Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

In all seriousness I'm hoping my project for the first 12 months is "retire everything that requires the citrix"

remote snipe connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As a "Citrix person," I agree completely with that approach. Times have changed, VDI and VPN should be getting phased out. Nothing client-side should need to be on the LAN.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

VDI has a place and it's "we need to recruit people quickly and they might only be working for us for a couple of months, they need to use their home PC, and this is gig work". Morally that's a poo poo way to run things and you're not going to get staff who care, but it happens.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

You mean they're running XenServer on bare-metal EC2 instances :negative:

More like No Thanks Ants.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

nvrgrls posted:

I've been reading /r/overemployed for a few weeks now wondering how people are holding 2 or 3 devops jobs simultaneously when the devops reality I've observed is what MustardFacial said.

Competent DevOps are like hens teeth it seems. Like the actual "work" part of this job seems relatively simple if you understand the underlying technologies, but I think a lot of people come at it from the angle of learning just the bare minimum to get by or reading just enough of the AWS docs that you can get hired, and that kind of mindset is going to get you into trouble.

Because I'm now doing this devops thing, they gave me a macbook (like it's a requirement for the job or something). This is my first encounter with macOS. In some ways this thing feels like "babby's first linux", but then it also has a bunch of weird quirks (it legit took me like 10 mins to figure out how to install firefox).

The trackpad is dope though, and I will hand it to apple. I did a 12GB major system upgrade and it stayed stone cold the entire time. If it was a windows update the fans would be screaming.

Anyways I had another talk with my boss and she informed me about some outside resources I could go to for help I guess we were using some 3rd party contracting company for some AWS services. So that's helpful. Every stone I turn over seems like some fresh new hell of tech debt, hacked fixes, and quick patches just to keep everything running which is frustrating but I guess that the next guy's problem.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 14, 2022

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Nice one. Hopefully the 10 minutes of searching led you to install homebrew, if not then install that. And yeah the macbook touch pad can't be beat as far as I'm concerned.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

nvrgrls posted:

Nice one. Hopefully the 10 minutes of searching led you to install homebrew, if not then install that. And yeah the macbook touch pad can't be beat as far as I'm concerned.

I just installed homebrew. This thing makes sense now.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I need to do a gut check here on laptop manufacturers.

We have about 60 employees and are all using dells. We pay for ProSupportPlus which I believe is their highest tier (comes with on site repairs and accidental damage).

But their service has just been atrocious. Horrible scheduling, poor communication, wrong parts being sent, no shows, etc.

Do any other manufactures have better service OR am I doing something wrong working with Dell? Like - should I be paying for different service or going about it a different way?

Thanks so much!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're an HP shop and we buy 5 year warranties with ADP upgrade for all our laptops. When I need a unit to be serviced I never actually call HP. I call our HP partner that we buy the gear from and they work on warranty work on HP's behalf. If they need parts, they're calling HP and getting a service tech, etc. It works great. Not sure if Dell has the same options or if you have a reseller that provides that service.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
This DevOps thing is killing me.

Like it's making me question if IT is a viable career path for me?

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 27, 2022

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

This DevOps thing is killing me.

Like it's making me question if IT is a viable career path for me?

What are you dev-op'in that's killing you? there are good jobs out there and it's a buyers market.

dexter6 posted:

I need to do a gut check here on laptop manufacturers.

We have about 60 employees and are all using dells. We pay for ProSupportPlus which I believe is their highest tier (comes with on site repairs and accidental damage).

But their service has just been atrocious. Horrible scheduling, poor communication, wrong parts being sent, no shows, etc.

Do any other manufactures have better service OR am I doing something wrong working with Dell? Like - should I be paying for different service or going about it a different way?

Thanks so much!

Are you buying all this through dell or a VAR, like greennight?

incoherent fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 28, 2022

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

wolrah posted:

Definitely check your UDP timeout settings, that definitely sounds like NAT problems. Cisco tends to want 300+ second timeouts for their hosted voice products and most firewalls will default to somewhere between 30 and 60 seconds.

