Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
this discussion has convinced me to never read Gunnerkrigg, but also to be afraid of YA fiction at large

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Cowcaster sacrificed themselves to spare the thread from Gunnerkrigg Chat.

To respect that: caught up on Never Satisfied, and I feel no sympathy for Ana. A boastful-to-abusive mage lording it over even her close family and friends, and basically just running on spite against Lucy to the point they were going to publicly humiliate and probably hospitalize them until Merrylegs and her Magic is taken from her.

Also, is the Police Chief becoming a Husk, or did she fuse with her now-dead familiar and is losing her sanity?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Lunatic Sledge posted:

this discussion has convinced me to never read Gunnerkrigg, but also to be afraid of YA fiction at large

Everything before the Jeanne plot is resolved is great, which honestly makes everything that came after so much more disappointing.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
derangedposting

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

fun hater posted:

derangedposting

when is Maxine coming back, I miss her

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

J.A.B.C. posted:

Cowcaster sacrificed themselves to spare the thread from Gunnerkrigg Chat.

Cowcaster is the one who roused Gunnerkrigg Chat from its slumber, and deserves no credit.

Also, yeah:

Ironic Twist posted:

Everyone read A Ghost Story, it's good fun. It also hasn't been around for my entire adult life and thus can't ever disappoint me in the way GC does.

I slept through the previous rounds of webcomic reccomendations, let me scan my RSS for everything that's still active and I still like:
  • A Ghost Story: I enjoy seeing the excellent characters interact, and look forward to someday understanding the world as much as Maxine instead of as little as Jack.
  • Ten Earth Shattering Blows: thrilling and funny mad-max-esque desert action (with worldbuilding and plot on the margins)
  • Cat And Girl: Been around forever, not story based, cynical in a way I appreciate.
  • Oglaf: NSFW, funny
  • BACK: ok this recently ended so I'm cheating, but it's by Anthony Clark (of Nedroid) and KC Green, and is stellar.
  • Dinosaur Comics: Yes I still read qwantz.com three times a week and it's consistently entertaining. I guess I'm still subscribed to xkcd too but I think that passes through my brain leaving no trace.
  • Sleepless Domain: Very good as I'm sure you've heard by now. I think it's the only thing on this list that sustains its own thread here.
  • Whatever John Allison Is Working On These Days: I'm not sure if it's technically Bad Machinery spinoffs or what? He's stopped even trying to make it possible to chart a course through his backlog, but since I've been keeping up with the help of RSS I'm still enjoying it.
  • Wilde Life: Man flees family problems to rural town in the middle of nowhere, encounters lots of mythology-based magical beings, makes awful decisions. Possibly my favorite thing on this list, let's keep going and see...
...end list??? holy poo poo, my webcomics diet has really withered. A lot of stuff ended or petered off, my RSS subscription list is a sprawling graveyard and I'm picking through the bones. I guess I really do have time to finally binge-read Kill Six Billion Demons.

Anyway I linked to the first pages of some of those because webcomics keep doing that stupid thing where the main page shows the latest page so newcomers see spoilers.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 27, 2022

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The Tony arc had a dumbass resolution but I don't think this makes the comic an anthem for parental neglect or w/e. gunnerkriggs major problem is actually that its just boring now. exciting things aren't resolving. awhile back I read the chapters leading up to Mort dying and, frankly, those owned. wish the comic still had that energy

pretty lol that someone tried to use "wow sounds like you're PRETTY familiar with YA. not me" in an argument about a webcomic though. buddy

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Going to repeat forever that Microsat-5 is a fantastic chapter that I think holds up regardless of whatever happens later in the comic.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Oh my God you're all still talking about GC

There's already a thread for this stuff

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

If we're going to have Gunnerkrigg discussion here I guess I'll try to give an earnest post and see if it can be managed without this whole "blowing past the other and firing into the hay bales in the distance" thing.

To me this seemed like a very good summary of the situation. Thank you, it was a good post imo!

shirts and skins posted:

Oh my God you're all still talking about GC

There's already a thread for this stuff

Oh shoot, you're right!

Uhhh, how are you liking... Kill Six Billion Demons?

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 27, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

J.A.B.C. posted:

To respect that: caught up on Never Satisfied, and I feel no sympathy for Ana. A boastful-to-abusive mage lording it over even her close family and friends, and basically just running on spite against Lucy to the point they were going to publicly humiliate and probably hospitalize them until Merrylegs and her Magic is taken from her.

