Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

That’s the Good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I used to post on a really good military chat forum with a lot of actual experts and good posters. That was up until 2016, when Trump Fever took over and the Trumpers hooked up with the Russian nationalist posters in the wake of Russiagate news stories to turn the whole message board into garbage. I got laughed at for saying the Donbas invasion would lead to a bigger war and that the Russian military may be corrupt and a paper tiger.

I know it sounds like I'm being smug, but anyone could see that Russia's military has been overrated for a long time, now. It was clear that funding for any kind of military project, be it an upgrade to existing equipment or a whole new weapons project was being siphoned off. They couldn't really deliver any sort of substantial weapons shipment to a "modern" nation (those T-90s will make it to India any decade, now). Their "maneuvers" were rare and carried out by rotating, abused conscripts, which caused a brain drain. Their BTGs could be made combat ineffective by one half-assed bombing run. Their military leaders often have like no actual military education background (like Shoigu, who is a civil engineer).

My banning from that one forum finally happened when I got "lol look at Mister Strategy Understander"ed out of the boards when I claimed that Russia would be screwed if the US ever switched off their access to the USA's GPS network (which they only got on after the USSR shot down two Korean airliners). The response was that I was stupid for thinking that Russia didn't have its own super top-secret satellite guidance system and look at all these sources (re: Russia Today op-eds) that prove it. Fast forward to last month when the US took Russia off the GPS grid and we have photos of cluster bombs being dropped in the middle of empty fields and multi-million dollar bunker busters dropping on outhouses.

Eh, Russia does have GLONASS, which is their domestic alternative (the EU has Galileo and China has BeiDou). That said, nobody knows whether the US has the capability to block or spoof it. Well, nobody who knows is talking about it - I do remember GPS spoofing was a concern for the US during the GWOT, which leads me to believe that it was a valid threat there, it's probably a valid threat for GLONASS as well.

The other possibility is that while Russia does have GLONASS, their ground units may not have the equipment to actually utilize it. I'd say this is more likely, given the general quality and maintenance of Russian equipment so far, and the quality of their logistics operation.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Eh, Russia does have GLONASS, which is their domestic alternative (the EU has Galileo and China has BeiDou). That said, nobody knows whether the US has the capability to block or spoof it. Well, nobody who knows is talking about it - I do remember GPS spoofing was a concern for the US during the GWOT, which leads me to believe that it was a valid threat there, it's probably a valid threat for GLONASS as well.

The other possibility is that while Russia does have GLONASS, their ground units may not have the equipment to actually utilize it. I'd say this is more likely, given the general quality and maintenance of Russian equipment so far, and the quality of their logistics operation.

GLONASS is operable but one of the 24? sats is down, which may contribute to minor errors. Not sure how much.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
GPS has historically been magnitudes more accurate than GLONASS. Also, civilian hardware doesn’t get access to the additional data military hardware can use to improve accuracy and reliability.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
There was footage from inside a Russian helicopter that was using a Garmin for navigation which would probably be GPS rather than GLONASS

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Goon night, Goon.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

the popes toes posted:

GLONASS is operable but one of the 24? sats is down, which may contribute to minor errors. Not sure how much.

if donnie were in office i can picture him calling musky boi to crash one of his starlink satellites into glonass, bigly

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Shooting Blanks posted:

GLONASS is already below minimum required satellites per design, and its accuracy was never as good as GPS I'm told. Plus half of the sats are apparently about ready to just fall out of orbit. (made a post a few pages back on russian satellite capability and how shockingly bare their cupboard is in that department)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Doccers posted:

GLONASS is already below minimum required satellites per design, and its accuracy was never as good as GPS I'm told. Plus half of the sats are apparently about ready to just fall out of orbit. (made a post a few pages back on russian satellite capability and how shockingly bare their cupboard is in that department)

Maybe the US Space Force has something that could go up and give them a subtle nudge. I did read a while back that there was speculation about a secret mission involving a stealth satellite that snuck up on a Russian spy satellite to take some photos.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

gay picnic defence posted:

