Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

My first PvP experience in this game was ambushing some PMC guy and blasting him dead in the chest with my lovely scav shotgun, followed by getting an error message telling me to fix my weapon malfunction instead of a second shot as I watched him take what felt like forever to react, find me, and kill the poo poo out of me.
My subsequent PvP experiences have primarily been getting owned by gilded PMC players who graduated top of their class in the Navy Seals and have over 300 confirmed kills.

Yet the game is gripping, in a weird way nothing else has been since PUBG was new, and Tarkov is so much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That’s going to be the PvP experience for a good while— it’s hard to break habits like going for center mass or headshots even when you know your bullet likely won’t punch through their armor. Eventually you’ll learn which bullets are capable of reliable chest shots, head shots through helmets, and so on. For scavs and low level PMC PvP it’s good to get in the habit of going for the legs, especially if you have a shotgun; bullets with lower armor penetration deal more damage to flesh, legs can’t be armored, and besides that you’ll likely black out one/both which slows them down significantly.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
If there is one piece of advice I could give, it's that staying still isn't as safe as you'd think.

Stay moving. Especially if you're indoors. Don't let yourself get boxed in by holding an angle etc too long.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
non-resort Shoreline has been infested with PMCs this last week. I just want my scav shotgun headshots :smith:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Is my AK-74U supposed to be this uncontrollable at full auto?

https://media.giphy.com/media/HAvKI29pLmqVDm6vU1/giphy.mp4

https://streamable.com/nbudxm

Edit: What's a good hosting service for short video clips that allows really big sizes? (720p, 1080p, 1440p?)

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 20, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Charles 1998 posted:

Edit: What's a good hosting service for short video clips that allows really big sizes? (720p, 1080p, 1440p?)

Depending on what mods you have on it, yes. Tarkov frontloads the accuracy loss for full-auto— that initial burst where it climbs like a mountaingoat then evens out after a bit. This is why prefiring is a good habit to get into if you know someone is going to be coming into your sights or you’re about to push. It gets that kick out if the way so you have a better idea of where your bullets are going to go when it counts.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Charles 1998 posted:

I like streamable but they require a paid account for permanent hosting, but you can post 720p on the free account. Probably higher res on the paid.

https://streamable.com/vyarjt

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Bussamove posted:

Depending on what mods you have on it, yes. Tarkov frontloads the accuracy loss for full-auto— that initial burst where it climbs like a mountaingoat then evens out after a bit. This is why prefiring is a good habit to get into if you know someone is going to be coming into your sights or you’re about to push. It gets that kick out if the way so you have a better idea of where your bullets are going to go when it counts.

I've just seen some streamers and their guns on full auto have way less recoil, but not the same gun. Is the AK 74U just hard to control on full auto? Or can I mod it to be a laser?

El Jebus posted:

I like streamable but they require a paid account for permanent hosting, but you can post 720p on the free account. Probably higher res on the paid.

https://streamable.com/vyarjt

Maybe I'll just stick to Youtube then. They at least support embedding here.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Charles 1998 posted:

I've just seen some streamers and their guns on full auto have way less recoil, but not the same gun. Is the AK 74U just hard to control on full auto? Or can I mod it to be a laser?

In Tarkov the AK-74U specifically has poor base accuracy and recoil and even if you put a ton of money into it it never ceases being rough to work with. It's (afaik) intentionally a cheap/low tier full auto gun, the -74 series in general isn't amazing/capable of being modded into true meta lasers, and the -74U is by far the worst of them (as in: plenty of people will use -74 variants to good success, but will avoid the 74U if they have a choice/aren't just using "free" weapons/not doing The Punisher - Part 3).

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 20, 2022

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Charles 1998 posted:

Maybe I'll just stick to Youtube then. They at least support embedding here.

Yeah, youtube isn't perfect but if I was trying to share a video here that is what I would use most of the time.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

LGD posted:

In Tarkov the AK-74U specifically has poor base accuracy and recoil and even if you put a ton of money into it it never ceases being rough to work with. It's (afaik) intentionally a cheap/low tier full auto gun, the -74 series in general isn't amazing/capable of being modded into meta lasers, and the -74U is by far the worst of them.

Thanks, I guess the AK-74U is a good choice then because I wanted a cheap gun for factory runs.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Charles 1998 posted:

Thanks, I guess the AK-74U is a good choice then because I wanted a cheap gun for factory runs.

