Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

hexwren posted:

Beck - morning phase

Hell yeah. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

hexwren posted:

roxy music - s/t

A good choice.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My Tortoise pick is TNT, even dragged myself out to Pitchfork Midwinter a couple years back to see them play it front-to-back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WGb_9UW6EU

Aaaaaaand I just nabbed a ticket to one of the four shows they're doing. :slick:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 24, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Ordered a record from Amazon. Never had an issue before. This time for some reason they decided to send it to me in a plastic bag instead of a box. Sometimes they do the boxes overboard, sending it in a huge box 10 times the size of the record with tons of padding. Of course, being delivered in a bag, the case was bent the gently caress up. So I exchanged it with Amazon, and even spoke with a customer service rep to make sure the replacement was sent in a box. Got the replacement today, in a bag, damaged again. Not as bad as the first time, but I'm tempted to keep on exchanging it until I get an undamaged copy. Thoughts?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Keep on exchanging then never use them for records again. Then once sent me a hard disk in a wrap designed for a paperback.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Never not gently caress Amazon.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arcella posted:

Anyone going to RSD tomorrow? I work overnight but I may stop by the spot closest to me, mostly the Delvin Larmarr Organ Trio and the Rick Astley repress are my main two interests.

Though there's a record show here at the end of the month I've been saving my record $$$ for.

I wwnt along to Assai in Edinburgh , they didn't have the Burning Hell 7" I wanted but picked up the Frightened Rabbit EP, the reissue of Pedestrian Verse - Frightened Rabbit, Skinty Fia - Fontaines DC and the first Porridge Radio album. Wife picked up STN MTN - Childish Gambino.

Pedestrian Verse being on the incredibly novel black vinyl.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Crain posted:

Get a U-turn Orbit then. You can pick and choose tons of custom options, the basic version is perfectly good to start with and isn't that much.

Getting a "quality" vintage turntable that's in good working order will be either very expensive or time consuming looking for one at a decent price. And considering you're not even sure what to go for, you're going to be having an even harder time of it.

Thank you for the help! I’m still looking at the one you suggested but I was telling my dad about getting into vinyl and he had an old component stereo setup. Pretty much all of it has been sold or given off over the years besides his turntable and tuner. He’s letting me have the turntable which is a fully automatic deal where everything works a Denon DP-45F so I’m gonna look into that first before buying the U-Turn Orbit

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Thank you for the help! I’m still looking at the one you suggested but I was telling my dad about getting into vinyl and he had an old component stereo setup. Pretty much all of it has been sold or given off over the years besides his turntable and tuner. He’s letting me have the turntable which is a fully automatic deal where everything works a Denon DP-45F so I’m gonna look into that first before buying the U-Turn Orbit

No harm in trying it. I used my dad’s old Sony PS-LX2 for about 8 years until just recently when it seemingly just went to hell and never came back. My advice is to not sink too much into the thing though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That’s a great turntable. You’re not getting an affordable new deck better than that, definitely not an entry level U Turn.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Keep on exchanging then never use them for records again. Then once sent me a hard disk in a wrap designed for a paperback.

bigman.50grand posted:

Never not gently caress Amazon.

I ended up reaching out to customer service this morning. They offered a returnless refund, so I'm keeping the record, and getting my money back. Which works for me. It's only the cardboard that's bent, the vinyl record itself seems to be in fine working order. I'll test it out a little later this morning. If it's messed up also, I'm no longer out any money.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

That’s a great turntable. You’re not getting an affordable new deck better than that, definitely not an entry level U Turn.

Yeah this looks like a pretty fancy deck.

quote:

When no record is present on the turntable, the tonearm won't function, thereby protecting the stylus tip from any potential damage.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Nihonniboku posted:

Ordered a record from Amazon. Never had an issue before. This time for some reason they decided to send it to me in a plastic bag instead of a box. Sometimes they do the boxes overboard, sending it in a huge box 10 times the size of the record with tons of padding. Of course, being delivered in a bag, the case was bent the gently caress up. So I exchanged it with Amazon, and even spoke with a customer service rep to make sure the replacement was sent in a box. Got the replacement today, in a bag, damaged again. Not as bad as the first time, but I'm tempted to keep on exchanging it until I get an undamaged copy. Thoughts?

I had the exact same experience when I ordered My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy when it was around $30. Decided against ordering any vinyl from them again after having positive experiences on other records at good prices. Fortunately the return process is simple and I could take it to Kohls and they give you a coupon for $5 off an in store purchase.