There was footage from inside a Russian helicopter that was using a Garmin for navigation which would probably be GPS rather than GLONASS

This was my expectation. I believe the US can block commercial GPS units within a given territory while leaving military GPS units active. I knew GLONASS wasn't as capable as GPS (and, like most of Russia's infrastructure, not as well maintained) - but putting commercial GPS units in military equipment is what I was expecting, either due to lack of GLONASS compatible equipment, or degradation of GLONASS to the point where it's no longer considered reliable.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

My Garmin Fenix 5 watch provides GPS as defualt with GLONASS connectivity as an option in improve accuracy. Not sure about the rest of their products.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Maybe the US Space Force has something that could go up and give them a subtle nudge. I did read a while back that there was speculation about a secret mission involving a stealth satellite that snuck up on a Russian spy satellite to take some photos.

Too bad the shuttle program was retired before its obvious wink wink nudge nudge design purpose was ever realized. Or maybe it's good that there's no precedence for loving with other peoples' satellites.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

BattleMaster posted:

Too bad the shuttle program was retired before its obvious wink wink nudge nudge design purpose was ever realized. Or maybe it's good that there's no precedence for loving with other peoples' satellites.

no one knows for sure, but the suspicion is that we might have been loving with other peoples' satellites for a while now

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Your link doesn't seem to support that, really--spying maybe.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Periphery posted:

My Garmin Fenix 5 watch provides GPS as defualt with GLONASS connectivity as an option in improve accuracy. Not sure about the rest of their products.

Yeah my Simrad GPS receiver does glonass, gps and whatever that weird radio triangulation for extra accuracy is. It's not particularly rare on commerical units

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Periphery posted:

There is some form of central control over GPS blocking/reduction in accuracy. This article from 2003 references it.

quote:

The Pentagon spokesman said any decision to block GPS would need to be taken at the very highest level, between President George Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, the defense secretary and Tommy Franks, commander of the US forces. “To reverse Clinton’s executive order would be a very serious decision,” he said.

But satellite experts contacted by New Scientist say a regional blackout is relatively easy to achieve, and that the US has the technical capability to do it.

“We know that various jamming tests have occurred with that technology,” says Richard Langley, a GPS expert at the University of New Brunswick in Canada. “And it’s mature enough that they could deploy it in a theatre of war.” He suspects the technology has already been used in Afghanistan to deny GPS to Taliban forces.

It'd be interesting to find out just how effective GLONASS is in 2022, and how available GLONASS units are to Russian forces.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
You’re describing Selective Availability, turned off in 2000 and newer GPS sats don’t even have the capability for it. I still remember the day when my receiver went from 300ft accuracy to 30ft overnight.

DOD has hinted they have other regional degradation capabilities demonstrated when SA was disabled but I don’t know if they have ever revealed what it is/was.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Ulf posted:

DOD has hinted they have other regional degradation capabilities demonstrated when SA was disabled but I don’t know if they have ever revealed what it is/was.

Debt.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Periphery posted:

It's pretty standard even on cheap Garmins like eTrex 32.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

zone posted:

It's a special agricultural operation. The potatoes are terrified now and the wheat already surrendered. :rolleye:

I guess the russians really separated the wheat from the chaff there.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Periphery posted:

You can also change it to gps + galileo on some models, such as my instinct solar.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Vox Nihili posted:

We are now threatened with a porpoise gap that leaves us in a position of potentially grave, squeaky danger.

The US has had a naval sea mammal program for decades.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

A lot of promising breakthroughs but researchers are still figuring out how to breed or train out their misdirected aggression and book-writing instinct.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Wow, the Russian military is really going all-in on being cartoonishly evil, even going so far as to waste a poo poo ton of money by using Stormtrooper Aim.

Also now that Belarus is completely out of the war, even as a logistics hub, what's going on there now? I know they got some banks cut off from SWIFT and their trucks banned from Europe, but were the sanctions in general for them the same as for Russia? I guess as soon as Luka disappears then they could have some sort of quick rapprochement with Europe since they were (fortunately) so utterly ineffective in supporting Russia. I don't see any sort of EU-Russia rapprochement happening within the next 10 years, regardless of Putin's longevity.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Someone worked out that the Russian MoD has been using the same corpse over and over again for its propaganda.

