Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I did that a few years ago and it's a real trip through shifting cultural attitudes and media landscapes. Each season a weird little time capsule through a specific reality show lens. There's also just a ton of good gameplay and game design evolution to be observed when binging through em all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
johnadumb

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Rocksroy be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qLm8nZxQc

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ripsroy

oh looks like Johnathon was hungry for his own foot

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 28, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Jonathan is showing his rear end tonight.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
okay i miscounted some of the scramble, but my impression was that tori was going to go anyway?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

okay i miscounted some of the scramble, but my impression was that tori was going to go anyway?

Yeah, I think so, she was the last person to be included in the scramble, and I'm pretty sure that was just Maryanne telling her that she was going to use her idol.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
I join a Survivor pool every year at work and don’t watch it. I drew Jonathan and Omar this year and am pleasantly surprised they’re both still alive even though I know that it doesn’t necessarily matter. Still haven’t bothered paying the entrance fee. How am I looking goons?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Not a big deal but I feel like Jeff should’ve just let them vote. And I understand everything Drea and Maryanne were saying, and I get why Maryanne played her idol, but she really could’ve held it. I’m sorry she felt like she had to throw it away.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jonathan probably really regretting winning the “privilege” of having his tc second haha

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

So, could Lindsey not done a shot in the dark of Tori was safe?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oh sure, NOW all of a sudden Tori wants a shot

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Antiquated Pants posted:

They probably brought down the SITD to 1/6 for the split tribal instead of 2/12. If Tori was safe, there probably wasn't a second "Safe" for Lindsey to get.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Lmao.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

My real takeaway from this episode is that the tribe split double council gimmick is not a thing I like.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Antiquated Pants posted:

Long odds, but couldn't this result in all five people at Tribal having immunity? Wonder what the rules are for that

Studio posted:

My real takeaway from this episode is that the tribe split double council gimmick is not a thing I like.

This -- I don't mind it pre-merge but this late in the game all it seems to do is give the majority alliance two bites of the apple, which goes against the intention of pretty much every other gimmick on the show.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ninjahedgehog posted:

Long odds, but couldn't this result in all five people at Tribal having immunity? Wonder what the rules are for that
No. The dice metaphor is incredibly misleading but it seems to be a lottery system where there's between 1 and 2 winning "Safe" papers, not something where every individual player could potentially become immune.

Tori winning would mean that Lindsey gets Cirie'd as the last player without immunity.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 28, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ninjahedgehog posted:

This -- I don't mind it pre-merge but this late in the game all it seems to do is give the majority alliance two bites of the apple, which goes against the intention of pretty much every other gimmick on the show.

I mean it's also happened before where the minority becomes the majority in one of the new mini tribes. Or you just have what happened tonight where the majority uses this as an opportunity to take out one of their own because it's easier to swing.

I actually don't like it because of the first thing. Would just be a really lovely way to get voted out if you positioned yourself well in a majority.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 28, 2022

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Misogyny club.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Raxivace posted:

No. The dice metaphor is incredibly misleading but it seems to be a lottery system where there's between 1 and 2 winning "Safe" papers, not something where every individual player could potentially become immune.

Tori winning would mean that Lindsey gets Cirie'd as the last player without immunity.

I imagine there is always only 6 scrolls of paper in the bag with 1 of them being "Safe"

There is basically not any scenario ever where more than 6 people would want to play their shot in the dark at the same tribal, so there's no reason for them to do a 2/12 in the bag. (Realistically, it's highly unlikely you'd even have 2 people play it at once)

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 28, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Geeze man that was heartbreaking. Good on Drea and Maryanne and I wish the world was better so they didn’t have to play with an extra burden.

IcePhoenix posted:

I mean it's also happened before where the minority becomes the majority in one of the new mini tribes. Or you just have what happened tonight where the majority uses this as an opportunity to take out one of their own because it's easier to swing.

I actually don't like it because of the first thing. Would just be a really lovely way to get voted out if you positioned yourself well in a majority.

