Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
e: This thread title always screws me up when I search for this thread, which isn't in either AI or BFC :colbert:

Proposed Budget: ~$6000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Smallest car with a decent tow rating, ideally 3500lbs. Seems like a handful of compact suvs and crossovers fit the bill.
How will you be using the car?: We're looking for a pop up camper and need something that'll tow it. Occasional city driving too just to supplement our one car.
What aspects are most important to you?: Price and tow rating for me. Maximum boxiness for my wife.

So far I've come across the Jeep Liberty, the Xterra, and the Escape. We used to have an Equinox, so I know an older one of those would handle the towing no problem. I'd love suggestions on others though. To stay in my budget, I've been looking at cars that are 15+ years old with 150k+ miles on them, and I was wondering if it's a bad idea to be considering such old cars? Am I just asking for constant problems given the age and mileage, or could I expect to keep them running past 200k?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Old GMC 3500 work van?

Edit: you said smallest but think of all the stuff you can haul!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Baronash posted:

e: This thread title always screws me up when I search for this thread, which isn't in either AI or BFC :colbert:

Proposed Budget: ~$6000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Smallest car with a decent tow rating, ideally 3500lbs. Seems like a handful of compact suvs and crossovers fit the bill.
How will you be using the car?: We're looking for a pop up camper and need something that'll tow it. Occasional city driving too just to supplement our one car.
What aspects are most important to you?: Price and tow rating for me. Maximum boxiness for my wife.

So far I've come across the Jeep Liberty, the Xterra, and the Escape. We used to have an Equinox, so I know an older one of those would handle the towing no problem. I'd love suggestions on others though. To stay in my budget, I've been looking at cars that are 15+ years old with 150k+ miles on them, and I was wondering if it's a bad idea to be considering such old cars? Am I just asking for constant problems given the age and mileage, or could I expect to keep them running past 200k?

What region are you located in?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I’m in North Carolina

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Baronash posted:

I’m in North Carolina

Ah ok, I'm in New England and eventually selling an old Grand Cherokee that fits your specs but it's not outstanding enough to move that far I think.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

That Works posted:

Ah ok, I'm in New England and eventually selling an old Grand Cherokee that fits your specs but it's not outstanding enough to move that far I think.

Bummer about the distance. Thanks for suggesting the Grand Cherokee though, I hadn't been looking at it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend’s 2010 forester just died. Gonna price an engine replacement which is probably not something I’d even look at in normal times. I can’t wait to try and find her something in the worst time to buy a car in the history of cars. Luckily I have too many cars and I’m going to get my 2007 Prius out to her ASAP.

Is it even worth seriously looking at used cars or is finding a cheap base model new whatever the way to go?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
even cheap base model stuff is relatively expensive and not necessarily available

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

From what I've seen if you can afford to wait a while the absolute best thing to do is negotiate on a new vehicle that's in the production pipeline but not yet near delivery. Lot of places are more willing to haggle on a vehicle that's not in their possession yet. Once they've got it and it's on the lot they'll put a big markup on it.

And it's better to do it on a vehicle that isn't normally heavily discounted. People are kinda throwing around the notion that paying MSRP isn't a bad deal right now and that very much depends on precisely what you're paying MSRP on. MSRP for a Tacoma right now is a great deal. MSRP for a Ram 1500 is probably still a pretty terrible deal because it's normally trivial to get 5 figure discounts on them.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 27, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Car buying services can be worth it too. I paid 100 or 150 bucks and got my Tacoma for (I forget exactly) 13-1400 below sticker. Didn't have to do poo poo really.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Car buying services can be worth it too. I paid 100 or 150 bucks and got my Tacoma for (I forget exactly) 13-1400 below sticker. Didn't have to do poo poo really.

Is whatever costco does worth it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

even cheap base model stuff is relatively expensive and not necessarily available

Yeah, this I already knew just from driving past car dealerships. Looking at used options it might be worth the wait since it seems like you're only getting an 8 year old car with 75k+ miles if you want to spend less than $20k. I'd be fine buying her something like that if it was still like $10-12k but that's not reality right now.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

bird with big dick posted:

MSRP for a Ram 1500 is probably still a pretty terrible deal because it's normally trivial to get 5 figure discounts on them.