:nms: https://twitter.com/kemal_115/status/1519257689469161478

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Bundestag just approved delivery of heavy weapons with an overwhelming majority, only Linkspartei and AfD voted against.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Honj Steak posted:

Bundestag just approved delivery of heavy weapons with an overwhelming majority, only Linkspartei and AfD voted against.

Will they this time ship more ammo than 20 minutes of sustained fire? :v:

Kidding, that's great!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kikas posted:

Will they this time ship more ammo than 20 minutes of sustained fire? :v:

Kidding, that's great!

More than that, they pleged to provide their entire stockpile of broomsticks!

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Denmark is shipping anti-armor mines, mortar shells and M113 APCs that were recently decommissioned in favor of another model of APC.
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/danmark-sender-panserminer-mandskabsvogne-og-mortergranater-til-ukraine

Machine translation:
Denmark sends armored personnel carriers (PMV) of the type M113, armored mines and mortar shells to Ukraine, according to DR News' information.

The three weapon systems are part of the donation of 600 million kroner, which Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen (S) promised Ukraine last week during a visit to the capital Kiev.

It is still unknown whether the Danish arms aid has currently left the country and is on its way to Ukraine.

According to DR News' information, since the Prime Minister's visit, the Armed Forces and especially the Army have been reviewing which weapons systems in the warehouses can be useful in Ukraine.

Neither the Defense Command nor the Ministry of Defense want to say when the Danish weapons aid is expected to reach Ukraine.

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

More than that, they pleged to provide their entire stockpile of broomsticks!

Only to have the transfer blocked by Switzerland.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1519618601065537538
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-28/german-parliament-bolsters-support-for-heavy-weapons-to-ukraine

quote:

In the rare collaboration, the measure was passed on Thursday with 586 out of 693 votes. Only far-right and far-left parties not back the plan. The motion also calls for an end to imports of Russian oil and gas and criticized China over its support for Moscow.

quote:

Scholz, who is in Japan on his first trip to Asia as chancellor, has faced intense criticism from international partners and domestic critics to do more to help Ukraine, including supplying tanks and other advanced weapons systems.
Because of course the far right and far left agrees on this. Though it's nice see the continued call to end imports of oil and gas from Russia. I do find it extremely funny that this was passed while Scholz is in Japan, it certainly doesn't help his image as a weak leader around Europe.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

edit: :nms: photo of dead body inside
https://twitter.com/time/status/1519618372304048129

Russians almost had him and his family in the opening hours of the war. :staredog:

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Fast forward to last month when the US took Russia off the GPS grid and we have photos of cluster bombs being dropped in the middle of empty fields and multi-million dollar bunker busters dropping on outhouses.

They have actually done that? I’m either misunderstanding or misremembering something then, and would appreciate a clarification.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 28, 2022

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Willo567 posted:

How are these "experts" so loving stupid as to think that the Russians actually believe this horse poo poo

Guys like this instantly go "Only having themselves and their family destroyed in nuclear hellfire can truly satisfy the Russian mind's suicidal drive for patriotism!" instead of considering that maybe juuust maybe he's exactly the credulous, western audience this stuff is actually intended for.

Btw he's the same guy arguing that Russia moving to full mobilization would make the US and NATO go full boots on the ground, lol

https://twitter.com/MMazarr/status/1519160808172888067?s=20&t=ia8MIy8RRcPr6kDOpTXrbQ

Grouchio posted:

And they're pushing their current domestic narrative to avoid going 'look we admitted to the west that nukes are off the table' and looking weak as hell.
Tbf Solovyov is hardly representative for the whole Russian mediasphere. As I understand it his evening show is so chockful of venomous propaganda, unbridled chauvinism that it's an outlier even for Russian state TV.

And yeah, I also think there's an element of appeasing an internal audience of ultranationalists by this kind of nuclear chest beating to mask their actual impotence, since nukes only ever have value if you don't actually use them.

