Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

So you're doing Chaos Renegades? Is that better/stronger than the straight beastmen team? On one hand, I want to build a brayherd with some chaos blockers to help and just play the "mutate mutate mutate" game, because its funny (hello to my lineman with claws, monstrous mouth and foul appearance that killed a norsca blitzer last game)

They’re surprisingly good thanks to the positional options. It’s primarily down to developing your pieces individually - my strategy so far had been to mutate linewomen as soon as they have 3SPP, then build from there, continuing the random skills if the mutation doesn’t fit any positional plans. They are absolutely a team that starts out rough but which can gain incredible redundancy and play options that depends on how you develop and which requires you to really focus on positional play.

They’re absolutely an unreliable trick play team in my experience, though, especially if you try to lean too hard into gimmicks or over-rely on one particular trick. Right now, I’ve found that running it as Chaos-y as possible helps win games, because you can build an incredibly solid defense with how sturdy most of your players are, and with my set up, I can aim for the 1TTD with my goblin, run multiple passing routes with the Dark Elf or Monstrous Mouth linewoman, carry it for quick runs using the Skaven, or just slow-grind using the Thrower because Safe Pair of Hands provides a nice bit of safety which - because it’s not an optimal choice - not a lot of teams know how to reliably deal with, at least in my league.

Current goals for the remainder of the season are getting Dump-Off or Accurate on the Thrower, adding Dodge or Tackle for the Mino, Big Hand on the Goblin, and some more random skills. Might also try to add in more Block/Wrestle pieces, because I’ve only got two players with Block right now and while I’m trying to be all hipster-y and avoid running optimal skills, it seems like having that for the playoffs will help a bit.

I’m sure someone here has more experience than me, however. My league is thankfully casual enough that I can play a less-optimal team with weird choices and still do okay, but feel free to disregard my anecdotal evidence if you’re looking for optimal team building or playing for tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Jesus, Ash Wastes is going to be 300 loving dollars. Given that I'm waiting/trying to get my friends into Necromunda as a cheaper alternative to regular wargaming, I might just wait and see if the rulebook is fully errataed and pick it up from eBay piecemealers.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lumbermouth posted:

Jesus, Ash Wastes is going to be 300 loving dollars. Given that I'm waiting/trying to get my friends into Necromunda as a cheaper alternative to regular wargaming, I might just wait and see if the rulebook is fully errataed and pick it up from eBay piecemealers.

You may want to look at alternative games that you can just slap a coat of Necromunda over to make it work.

Horizon Wars Zero Dark
Space Weirdos
Planet 28
The One Page rule set which has a Necromunda clone.

Most can be bought for cheap and maybe you can get your game and not need a $300 box set, errata, White Dwarf lists etc.

Just a thought.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
There will also be loads of hivewar books going second hand very soon.

Meanwhile, I’m getting ash wastes because Necro is my fav GW game and about all the time I have now since I had a kiddo.

Plus weather controlling shamans on giant insects is :cool:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Am I wrong in thinking Ash Wastes price is consistent with other stuff vs. other GW box sets? Looks like it’s got overall more than the Kill Team box in it.

Not commenting on perceived value of plastic toys, just that it seems in line with their big box stuff + inflation.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Yeah, I think after you account for inflation, it is par for the course. But then again it is double trouble then - gw rises price to factor in inflation, and you have less money in you pocket for the same reason

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

It's more for me that I want skirmish games to be a more accessible intro to wargaming for my friends. At the moment, I think Crisis Protocol might be my best bet for being able to say "just spend $50 and we'll be able to play."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Am I wrong in thinking Ash Wastes price is consistent with other stuff vs. other GW box sets? Looks like it’s got overall more than the Kill Team box in it.

Not commenting on perceived value of plastic toys, just that it seems in line with their big box stuff + inflation.

