

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Gripweed posted:

Clean your entire work area to make sure it's not hidden behind a pot of paint or something. Stand up and move around to make sure it's not caught in a fold of your clothing. Search along the floor with a flashlight. If you still can't find it, remove all the furniture from your room. The vacuum your room. Dump the vacuum contents onto a baking tray and check to see if your part is in there like you're panning for gold.

It works. I speak from experience.

I've done all that, minus the vacuuming, but I have tile floors. It's gone. I didn't even see which direction it flew, and I didn't really see or feel how much force/speed it flew off with. I was trying to push the little pin into the hole, and then my thumb slipped and it wasn't there anymore. Maybe there's a chance I happen to find it at some point, but I'm not hopeful. My worst fear is that it somehow flew over my shoulder into a very full kitchen garbage can that was about 6 feet behind me (and I'm not going sorting through kitchen trash for a 3mm piece of plastic). I was just posting to vent my rage/despair.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 30, 2022

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Monaghan posted:

ahhhhhhh

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
this guys other videos are also insane jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UdbsaYkwYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgztxQ9JPBQ

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Brave fans are eating GOOD this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDo3Dikr-PM

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Monaghan posted:

That is a cool spray booth with the waterfall to help catch overspray

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

What's the best way to remove panel liners? I'm dissatisfied with how they turned out in the RG Nu Gundam's fin funnels, and I'm thinking of giving them a do-over.

I just used a standard panel line marker, nothing fancy, and the kit has no topcoat applied.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Alcohol wipes.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Also, in my experience, touching them at all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DamnGlitch posted:

Also, in my experience, touching them at all.

That only works if you aren't trying to remove them.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm looking for some good tutorials on airbrushing gundam models specifically, like how to go about prepping the pieces, disassembling, choosing colors. I'm experience with airbrushing basic stuff like basecoats and preshading, but I'd like to try other types of highlighting and shading.

Mostly I'm just trying to pick good colors for an off-white or red (including shades) and would like to see and example guides people think are decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

My first ever Koto kit.