Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

And then he died!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Murray: That's a cat??

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 26, 1934)

Peanuts (April 30, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 26, 1938)

Out Our Way (September 8-10, 1938)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I can’t find the pie.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

I can’t find the pie.

There isn't one today. Looks like just the UFO, crown, eyeball, dymanite and fish tail.

Complete list of available easter eggs: https://www.bizarro.com/secret-symbols

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (September 8-10, 1938)

I know that can't be a Dalek, but I can't figure out what else it's supposed to be.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's an old-style wood stove. We've seen a few of them in OOW, just never one on its side.

Why it's on its side in the parlor (with a potentially broken floorboard under it) is a whole other matter.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the son ... dragged it there with his teeth?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think they were moving it and it fell, cracking the son in the face on the way. There have been a number of stove moving strips.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Esplanade posted:

Trying to give this a slightly different spin:

:lol:

goatface posted:

I think they were moving it and it fell, cracking the son in the face on the way. There have been a number of stove moving strips.
From past OOWs, I think the stoves would come out in the winter and be put away in the summer. So, this being September, this would presumably be them bringing it out and having some kind of mishap.

F Minus

Mark Trail

A quick google tells me that beavers do sometimes chew through trees that fall on power lines, but not that they chew up the poles themselves. Also, areas with beavers are less prone to wildfires because they clean up brush.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

A regular broom would hurt too.

Andertoons

"I'm sorry! I couldn't help myself!"

Apartment 3-G

drat she went right to 'sociopath'.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Most adult humans do not behave this way. And while she might technically still have "teen" at the end of her age, she is really too old for this poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If she's still a teen she's like a week from turning 20! They're in their second year of college!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Night Visitors

And we're done with the Night Visitors archive! New strips come out once a week on Sundays.

Monya the Grey

End chapter 7

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

How long has this robot story been going on?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Food Safety for Cannibalism Comics

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It's weird seeing this kid in classic K&K knowing that he's gonna be human at some point. I kinda can't wait to see how that happened, but also I could be spending that brain space on like, learning another language or something.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Shadow Feb. 6-8, 1941

Margo doesn't gently caress around, drat.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Our Boarding House (November 17-19, 1921; spoilered for casual use of a racial slur in the second panel.)

Toonerville Folks (February 13-15, 1919)

Dok's Dippy Titanic (February 4, 1914 (the 3rd is missing in my source))

Little Lefty (June 18-21, 1936)

Did I mention they rolled out an entire comics page for the Sunday edition? Because that's definitely a thing.

Blondie (From Zero) in which WE CAN'T GET SENTIMENTAL AT CHRISTMAS. (December 24-26, 1931)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "180 - Jucika Arrives From A Summer Vacation" NSFW Nudity

"181 - Jucika Organizes Social Work"

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Monya :ohdear:

I already read this when you posted it in the webcomic thread but :ohdear:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True May 3, 1919

And He Killed! May 15, 1919

Cat Tales April 14, 1925

Oaky Doaks October 13, 1936

We know.

Mopsy December 21, 1937

Up Front April 2, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems July 2, 1952

Those Were the Days April 21, 1960

Wee Pals July 5, 1966

Dogbert March 28, 1967

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That last Oaky Doaks panel is probably an avatar waiting to happen.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I feel like Everett True still beating people up for not buying victory bonds is like the 1910's version of 2021 Funky Winkerbean strips about the pandemic being over.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What exactly was the post-armistice bond for, demobilization and war debts? Or did the artists draw a ton of these strips not knowing Germany was about to surrender?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks October 13, 1936

We know.

It reads, "Do you have stairs in your house?"!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kavak posted:

What exactly was the post-armistice bond for, demobilization and war debts? Or did the artists draw a ton of these strips not knowing Germany was about to surrender?

https://www.investopedia.com posted:

What happened to war bonds after the war?

After the end of World War II, War Bonds became known as Series E bonds. The U.S. government continued issuing Series E bonds until 1980 when Series EE bonds replaced them.

e;
Wrong war lol.

quote:

A final, fifth release of Liberty Bonds occurred in April 1919; only they were dubbed “Victory Bonds” to celebrate the end of World War I.

e2;
Oh and...

quote:

Liberty Bonds in the 21st Century

Liberty Bonds re-emerged in the early 2000s, although these obligations were somewhat different animals: not federal Treasury bonds, but New York municipal bonds. Jointly issued by the New York City Housing Development Corporation and the New York State Housing Finance Agency from 2002-2006, with a $1.2 billion contribution from the federal government, these private activity bonds were intended to help rebuild the part of Lower Manhattan, dubbed the Liberty Zone, that had been devastated by the World Trade Center terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 28, 2022

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's really the florist's fault for allowing the obviously confused teenager to buy a sunflower corsage, and for making one in the first place.

Also drat that's a giant sunflower. They couldn't have at least gone with a small one?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

Oof

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kavak posted:

The WWI cost a staggering amount of money, and the victors were no better off than the losers. Most allied countries owed these debts to the US, but the US couldn’t collect on those and was itself very cash poor. Victory Bonds were just the US government raising cash it could spend against future repayment, in the hopes post war would be a boom.

Things went somewhat differently.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm glad we don't got a prom tradition in my country, I mean high school was bad enough for me, the idea of trying to / being expected to get a date might've actually driven me suicidal. I was not in a good mental shape in high school... I feel prom time must be so bad for so many akward teeenagers in the US.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 21, 2000)

Anne's a weird character and the way Lynn and Elly treat her make me feel very frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm glad we don't got a prom tradition in my country, I mean high school was bad enough for me, the idea of trying to / being expected to get a date might've actually driven me suicidal. I was not in a good mental shape in high school... I feel prom time must be so bad for so many akward teeenagers in the US.

You go stag in a large group it’s no big deal and is super common still.

I mean I never went stag, always had a date but plenty of other kids did there was no stigma at all.