Gorson posted:

The two main issues that have been reported are one side can't hear the other, and 1-2 second delay before audio starts being picked up when a call begins. The issues are intermittent.

Thanks! I'm likely going to have to swap out the router to get it working, they have a Sagemcom from Spectrum and it's severely limited in what can be changed. They're convinced the Spectrum equipment will work and haven't come to grips yet.

Update on this I've convinced them we need to test with non-Spectrum equipment so I've got a Ubiquiti I had lying around configured with all the settings I wasn't able to get to on the Spectrum. Those Spectrum Sagemcoms are pure unfiltered trash. I'm still waiting back to hear if there are any improvements.

I see their support has been rolling out the same document since they were "Jive" communications:

• DNS Servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
• Ports: 5060 & 5061 must be open
• SIP ALG: Must be disabled.
• UDP Timeout: Must be increased to at least 300 seconds.
SIP Transformations: Must be disabled.
• Consistent NAT: Must be enabled

IIRC SIP Transformations and Consistent NAT are Sonicwall proprietary?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

incoherent posted:

Are you buying all this through dell or a VAR, like greennight?
Directly through Dell. Would I get better service through a VAR?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Never buy direct unless you're a massive company

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

dexter6 posted:

Directly through Dell. Would I get better service through a VAR?

For sure. I'd never quit my VAR.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

GreenNight posted:

For sure. I'd never quit my VAR.
Gotcha. Any recommendations of VARs to check out?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

incoherent posted:

What are you dev-op'in that's killing you? there are good jobs out there and it's a buyers market.

Long story short less long: Our DevOps guy left without much notice and my boss asked me to fill in because I had mentioned before that I was "looking for a new challenge" and then gave me a raise on top of that. The thing is all of my background and training is in network admin, linux admin, general sysadmin and infrastructure. I've got very little experience with cloud services, a tiny bit of docker.

So with all of that I've been thrown into a massive DevOps role where the senior guy who built the whole thing left without documentation and the junior guy doesn't know anything. And this is now a sink or swim moment where I am being exposed to EC2, elastic beanstalk, elastic container service, application load balancers, the giant loving mystery box that is AWS networking, Cloudformation, RedHat OpenShift, a full CI/CD pipeline, with a full team of developers wanting things done on services I've never heard of before (what the gently caress is gradle?) and two very big projects looming on the horizon.

But there is nothing anybody can do. They can't pull me out of this role because then there would be nobody else do do it (the jr DevOps guy is pretty useless), I can't leave because they're now paying me so much that no other company will match that for normal sysadmin roles, and I'm under so much stress and pressure that I'm downing a 1/3 of a bottle of whiskey a night.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 28, 2022

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sounds like a good time to take 2 weeks off.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If it helps at all, when you pass through this crucible you will be able to get less insane devops/cloud jobs for much much more money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial posted:

under so much stress and pressure that I'm downing a 1/3 of a bottle of whiskey a night.

Take time off, at least the first few days of next week. You cannot keep that up.

It's worth trying to swing this into a role where you learn enough to do it well, but that means your employer giving you the resources both in terms of training and breathing space to make a success of it.

There's probably some goons here that work for consulting firms that you could approach blind so nobody knows who referred who, to get the pressure off a bit.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

Take time off, at least the first few days of next week. You cannot keep that up.

It's worth trying to swing this into a role where you learn enough to do it well, but that means your employer giving you the resources both in terms of training and breathing space to make a success of it.

There's probably some goons here that work for consulting firms that you could approach blind so nobody knows who referred who, to get the pressure off a bit.

All of my time off is already allocated for family poo poo. I've got a golf trip coming up in June though so that should help.

Thing is I kind of enjoy the Cloud side of things. Working in AWS is pretty neat and most of the underlying technologies I am familiar with on some level, Amazon just calls it something else. Working with developers and in CI/CD pipelines though can gently caress right off. I'd rather work helpdesk than work with web developers.