Worth it to finally be able to say "This is a Dodge!"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I need a new car since my 2010 Ford Fusion has completely poo poo the bed.
Proposed budget: Around 20k but could go higher
New or used: Probably should go used but good lord I don't know anything other than that everything is expensive now.
How will you be using the car: I live in Northern NJ though my commute is local and pretty short though I probably want something I can slap like a bike rack and haul more stuff than my old fusion. I'm really not into the gizmos and gimmicks though I should probably should get something with like a backup camera.
What aspects are important to you: Handles hills and snow well, gets good mpg and is easy to take care of.
Body style: something that can fit into a garage and I don't need or want a truck.
Fire away!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Congrats on your Prius

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KillHour posted:

Congrats on your Prius

I feel like we should go back to when we asked people to justify why a Prius wouldn't work for them. Could just change it to "Buy whatever Toyota Hybrid you like best"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I feel like we should go back to when we asked people to justify why a Prius wouldn't work for them. Could just change it to "Buy whatever Toyota Hybrid you like best"

Probably availability, TBH. But you could even open it up to "any Japanese or Korean hybrid" and probably be fine.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

KillHour posted:

Congrats on your Prius

:negative: it keeps happening.
I probably want something a little roomier I dunno.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

skipdogg posted:

I feel like we should go back to when we asked people to justify why a Prius wouldn't work for them.

I mean, for the longest time it was flat out the ugliest car sold in the US.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

:negative: it keeps happening.
I probably want something a little roomier I dunno.

Congrats on your Rav4 hybrid.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Congrats on your Prius

As someone that bought a lovely beater Prius, it really is the perfect type of vehicle for the majority of the driving public. I loving hate it but I'm not the general driving public. The sad truth is that once I've got my girlfriend in something new and this Prius goes to her kid I'll probably grab another one for my highway beater because they can still be found relatively cheap.

On that note, after browsing used stuff for the past day and a half I don't see how I buy used unless I flat out can't get something new, even with a bit of a wait. This poo poo is just completely ridiculous.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So the BWM thread is anecdotally reporting that auto lenders are getting desperate, is the weather changing on auto loans?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

So the BWM thread is anecdotally reporting that auto lenders are getting desperate, is the weather changing on auto loans?

I read that thread and have no idea what you're referring to. Can you give me a hint?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Motronic posted:

I read that thread and have no idea what you're referring to. Can you give me a hint?

Sorry, I checked again and it was the Stock Trading thread:

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 28, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Well, all lenders are "getting desperate". Originators are compensated based on selling loans, rates are going up so people aren't just coming to them for refinancing like they have been for the last year plus so yes, these originators are trying to drum up business because they're losing income.

Not sure what that does for someone looking to borrow other than getting more marketing/calls directed at them if they express any sort of interest in any loan product.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

One and done

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd hoped it might mean sales were dropping, and that does seem be true for the last couple months, but it also seems like that drop is insignificant compared to anctipated new supply shortages, this time from the war in Ukraine.

Guess I was looking at tea leaves and hoping in vain.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you wanna know if sales are dropping why don't you look at sales data and days of inventory data rather than reading a single specific post on these dead gay comedy forums and making some poo poo up from it

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you wanna know if sales are dropping why don't you look at sales data and days of inventory data rather than reading a single specific post on these dead gay comedy forums and making some poo poo up from it

Because that is not how post is made.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:justpost:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm gonna take some cars for a test drive this weekend I think.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I really dove into trawling through car listings over the weekend in my continuing search for a light-ish duty tow vehicle. I came across the Cherokee while looking at other Jeeps, and kind of fell down a rabbit hole of watching videos and reading forum discussions about them. Aesthetically, it's exactly what Mrs. Baronash wants, and my mechanic buddy can't stop raving about the engine. I was mostly looking at 2wd models, because people seem to leave them stock or at least much closer to it, and we're in NC currently so snow isn't a big concern. And the purchase price is low enough that it'd definitely leave some cash budgeted for maintenance items.

I'm wondering though if hot summers, a couple thousand pound popup, and longer camping trips would run a car like this to an early grave? Are they still a good buy if I'm okay with doing maintenance, but not necessarily seeking out a car just for that purpose?

