Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
liberals moving onto a carbon tax scare campaign really feels like they're just desperately throwing whatever poo poo they can think of because nothing's sticking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The great Albo is unbeatable.

Albo the Magnificent.

A labor hero that many australians are already writing songs about.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

Albo the Magnificent.

Who?

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

I forget his name, I just know he was bought up in public housing.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Wizard Master posted:

Absolutely vile disrespect to our diggers shown by Scott Morrison during yesterday's ANZAC memorial, where he is shown texting whilst the minutes silence is occuring
https://v.redd.it/nokht0y0arv81

Do people stand up and applaud after the silence now?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

You lot must be talking about Bill Shorten.

Saw some new party called TNL (The New Liberals) in my electorate. I liked some of the stuff on the policy sheet (Net zero emissions by 2030, bring refugee's to Australia) but I couldn't help but get the feeling they were economic conservatives. They were spruiking something called Modern Monetary Theory which I'm having some issues understanding.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I thought TNL got deregistered

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Anidav posted:

Albo the Magnificent.

But do we really know who he is or what he stands for???

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Mysticblade posted:

Saw some new party called TNL (The New Liberals) in my electorate. I liked some of the stuff on the policy sheet (Net zero emissions by 2030, bring refugee's to Australia) but I couldn't help but get the feeling they were economic conservatives. They were spruiking something called Modern Monetary Theory which I'm having some issues understanding.

Climate 200 Splinter group.

Tried running under The new Liberals banner, AEC said no because apparently the Liberal Party can only use the word Liberal.

Registered under TNL instead but also splintered again and formed another group called The Local Party which also spun off and split into another group called LFC aka Liberals For Climate.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
they spent three or four months running adds for a candidate in Bonner but she didn't get on the ballot for some reason

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Mysticblade posted:

mmt is economically progressive to the extent that I understand it

lih
May 15, 2013

MMT is not really either, its policy recommendations are very distinct from the dominant (well, until the pandemic?) neo-classical recommendations of balanced budgets at all costs, austerity to deal with recessions, etc. - they favour deficit spending, a jobs guarantee, full employment & recognise the real limit on spending is productive capacity, not some arbitrary debt measure, but they're also counter-intuitively in favour of things like lower taxes.

the descriptive parts of it are pretty good and decent for reframing economic policy in terms away from balanced budget household metaphor nonsense, but the policy recommendations are a weird mix of things & if you want to just build on the good parts of it you end up with fairly standard social democracy stuff. MMT policies would be an improvement over the status quo but they're not some ideal to aim for, advocates often see it as this One Weird Trick to let you do economic policy that's better than the terrible western consensus but totally ignore the power relations part of politics that keeps those ideologies dominant.

TNL are not conservatives but they're yet another left-of-centre minor party that doesn't provide any meaningful reason to vote for them over the Greens

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/coalition-holds-ground-in-queensland-amid-coal-fight-poll-shows-20220426-p5ag2g

some amazing spin from the AFR - "The Coalition’s belief it will hold all or most of its seats in Queensland has been buttressed by the latest poll which shows it is the best-performing state for the Morrison government at this stage." when the poll shows an 8% swing to Labor in Queensland

lih fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 26, 2022

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/1518871896166567936

lih
May 15, 2013

i guess they don't give a poo poo because they know there's absolutely 0 chance of them winning 2 seats, let alone 3

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Eediot Jedi posted:

Do people stand up and applaud after the silence now?

Disrespectful, they should be doing spirit fingers the whole way through.

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/the-oz

lmao the australian has launched a youth media outlet

mostly generic clickbait and then suddenly wildly reactionary poo poo from the australian squeezed in

you still have to pay for a subscription to the australian of course which makes it seem almost certainly doomed to failure

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If there's one thing THE YOUTHS love it's paying for things

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

kirbysuperstar posted:

If there's one thing THE (right wing) YOUTHS love it's (their parents) paying for things

Fixed that for you.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

kirbysuperstar posted:

If there's one thing THE (right wing) YOUTHS love it's (their parents) paying for things Hitler

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

If there's one thing THE Hitler love it's (their parents) paying for things (right wing) YOUTHS

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

lih posted:

mostly generic clickbait and then suddenly wildly reactionary poo poo from the australian squeezed in

you still have to pay for a subscription to the australian of course which makes it seem almost certainly doomed to failure

How do you do fellow kids ...