You are completely correct, but the issue is their luxury pricing has finally pushed me out. The last thing I bought after a decade of not buying GW was the Octarus box. I got it at 20% off and sold the Krieg for a good price and still feel like the orks and terrain were fairly pricey. I will be shocked if another kit or box tempts me based on current prices.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Lumbermouth posted:

It's more for me that I want skirmish games to be a more accessible intro to wargaming for my friends. At the moment, I think Crisis Protocol might be my best bet for being able to say "just spend $50 and we'll be able to play."

Stargrave/Frostgrave are my picks for that. Figure agnostic and well supported. There are official figures if you want but the boxes are an incredible value.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I mean for fairness’s sake in those comparisons. We should knock the cost of the terrain of ash wastes box. You still need terrain for other games, after all. If not for that - box of van saar dudes of gw page is 47$, average master box for malifaux is 52$ from wyrd page. Comparing similar product 2 players set for inifnity is 125 euro so that one is kinda decent value if you can get lgs discount

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 27, 2022

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Lumbermouth posted:

Indolent Bastard has it right. There are a host of amazing indie skirmish games that are all designed for people with a handful of GW models. They're cheap and/or free and one necromunda gang could last you a long time if not forever.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Indolent Bastard has it right. There are a host of amazing indie skirmish games that are all designed for people with a handful of GW models. They're cheap and/or free and one necromunda gang could last you a long time if not forever.

Do they have the detailed campaign rules that Necromunda has? If Stargrave has something similar where you're tracking specific dudes and narrative progress, I'm in.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Lumbermouth posted:

Do they have the detailed campaign rules that Necromunda has? If Stargrave has something similar where you're tracking specific dudes and narrative progress, I'm in.

I'm not familiar with Necromunda's campaign rules, but Joe McCullough's rulesets (Frostgrave, Stargrave, Silver Bayonet, etc.) all have dedicated campaign sections and are designed around playing a series of games against varied opponents, with crew customization, upgrades & experience, potential for dudes to die or get wounded, all that jazz.

Stargrave is fairly new, but his typical release pattern for a game is to release the main book with a campaign and random mission style, then essentially a series of splatbooks with additional scenarios and special rules, new abilities, or new soldiers. I think Stargrave has the main book + one campaign book so far.

Also agreeing that the Stargrave kits are great. Maybe not the Jewel-like Objects of Wonder produced by GW, but ~$30 gets you 20 customizable models and all the kits are cross-compatible. That's assuming of course you don't just want to buy the book and use what you already have since it's minis agnostic by design.

Sorry for the stump speech I just really like his rules.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm not familiar with Necromunda's campaign rules, but Joe McCullough's rulesets (Frostgrave, Stargrave, Silver Bayonet, etc.) all have dedicated campaign sections and are designed around playing a series of games against varied opponents, with crew customization, upgrades & experience, potential for dudes to die or get wounded, all that jazz.

Stargrave is fairly new, but his typical release pattern for a game is to release the main book with a campaign and random mission style, then essentially a series of splatbooks with additional scenarios and special rules, new abilities, or new soldiers. I think Stargrave has the main book + one campaign book so far.

Also agreeing that the Stargrave kits are great. Maybe not the Jewel-like Objects of Wonder produced by GW, but ~$30 gets you 20 customizable models and all the kits are cross-compatible. That's assuming of course you don't just want to buy the book and use what you already have since it's minis agnostic by design.

Sorry for the stump speech I just really like his rules.

Stargrave's first expansion also has campaigns for fighting Space Zombies and Bug Hunts (complete with a rule for motion tracker blips) and the next one is I believe some kind of space treasure hunt.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Sold! Thankfully I have two crews ready to start with 😃

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Lumbermouth posted:

Basically your captain and first mate are the only members of your crew who actually level up (via a shared XP pool) and can suffer injuries etc. the rest of your crew are considered fairly expendable and essentially have fixed gear (iirc you can give them 1 item each but it either has to be general equipment or an upgraded version of a weapon they normally have).

