Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

This rework is happening because Overwatch as it stands is a poo poo game nobody really wants.

Removing the tank role and gameplay as it exists wouldn't turn Overwatch into Valorant, it would make it one step closer to being TF3, which is what got people hyped for it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It's funny you say that cuz watching this it looks like it's been turned into something kind of valoranty, except with only abilities and super low cooldowns and no economy. The balance in general seems really all over the place, though tbf I have zero clue how you balance this either

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's funny you say that cuz watching this it looks like it's been turned into something kind of valoranty, except with only abilities and super low cooldowns and no economy. The balance in general seems really all over the place, though tbf I have zero clue how you balance this either

I don't think it's Valorant at all still. Valorant is very much closer to CS than OW. It's CS with abilities. OW2 is still very far from being like CS.

Hard to say exactly how OW2 will play as I don't think we're seeing what meta play will look like yet, but I don't think it's going to feel like Valorant.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Weird question but does anyone know what's up with people who don't own OW1 and getting to play the beta? A friend of mine got invited via twitch and it's letting him install OW1 as it says on the blog, but there's no option to play OW2 instead like there is for me (a person who owns OW1). I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 27, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

I still haven't gotten in but what I've seen looks like balance is a mess with some tanks being a little bit bullshit.

Valorant is just CSGO with gimmicky hero abilities on long cooldowns, it's a relatively much slower paced game built around playing angles and everyone uses the same extremely lethal guns. Overwatch will never play like a tactical shooter that way, nor should it.

Hard CC being toned down and shields being at least partially removed is a huge step in the right direction tho, while Overwatch will never be and doesn't need to be a direct analog to TF2 it very much did need to be redesigned away from the shielded clusters dancing around until one side pressed Q hard enough paradigm that it's been stuck in for years.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The invites might just be getting sent out in waves and it hasn't arrived for them yet

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Splinter posted:

I don't think it's Valorant at all still. Valorant is very much closer to CS than OW. It's CS with abilities. OW2 is still very far from being like CS.

Hard to say exactly how OW2 will play as I don't think we're seeing what meta play will look like yet, but I don't think it's going to feel like Valorant.

you'll notice i put a whole pile of massive caveats on that statement. Call it what you will, they're clearly going for a punchier, much lower ttk, more conventional fps by removing barriers as much as possible and the meta of that is going to shake out into people playing positions in more conventional ways vs how the game played in barrierwatch. Which is very much how valorant plays: you have abilities that get you around some of the stalemates of tactical shooters. OW now has something similar, but the cooldowns are a lot lower/are infinite. idk how much it will look like valorant specifically, but idk what other game currently is filling that space of lower ttk FPS with powerful, low-cooldown abilities

like I don't disagree that 80% of valorants dna is csgo, but this is pretty unambiguously a step in that direction and blizzard has communicated as much in response to fans and pros asking for these changes for years now

for shits and giggles, turn down cooldowns in valorant to 3-8 seconds, give them unlimited uses, give weapons unlimited ammo and give it OW style spawns and I bet it plays fairly similarly.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Weird question but does anyone know what's up with people who don't own OW1 and getting to play the beta? A friend of mine got invited via twitch and it's letting him install OW1 as it says on the blog, but there's no option to play OW2 instead like there is for me (a person who owns OW1). I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

https://twitter.com/andybelford/status/1519433939592441856

Took a while for the option to pop up in the client for me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I assumed it was a backend issue like that, it's just been hard to confirm because obviously most people interested in trying the beta played OW1 so I haven't seen any new players confirm it worked for them.

E: yep it just popped up as I posted that. Nice.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 27, 2022

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So I got beta access via Twitch drop, claimed it (Accounts are linked, I just claimed Hearthstone and OW rewards earlier), restarted the launcher, checked for updates, yada yada yada, but the Beta does not appear in the "Game Version" dropdown.

I assume the system is getting swamped, or am I missing anything?
I'm on EU servers if it matters.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

mcbexx posted:

So I got beta access via Twitch drop, claimed it (Accounts are linked, I just claimed Hearthstone and OW rewards earlier), restarted the launcher, checked for updates, yada yada yada, but the Beta does not appear in the "Game Version" dropdown.

I assume the system is getting swamped, or am I missing anything?
I'm on EU servers if it matters.

It takes a while.

Also check that your launcher is up to date.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
about 30 minutes between claiming the drop and it showing up for me on AU/NZ servers if that helps anyone

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

two hours and still nothing

it is a sign

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Wheeee posted:

two hours and still nothing

it is a sign

Did you go into https://www.twitch.tv/drops/inventory and actually claim the drop once the 4 hours were over?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Hey OW2 has full 21:9 support... hopefully they don't rip it out.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Arzachel posted:

Did you go into https://www.twitch.tv/drops/inventory and actually claim the drop once the 4 hours were over?

seems my issue is not unique, others on reddit are reporting similar delays, tho many of them get it in an hour or so

e:

once again complaining on the internet pays off

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 28, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I've literally never played a game on PC other than a Sierra point-and-click adventure ~25 years ago, but the FOMO was hitting me real hard and I did get a beta key from Twitch, so I downloaded the Blizzard launcher thing and played a couple of OW2 matches.

