Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Any recommendations for a deep fryer? I have a Fry Daddy Plus and really don’t like it much, it doesn’t get super hot and the oil capacity is so small that for any reasonable quantity of food it crashes the temp so badly it’s not really getting a good fry.

I am tempted to just get a stovetop one? Tramontina has a nice stainless one. Not sure if controlling the temp like that is going to be tedious though.

https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-USA-Inc-80114-512DS/dp/B01MRKI7DU/

Or should I get a bigger electric fryer? Not super super thrilled about yet another single purpose appliance but maybe it’ll be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Paul MaudDib posted:

Any recommendations for a deep fryer? I have a Fry Daddy Plus and really don’t like it much, it doesn’t get super hot and the oil capacity is so small that for any reasonable quantity of food it crashes the temp so badly it’s not really getting a good fry.

I am tempted to just get a stovetop one? Tramontina has a nice stainless one. Not sure if controlling the temp like that is going to be tedious though.

Or should I get a bigger electric fryer? Not super super thrilled about yet another single purpose appliance but maybe it’ll be easier.

$89 seems like a lot of money for a dedicated fryer when you can use any stainless pot or Dutch oven

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

IMO the benrier is not worth buying at all

It’s like the default mandoline choice. What’s wrong with it?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

FYI, what you linked isn't stainless. It's aluminum with a non-stick interior coating. It's just the lid and included basket that are stainless.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

In two days I'm moving to a condo with a way nicer and way more modern kitchen (Yay). I've been looking at pullout shelves and that whole world of solutions to make it a nicer place to interact with. I'm seeing a lot of 'rev-a-shelf' priced somewhat well and seemingly decent quality, anyone using anything like this?

Also, where do you buy the wild setups I've seen online for corner cabinets with the multistage drawers that come out and all that? I've always thought some of them looked super interesting and clever but I can't find much when I'm looking.

Thanks!

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Flaggy posted:

Recs for a mandoline?

I've had a cheap Kyocera ceramic mandolin for a couple years and have been really happy with it. Only 4 thicknesses but that's never been an issue.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mandolins scare the poo poo out of me. If I can't shove it though the slicer on my food processor I look for a different recipe.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

In two days I'm moving to a condo with a way nicer and way more modern kitchen (Yay). I've been looking at pullout shelves and that whole world of solutions to make it a nicer place to interact with. I'm seeing a lot of 'rev-a-shelf' priced somewhat well and seemingly decent quality, anyone using anything like this?

Also, where do you buy the wild setups I've seen online for corner cabinets with the multistage drawers that come out and all that? I've always thought some of them looked super interesting and clever but I can't find much when I'm looking.

Thanks!

I have a couple rev-a-shelf pull out shelf items, mostly used for cans and one for cleaning stuff under the sink. No complaints about rev-a-shelf from me. Also I have some vertical spice pullout spice racks that are really really nice, but also really expensive.

https://www.verticalspice.com/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chemmy posted:

It’s like the default mandoline choice. What’s wrong with it?

its been okay for regular slicing (if you get the larger one) but i find the julienne blades are incredibly ineffective at their job.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks!

I have a rev-a-shelf blind corner optimizer. It works great.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

As a homeowner that poo poo is dead sexy.

I have a half lazy susan thing in one of my corners but there is a ton of wasted space and it's hard to get at. That looks way more useful and usable.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks!

I bought one of these that just happens to fit perfectly into my lower kitchen cabinets. It's not fancy, but it works a charm.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

extravadanza posted:

I have a couple rev-a-shelf pull out shelf items, mostly used for cans and one for cleaning stuff under the sink. No complaints about rev-a-shelf from me. Also I have some vertical spice pullout spice racks that are really really nice, but also really expensive.

https://www.verticalspice.com/

Thanks, we need some solution for this stuff, we had our spices on little shelves on the wall before but would prefer a proper rack.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Holy gently caress thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

its been okay for regular slicing (if you get the larger one) but i find the julienne blades are incredibly ineffective at their job.