Ana is a shithead kid who had all her self worth poured into manifesting magic by her family, and that was partially because of the fact that magic-users do appear to have more privilege and prestige in their society. Ana's also not technically wrong that Lucy shouldn't be there, in the sense that they're playing a childish competition to win a spot in what amounts to the Magic Green Berets or something. Lucy seemingly not being magic would be a pretty big problem if they won. Ana was still being a big dickish bully and it ended up in a very "play stupid games" moment when Lucy retaliated, though yeah.

So I suppose I'm saying I do sympathize a bit with Ana, but yes she's a mess like most of the characters we've seen multiple sides of in the comic.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Also, is the Police Chief becoming a Husk, or did she fuse with her now-dead familiar and is losing her sanity?

The police chief became a husk and fused with her familiar. I don't know if that means the familiar is dead or not. The comic hasn't gone into the particulars of how Husks happen. Husks eventually lose a grip on their sanity as the magic seeps into their brain and they turn into raw emotion elementals. However, she's only at the point where her Id is unleashed (dog pun) so she's more openly an eviler and sexier dragon lady.

Varinn posted:

The Tony arc had a dumbass resolution but I don't think this makes the comic an anthem for parental neglect or w/e. gunnerkriggs major problem is actually that its just boring now. exciting things aren't resolving. awhile back I read the chapters leading up to Mort dying and, frankly, those owned. wish the comic still had that energy

I don't think the messaging around that part of the comic makes it an anthem for parental neglect. It's just frustrating and feels more like a facile way to get a thing closed off so the comic can enter THE FINAL DAY faster. If I actively hated the comic I wouldn't be reading it still.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Make mentioning gunnerkrigg bannable pls, you can save a life today by forcing these dudes to touch grass

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hempuli posted:

Uhhh, how are you liking... Kill Six Billion Demons?

There's a thread for that too, I'm afraid you are now banished

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ditocoaf posted:

[*]Whatever John Allison Is Working On These Days: I'm not sure if it's technically Bad Machinery spinoffs or what? He's stopped even trying to make it possible to chart a course through his backlog, but since I've been keeping up with the help of RSS I'm still enjoying it.

Is he still doing Steeple? I liked Steeple.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If someone can point to an archive of what order things progressed and where to read what as far as online comics after Bad Machinery ended, I would actually like to know because I completely lost track during one of those times his whole website got rearranged and became un-navigable.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Dawgstar posted:

Is he still doing Steeple? I liked Steeple.

Nuns with Guns posted:

If someone can point to an archive of what order things progressed and where to read what as far as online comics after Bad Machinery ended, I would actually like to know because I completely lost track during one of those times his whole website got rearranged and became un-navigable.

I've been posting his stuff in the newspaper comics thread. Basically Allison has two three several webcomic sites going right now;

https://steeple.church is where he is posting his Steeple comics, which pick up where the last issue of the printed series left off. He's also having them published by Dark Horse after he does forty or so pages of comics.

https://badmachinery.com is where he is posting his side comics with his Tackleford characters, mainly Lottie Grote from Bad Machinery, but he also did a Giant Days / Batman crossover

https://destroyhistory.com follows Shelley Winters with her time-traveling work at the Ministry of History, but over the years Allison has only done two stories with the concept, one with Hedy Lemarr and one with the Beatles (of which he only did part one of two).

The is also his current Scary Go Round website, which just acts as an index for all his current comics, and his Gumroad store where you can buy digital versions of his Scary Go Round and New Bobbins webcomics, as well as several one-shots he did over the years.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Anybody here talking about Vattu? Seems things are wrapping up. Also lmao eat poo poo Bad Roman Dogman Whose Name I Absolutely Remember

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SexyBlindfold posted:

Anybody here talking about Vattu? Seems things are wrapping up. Also lmao eat poo poo Bad Roman Dogman Whose Name I Absolutely Remember

I love that he just shrugs off getting attacked but getting ignored completely and utterly defeats him.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Make mentioning gunnerkrigg bannable pls, you can save a life today by forcing these dudes to touch grass

I am quite capable of touching grass and complaining about Gunnerkrigg, thank you :colbert:

View is from Big Baldy ridge in King's Canyon National Park, from a hike I was on literally this morning.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 27, 2022

fun hater
May 24, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

please do not discuss webcomics in the webcomics thread.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It makes me sad to feel like a webcomic has lost its spark, but often I think that a frustrating narrative development is merely the thing that makes you realize that it's declined, rather than the decline itself.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Ditocoaf posted:

Everyone read A Ghost Story, it's good fun. It also hasn't been around for my entire adult life and thus can't ever disappoint me in the way GC does.