They talked about it on the Survivor Know ir Alls last week and they couldn’t come up with a time where the mini tribes actually broke the majority off the top of their heads post merge. I am sure it’s happened but at this point I have given up betting on it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kind of interesting to see Drea flip the script so much and have so much emotion with Rocksroy being voted out and turning it into a very open & honest discussion on race. But in doing so, Maryanne and Drea both burned their idols and probably hurt their game.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The majority had an 8-2 or 7-3 advantage here (depending where you count Maryanne) and were about to lop off two of their own, by choice. Pretty interesting game decisions here this time in the 5/5.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Kind of interesting to see Drea flip the script so much and have so much emotion with Rocksroy being voted out and turning it into a very open & honest discussion on race. But in doing so, Maryanne and Drea both burned their idols and probably hurt their game.
Maryanne thought she had to because otherwise people would think she played on race to be safe, and she was likely right people would say that. But idk it’s obviously not why she would’ve been safe and those people are going to be complaining anyway about this TC so I don’t know if she had to do that. I was impressed how well-spoken she was for someone who usually comes off as very silly.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

The majority had an 8-2 or 7-3 advantage here (depending where you count Maryanne) and were about to lop off two of their own, by choice. Pretty interesting game decisions here this time in the 5/5.

Well, not really. Hai and Mike realized that there was no swaying Rocksroy, that he was a stubborn guy who always has to have his way. They hedged their bets on getting rid of him last night, and dealing with the fallout later.

Plus this was the alliance that forced Hai's hand in voting out his number one ally, Lydia, specifically to reduce his power in the game. And now with talk of them forming a sub, all guy's alliance, Hai has little interest in playing with them anymore.

Omar was kind of brought into the alliance by Jonathan without any discussion, he's not really playing with the alliance. And Romeo is on the outside of the alliance. The vote made sense, every single person made a move that they thought was in their own best interest.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well RIP Jonathan, the edit was savage to him tonight. So glad I ponied Maryanne instead.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well RIP Jonathan, the edit was savage to him tonight. So glad I ponied Maryanne instead.

Was it the edit? Or was it just Jonathan himself revealing that he has no brain for strategy, and that he got outwardly angry at Drea and Maryanne for discussing their experiences as black women?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihonniboku posted:

Was it the edit? Or was it just Jonathan himself revealing that he has no brain for strategy, and that he got outwardly angry at Drea and Maryanne for discussing their experiences as black women?

Oh a lot of it was Jonathan. But the edit deliberately also showed us those moments. It's a meta way of looking at it but I don't think they'd show that for a winner.

I'm not vilifying too much yet since he did have that hug with Drea at the end, so maybe he can actually learn from it as a human being. But shrug.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

He was upset because his (dumb) plan got blown up for a reason that misrepresents him, or at the very least how he views himself. You really think he's mad because he didn't get to hurt a minority?

E: I should add that the ep made very clear his ability to make moves was always on thin ice and now he sees a shot at one and when he tries it he gets called a racist? Drea clarified the accusations he felt but the sting was still there at the time. Of course he's upset. It's his fault he was upset because it was still a dumb plan and he should have kept low.

Sighence fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 28, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sighence posted:

He was upset because his (dumb) plan got blown up for a reason that misrepresents him, or at the very least how he views himself. You really think he's mad because he didn't get to hurt a minority?

No, nobody said that, you don't get to twist people's words in some kind of attempt to defend the guy.

He did though show his rear end in a way that a lot of people have during sensitive discussions about race in the last 2+ years.

It's amazing that in all of these reality shows that have tried to tackle these discussions, the cast of Bravo's Summer House handled it the best.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Seriously. This bugged me. You play your shot in the dark in the booth when you're not sure where the votes will fall. Without the alternative voting process that happened, Drea and Maryanne don't necessarily play their idols before the vote, so Tori wouldn't have had that information as a sure thing and her own vote wouldn't necessarily have been restricted to going for Lindsay. She only went for shot in the dark after she knew she was about to be voted out/the votes were "cast", which isn't how it's supposed to work at all. I'm really surprised production allowed that, it was extremely sloppy of them.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Maryanne thought she had to because otherwise people would think she played on race to be safe, and she was likely right people would say that. But idk it’s obviously not why she would’ve been safe and those people are going to be complaining anyway about this TC so I don’t know if she had to do that. I was impressed how well-spoken she was for someone who usually comes off as very silly.

Imo they should probably just not do open votes unless it's a Brandon Hantz, Varnet situation. This... wasn't that.