Yep, it can be a fine value play and factory is the proper environment for it, just be sure to look at alternatives b/c other 5.45 AKs may not be much (or at all) more expensive, especially once you account for the level of modding necessary to hit a given level of performance.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Currently i am doing the punisher quest for requiring scav killing with the ak-74u, single shots the way to go

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Yeah if you're scav-killing, tippy-taps to the head will always work.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Squiggle posted:

Yeah if you're scav-killing, tippy-taps to the head will always work.

Some scavs have 40 head HP now for some god forsaken reason so some ammo takes two :smith:

Very depressing

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Charles 1998 posted:

Factory. AKSU, double flashlights, drum magazine. Never ADS, just walk your way across the map constantly firing. That's my Tarkov decompression prescription.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Factory. AKSU, double flashlights, drum magazine. Never ADS, just walk your way across the map constantly firing. That's my Tarkov decompression prescription.

Same, but an MP5 with a suppressor and three dirt cheap NcStar blue lasers.

Sit in an office and go full Predator on any footsteps you hear.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Why can't I build my gun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTyB7QsBg5A

Edit: I manually bought the laser off the Auction House, and it built fine. Wonder why it wasn't warning me about the missing part.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 23, 2022

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WusHMEPwB5o

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is player SCAV agro still broken with this patch?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is player SCAV agro still broken with this patch?

Depends what you're referring to specifically, but running as a scav is pretty solid wrt killing people who agro you first and other scavs being ok with it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
All traders down except Fence who has randomized loot. No flea market. And I JUST UNLOCKED MY SCAV CASE but now they only take cash and apparently just run off with it. Awesome.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

And I JUST UNLOCKED MY SCAV CASE but now they only take cash and apparently just run off with it. Awesome.
:laugh:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Nikita does increasingly crazy poo poo every pre-wipe and I love it

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Fence just started buying stuff for more than therapist, ragman, or mechanic used to pay. He's buying bitcoins for 341k right now

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Gay Hitler posted:

Fence just started buying stuff for more than therapist, ragman, or mechanic used to pay. He's buying bitcoins for 341k right now

He's not good at this monopoly thing, he should be undercutting the prices like crazy :v:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Umbreon posted:

Nikita does increasingly crazy poo poo every pre-wipe and I love it

*Highly* doubt there is a wipe coming any time in the immediate future. I'm happy to be wrong, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Zipperelli. posted:

*Highly* doubt there is a wipe coming any time in the immediate future. I'm happy to be wrong, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Yeah seems like more of a way to reset the economy mid wipe which is also cool

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Gay Hitler posted:

yeah but aside from clearing stash space, you can't really buy anything so money's just kinda.... a thing.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

AlternateAccount posted:

yeah but aside from clearing stash space, you can't really buy anything so money's just kinda.... a thing.

There is the scav box money event right now

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

WirelessPillow posted:

There is the scav box money event right now

I see that. https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/cash

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I donated 28 million. Had to sell all the contents of my 2 scav cases.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
So Nikita wants players to donate a total 1.5 billion rubles to get vendors back? I feel like this is just a college level sociology experiment. I'm trying to figure out how this could be implemented in the game in future wipes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ChesterJT posted:

So Nikita wants players to donate a total 1.5 billion rubles to get vendors back? I feel like this is just a college level sociology experiment. I'm trying to figure out how this could be implemented in the game in future wipes.
Escape from Tarkov: The Scavford Prison Experiment

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Nikita trying to help prop up the value of the rouble

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

Trillion

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

ChesterJT posted:

I'm trying to figure out how this could be implemented in the game in future wipes.

There's lore to this event. Not everything is Nikita drunkenly messing with stuff at 3 am. like he used to.

Just have fun with it. Latest rumor is that we're losing a trader """permanently""" because they're dead, apparently.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Zipperelli. posted:

There's lore to this event. Not everything is Nikita drunkenly messing with stuff at 3 am. like he used to.

Just have fun with it. Latest rumor is that we're losing a trader """permanently""" because they're dead, apparently.

PleaseletitbeJagerpleaseletitbeJagerpleaseletitbeJager

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

It'll be Pharmacist or Mechanic and you know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Squiggle posted:

It'll be Pharmacist or Mechanic and you know it

Harmacist.