Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks.

I always try to get my voting out of the way as soon as I can to stop myself turning full wonk over it and deciding that, no, I really should vote under the line for every candidate again.

When I get notification of it going live, if it happens before pre-poll starts, I'll let you know. The site had all the HTV info for every electorate & senate ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://twitter.com/emeraldxmoon/status/1519203570351939584

turns out even greens voters can still be totally broken brained too, there are a million reasons to be mad at labor but this is about the stupidest and least real one i've ever seen

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

GoldStandardConure posted:

The Vote Greens website is likely to open on the 9th when pre-poll opens. It might be open before then, but if you can wait till the 9th then it will be up nation wide for sure.

Not much man, what’s up nation with you?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Bargearse posted:

Tudge is going to win my electorate in a loving landslide, so I'm going with 1) Greens 2) Labor, make the rest up as I go along, and dead last, Rebekah Spelman for United Australia

A whole electorate who love abusive cheaters? Interesting.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks.

I always try to get my voting out of the way as soon as I can to stop myself turning full wonk over it and deciding that, no, I really should vote under the line for every candidate again.

Voting under the line doesn't really do much honestly. Just slam those preferences above the line and go for a beer/snag/drink of choice/food of choice.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I'm looking forward to voting for the Greens, and then one of those weird centrist teal independents in the slim hope that Tim Wilson will be ejected from his seat and into the sun

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hambeet posted:

Not much man, what’s up nation with you?

its election season mate, get a nation up ya

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

lih posted:

turns out even greens voters can still be totally broken brained too, there are a million reasons to be mad at labor but this is about the stupidest and least real one i've ever seen

HTV cards are still pretty effective for your average disinterested voter - putting Greens 4th vs 2nd does make a big difference in preference flows.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The desiccated coconut himself is doing a photo op at the Kenmore Village shopping centre right now

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Konomex posted:

A whole electorate who love abusive cheaters? Interesting.

More like a whole electorate who overlook it because “economy”, but some true blue Aussie patriot has been going around and spray painting over his campaign posters, so who knows

lih
May 15, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

HTV cards are still pretty effective for your average disinterested voter - putting Greens 4th vs 2nd does make a big difference in preference flows.

where Labor puts the Greens on its lower house HTV cards makes no real difference to anything except for in the handful of seats in which the Greens have a chance of making it into the top 2 candidates ahead of Labor, which are obviously not the regional seats where Labor is putting Greens 4th on their cards, and even then, as long as the Greens are above the Liberals it doesn't matter

lih fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 28, 2022

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

The great Albo is unbeatable.

Albo the Magnificent.

A labor hero that many australians are already writing songs about.

I just got the ick

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

My forever mp is homebrand scomo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Testekill posted:

The desiccated coconut himself is doing a photo op at the Kenmore Village shopping centre right now

You'll have to be more specific

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

the left are so weak with their propaganda. the LORD has given them during scomo's reign fires, floods, drought, plague, rivers choked with rotting dead fish, scomo guffawing over a lump of coal in parliament while barnaby joyce glows red-hot and horny in the background, the hawaii pics, and the threat of nuclear war that his government keeps pouring more oil on for absolutely no reason. does anybody use any of this? no. all we get are "but will the liberals really create more jobs and do something about aged care? albo investigates from his loungeroom"

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

so help me there is no hope for this political system. it's all just going to fall apart in the next drought and then it's going to be every town for itself lol

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Not sure where Lisa Chesters fits in the ALP factional framework. I'll probably have to preference her fairly highly as I imagine Bendigo is going to have a flurry of lovely fash minor parties to contest for the last place on my ballot.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

the left are so weak with their propaganda. the LORD has given them during scomo's reign fires, floods, drought, plague, rivers choked with rotting dead fish, scomo guffawing over a lump of coal in parliament while barnaby joyce glows red-hot and horny in the background, the hawaii pics, and the threat of nuclear war that his government keeps pouring more oil on for absolutely no reason. does anybody use any of this? no. all we get are "but will the liberals really create more jobs and do something about aged care? albo investigates from his loungeroom"

albo voice: we will be turning back boats and indefinitely detaining reffos [boos and jeers] and we'll also agree with the liberals on everything else [more boos and jeers] my god why isn't this working anymore

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tomberforce posted:

Not sure where Lisa Chesters fits in the ALP factional framework. I'll probably have to preference her fairly highly as I imagine Bendigo is going to have a flurry of lovely fash minor parties to contest for the last place on my ballot.

I had a but to do with her as an organiser (dealing with Hazeldene's chicken, gently caress that company/family) and she was pretty solid in general. She's an operator but you could do worse I guess.

lih
May 15, 2013

Tomberforce posted:

she's part of the labor left, came from united voice which has since merged into the united workers union.

being on the labor left is of course no guarantee of decent politics (see how disappointing albanese has been as leader) but it does mean you are guaranteed to be able to find much worse than her within labor at the very least

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'd be wary of anyone from UV by default.