Also Maryanne is in seminary, I would expect them to be very well spoken lol

Studio fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 28, 2022

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Edit: new phone accident post

Double Edit :smooth: :

Actually something good about this that Survivor can pat themselves on the back for: that there were enough black players in Survivor where a black player could notice black players getting voted out come merge. Which uh, let's be real wasn't possible most seasons. I would still like more Latino castaways, CBS :colbert:.

My biggest gripe is that Drea shouldn't be walking into a Tribal Council surprised about who was voted out - and that's the gimmicks fault and not Drea's. That's just not how post-merge should work.

Studio fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 28, 2022

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

Seriously. This bugged me. You play your shot in the dark in the booth when you're not sure where the votes will fall. Without the alternative voting process that happened, Drea and Maryanne don't necessarily play their idols before the vote, so Tori wouldn't have had that information as a sure thing and her own vote wouldn't necessarily have been restricted to going for Lindsay. She only went for shot in the dark after she knew she was about to be voted out/the votes were "cast", which isn't how it's supposed to work at all. I'm really surprised production allowed that, it was extremely sloppy of them.
Haha I think that was a joke about her being anti-vaxx you quoted. I agree though that it's a little tilted that she literally knows she's getting the votes before playing her shot in the dark, but you also can't deny her an opportunity that everyone is supposed to have, right? That would be worse.

It's a symptom of Jeff disrupting the normal vote process. Ultimately though they should've just voted. I also don't like this "hand in your idol ahead of time" stuff either. If that's allowed people can't bluff playing an idol because their opponents can just say "go turn it in now then."

I liked how Drea saw Rocksroy up on the jury and then said the first few times they went to her, "I'm still thinking about it." Very composed to gather her thoughts before speaking. Not great on Jonathan to initially get defensive about it but not unforgivable and it did seem like he came around. At the end of the day yeah Drea and Maryanne speaking very movingly to their thoughts after seeing two black faces to open the jury doesn't really necessitate canceling Tribal Council imo.

Rocksroy was a pretty fun character. Like obviously very socially flawed and not great at the game but that can be fun and I like how his edit wasn't one-note, and he got some good stuff on exile.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Propaganda Machine posted:

I don't know, the way things played out I don't think it is really a big deal at all as it was pretty much crystal clear to Jeff how the votes were going to fall after Drea and Maryanne played their idols before the votes (which has always been allowed in the past), which caused Jeff to go to the alternate vote because it was crystal clear how everyone was voting.

Tori knew where the votes were going to fall, because everyone just told her to her face that it was her over Lindsey. So Jeff called the audible on the vote, which also would free up a couple minutes for the edit as there was a lot to get in that tribal.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't know, the way things played out I don't think it is really a big deal at all as it was pretty much crystal clear to Jeff how the votes were going to fall after Drea and Maryanne played their idols before the votes, which caused Jeff to go to the alternate vote because it was crystal clear how everyone was voting.

Tori knew where the votes were going to fall, because everyone just told her to her face that it was her over Lindsey. So Jeff called the audible on the vote, which also would free up a couple minutes for the edit as there was a lot to get in that tribal.

They tried to skip Kaoh Rong tribal on the Heat Exhaustion episode and if they had we wouldn't have had Jeff straight up telling a player they were probably getting voted out and it didn't look like there was any saving them, and that player being like "yeah." Which was Extremely Funny to me. Stick to the plan outside of monsters imo :colbert:

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

No, nobody said that, you don't get to twist people's words in some kind of attempt to defend the guy.

Showing an rear end sure seems to be tantamount to doing a racism. I'd love that line to be clarified, especially now that I rewatched the second tc and have some less than good thoughts about him.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Sighence posted:

Showing an rear end sure seems to be tantamount to doing a racism. I'd love that line to be clarified, especially now that I rewatched the second tc and have some less than good thoughts about him.

I really read that more about him showing that he's not the super chill dude he's been portrayed as this whole time.

Both times a woman tried to talk to him he said they were being aggressive and he was very dismissive of them. He just seemed overly rude and refused to listen the second he got some pushback. Also he really showed this lack of forethought when Lindsey pointed out the flaw in his plan.

Lindsey even specifically told Drea that she hadn't been aggressive after Jonathan said Drea was. She was clearly still annoyed when he called her aggressive on the beach for having the audacity to question his plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Extra bit of Jonathan drama that I got from a Survivor Reddit and don't know if it's true or not

quote:

he blocked bryce isaiah after he made it known he was his crush for the season.

which, lol