At this point I won’t order records from Amazon anymore, and I’m not going to renew prime when it’s up with the price increase. Just not worth it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Schremp Howard posted:

I had the exact same experience when I ordered My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy when it was around $30. Decided against ordering any vinyl from them again after having positive experiences on other records at good prices. Fortunately the return process is simple and I could take it to Kohls and they give you a coupon for $5 off an in store purchase.

At this point I won’t order records from Amazon anymore, and I’m not going to renew prime when it’s up with the price increase. Just not worth it.

I've never had the issue before, most records I've gotten from them have come just fine. I try and order directly from the artist, the label, or local stores first. This record, though, the label wanted $15 for shipping, whereas Amazon was free with my prime delivery.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Yeah that was generally my use for it too. I know some people here have mentioned getting a huge box for a single lp with a bubble mailer thrown in, but my previous orders were in LP mailers and if not, packaged decently.

Like you I want to buy locally or from the artist/label, but I’m a sucker for deals (I ordered way too much stuff years ago when sears of all places had an amazing selection of items with stupid good prices). But no more Amazon after this.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CaptainBeefart posted:

Very nice, never heard this until now.

The Ex rules, too. Not sure if their stuff from the 80s would be your scene, but from the 90s onward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfskVxCn_qo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMDwHvwhUH0

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I had the same experience this weekend with amazon. Bought Animal Collective's Fall Be Kind for really cheap and it arrived in a bag with bubblewrap. Corner is supremely jacked up but the record plays fine so I am leaning towards keeping it.

Also got this playboi carti bootleg

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

quote:

DATE: April 25, 2022

TO: Our Valued Members and Community

SUBJECT: VMP Announces New Audiophile-Grade Vinyl Pressing Plant

As VMP approaches a decade of creating transcendent, tangible experiences with music, we are thrilled to announce that we will be opening a new audiophile-grade pressing plant in Denver. The new plant is scheduled to open by the end of 2022 for production, tours and special events.

“Quality, control & availability are critical to maintaining and expanding our leadership position in the vinyl industry. With this in mind, we’ve decided to press records in a way that provides an incredible experience for our customers and visitors to our plant.” – VMP CEO, Cameron Schaefer

We are a passionate and growing community of explorers and storytellers who navigate between sounds that are lost and found to create unmatched experiences with music. This mission is VMP’s guiding light in our journey to build this pressing plant. We can’t wait to share the fruits of our labor with you in our continued adventures exploring music together.

this can only be good news right? I wonder if they'll open it to other labels or use it exclusively for themselves (surely the former, it'd basically be a money printing plant in this climate?)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

strap on revenge posted:

this can only be good news right? I wonder if they'll open it to other labels or use it exclusively for themselves (surely the former, it'd basically be a money printing plant in this climate?)

I only subscribed to VMP for 3 months, mostly for their reissue of Sigur Ros Ágćtis byrjun which I couldn't find anywhere else. I ended my subscription because there just wasn't a lot there that I actually wanted.

As long as their plant produces good quality records, I think it's a good thing. I know that pressing plants have been having issues with keeping up with demand, and that a lot of larger labels were pushing out smaller labels. People over at the subreddit had been complaining that as a result, VMP was being forced to have records printed at plants that weren't well known for their quality. This probably forced their hand into starting their own plant.

I'm sure they'll open it to other labels as its profitable, but I imagine they'll want to prioritize their stuff.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

This is exactly why I don't buy records from anything that isn't specifically a record selling thing.

strap on revenge posted:

This one is just designated strictly to Fleetwood Mac Rumors reissues.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Whew not looking forward to VMP selling their own hot stampers as a subscription option. Extra $500 a year so you’re one of the first hundred to receive the first off the press records.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

I only subscribed to VMP for 3 months, mostly for their reissue of Sigur Ros Ágætis byrjun which I couldn't find anywhere else. I ended my subscription because there just wasn't a lot there that I actually wanted.

I want that reissue so badly, but in total it would cost me over $100aud including getting it shipped to Australia :negative:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

strap on revenge posted:

Yeah one of their employees said on Reddit that they’d have some partners they’d work with for pressing records in addition to their own stuff. I can see them working with Third Man for example.

But overall I’m feeling optimistic. We desperately need more pressing plants and the guy VMP hired to run theirs came over from QRP so it bodes well with having decent quality standards.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

strap on revenge posted:

I want that reissue so badly, but in total it would cost me over $100aud including getting it shipped to Australia :negative:

I'm pretty sure I saw other prints of it for cheaper than that on discogs. Is it cheaper to ship to Australia for VMP? Or can you sell a couple pints of blood to pay for the shipping costs?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

AUS shipping is hell to and from. So many records I see pop up on discogs with reasonable prices from AUS that explode in price because of shipping.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I've seen several Discogs seller pages that just straight up say "Does not ship to AUS", I guess that explains that. That's such a bummer, I'm sorry.

