Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Am I missing something in The Property of Hate? There’s a creature that moves like it’s a bird, and looks like it’s a big splash of paint. But it’s candy? I really am annoyed that I had to be told it’s supposed to be candy. Like if it’s supposed to be taffy, it should be sticky. But it’s not. If it’s supposed to be like a liquid icing, it should puddle, but it doesn’t. If it’s supposed to be cotton candy, it should have no weight to it. But it does. So it’s a confectionery without any of the traits candy has. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wait is someone posting Penisman again

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Wait is someone posting Penisman again

No one has posted Penisman in this thread but they definitely should

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:catstare:
:staredog:
:kstare:

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
The Property of Hate

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More

Domus posted:

Am I missing something in The Property of Hate? There’s a creature that moves like it’s a bird, and looks like it’s a big splash of paint. But it’s candy? I really am annoyed that I had to be told it’s supposed to be candy. Like if it’s supposed to be taffy, it should be sticky. But it’s not. If it’s supposed to be like a liquid icing, it should puddle, but it doesn’t. If it’s supposed to be cotton candy, it should have no weight to it. But it does. So it’s a confectionery without any of the traits candy has. :psyduck:

It's a bubble gum bird obv

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Lurk Ethic posted:

It's a bubble gum bird obv

Oh, poo poo, of course. It’s still not sticky though. But then I couldn’t draw a bubble gum bird even if I had a month to practice, so what the hell do I know.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ranking of Kings

Chapter 13.5

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ten Earth Shattering Blows

:stare: I never noticed Joy going to town on the helmet guy after he's down

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

In a hosed up way probably better putting him down than leaving him broken legged in the middle of no where. His teammates don't seem to view each other as anything but disposable.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
KT PULL!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Everything in TESB looks like it hurts so fuckin bad

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

"out here everything hurts" - Imperator Furiosa

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Everyone's clothes look sooo uncomfortable. It’s great.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible
CHRISTMAS DISASTER SPECIAL
January 1, 2005

This is one of my favourites! Maybe it's sappy but those final panels really work for me.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Is that a Gustavian Demi-Lune?

http://buyroomba.com

Tomorrow: Days of Thunder

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Transdimensional Brain Chip

91. Drill

92. Hey! BLAM!

93. Vest

Body count: 25
+ Jesse (shot by a cultist officer)
+ Cultist officer (shot by Ulf and Jesse)
+ Cultist officer (shot by Not-Jesse, twice)
+ Not-Jesse (shot by a cultist officer)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That was a fun sequence.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Stand Still. Stay Silent

Reynir has about as much luck as the rest of the crew so he should be a perfect fit

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

He's definitely hasty and dumb enough to fit in.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
SSSS is a weird combination of having a serious and thought-through world where background characters seem like fleshed-out and competent people but every single one of the main characters is a cartoony fuckup. It's an interesting narrative choice but it can be jarring sometimes because it seems like the narrative tension of having a serious and dangerous world is undercut by the characters we experience that world through refusing to take it seriously.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Not sure a bullet proof vest will help when you get shot in the head...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Slimy Hog posted:

Yeah that seems like a weird goof.

I'm still liking the story, but that whole shootout scene feels way too stiff and poorly conveyed. Some of the worse aspects of their art style.

e: vvvv Oh yeah, I read it earlier and forgot that I'd already gotten confused by how it represented the timelines :haw:
I still think that sequence doesn't work as well as the rest of the comic in terms of getting the action across.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Apr 27, 2022

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

It doesn't. Those are the two separated timelines. The one on the left shot him in the head after shooting in body failed to take him out, the one on the right saw that and realised why the body shot failed.

It's a pretty confusing scene if you don't remember that the horizontal panels are separate sequences.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It doesn't help that thorsby suddenly breaks the convention of split-universe ulf panels being the same size and blocked extremely similarly. Like the rule that horizontal panels are parallel universes still holds, but the asymmetric panels makes it feel more like they should be continuous events in the same reality

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

It doesn't. Those are the two separated timelines. The one on the left shot him in the head after shooting in body failed to take him out, the one on the right saw that and realised why the body shot failed.

It's a pretty confusing scene if you don't remember that the horizontal panels are separate sequences.

Oh damnit. I need to go back and re-read now.

EDIT: that makes way more sense and the whole mind reading thing is super fun.

Slimy Hog has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Apr 27, 2022

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

vyelkin posted:

SSSS is a weird combination of having a serious and thought-through world where background characters seem like fleshed-out and competent people but every single one of the main characters is a cartoony fuckup. It's an interesting narrative choice but it can be jarring sometimes because it seems like the narrative tension of having a serious and dangerous world is undercut by the characters we experience that world through refusing to take it seriously.

On the other hand, *gestures at the last two years*

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hempuli posted:

A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible
IN THE PRIVACY OF YOUR OWN HOME
November 20, 2004

lol this is great and extremely current.

Go straight to jail for horny

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Loving Makai and Ranking of Kings and a few others here. But I think I'm just going to skip Property from now on. I didn't agree with ppl saying it was being too obstifucating about what it was about, but it's now literally blacking out the name of the bad guy, for....reasons? Nah I'm good.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
With the way they do font bubbles his name could literally be that black bar

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Yeah, it's not being censored, that's the actual name. It's like a negation of concept.

I think Property of Hate is best approached as a picaresque. It's not so much a Hero's Journey structure, ironically enough.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Why couldn't it be a good picaresque, then? See Pinocchio.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Apocalypse Johto Part 2: Silver Tongue
Chapter 21: Dream Eater

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Goddamn perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I had a huge post thay was a screed about what I've learned in review of a year's worth of work and 125 comic pages, but I have no idea where to stick it. Twitter it'll be like literally a billion tweets, and I don't think any of the webcomic threads want a year in review lol. Is that what blogs are for?