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Zone Raiders is also worth looking into in the indie sci fi skirmish objective-gameplay campaign system with progression and wounds etc.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Indolent Bastard posted:

You are completely correct, but the issue is their luxury pricing has finally pushed me out. The last thing I bought after a decade of not buying GW was the Octarus box. I got it at 20% off and sold the Krieg for a good price and still feel like the orks and terrain were fairly pricey. I will be shocked if another kit or box tempts me based on current prices.

Totally understandable, and I wasn’t trying to fault anybody for thinking it’s just too drat much.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I love NM, but there's no denying that with it (and any other GW product), you're going to pay a luxury tax. Removing terrain from the equation, if you and a friend are brand new to NM and don't buy any of the big boxes, you'll need the following:

1x Core rulebook - ~$60 (This assumes you don't go to Yaktribe and DL the Community Edition)
2x Gang Books - ~$100 (Assuming you and the friend don't want to run the same gang)
1x Dice set - ~$25 (Assuming you can get one, as GW only does limited runs outside of the core big boxes. You could fudge with D6's, if you know the facings)
1x Template set - $0 (I'm assuming you know someone who plays a GW game and has a set lying around)
2x Gang boxes - $94

Out of the gate, for two players, you're looking at $279 at MSRP. That's a lot to expect someone to drop on a game that, in all honesty, can get very confusing due to poor editing and conflicting rules between books (please GW, fix this in Ash Wastes!)

Frankly, to anyone interested in NM, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Community Edition from Yaktribe and giving the game a try that way - at least the gang models can be dropped into any weird future skirmish game without an issue. $50 and a free rulebook isn't too much of an ask for a new player, IMO. Also, the CE rules really aren't that different from the NM17 stuff (barring Ash Wastes) so it's not like a big jump between the two systems. TBF, I personally enjoy CE because the gangs are more scrappy dregs and less house armies with access to too much good equipment, as they are in NM17.

Lumbermouth posted:

It's not going to be nearly as robust (or confusing) as NM. The *grave games are lighter and more "real" skirmish games, and not as much RPG/skirmish hybrids.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I apologize if this gets too close to ~filez~, but is there any archive of Underworld cards like there is for Arkham Horror LCG or MtG or whatever? A lot of my gaming stuff got moved around when the main floor of my house flooded last year, and for the life of me I can't figure out where the hell my Mollog's Mob warband cards (or the angry little stalagmite mini - but whatever, that seems like kinda a fun sculpting project tbh) are. I only ever play at home with my wife so even just card text I could print off and toss in some sleeved Magic cards would be great. Not looking to pirate anything, I just wanna use that incredible Mollog mini in a game :(

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Totally understandable, and I wasn’t trying to fault anybody for thinking it’s just too drat much.

I know my dude, we are all just chatting. 🙂

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Rockman Reserve posted:

Underworlds cards

https://www.underworldsdb.com/ should do you.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

I'm trying to bolt the campaign rules on to Space Weirdos personally.

I like the dice system SW uses but it is a very light game that lacks much beyond pick up play. So I'm taking the necromunda campaign and just tagging it on as the after action part of a game.

We will see how it goes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Deadzone is also a great "Necromunda-like", but while it has campaign rules, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using them. Apparently 3rd edition even improved on them, but I think the majority of play still happens at the matched or competitive level, with people taking pre-designed teams and playing scenarios without progression.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is literally exactly what I was looking for and have no idea how I didn't find it through my Google efforts. :psyduck: I'ma chalk it up to sleep deprivation.