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tomberforce posted:

How do you do fellow kids Hitlers ...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

lih posted:

The truth is wage growth has been lower than Julia Fox's jeans for close to a decade because bosses don't want to pay workers more. The reality is they also don't have to because Australia's industrial relations system has been effectively eroding the power of workers to push for more money for close to 40 years.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The youths will surely subscribe to this

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mysticblade posted:

As I understand it MMT is basically throwing away the idea of treating the governments budget like a household budget, and thinking of things more in productive potential. We think of things in terms of supply/demand, where supply is often treated as a static amount, with less demand leading to lower prices and higher demand higher prices.

Imagine a factory running at 50% capacity because that's what they think is the optimum amount of production balancing revenue against unsold product. If demand is permanently increased, that factory could now run at 75% capacity with the supply/demand balance staying the same, and thus not causing inflation.

As long as there's unused or underutilized production ability, the government can keep injecting money, raising living standards and stimulating the economy without worrying about debt.

Obviously there is still a limit to how much money can be created as there are limits to productivity and how quickly things can ramp up, and if the government spends too much too quickly, or in the wrong areas, that could prompt rapid inflation so it's not a magic bullet to fund anything they want, but it does take away the "BUT HOW WILL YOU PAY FOR X?!?!" argument.

Taxation still exists, but rather than that collected money being used by the government to pay for things it is destroyed, lowering the amount of money in circulation as an anti-inflationary measure.

At least that's how I understand it, but most of it came from listening to Luke McGregor explain it on a podcast a couple of years ago so I'm certainly no expert.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

One Nation picked up a seat in SA ffs

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
There's a form for reporting the licence plates of litterers in nsw now

https://www.dontbeatosser.epa.nsw.g...ChoCMkEQAvD_BwE

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-28/one-nation-tight-lipped-on-sa-candidate-sarah-game/100943778

They're a strange mystery candidate with no information online who Pauline Hanson has never met.

lih
May 15, 2013

NPR Journalizard posted:

it's just in the upper house and it was the first time they ever ran a serious campaign in SA. they only got 4% primary there but quotas are low enough & they got enough preferences from other anti-vax parties that it's not a big surprise at all. they really haven't contested many state elections in general

https://twitter.com/dcotterill/status/1519106166139367424

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's also an irrelevant seat, Labor only needs 3 votes from 2 Greens and 2 ex-Xenophons to carry votes

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

It's also an irrelevant seat, Labor only needs 3 votes from 2 Greens and 2 ex-Xenophons to carry votes

She's in there for 8 years now though. Could matter after the 2026 election.

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...rs-after-review

government has announced it will change the classification of loot boxes if re-elected! games don't even have those very much anymore, the industry has already moved on

had been wondering what had happened to that classification code review though, they ordered a review that came back in 2020 and they've just sat on the report for the last two years without releasing it

https://twitter.com/Ageinvestigates/status/1519168319789867016

the BRS case continues to amaze

lih fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 27, 2022

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
lol the AFP is a loving disgrace

https://twitter.com/latingle/status/1519271510116306944

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just got all my mail voting stuff today. Went to the Greens' website to see their how to vote stuff and couldn't find it.

Found all the Victorian candidates no worries, but couldn't see their how to vote stuff.

I'm having a hard time deciding where to put the LNP last or Pauline Hanson last and figure I'll use the Greenss site rather than flipping a coin.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just got all my mail voting stuff today. Went to the Greens' website to see their how to vote stuff and couldn't find it.

Found all the Victorian candidates no worries, but couldn't see their how to vote stuff.

I'm having a hard time deciding where to put the LNP last or Pauline Hanson last and figure I'll use the Greenss site rather than flipping a coin.

The Vote Greens website is likely to open on the 9th when pre-poll opens. It might be open before then, but if you can wait till the 9th then it will be up nation wide for sure.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I think I know what order my preferences are going to be in

1. Greens
2. Australian Progressives
3. Animal Justice
4. ALP

And then I loving raffle them off from there with the UAP being at the bottom. I'm unfortunately in an electorate that has only ever voted LNP outside of one time for the ALP although the Greens did give the LNP a scare in the state election.

poo poo loving sucks though, the LNP is the least awful of the right wing parties which is some depressing stuff.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
My forever mp is homebrand scomo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm just going to slam pick green lab because my electorate is a Labor hard lock then autocomplete senate greens and not worry too much about it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Tudge is going to win my electorate in a loving landslide, so I'm going with 1) Greens 2) Labor, make the rest up as I go along, and dead last, Rebekah Spelman for United Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GoldStandardConure posted:

The Vote Greens website is likely to open on the 9th when pre-poll opens. It might be open before then, but if you can wait till the 9th then it will be up nation wide for sure.

Thanks.

I always try to get my voting out of the way as soon as I can to stop myself turning full wonk over it and deciding that, no, I really should vote under the line for every candidate again.