I had hoped that I could hook up my PS4 controller, but that didn't work. I made the mistake of hitting F1 at some point in the first match and then could not figure out how to get rid of it for the entire match, so that was fun.

The second match I just played Widow and (basically) didn't move. Using a keyboard for movement and abilities was loving me up like crazy, but using a mouse for aim felt pretty good immediately. Since I think the game assessed my skill level as "literally not sentient" from the first game, the second game also seemed to be full of new people, and I ended up with a 17-0 K/D ratio. They went Pharah at one point and I got a body shot on her coming out of spawn, then I tried to grapple closer to her to gun her down. Instead, I accidentally grapple hooked, scoped, and headshot her from like three inches away in one frantic misclick and got the smooth-as-silk achievement for my efforts.

Fun stuff, but I'll wait for the beta to come to console.

edit: apparently the F1 thing is a bug.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 28, 2022

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The fundamental issue with Overwatch’s design is no one wants to play or tank or support. You can barely get them to play those roles in an MMO, let alone an fps!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

porfiria posted:

The fundamental issue with Overwatch’s design is no one wants to play or tank or support. You can barely get them to play those roles in an MMO, let alone an fps!

I like playing those because my aim sucks. So while DPS is fun to play, I'm very bad at it and sometimes just want to help the team win.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I like playing tank and support

I've enjoyed the couple of dps games I flexed into so far but I either am bullying people that can't hit a pharah or getting absolutely clowned on so obviously the match making is even less existent atm than OW1 QP. Haven't had a new map yet though

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

just played a game of push and the maps for it are great. Lots of verticality on the one I played (can't remember the name). I'm not sold on the new UI graphical style but the sound design for everything that has changed is top notch. I also just noticed they have an option (albeit not available rn) for unranked open queue which is awesome and something OW sorely needed

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

porfiria posted:

tank is the most played role right now

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

grieving for Gandalf posted:

tank is the most played role right now

yeah they made tanks fun. orisa is a blast. doomfist is a blast

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What does Doomfist do that makes him a tank? Tried him out in the training mode and he seems to be the same character but now he's labeled tank. He has a pretty small amount of HP

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Watched a few streams a doomfist seems a bit more mobile now. Not familiar with him at all in retail so i cant speak to changes (punch seemed yo be a much lower cd) but he looked like a blast.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Macaluso posted:

What does Doomfist do that makes him a tank? Tried him out in the training mode and he seems to be the same character but now he's labeled tank. He has a pretty small amount of HP

from what i can tell, tanks are now divided in 2 roles, one being "clobber and kill everyone while being unkillable yourself" and the other is "become reinhardt"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Macaluso posted:

he explicitly has a block button that protects against 90% of damage and increases his punch's power afterward

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Macaluso posted:

before he was basically a glass cannon where he could use his crazy mobility & high damage to one-shot people with combos or just get destroyed instantly

now he has higher health, does less damage, has a new defensive ability, and his mobility is changed a bit. pros are comparing his new playstyle to winston - he's now more about jumping in with his slam, disrupting people and soaking up damage (hopefully getting kills in coordination with the rest of the team), before escaping again with mobility.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Macaluso posted:

you gotta press all the buttons dude he's got one entirely new tanking ability

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Beta is good. Playing support is painful

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Beta is good. Playing support is painful

here's hoping overwatch 3 is the same as overwatch 2 but with 1 less support

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Minorkos posted:

here's hoping overwatch 3 is the same as overwatch 2 but with 1 less support

in Overwatch 6 in 2046 all characters will be DPS and the only game mode will be 1v1 duels

it will be game of the year

there will only be 5 new characters compared to right now

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Macaluso posted:

His new block, but he's more focussed on making space with his insane mobility rather than being a shield sponge.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Played for about 90 minutes. Tanks are too strong, ruins the game almost entirely

Here's hoping they do better for OW 3

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

BabyRyoga posted:

Played for about 90 minutes. Tanks are too strong, ruins the game almost entirely

Really? I felt like I was still getting melted frequently enough. Just requires more co-ordination now that you have two supports more focused on the one tank in fights.

Definitely slower paced than recent seasons though. That's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Sakara123 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 28, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

just played a game of push and the maps for it are great. Lots of verticality on the one I played (can't remember the name). I'm not sold on the new UI graphical style but the sound design for everything that has changed is top notch. I also just noticed they have an option (albeit not available rn) for unranked open queue which is awesome and something OW sorely needed

The new maps are all so much better. I commented a bit before but some old OW friends were watching me play and they all commented just how much stronger the new maps are - so much more open, even the non-Push ones. Meanwhile they mostly though the game looked like Old OW when playing on the OW1 maps, which I don't fully agree with since I think it still feels pretty different in 5v5 but it definitely feels worse. If they put their resources into new maps instead of new heroes I think it'd be huge, though I guess the majority of people are more interested in characters and they're certainly easier to advertise to drum up interest.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

BabyRyoga posted:

It’s mostly an Orisa problem

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Played a few games and all it did was remind me why I only play mystery heroes and ffa

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
where do i five stack with you nerds so i can stop getting queue times?

Wheeee posted:

It’s mostly an Orisa problem

pick zarya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Furious Lucio has stolen sonics famous line 'gotta go quick!!'