They were initially hesitant to give me training with the argument "what if we give you training and then you leave?" Which is kind of short-sighted and lovely but whatever. At this point I might as well just do the training myself and leave anyways. I'm looking into the AWS Solutions Architect and SysOps Administrator certs. There are courses on Udemy for pretty cheap and the cert is like $100 so I might as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Only you know yourself but hitting the bottle each night to get through the week doesn’t sound like something you should wait until June to try and get out from under. Hope the work gets easier for you.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Nobody really addressed the useless jr dev op?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Explain dark fiber to me. I pay some ISP/telco/whatever some money each month, they patch up the right poo poo in the right places, I can set up some networking equipment on either end and voila, connectivity?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The "dark" part means the fiber path is physical and your equipment sends light (layer 1) over it end-to-end. Your equipment could be Ethernet, Fiber Channel, DWM, etc. You choose the protocols and how to use the circuit.

This is opposed to, for example, a Metro Ethernet service where your layer 2 frames are switched through the provider's network over fiber that their equipment lights up.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

Only you know yourself but hitting the bottle each night to get through the week doesn’t sound like something you should wait until June to try and get out from under. Hope the work gets easier for you.

I am not making light of the situation, I am well aware how unhealthy and bad it is. There really is no explanation I can give that makes any of it ok, it's bad on all accounts and I am aware of that.

Let's just say that my options are limited.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

bolind posted:

Explain dark fiber to me. I pay some ISP/telco/whatever some money each month, they patch up the right poo poo in the right places, I can set up some networking equipment on either end and voila, connectivity?

Something to keep in mind is that it's "unmanaged", so when there is an outage there's lots of finger pointing at you (saying your optics are hosed), and then it's a slow process for the fiber techs (1 per side generally) who get to walk the line to find the spot where the fiber is damaged. There's no 10min outages on dark fiber.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You need to factor in the costs of various test equipment and/or a contract with a company who can do that for you if you go down that route

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I am realtime teaching this other devops guy how to navigate linux in a migration meeting with 10 other ppl in it.

“ls -l”
“No sorry, ls space -l”

systemctl stop [serviceX]
*permission denied*
"it's sudo systemctl stop."

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sorry but I forget sudo all the time

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I should have a keybind for sudo !! but I'd probably just forget that too.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

sudo bash
Done.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I also really hate it when ppl copy/paste directories. It legit takes longer to highlight c+p than it does to just type and tab completion

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

I am realtime teaching this other devops guy how to navigate linux in a migration meeting with 10 other ppl in it.

“ls -l”
“No sorry, ls space -l”

systemctl stop [serviceX]
*permission denied*
"it's sudo systemctl stop."

MustardFacial posted:

I also really hate it when ppl copy/paste directories. It legit takes longer to highlight c+p than it does to just type and tab completion

Hey friend, I see we work with the same people. I intensely feel your pain! Backseating a coworker who can't type and fumbles around because they don't understand what they're doing is one of the worst things. Just let me drive and we'll all be done with this sooner.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Dear thread,

What is the fastest way to become semi-capable in AWS cli? Is there like a cheat sheet somewhere? I’d like to be able to do some basic stuff without having to “help” on every command

Your’s truly
MustardFacial

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

theres this?

but I'm not strong enough on aws to vouch for quality

really though, its just practice
do something with a tool everyday and it eventually becomes natural

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The Fool posted:

really though, its just practice
do something with a tool everyday and it eventually becomes natural

Yeah, it's this. Especially for cli tools.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Some of the commands are just mindless, expect to look up the syntax every time. Consulting the documentation is not a bad thing.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

So..... I'm at a client now with about 50 Surfaces on InTune. How do I look up the ship date and warranty expiration date? I found this site: https://mybusinessservice.surface.com/ but the "Submit" button is greyed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that a different link to https://endpoint.microsoft.com/#blade/Microsoft_Azure_Surface/SurfaceManagement.ReactView