Just look at their giddy reaction to the Satan 2 launch recently. It's like fan fiction as a security blanket:

""Russian state TV hosts giggled uncontrollably as they discussed nuking New York City with one of Vladimir Putin's new intercontinental ballistic missile.
“Completely gone, with one rocket. Completely, I mean completely,” he went on, laughing. “So it’s better we don’t. Americans always feared our heavy rockets.”" https://nypost.com/2022/04/22/russian-state-tv-hosts-laugh-as-they-discuss-nuking-nyc/

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They have actually done that? I’m either misunderstanding or misremembering something then, and would appreciate a clarification.
The video of the 'hypersonic missile obliterating an arms depot in Ivano-Frankivsk' turned out to show a large barn or similar being blown up, as it was very quickly geolocated - and found to be considerably closer to the Russian lines, like half the width of Ukraine, than claimed. (That it was being filmed by a slow-moving drone even though it was supposedly well within Ukraine's air defence zone was a dead giveaway.)

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Atreiden posted:

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1519618601065537538
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-28/german-parliament-bolsters-support-for-heavy-weapons-to-ukraine

Because of course the far right and far left agrees on this. Though it's nice see the continued call to end imports of oil and gas from Russia. I do find it extremely funny that this was passed while Scholz is in Japan, it certainly doesn't help his image as a weak leader around Europe.

Foreign policy was not why Scholz was elected, and unfortunately for him Russia decided to start the largest crisis in regards to German foreign policy since the collapse of the USSR. I would not characterize him as weak, as he has just started to get his feet wet in trying to lead the German government. Time will tell though.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russians almost had him and his family in the opening hours of the war. :staredog:

You can't just stop the story there. What happened?

Hollywood will need to know the details, and EA will for the next Call of Duty.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ulf posted:

You’re describing Selective Availability, turned off in 2000 and newer GPS sats don’t even have the capability for it. I still remember the day when my receiver went from 300ft accuracy to 30ft overnight.

Is it possible that the transmitters on GPS satellites can effectively block or shade some of the planet beneath from receiving the signal?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

Just look at their giddy reaction to the Satan 2 launch recently. It's like fan fiction as a security blanket:

""Russian state TV hosts giggled uncontrollably as they discussed nuking New York City with one of Vladimir Putin's new intercontinental ballistic missile.
“Completely gone, with one rocket. Completely, I mean completely,” he went on, laughing. “So it’s better we don’t. Americans always feared our heavy rockets.”" https://nypost.com/2022/04/22/russian-state-tv-hosts-laugh-as-they-discuss-nuking-nyc/

That’s also not an accurate quote. The host laughs after he calls the US Russia’s partner. No one laughs after he says NY would be completely, I mean completely, destroyed.

I mean they’re insane but I guess I shouldn’t expect the NYPost to figure out how to do a quotation correctly.

Also "giggled uncontrollably"? No he had a little chuckle briefly about "partner". Like seriously what a lovely quote, of admittedly lovely people.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Is it possible that the transmitters on GPS satellites can effectively block or shade some of the planet beneath from receiving the signal?

Probably not precisely enough that you can allow Ukrainian forces to use it while denying it to the Russians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Putin has managed to piss of Serbia, one of the most pro Russian countries in Europe, by comparing his fake peoples republics with Kosovo.
https://twitter.com/srdjancvijic/status/1519485739523788800

On top of that the antics in Transnistria have moved Moldova further towards the EU, with Moldova now joining sanctions on Russia and sending aid and sappers to Ukraine. Moldova had up til now tried to stay neutral as far as I know.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1519588544016261120
https://www.republicworld.com/world...rticleshow.html

quote:

According to a report published on jurnaltv.md, Moldova has announced that the state will send qualified sappers to Ukraine to clear the liberated settlements, as well as humanitarian packages to the affected Ukrainians, will also be provided. The announcement was made by the President of the Republic, Maia Sandu, in a comment on Jurnaltv.md.

She added that Moldova will join the economic sanctions against Russia imposed by the EU countries.

to add to the speculation of what Transnistria might be up to.
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1519591664721047552