Thanks a million!!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I play Escher and don't provide terrain for my group so it's pretty easy to skip the Ash Wastes box, even before you get into the price. Unless you need the terrain or just CAN'T WAIT for stuff to be sold separately I don't know why you'd get it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rockman Reserve posted:

I apologize if this gets too close to ~filez~, but is there any archive of Underworld cards like there is for Arkham Horror LCG or MtG or whatever? A lot of my gaming stuff got moved around when the main floor of my house flooded last year, and for the life of me I can't figure out where the hell my Mollog's Mob warband cards (or the angry little stalagmite mini - but whatever, that seems like kinda a fun sculpting project tbh) are. I only ever play at home with my wife so even just card text I could print off and toss in some sleeved Magic cards would be great. Not looking to pirate anything, I just wanna use that incredible Mollog mini in a game :(

Pirate away IMO, they deliberately make older cards unobtainable.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Adding goon-made 5 Parsecs From Home into the mix. It has strong RPG / development focus with skirmish rules, and is setting agnostic so you can paste Necro in if you prefer. The big difference is it is coop/solo focussed.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Beffer posted:

Adding goon-made 5 Parsecs From Home into the mix. It has strong RPG / development focus with skirmish rules, and is setting agnostic so you can paste Necro in if you prefer. The big difference is it is coop/solo focussed.

I keep forgetting to pick that up. Thanks for the reminder.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I absolutely love Necromunda and I'm pumped for ash wastes content, but yeah, the game has a book problem, and a dice & cards problem.

Best bet is that as with the release of Dark Uprising and its related rulebook, they will very slightly reformat the core rules, maybe clarifying a couple FAQ type issues, but not re-balancing anything, then the book will have all the special campaign rules specific to the Ash Wastes. So you can use it as a rulebook, but if you want to play the original 'Dominion' Necromunda campaign which is more about controlling territory within an underhive, then you would still need the original rulebook, or if you want to play the 'Uprising' campaign based in a hive falling into chaotic revolution, you'd need the Dark Uprising rulebook.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Speaking of Underworlds cards & all that, I don’t know if this is a recent development or if they just didn’t post a community article about it, but GW seems to have put all the older Underworld Warbands (up to I guess Beastgrave?) on the “rotating models” list. I totally get tossing out some of the more generic teams, that were just random Orruks or Stormcast units, but that also includes war bands like the Nurgle swamp hag team & Mollog’s Mob.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 29, 2022

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mollog's Mob is extremely fun to paint and pretty fun to play, so I definitely recommend grabbing that.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Desfore posted:

Speaking of Underworlds cards & all that, I don’t know if this is a recent development or if they just didn’t post a community article about it, but GW seems to have put all the older Underworld Warbands (up to I guess Beastgrave?) on the “rotating models” list. I totally get tossing out some of the more generic teams, that were just random Orruks or Stormcast units, but that also includes war bands like the Nurgle swamp hag team & Mollog’s Mob.

To be clear, those aren’t underworlds boxes, it’s just the models without cards or tokens.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im super excited for my local games stores necromunda campaign.

Ive been casting a wide net to all the people trying to get them interested and it looks like well have a full and diverse roster of gangs to play against.

Any tips for a fresh Arbitrator?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cross posting a BFG fleet!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Lucinice posted:

I started buying Underworlds stuff just before the pandemic started and still haven't been able to play it more than twice. My local GW store is finally starting to do events again but now all my stuff is out of date. I'm wondering if I should buy Nethermaze when that's out or just go for the starter set.

Also, since this seems to have gotten passed by: By all accounts Nethermaze is a great box, with two warbands that are interesting to play, well-balanced against each other, and strong enough that you could bring either one into the broader game with no problem. The starter set is a bit cheaper, but only one of the warbands is really any good, and you miss out on the current season's rules wrinkles that would presumably be in use in store event games.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Which of the warbands in the starter is any good? Maybe I can pick up those models and cards on ebay.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lucinice posted:

Which of the warbands in the starter is any good? Maybe I can pick up those models and cards on ebay.

The Wraithcreepers.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Cross posting a BFG fleet!

These are nice. wd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Crackbone posted:

The Wraithcreepers.

I had to double check you didnt make this name up lol