Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

what happened to the other Rescue Rangers? Wasn't there supposed to be, like, an actual cartoon reboot of the old cartoon, featuring the big moustache mouse and the geek gurl mouse and... the fly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
arthouse will survive by including five-seconds cameos of bootleg Spider-Man in every movie

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

loquacius posted:

what happened to the other Rescue Rangers? Wasn't there supposed to be, like, an actual cartoon reboot of the old cartoon, featuring the big moustache mouse and the geek gurl mouse and... the fly?
Monterey Jack has a crippling cheese addiction, Gadget still missing. If I had to guess I'd say she's in the eastern block, by which I mean dead, although not necessarily in a grave.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

(b) it kind of seems like Mulaney and Samberg are just playing themselves, with unrelated cartoon chipmunks on screen

that's celebrity voice acting for ya!

(and to the credit of both of them, the studio doesn't want them to do character voices. They want them both to noticeably be themselves, so that parents recognize them and go "hey that's the guy I like" so that they know they should enjoy it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

RandolphCarter posted:

quoting the future

BLOW IT UP

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1446151707029917697

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

extremely felt

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Substandard posted:

I hear George Miller knows something about directing an action movie with a bunch of cars. They should see what he is doing. I want Fast and Furious: Fury Road.

he's making a furiosa movie starring anya taylor joy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

astonished that warner brothers would pull the plug on tbs when theyre producing high grade content like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo7KxTQJtT8

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

loquacius posted:

having actually watched the trailer now, (a) god that looks horrible, and (b) it kind of seems like Mulaney and Samberg are just playing themselves, with unrelated cartoon chipmunks on screen

Chip being hand-drawn and Dale being CGI is an interesting idea but the trailer itself wrung all the novelty out of it that really exists

literally the only reason I am at all interested in this is because there were leaks that said that it will have the ugly CGI Sonic as a gag in it and I am curious to see what they do with that, if the leaks are real ofc

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

astonished that warner brothers would pull the plug on tbs when theyre producing high grade content like this

where will samantha bee go now????

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

where will samantha bee go now????

Trying to re-segregate America takes up most of her time these days anyway.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

it’s wild that after John Stewart left there were immediately 4 different shows with daily show alumni that were “what if the daily show stopped doing jokes.” including the daily show itself lol

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
yeah but I imagine if you were to go back today and watch old Stewart-era daily show it'd also be pretty lame

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

josh04 posted:

this is twilight erasure

I remember the fall of 07, so after the last HP book had come out, and the women in my friends circle were all talking about Twilight. I felt like I was in an after credit scene where they introduce a new villain.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Trying to re-segregate America takes up most of her time these days anyway.

Can you expand?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Can you expand?

she and her also-correspondent husband got really involved in local manhattan school board politics like a decade ago to lobby to keep poor kids out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i say swears online posted:

she and her also-correspondent husband got really involved in local manhattan school board politics like a decade ago to lobby to keep poor kids out

Yes specifically NYC was trying to integrate some school districts. So they lobbied against allowing poor poc kids from going to the same school as their kids.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/advice-jason-jones-upper-west-side-parents-dont-talk-press/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
weekly reminder that being in favor of segregated schools is now the correct anti racist viewpoint and if you want kids of color to be bused to other schools you're an agent of white supremacy

one phrase i liked seeing is that desegregation is a 'historic harm' that needs to be fixed

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 18:10 on Apr 27, 2022

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

i say swears online posted:

Specifically, they fought multiple attempts to desegregate the de-facto segregated New York school districts.

edit: gently caress, beaten

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Casey Finnigan posted:

yeah but I imagine if you were to go back today and watch old Stewart-era daily show it'd also be pretty lame

it is but there were still better jokes than Trevor era who just sucks poo poo. Stewart is a bad lib but he was and still is a very charismatic talker which can carry being patently unfunny further than it has any right to.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Colbert's writing team was actually talented. good use of puns

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why didnt he bring them to his late night show which is terrible mostly due to a lack of puns

well that and colberts actual personality being boring as poo poo compared to his goofy faux fox news personality

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i see someone else watched perry mason

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I like Hasan Minhaj.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

why didnt he bring them to his late night show which is terrible mostly due to a lack of puns

well that and colberts actual personality being boring as poo poo compared to his goofy faux fox news personality

yeah I think the second point is important, as well as being anchored to a 'safe' network. I gave it a week when he first started then haven't watched since

amazing that I don't even see clips of these shows that went viral on youtube or fb. they're a black hole

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

if you like the northman you're a nazi (i'm seeing it saturday and hope i don't like it)

https://twitter.com/ludohistory/status/1518968921868705800
https://twitter.com/ISASaxonists/status/1518973705912832001

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I like Hasan Minhaj.

unfortunately he got cancelled for making fun of modi and jeopardizing netflix in india

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Xaris posted:

it is but there were still better jokes than Trevor era who just sucks poo poo. Stewart is a bad lib but he was and still is a very charismatic talker which can carry being patently unfunny further than it has any right to.

It also helps that the daily show started out as just a general parody of news programs/weekend update style joke show. IIRC it wasn’t until a few years into the Bush era that it started taking itself seriously and trying to bundle real talking points into the satire format.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I think Gadget is cancelled now.

https://www.trendhunter.com/trends/gadget-hackwrench

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

Nasim Pedrad is a 40 year old playing a 14 year old and it doesn't seem like this is part of the bit

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

dude this has been a thing since the 90s

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gently caress

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
drat nazis like a movie about a badass viking? shocking

depending on how badass the viking is the movie might still be good though

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I bet at least one nazi likes every movie ever made

even American History X

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Bro Dad posted:

dude this has been a thing since the 90s

Yeah i know I've just decided to advance the angle that the reason Gadget Hackwrench isn't in the new Chip and Dale movie is because sacred Disney, our high priest or whatever that one tweet said, is making a bold stance against Putin and his servants

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
*turning to my friend as the last trailer before the northman ends* "This movie better reclaim Medieval History from the White Supremacists, dude."

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If nazis like something no matter the context it is bad and you aren't allowed to like it, sorry that's the rules

*points to pepe the frog* cancelled forever. Kill the artist.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Justin Tyme posted:

If nazis like something no matter the context it is bad and you aren't allowed to like it, sorry that's the rules

You can pry Parsifal from my cold dead hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Why are the Disney/Funko/Marvel people identifying so hard, not only with the art, but with the brands?

I get that they don’t mind that these are popcorn movies that are entertaining, familiar, I guess comfortable and safe. That’s not a bad thing, sometimes you just want to have fun at the movies. I’m wondering why they go on to make an identify out of it.

Is it a genre thing? A certain kind of storytelling? The aesthetic?