Has it always been like that, or is it a recent thing?

In other news, I got Fantastic Damage by El-P today. :getin:

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 26, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Read After Burning posted:

I've seen several Discogs seller pages that just straight up say "Does not ship to AUS", I guess that explains that. That's such a bummer, I'm sorry.

years ago before COVID and the vinyl resurgence it wasnt this bad, but it steadily got worse as the US Postal Service lost funding and I guess at some point that had a knock on effect with pricing world wide and then COVID just knocked everything in the stratosphere.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dorium posted:

years ago before COVID and the vinyl resurgence it wasnt this bad, but it steadily got worse as the US Postal Service lost funding and I guess at some point that had a knock on effect with pricing world wide and then COVID just knocked everything in the stratosphere.

USPS didn't lose funding, a certain presidential candidate got concerned that mail in voting would cost him the election, so he ordered his appointed head of the postal service to cripple the system. But yes, it had its repercussions.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

In other news, I got Fantastic Damage by El-P today. :getin:

when I started buying records about 10 years ago, it would cost like $15 USD for USPS to ship a double LP here but now it's $30 USD, and jumps up to $50 USD if it hits 3lbs, then $100 USD at 4lbs. the Aus dollar was also at parity back then, so now that its like 75 US cents per Aus dollar it gets out of hand fast.

pretty much the only countries who still ship relatively cheaply are Japan and Germany, although a lot of bigger companies (like Juno records in the UK)and record shop x in Finland) post records for under $15-20aud

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

At the beginning of the pandemic the Australian dollar poo poo the bed so I got a couple records I otherwise wouldn't have been able to obtain.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

well if any of you guys are desperate for records from here I would happily act as a middleman and post in bulk if there's something in it for me as well. I can post probably up to 8 double LPs in a single box for about $70 US

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

USPS didn't lose funding, a certain presidential candidate got concerned that mail in voting would cost him the election, so he ordered his appointed head of the postal service to cripple the system. But yes, it had its repercussions.

USPS is still less expensive than other carriers international unless it’s a big package. I think there’s a way simpler explanation that what you guys are getting at (global pandemic)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

strap on revenge posted:

well if any of you guys are desperate for records from here I would happily act as a middleman and post in bulk if there's something in it for me as well. I can post probably up to 8 double LPs in a single box for about $70 US

I do want a copy of Limp Bizkits - Significant Other. Only “cheap” copies are in Japan 🤔

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Oh yeah, if you have a turntable and it works, go with that. A Denon like that will serve you great, especially if your dad kept it in ok condition. Plus they're still in business so finding replacement parts if need be might not be too bad.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The universe does not want me to have a copy of No New York. Several months back I purchased a "VG+" copy from a discogs seller that sounds like sandpaper. So I bided my time until another cheap copy came around. I ended up winning it in an auction on ebay for a good price. It's a nice pristine copy.

But it got crushed in the mail and has a huge warp in it that makes it unplayable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dorium posted:

I do want a copy of Limp Bizkits - Significant Other. Only “cheap” copies are in Japan 🤔

Want this goon to now dedicate his life to sending out mailers just full of Significant Other. I would probably also buy one.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
My university's radio station was participating in Vinylthon for RSD (spinning only vinyl records for 55 hours), and because I'm a loser alumni that still can't let go of his college radio show here's me spinning stuff from my collection for 3 hours.

Yes I sound like a wreck (was trying to get the two turntables to actually function in the beginning and the next DJ was kicking me out at the end), but who cares gently caress it!

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

Nihonniboku posted:

I've twice had them just slap a shipping label on the shrinkwrap of the vinyl and ship it to me. I'm not super picky when it comes to corner dings, or even the occasional corner bend, but the first time order was absolutely trashed. Somehow the second order that was shipped without packaging arrived in pristine condition, but that feels like it was a minor miracle. Sometimes you can select the "ship in Amazon packaging" or "this item contains a gift" and they'll put it in an extra box which can be helpful. If you go through the order process see those options right before checkout, you might be better off cancelling the existing order, getting a refund, and seeing if you can help dictate what the packaging is on a new order.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

chairdoctor posted:

If you go through the order process see those options right before checkout, you might be better off cancelling the existing order, getting a refund, and seeing if you can help dictate what the packaging is on a new order.

That's a great tip, thanks. I'm not going to pretend I'm not going to order from Amazon again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I am a bit :ohdear: anticipating how Amazon Japan packaged those Nujabes records I ordered.