Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

KennyMan666 posted:

Kellies nomination: Worst caricature for that off-brand Donald Duck. Mickey and Minnie are bad but recognizable but he didn't even manage to give Donald the correct hat.

It's not wrong, just closer to the very earliest donalds; over time the cap got shorter (not that the nom isn't richly deserved).

edit: nope, I'm misremembering- while the hat did change over time, it wasn't that one. I've seen Donald in that hat somewhere, but I'm blanking on where.

edit 2: it's from a bunch of his appearances, particularly in 90s cartoons, where he was actively in the navy.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: I Suffered and So Should You

Sure Rall but you wrote a whole essay about how The Gays aren't cool and counterculture anymore and that'd a bad thing.

e: I can't find the essay anymore but here's the cartoon at least

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

"Giving LGBTQ people equal rights is the exact same thing as conversion therapy actually" is just the most buckwild donkey-brained take ever, I love it. Like how the gently caress can someone's brain do this many backflips and still be even remotely functional

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Functional?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

KennyMan666 posted:

Kellies nomination: Worst caricature for that off-brand Donald Duck. Mickey and Minnie are bad but recognizable but he didn't even manage to give Donald the correct hat.

Danziger is really old and both the art and jokes of his cartoons have deteriorated fast lately :(

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Is ted rall even not straight, or did he just decide the gay community needed his input

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Angepain posted:

Is ted rall even not straight, or did he just decide the gay community needed his input

He's straight, don't you remember that extended comic book about all the sex he was having?

also here's a column from him on how the normalization of homosexuality was a tragedy

quote:

I miss the gays of the 1970s.

Before AIDS made them fearful.

When they were wild. On the fringe. A threat to decent society.

Decent society sucks.

I don’t get it. The big advantages of being gay were that you didn’t have to get married or go to war. Why give that up?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

"Giving LGBTQ people equal rights is the exact same thing as conversion therapy actually" is just the most buckwild donkey-brained take ever, I love it. Like how the gently caress can someone's brain do this many backflips and still be even remotely functional
It's pretty funny that he seems to have the exact same beliefs as fundy bible-thumpers about where homosexuality comes from: people make a choice to be gay because they want to shock and offend polite society and put a thumb in the eye of God.

Only since he thinks contriarianism is cool he comes to the equally stupid converse of their conclusions: if you make it boring and normal to be gay no one will choose to do it anymore

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There’s tomes written about forcing queer people to assimilate into our capitalist, heteronormative society, so it’s not an invalid topic.

The problem is that it has the tone of someone grousing that their favorite band sold out.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Jay Rust posted:

Do you guys not get any perverse enjoyment out of the deranged garrison blog posts or from witnessing the latest, stupidest stantis takes? The awful kirschen cartoons or the opposite-of-reality Brancos? Why else would you even read the thread

This thread is a distillation of the politics of the world, and though i hate to say it, Its where i learn about political news.

I got the ADHD bad so long essays about why conservatives are poo poo dont really do it for me, but a comic and the people in this thread deconstructing the viewpoints really helps me see the whole picture. The thought of listening to fox news or PragerU videos to just know where they stand makes me sick honestly
It might be wierd but this is sorta where i get my news from and can say this helped shaped my way of thinking.

reading this thread helps reminds me that people are evil or have evil beliefs, which can be easy to forget when you are out in the non online world. They'll spin it anyway they want but there are people that believe women dont deserve reproductive rights or that LGBT+ dont have a right to exist.

You guys are great bringing all this trash in so we can pick through it and say "God these people suck"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

There’s tomes written about forcing queer people to assimilate into our capitalist, heteronormative society, so it’s not an invalid topic.

The problem is that it has the tone of someone grousing that their favorite band sold out.

As with much of his stuff, it feels like he sat near two people discussing this at a bar and decided that since they didn't want to hear what he had to say about it, now we've all gotta hear it

edit - "we" here being this thread because I'm pretty sure 90% of the eyeballs that see half these cartoons see them here

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I like that Danziger because he actually drew them, on-model or not, unlike everyone else.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Boris Johnson and the Partygate charges – The threat of more fines for Covid lawbreaking still hangs over the prime minister"

Telegraph:

Elon Musk buys Twitter for $44bn

Matt:

Downton Abbey: A New Era, review: plenty of surprises and an iconic moment to savour

Independent:

Russia suspending gas supplies to Poland, Bulgaria; After James Cagney et al.

Times:

Evening Standard:

London elections 2022: Poll gives Labour massive 27 point lead over Tories ahead of May 5 vote

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KennyMan666 posted:

Take a look at this whipper-snapper!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5dowCyaP7I&t=125s

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

blower was made for the telegraph personally by satan himself

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"All he's doing is pissing tens of thousands of people off, but I hate those people so it's good" is pretty much the core mindset for Telegraph readers, and also conservatives in general.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Discendo Vox posted:

He's straight, don't you remember that extended comic book about all the sex he was having?

also here's a column from him on how the normalization of homosexuality was a tragedy

So literally this but for gay people:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ted Rall posted:

The big advantages of being gay were that you didn’t have to get married or go to war. Why give that up?

This is the crux of it, I think. Rall is showing his age in the same conception of marriage as someone like Mac: a constant nightmare of resentment that becomes a cycle of spite and retribution that only ends when one or both of you is granted the sweet release of death. Weird to think of it now, but this is how a lot of people saw marriage throughout the 20th century. When you start to get to feminism, the history of marriage as a property exchange got brought up a lot.

The thing is, "marriage" as a legal concept is distinct from "marriage" as a cultural concept, and the AIDS epidemic really brought that to the forefront when queer people were denied the protections afforded straights, things like being able to make medical decisions for your partner and visitation rights.