I slept through the previous rounds of webcomic reccomendations, let me scan my RSS for everything that's still active and I still like:[list]
[*]A Ghost Story: I enjoy seeing the excellent characters interact, and look forward to someday understanding the world as much as Maxine instead of as little as Jack.

Ironic Twist posted:

t-thank you guys...maxine will be back next chapter where we will catch up on what she's been doing this whole time. i hope things become more clear esp in upcoming stuff. please read my webcomic for jokes, thank you.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
imagine thinking authorial intent necessarily matters anyway, when the message sucks

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

fun hater posted:

t-thank you guys...maxine will be back next chapter where we will catch up on what she's been doing this whole time. i hope things become more clear esp in upcoming stuff. please read my webcomic for jokes, thank you.
Maxine has spent the entire last chapter learning how to flick cards into a hat and I cannot wait to watch her learn in real time.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

I love that he just shrugs off getting attacked but getting ignored completely and utterly defeats him.

Are you crying, Calirus? There's no crying! THERE'S NO CRYING IN COUP D'ETATS!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

J.A.B.C. posted:

Re-absorbing one's familiar as one's magic goes nuts is the first thing that happens to people who turn into husks.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Hostile V posted:

Maxine has spent the entire last chapter learning how to flick cards into a hat and I cannot wait to watch her learn in real time.

Okay I finally started reading it a couple days ago, and not even halfway caught up, but like gently caress Maxine could ever bring herself to do that and not furiously explode half the city somehow out of sheer mad energy needing a release. She's almost overwhelming just to read, holy poo poo.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
She's the GOAT and Jack is a condom full of wet mashed potatoes and does not deserve her

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Did you guys ever see the simpsons episode where bart is good at baseball and everyone loves him, and then he makes one mistake and everyone turns on him

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FunkyAl posted:

Did you guys ever see the simpsons episode where bart is good at baseball and everyone loves him, and then he makes one mistake and everyone turns on him

No, but now I resent you for compelling me to look it up, load data into my mind regarding the plot of any Simpsons episodes that aired after 2000, and also admire a fandom wiki page with a multi-paragraph header that has multiple multiple warnings about suicide and the suicide hotline number. That is a very strange The Simpsons article for sure.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It's a loving terrible episode and I do not recommend it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

No, but now I resent you for compelling me to look it up, load data into my mind regarding the plot of any Simpsons episodes that aired after 2000, and also admire a fandom wiki page with a multi-paragraph header that has multiple multiple warnings about suicide and the suicide hotline number. That is a very strange The Simpsons article for sure.

It spread. I looked it up too. Not exactly Homer at the Bat, is it. Good lord.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The point of said episode being, sports stars, entertainers, cartoonists etc do not remain in their prime forever and it is absurd to become angry at them when it happens. GC chat always reminds me of when a man is yelling at a TV quarterback, claiming he would have known how to do that play Correctly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FunkyAl posted:

The point of said episode being, sports stars, entertainers, cartoonists etc do not remain in their prime forever and it is absurd to become angry at them when it happens. GC chat always reminds me of when a man is yelling at a TV quarterback, claiming he would have known how to do that play Correctly.

I'm not mad Gunnerkrigg is "past its prime" whatever that means. Having a story beat executed in a way you find disappointing or uncomfortable might be rooted in the writer... idk what you're picturing here I guess getting old, losing mental fitness, burning out? but age or time or something catching up and leading to what feels like a mishandled plot point is pretty condescending on the creator and doesn't absolve the issues in the story itself. Conflating this with a Simpsons story where the people of Springfield poo poo on Bart Simpson until he tries to kill himself over a bungled little league game is asinine.