And I'll definitely die in a crash in one of these, right?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 2, 2022

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The ZF 9 speed transmission is awful to drive, albeit not mechanically unreliable as far as I know.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Baronash posted:

I really dove into trawling through car listings over the weekend in my continuing search for a light-ish duty tow vehicle. I came across the Cherokee while looking at other Jeeps, and kind of fell down a rabbit hole of watching videos and reading forum discussions about them. Aesthetically, it's exactly what Mrs. Baronash wants, and my mechanic buddy can't stop raving about the engine. I was mostly looking at 2wd models, because people seem to leave them stock or at least much closer to it, and we're in NC currently so snow isn't a big concern. And the purchase price is low enough that it'd definitely leave some cash budgeted for maintenance items.

I'm wondering though if hot summers, a couple thousand pound popup, and longer camping trips would run a car like this to an early grave? Are they still a good buy if I'm okay with doing maintenance, but not necessarily seeking out a car just for that purpose?

And I'll definitely die in a crash in one of these, right?
Which year of Cherokee are you talking about? Like an XJ? I wouldn’t recommend it….yes the 4.0 engines are solid but the XJ not very reliable in many different ways.

if you have a mechanic buddy who knows them it’s not a horrible idea I guess but most people buying them are working on them themselves constantly now.

Yeah Safety rating is pretty bad.

You’re also going to want to make sure the suspension/frame isn’t rusted to bits but even if it isn’t you’re probably going to need to fix old bushings and axle seals etc. The rear end on those is very susceptible to death wobble and otherwise grenading the gears and believe me that is not a fun or inexpensive time to either drive or nail down what is causing it.

The dashboard switches such as hvac also have lovely wiring harnesses that get too hot and fail a lot too.

The newer Cherokees I know nothing about

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah the answers here are going to vary widely depending on which Cherokee you're talking about.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Sorry, the XJ.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yes, crash ratings are going to be poo poo, fuel mileage is poo poo, and it will be slow and loud.

97-01 XJs have the updated interior, with 1999 being a sweet spot since it has as many updates as possible without getting the crack-prone head found on 00-01 XJs (as well as every 4.0 WJ/TJ from 00 to early 02).

2WD/4WD isn't really going to have that much impact on how ragged it is, you're looking for condition over everything else since these are 20+ year old vehicles. Also, there is basically no fuel economy and absolutely no ride quality benefits with 2WD because Jeep literally just used a beam axle on 2WD XJs - it's actually pretty trivial to convert a factory 2WD to 4WD.

The 4.0 absolutely has a reputation for strength but they are by no means unkillable, and again, you're looking at vehicles that are at least two decades old and probably have well over150k miles on them. The plus side is that short of running them completely dry on water and oil, it is difficult to damage the engine to the point where it won't run - it'll just rattle and tap like hell.

My '02 TJ has been a lot of work, but some of that is TJ-specific (cracked rear suspension mounts that I just had to use as justification to upgrade to an 8.8), some of that is self-inflicted (swapped in a used transfer case that the PO had put way too much RTV on and murdered every bearing in it), and some is "this is a 20 year old Mopar, what did you expect" (needed a new driver's seat, needed a whole new cooling system and timing chain).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

As a former 12 year old mopar car owner I shudder to think what a 23 year old mopar car experience is like … especially late 90s early 2000s mopar…

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Aside from the mentioned efficiency (lol) and safety (lol) issues, unless you wrench as a hobby or have a shade-tree friend to lean on, I would not.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love XJs and really miss my 98, but unless also love XJs already I don't think it's a great choice. Ten years ago maaaybe, but not now. Also, at least around here the prices on ones that are actually nice has being going up a bit because they're getting more scarce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

What's a more modern option that would have some of the same benefits? Something simple that's cheap and can be kept running with DIY maintenance? Something I did like while researching the XJ was the sheer volume and quality of information that was out there on diagnosing and repairing issues. That seems like a really useful perk, compared to cars I've had in the past where the only video about a particular fix was filmed handheld at 320p and cut past the important parts because they couldn't film and use both hands at the same time.