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...427-p5agn9.html

very confused by labor pledging to create a new defense research agency - we already have one (DSTG)! if they think it needs more resources or needs an overhaul then they should make that case, but creating a second defense research agency with no clear difference seems very strange.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Turned the radio on in the car to get greeted by Kristina Keanally earnestly trying to demonstrate Labor's excellent refugee kicking credentials. It was loving pathetic.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Tomberforce posted:

Turned the radio on in the car to get greeted by Kristina Keanally earnestly trying to demonstrate Labor's excellent refugee kicking credentials. It was loving pathetic.

The narrative around refugees has been utterly hosed since Howard figured out that pandering to racists was a winning strategy.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

lih posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...427-p5agn9.html

very confused by labor pledging to create a new defense research agency - we already have one (DSTG)! if they think it needs more resources or needs an overhaul then they should make that case, but creating a second defense research agency with no clear difference seems very strange.

Can they sell research from the DSTG to foreign governments? My thinking is they want a new one that they can make defense poo poo to sell to other countries

lih
May 15, 2013

idk but if that was the issue and goal then they could just expand DSTG's remit to include that? it very much already is our DARPA-equivalent which is what Labor is saying they want their new agency to be.

quote:

Labor said the Australian agency would ensure cutting-edge research from public sources, such as universities and industry, and classified research from industry and other government agencies such as CSIRO, are supported and co-ordinated.

this is exactly what DSTG already does

to be fair this doesn't really matter at all i'm just totally confused about what Labor are going for here

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

My forever mp is homebrand scomo

Mum we can have SCOMO?

No son, we already have SCOMO at home.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what her policies are but if I lived in the seat of Mackellar it would be very hard not to vote for Sophie Scamps

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

I wouldn't besmirch the left. I'm seeing a lot of cannon fire from unions, getup, the Greens, and random lefties on youtube and tiktok of all places. A few good ads from Labor that probably need a bigger budget to get pushed out there. There was one really good attack ad I saw once. Almost like the collective progressives of Australia have gone 'well Labor isn't going to do it, get Scott'.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Just saw Tony Abbott on the news where he and Kevin Rudd were speaking at the reopening of the democracy museum in Canberra and got an enormous pang of nostalgia at watching him awkwardly walk around like a man whose skin is too tight. Like, obviously he was awful, but gently caress, at least he was weird. At least he was funny.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

freebooter posted:

Just saw Tony Abbott on the news where he and Kevin Rudd were speaking at the reopening of the democracy museum in Canberra and got an enormous pang of nostalgia at watching him awkwardly walk around like a man whose skin is too tight. Like, obviously he was awful, but gently caress, at least he was weird. At least he was funny.

I remember so vividly watching the suppository of wisdom speech live with a work buddy of mine and both looking at each other trying to figure out if we heard it right. Good times.

lih
May 15, 2013

dutton as next liberal leader is probably the closest we'll get to abbott's bizarre vibe

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Remember when Gillard's parliament portrait was unveiled and Abbott just stood off to the side super still, blank expression and mouth half open?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

lih posted:

dutton as next liberal leader is probably the closest we'll get to abbott's bizarre vibe

Atleast it's not as cooked as John McCain singing a song to supporters about bombing Iran.

lih
May 15, 2013

Animal Friend posted:

Remember when Gillard's parliament portrait was unveiled and Abbott just stood off to the side super still, blank expression and mouth half open?

https://twitter.com/batshit_auspol/status/1513064565637931013

remember this

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Is there a way in which Abbott was worse than Morrison?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I was never a fan of Abbott but at least the man can and will hold a hose.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

Amoeba102 posted:

Is there a way in which Abbott was worse than Morrison?

I'd argue Abbott was worse

Abbott was a dismantler. He was elected on the premise to destroy the policies the Gillard/Rudd Labor governments had put in place. eg. Get the gov out of debt, stop the boats, get rid of the carbon tax, mining tax etc.
A lot of his and Hockey's most heinous poo poo was in the 2014 budget and was so bad the Australian public utterly rejected it - major hits to public service, education, health, welfare and funnily enough, affected the lower and middle class the most.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Australian_federal_budget

Morrison on the other hand come across as not having any objective or goal on how to shape Australian society. It's more a government of neglect.
There's no vision and they've dragged their feet/outright stalled on actual beneficial policies such as a federal ICAC. He's pretty much trying to keep the status quo going until he gets off the gravy train and moves on elsewhere.
Also see the lack of action during the flooding/bushfire natural disasters and the pandemic leaving the states to look after themselves.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Abbott was authentic. He was a smoldering pile of Catholic brain damage and he lived his truth with gusto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Even Howard was capable of showing genuine leadership from time to time.