Meanwhile, while he was perpetuating the stereotypes of his parents' generation, Rall's peers were starting to find their own ideas about what marriage could be, thanks to the stigmas of premarital sex and divorce (another of those legal protections), and in small part, the efforts of people fighting for marriage equality. After all, if people wanted to do this without it being a cultural or familial obligation, maybe marriage could happen without all that baggage.

So, naturally, Rall has ended up getting it 100% wrong. LGBTQ people didn't get ruined through marriage, marriage was made better for everyone because of the efforts of LGBTQ people who fought for it.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Nationals senator Matt Canavan. Matt Canavan declares net zero by 2050 is ‘all over bar the shouting’ after PM tries to quell divisions (Guardian). "Labor earlier jumped on climate crisis split between Liberals and Nationals after Colin Boyce said emissions target had ‘wiggle room’"
Both major parties are running a tightrope on climate policy as they are fighting for seats in coal regions as well as the urban areas which are demanding urgent action. The Coalition in is the bigger mess because they haven't been able to devise a workable climate plan in a decade because their group contains people like Matt Canavan who laughs at the idea of targets and demands more coal power plants and now their moderate urban seats are under serious threat from the teal independents running on climate action.

Rowe:

Knight:

Surging inflation means interest rates could rise next week, as cost of living jumps most since GST (ABC).
An interest rate rise during the election campaign combined with the inflation surge and stagnant wage growth is not good news for the government, although they are trying to spin it as a warning that voters can't risk change in these troubled economic times.

Warren Brown:

Wilcox:

Lethbridge:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Shadow foreign minister Penny Wong. I'm not sure what this is about as I doubt they have an actual poll of Pacific Island interests; this looks more like a local Australian poll. Or it might be a comment on what Labor's focus has been in the campaign, in which is it they aren't doing enough on climate change AGC.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I thought this person retried.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I thought this person retried.

You're thinking of Matt Bors, who now mainly just runs the Nib and doesn't cartoon. This is Mattie Lubchansky.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Technowolf posted:

You're thinking of Matt Bors, who now mainly just runs the Nib and doesn't cartoon. This is Mattie Lubchansky.

Oh, so there's a different person who's decide to keep doing the same wastelands "joke" that wasn't funny or interesting the first time it was done and still isn't funny or intresting now.

Great. Looking forward to seeing this "what if current bad thing but Mad Max?" imagery over and over again until the heat death of the universe.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The lefty cartoonists who make all their cartoons about how everything sucks and will continue to suck harder so why bother are far more insidious than all the conservative dreck.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No one is saying "so why bother"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

No one is saying "so why bother"

Trapezium Dave posted:

The part of Rall's cartoons that makes me a little uneasy posting him here is the constant theme that democracy is worthless and No True Leftist should meaningfully engage, with the only alternative seemingly being to shitpost on the internet. Particularly because by posting it here I might be tripling his viewership.

But it's not an issue unique to Rall; most of the US left cartoonists have an issue with saying how everything sucks and will continue to suck harder so why bother with anything. It's really not a great message to be sending out.

Setting every comic in a postapocalyptic future where nothing has changed sends a specific message.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If things continue as they‘re going here’s a possible vision of the future. It’s satire

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Chip Bok

Stuart Carlson

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

John Deering

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Walt Handelsman

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Gary Markstein

Jack Ohman

Henry Payne

Joel Pett

Michael Ramirez

Drew Sheneman

Jeff Stahler

Scott Stantis

Tom Stiglich

Dana Summers

Tony Branco

quote:

Ghost of Theories Past: Some are asking about the ghost Biden was shaking hands with, by the looks of his policies it was Karl Marx.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Setting every comic in a postapocalyptic future where nothing has changed sends a specific message.

Yes, it sends the message that things need to change!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yes, you loving numbskull, Elon Musk isn't doing any of those things himself with his bare hands, the people under him are the ones actually making it happen.

It's so loving weird to have the most basic understanding of "billionaires need their employees to make their wealth" and then see people treat that idea as heresy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes, you loving numbskull, Elon Musk isn't doing any of those things himself with his bare hands, the people under him are the ones actually making it happen.

It's so loving weird to have the most basic understanding of "billionaires need their employees to make their wealth" and then see people treat that idea as heresy.

He is not, in fact, doing any of those things at all

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Raised By Birds posted:

Lisa Benson

Al Goodwyn

Tom Stiglich

Yeah if there's one thing billionaires typically love it's dissenting opinions. Definitely a good idea to let a single man control it. Conservatives love to say "who decides?" when the left talks about hate speech and so on but just like everything else when "the guy who decides" turns out to be on their side, it's totally fine, actually.

Also cmon, we know what speech is actually being veiled here.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Even though I'm used to Gorrell's laziness, sometimes it still shocks me.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

the_steve posted:

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

There is no way in hell that bird is going to do any flying.

That's the intended interpretation. Garrison is saying Musk's plan is unlikely to succeed.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jay Rust posted:

If things continue as they‘re going here’s a possible vision of the future. It’s satire

It's boring. It's not the underlying message I disagree with, it's that the underlying message is being presented in a way that isn't interesting.

I know doing the same thing over and over again in political cartoons is pretty much the standard, but it still gets dull seeing a message presented a certain way again and again and again even when it's a message you support.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
That Gorell sure is something holy heck :stare:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Why is Ghost Marx so funny to me?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Electric Phantasm posted:

Why is Ghost Marx so funny to me?

Well, there is a spectre haunting Europe…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I will always love the mad max politoons, I hope they stick to this single theme forever