The Simpsons itself is past its prime and devolved into a significantly worse and more embarrassing state than that webcomic, but it'd be pretty loving stupid to go "You can't talk about how The Simpsons a hollow shell of itself corporate interests have gutted and moved into instead of letting it die, we all know it's past its prime so you can't say anything negative about it ever again."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm not mad Gunnerkrigg is "past its prime" whatever that means. Having a story beat executed in a way you find disappointing or uncomfortable might be rooted in the writer... idk what you're picturing here I guess getting old, losing mental fitness, burning out? but age or time or something catching up and leading to what feels like a mishandled plot point is pretty condescending on the creator and doesn't absolve the issues in the story itself. Conflating this with a Simpsons story where the people of Springfield poo poo on Bart Simpson until he tries to kill himself over a bungled little league game is asinine.

The Simpsons itself is past its prime and devolved into a significantly worse and more embarrassing state than that webcomic, but it'd be pretty loving stupid to go "You can't talk about how The Simpsons a hollow shell of itself corporate interests have gutted and moved into instead of letting it die, we all know it's past its prime so you can't say anything negative about it ever again."

shh, shh. FunkyAl is a Creator and thus above criticism from plebians such as you and I. we must content ourselves with scurrying about in the shadow of his creative genius, hoping for the crumbs of wisdom he deigns to bestow upon us.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think you can be critical without getting angry about it. My point is nobody bats 1.000, not even the best people at their jobs, so why is the discussion ITT cut with the tone. Expect it! Embrace it.

the holy poopacy posted:

shh, shh. FunkyAl is a Creator and thus above criticism from plebians such as you and I. we must content ourselves with scurrying about in the shadow of his creative genius, hoping for the crumbs of wisdom he deigns to bestow upon us.

Hey, that's right! You people should be laying flowers at my feet and feeding me dates out of a golden bowl.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FunkyAl posted:

I think you can be critical without getting angry about it. My point is nobody bats 1.000, not even the best people at their jobs, so why is the discussion ITT cut with the tone. Expect it! Embrace it.

Idk about anyone else but I'm not angry, just disappointed. And yeah we could stop letting all these earthly attachments weigh us down mentally or spiritually and acknowledge they're all just holding us back from true enlightenment. Buddhism sounded cool when I read about it in high school, too. Still, I'm only human and I don't see a point in spouting all these empty aphorisms.... aside from some masturbatory exercise without the pleasing climax at the end.

Like in a broad sense I wish more people could find a line between enjoying something and "I AM BETRAYED FOREVER WE ARE NOW MORTAL ENEMIES AND I WILL TAKE EVERYTHING IN THE WORST FAITH POSSIBLE FROM NOW ON!" Because that is pretty common in webcomic fan circles. But then again it seems like it's just a wider symptom of online engagement of all stripes. I don't know what's to be done with that beyond the uphill struggle of making more people realize there's a difference between engaging with an ultra-wealthy celeb online who has the resources to isolate and distance themselves from toxic discourse, and comparably normal people who just happen to build an online fan following.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Idk about anyone else but I'm not angry, just disappointed. And yeah we could stop letting all these earthly attachments weigh us down mentally or spiritually and acknowledge they're all just holding us back from true enlightenment. Buddhism sounded cool when I read about it in high school, too. Still, I'm only human and I don't see a point in spouting all these empty aphorisms.... aside from some masturbatory exercise without the pleasing climax at the end.

Like in a broad sense I wish more people could find a line between enjoying something and "I AM BETRAYED FOREVER WE ARE NOW MORTAL ENEMIES AND I WILL TAKE EVERYTHING IN THE WORST FAITH POSSIBLE FROM NOW ON!" Because that is pretty common in webcomic fan circles. But then again it seems like it's just a wider symptom of online engagement of all stripes. I don't know what's to be done with that beyond the uphill struggle of making more people realize there's a difference between engaging with an ultra-wealthy celeb online who has the resources to isolate and distance themselves from toxic discourse, and comparably normal people who just happen to build an online fan following.

Well the discourse doesn't need to be toxic. It could just be semiotics. Communication is a persistent struggle though, it reminds me of this webcomic about a guy who pushes a rock up a hill in hades.

I do not know a Lot about Buddhism but I don't think that's the point. The attachments don't hold him back, it's attachment.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Obviously as Posters, we have reached enlightenment, but it is our duty to remain in this cursed world to help others along their path rather than escape the cycle ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's definitely a wider pattern in online engagement, but also, it seems particularly prominent in the way Something Awful specifically discusses webcomics. There's very little gradient between "I'm no longer feeling this/that was a bad storytelling decision" and "this artist is a demon, and I am placed unto this thread to catalogue their known sins and imagine their secret ones".