The julienne blades are useless on benriner, yeah

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Steve Yun posted:

$89 seems like a lot of money for a dedicated fryer when you can use any stainless pot or Dutch oven

Can you fry in anodized aluminum? Not sure if there’s a limit on how hot you can get it, or if basically it wouldn’t be a problem before the oil started to smoke or ignite.

But yeah I guess that would be fine, just get a little stainless saucepan (or my anodized aluminum) and just get a stainless strainer for lifting out the fries.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That’s amazing and I am gonna look into those.

Is there a better solution for shelving/cabinets in general? I have the standard 90s era cabinets and I feel like things turn into a giant mess in no time flat unless you are extremely meticulous about re-organizing constantly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

drat I want one and also wish it wasn't $500

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can you fry in anodized aluminum? Not sure if there’s a limit on how hot you can get it, or if basically it wouldn’t be a problem before the oil started to smoke or ignite.

you can put teflon nonstick in the oven up to 500°f, which is more than i think you’d be deep frying at. anodizing is safe to much higher temps than are used in cooking.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Goodbye, bright red 1940s analog scales, hello new kd8000! Thanks for the recs.

God I missed being able to weigh things easily.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

horchata posted:

Misen currently has baking steels on sale for half off if anyone is interested (I'm assuming gigantic plates of steel is hard to gently caress up)

https://misen.com/collections/supply-chain-sale
I got in on this sale on 4/8 and placed an order and got immediate confirmation. My confirmation warned that due to delays with shipping partners (and not stock), my order could be delayed. As I have no immediate need for what I ordered, of course this was fine.

Yet, that shipping warning somehow caused them to wait 11 days to process the order when I received a shipping notice on 4/19.

As of now on 4/26, FedEx shows my shipment has been in MA since 4/22.

While in my experience FedEx doing an incredible job shooting itself in the dick for the past 5 years, is normal for Misen to take 11 days to process orders?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking to replace my mother's countertop convection oven. She had one for a few years by Cuisinart and used it fairly often. Mostly for like broiling chicken and stuff like that. Any suggestions? Looking to spend between $150-$250.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Cheesus posted:

I got in on this sale on 4/8 and placed an order and got immediate confirmation. My confirmation warned that due to delays with shipping partners (and not stock), my order could be delayed. As I have no immediate need for what I ordered, of course this was fine.

Yet, that shipping warning somehow caused them to wait 11 days to process the order when I received a shipping notice on 4/19.

While in my experience FedEx doing an incredible job shooting itself in the dick for the past 5 years, is normal for Misen to take 11 days to process orders?

Not necessarily, but the pandemic has been doing weird things to processing/shipping. In particular, it routinely takes several extra days (if not weeks) for FedEx to deliver stuff to me, so I wouldn’t say your experience is completely unprecedented. I ordered an office chair that was supposed to be delivered within in a week and between processing/shipping delays, I didn’t receive it for ~40 days. Same thing with a snowboarding balaclava.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Cheesus posted:

If it makes you feel better, I ordered mine on the 7th, didnt ship until the 11th, and didn't get here until the 19th so maybe? I know one of the reasons why it took so long was the label got unreadable at some point and they had to reprint it

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is Misen... good? The first time I ever heard of the brand was via ad on Facebook. Since half the crap on there is just rebranded stuff that exists already that they hope you won't google, I have negative associations with anything I learn about there. Looks like their main product is their carbon steel pans. Carbon steel is kinda mediocre as a cooking material. Its not particularly hard, non stick, rust proof, or thermally conductive. What is the appeal?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

um excuse me posted:

Is Misen... good? The first time I ever heard of the brand was via ad on Facebook. Since half the crap on there is just rebranded stuff that exists already that they hope you won't google, I have negative associations with anything I learn about there. Looks like their main product is their carbon steel pans. Carbon steel is kinda mediocre as a cooking material. Its not particularly hard, non stick, rust proof, or thermally conductive. What is the appeal?

