Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

i remember when i was in 3rd grade or so and came home to a big green and orange tent over my house. I had no idea what it was and nobody told me to expect it so I went inside and started watching tv. about 20 minutes I hear someone yelling from the front door asking if I was inside. after I answered yes they told me to get out because the house was being tent fumigated and i was breathing poison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah that sounds about right

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

i took my shirt off at the public pool and all the teenagers pointed and laughed and said haboobs and I ran away crying and never went swimming again

You’re not missing anything. You’ll just end up getting your boobs wet

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Shifty Nipples posted:

i like haboobs :haw:

i dont because running the swamp cooler in them is an awful idea. the 2 seasons don't really overlap though.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

i remember when i was in 3rd grade or so and came home to a big green and orange tent over my house. I had no idea what it was and nobody told me to expect it so I went inside and started watching tv. about 20 minutes I hear someone yelling from the front door asking if I was inside. after I answered yes they told me to get out because the house was being tent fumigated and i was breathing poison

at least your lungs were free of pests

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

0 rows returned posted:

at least your lungs were free of pests
if anything, it prepared them for covid

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

bi crimes posted:

god i wish I had a dome

I want to build a concrete dome but my wife says no :(

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wait.. they now make super tarps.. how easy are the inflatable super tarps to pull off?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wait, that would be perfect for a snow situation! Simply cover your car with a deflated air mattress. Snow falls, you inflate the mattress, the snow comes right off! Then you just lift the mattress off and drive away.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

here we were are stuck in 2022 thinking about flat tarps and those homies are livigin in 2033 with 3d ones!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

a 4d tarp would be even better because you could just throw it over the snow-covered car and stretch it out to yesterday

Griz
May 21, 2001

it's 35 degrees in upstate new york, and also a wildfire warning which i have never seen before in all the time i've lived here

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Pryor on Fire posted:

Every time I have visited Vermont/NH I have noticed how brutally humid it is. Even in January when it's 10 degrees and clear, it's somehow way more humid than any other cold place I've been. It's like you can feel the freezing moisture in the air just biting at you.

If it's drying out there then I think we finally killed the planet. rip

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I want to see someone manually inflate a tarpballoon with hundreds of pounds of snow on it

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Dustcat posted:

a 4d tarp would be even better because you could just throw it over the snow-covered car and stretch it out to yesterday

i feel like this is the best solution to car snow so far

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Griz posted:

it's 35 degrees in upstate new york, and also a wildfire warning which i have never seen before in all the time i've lived here

we're also moving to having a Wind Season, which aligns with the wildfire warnings to a degree

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Dustcat posted:

blatman posted:

i feel like this is the best solution to car snow so far

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Spergin Morlock posted:

that explains your posts

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

we're also moving to having a Wind Season, which aligns with the wildfire warnings to a degree

my boss is a volunteer firefighter and as of 3:30 there's a fifteen+ company call out to Taconic to fight one of two large brushfires :catstare:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

that explains your posts

perhaps lol

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Might be another long night in tornado alley.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

covering my car in pins

cover your neighbor's car in pins, cover your car in gutters

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.twitter.com/realLizUSA/status/1520139172517920769

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Kansas having a normal one https://twitter.com/theScantman/status/1520221179289743360?s=20&t=_PLLkJKPgIPeOWGVXrSiFg

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/ReedTimmerAccu/status/1520225905817403392

its like something out of an anime

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Holy poo poo those...buildings are just vaporized

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jesus loving christ

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

my boss is a volunteer firefighter and as of 3:30 there's a fifteen+ company call out to Taconic to fight one of two large brushfires :catstare:

I was driving home in CT yesterday and I saw three brush fires just casually burning along the side of the highway. It's not like we don't get brush fires in CT, but I've lived here my whole life and never seen anything like that.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Dominator Drone

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

The very literal interpretation of the proverbial "normal one" with regards to Kansas

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/ReedTimmerAccu/status/1520213397316452352

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

SorePotato posted:

The very literal interpretation of the proverbial "normal one" with regards to Kansas

they pretty rarely hit towns with more than 10k ppl but yah I get it this was a p regular semi-annual basement bag nite

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Those houses sure were "In AND Over KS"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

i really really really want to see the raw drone footage of that. easily the best video of a tornado i've ever seen

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

absolutely bullshitting here but was there some unusual/uncommon atmospheric parameters for this storm that made this one so visually interesting?

like, the funnel itself doesn’t look that spectacular, but when the houses are pulled up, it almost looks like there’s white water vapor condensing around the debris or something in a way I don’t think I’ve seen before.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Those houses sure were "In AND Over KS"
reminds of an old joke from Massachusetts about a letter getting delivered successfully to:

WOOD
JOHN
MASS

being "john underwood, andover, MA"

guess it's

JOHN
WOOD
KANS

now

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Luneshot posted:

absolutely bullshitting here but was there some unusual/uncommon atmospheric parameters for this storm that made this one so visually interesting?

like, the funnel itself doesn’t look that spectacular, but when the houses are pulled up, it almost looks like there’s white water vapor condensing around the debris or something in a way I don’t think I’ve seen before.

That's just air that is practically saturated (think RH of ~100%) rising very quickly, causing it to rapidly cool and the water vapor to condense. It's just unusual to see that process happen in a few seconds. Could have just been pockets of air near the ground that had more moisture making it visually stunning.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirPablo posted:

Dominator Drone

Reed Timmer is such an annoying nerd

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
India hottest April in 122 years immediately after hottest March. Subcontinent is about to boil off the face of the planet. It's a very alarming situation and getting like, zero?, press.

Edit: important to note frequency of blackouts there: it's high!!

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 15:31 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

lol talking about electricity outage

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/india/india-heatwave-coal-crisis-trains-power-shortage-b2068923.html

quote:

A total 713 trains have been cancelled till 25 May by the South East Central Railway division of the Indian Railways, while 40 trains were suspended by the Northern Railways till 8 May, reported the Indian Express newspaper.

Coal inventories in India, the world’s second-largest coal importer, are at the lowest pre-summer levels since at least nine years.

This is in part because of a significant jump in power demand that has grown at a pace not seen in the last 38 years.

A reason for this surge in power demand is because of a debilitating extreme heatwave that has struck India and wider swathes of south Asia, including Pakistan, sparking power outages in rural and urban areas.

At least 108 of India’s 173 thermal coal-fired plants have critically low levels of stock to keep up with the demand.

reminds me of that snow making machine thing this past winter