carbon steel is popular for the same reasons cast iron is popular, but it’s lighter and heats up faster. the trade-off is the temperature drops more so it’s not as good for searing. it’s good actually but i’d just get it from lodge

misen makes knives too, they had a kickstarter followed by some high-profile problems with the early production runs where the blades were snapping in half. they seem to be better now and the review consensus seems to be “fine, if you like the aesthetic, nothing special.” there are better values in knives and they don’t make anything unique

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

um excuse me posted:

I was a backer for the Kickstarter for their original knife, and I also have their carbon steel pans and dutch oven. They're exactly what they aim to be: less than top of the line (but not by much) at prices that are only a little more than entry level. You can certainly buy better knives and pans, but not at their price point (not within $100 of their price point in some cases). They also stand behind their products-- I snapped the tip off my original knife (apparently a problem with the first production run) and they had me a new one inside a week.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm a Misen fan and they do have good customer service. I backed their Dutch oven kickstarter and they replaced the lid immediately after I reported a chip in the enamel out of the box. After my first use of the oven the enamel on the inside pitted a bit, and again they replaced it ASAP even though it wouldn't have any impact on its cooking ability so I gifted the "defective" oven and chipped lid to a friend.

Those are the only issues I've run into with their products and I have a bunch of them.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

The Midniter posted:

I'm a Misen fan and they do have good customer service. I backed their Dutch oven kickstarter and they replaced the lid immediately after I reported a chip in the enamel out of the box. After my first use of the oven the enamel on the inside pitted a bit, and again they replaced it ASAP even though it wouldn't have any impact on its cooking ability so I gifted the "defective" oven and chipped lid to a friend.

Those are the only issues I've run into with their products and I have a bunch of them.

frankly this kind of thing says to me “high defect rate, poor qc, and an inefficient business model of throwing cheap replacement product at anyone who complains rather than delivering something consistently high-quality in the first place” but a lot of people seem to be fine with (paying for) that

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Test Pattern posted:

I was a backer for the Kickstarter for their original knife, and I also have their carbon steel pans and dutch oven. They're exactly what they aim to be: less than top of the line (but not by much) at prices that are only a little more than entry level. You can certainly buy better knives and pans, but not at their price point (not within $100 of their price point in some cases). They also stand behind their products-- I snapped the tip off my original knife (apparently a problem with the first production run) and they had me a new one inside a week.

I've heard a lot of things about misen but I've never heard anyone say "The best product anywhere remotely near their price point" so I'm extremely skeptical of that statement

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
The only Misen thing I have is their Dutch oven, which is pretty great for the price I paid backing the Kickstarter. Can’t swear to any of their other stuff.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I haven't tried the Misen stuff but I can say that the carbon steel pan I have from Made In is solid. Wait for the 20% off sale though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

How many misen pans do you need before you start calling your kitchen your Misen place?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

booooo

booooooooooooooo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They may be "fine pans" but that's what you go to a homegoods or other seconds/defects source.

Buy a matfer, have it for life and know it's the best quality around.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Misen: both my knives snapped; my carbon steel pan warped; the nonstick pan was fine; the Dutch oven is great... better quality than Cuisinart, worse than Le C.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

[clearing throat and speaking distinctly into the microphone]

what's a matfer?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Not much, what's a matfer you?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

For yoga silly.

But for real they're very well built carbon pans. I have a super large one and an egg.5 size, love them both.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I liked my misen pans though my large carbon steel has some warping problems when hot.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

um excuse me posted:

Carbon steel is kinda mediocre as a cooking material. Its not particularly hard, non stick, rust proof, or thermally conductive. What is the appeal?

Given the right care, it's as non-stick as you can get as a non-disposable surface, which is important for me. It's not going to match up to teflon, but it can be reseasoned and maintained near-indefinitely. It's also cheaply available in a lot of places where heirloom or polished cast-iron isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I'm looking for a stainless steel replacement inner pot for my old Zojirushi 5.5 cup rice cooker, model NS-TGC10. Does anyone know if that exists, and if so, where to buy it?
I've found some places that seem to have replacement non-stick pots but I'd prefer to go stainless for this part if possible.