Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I have a Motive tool and it works great once it is set up perfectly. Buy the cap for your vehicle if they offer one. The "universal" cap adapter with the J hooks and the chain is a pain in the rear end.

MRC48B posted:

Suggestion: Replace the hex head fasteners with dome headed carriage bolts. I forsee someone damaging themselves or getting caught on the hex edges.
I added two more sets of wheels to support the middle of the creeper. I also used a Forstner bit to deep countersink the washers and the tops of the bolts below the surface of the wood. I figure I can maybe glue some rare earth magnets onto the tops of the bolts for tool holding.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
If you like the idea of a Motive pressure bleeder but are super cheap you can build your own. I bought the cheapest garden sprayer from Lowe's, unscrewed the wand, and screwed a female quick disconnect from an air line on its place. Then you just build adapters by taking a junkyard cap and drilling a hole in the middle to screw in the male fitting and plugging the vent hold with epoxy.

I'm sure a Motive is much nicer, but it still works pretty good and you can't beat the price.

Bonus: I can still start/stop the air with the thumb switch so I didn't need to add a ball valve as mentioned above.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

devmd01 posted:

Was about to recommend this myself, had one for my VWs. Pro tip, get a ball valve with the right size fittings and put it in the middle of the hose from reservoir to cap. That way you don’t have to re-pump the air in the bottle every time you take the reservoir cap off to top off the fluid.

Not necessary to do this. You're supposed to put fluid into the power bleeder and it goes into the MC on it's own.

quote:

5. If no leaks are found, slowly unscrew pump cap and add up to 2 quarts of new hydraulic fluid from a sealed container. Use only the type of hydraulic fluid recommended for your vehicle.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PBCrunch posted:

And a little riser/shelf thing I made to hold up our enormous air fryer/toaster oven machine in the kitchen.

So, question I've been meaning to ask:

What exactly is the difference between an convection toaster oven and an "air fryer?"

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

slidebite posted:

What exactly is the difference between an convection toaster oven and an "air fryer?"

I don't know that there is a difference. But I don't know if I've ever seen a convection toaster oven either.

What I do know is that this thing kicks rear end at cooking fresh vegetables (especially broccoli and Brussels sprouts), cooking frozen fried foods (fries, chicken nuggets, etc), and reheating leftover pizza.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 22, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

I don't know that there is a difference. But I don't know if I've ever seen a convection toaster oven either.

I've seen a few years ago. What's even more common are convection microwaves. And they've been around forever.

Air Fryer(TM) is just clever marketing of capabilities that already existed. Nothing wrong with that, but the reason a lot of people simply don't get it is because it's not at all new. It's just packaging.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Mine does an excellent job of reflowing circuit boards, with a few SSRs and a controller.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

slidebite posted:

I *believe* the convection toaster is moving air to keep temperature even (it's a little mini convection oven), the air fryer is specifically aiming to blow as much air as possible while maintaining temp to simulate frying in oil. On paper both are doing generally the same thing, it's just how much air is being moved. You could translate a cake baking recipe 1:1 from an oven to the convection toaster, but if you made it in the air fryer it would be overdone on the outside by the time the inside was cooked.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Commodore_64 posted:

Mine does an excellent job of reflowing circuit boards, with a few SSRs and a controller.

I did similar with a regular toaster oven but put a fire brick in it to add mass to keep the temp more stable. Longer warmup time but it worked much better. (it was not convection, just something I picked up at the restore for $5 and I was using an STC-1000)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got a curbfind convection microwave around here that I'm probably not going to use since I'm about to move into a place with a non-kaput microwave. I should see if it has a convection-only setting that would let me use it as a shop oven. Thanks for the idea, goons.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

slidebite posted:

My experience with convection toaster ovens is limited. But compared to my air fryer, it moves SIGNIFICANTLY less air, aside from that they're about the same. For example, if i was to use my air fryer to try to reflow a board for some reason, I'd come back to find every component blown off rather than the solder melted.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a brake bleeding tool? I've used the empty soda bottle with a little fluid put in the bottom and a hose into it before but I'm trying to get in the habit of replacing my fluid every year or two since it's hygroscopic and I don't live with anyone else so if I can get a decent tool for like :20bux: :20bux: or something that might be worth getting rid of the hassle.

get a Motive brake bleeder for your make/model if they aren't ridiculously expensive. (https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=motive+brake+bleeder&_sacat=0)

I've got one of the metal capped ones for one of my vehicles and it's a breeze, You can of course buy more expensive shop setups but this thing makes it a breeze for you average home mechanic.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Where can I get an assortment kit of factory style spring hose clamps that aren't made of chinese cheese?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PBCrunch posted:

What I do know is that this thing kicks rear end at cooking fresh vegetables (especially broccoli and Brussels sprouts), cooking frozen fried foods (fries, chicken nuggets, etc), and reheating leftover pizza.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I *believe* the convection toaster is moving air to keep temperature even (it's a little mini convection oven), the air fryer is specifically aiming to blow as much air as possible while maintaining temp to simulate frying in oil. On paper both are doing generally the same thing, it's just how much air is being moved. You could translate a cake baking recipe 1:1 from an oven to the convection toaster, but if you made it in the air fryer it would be overdone on the outside by the time the inside was cooked.
That makes sense.

We've had a convection toaster oven for *years* and use it for cooking small things or frozen pizzas.

I think, from what I can tell and has been suggested, the "air fryers" have bigger/faster fans in them for more air flow.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Majere posted:

Where can I get an assortment kit of factory style spring hose clamps that aren't made of chinese cheese?

Spring band clamps are by nature annealed steel. Is there a specific problem you are having? The random Chinese Amazon kit does fine for me. If you want better start looking at fuel injection line hose clamps or T Bolt clamps. Both have an OE feel but still better than worm gear.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Air fryer chat: my (full sized) convection oven's air fry mode doesn't seem to be much different than the convection mode. It might run the fan a bit more/faster but I can't really tell.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Majere posted:

McMaster?

McMaster-Carr Page:
https://www.mcmaster.com/Hose-Clamps

Disclosure, my mom used to work for them and they treated her amazingly at the end of her work life.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Majere posted:

Self serve junk yard. Take some pliers and something to cut hoses and spend half an hour grabbing hose clamps off of Japanese imports.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PBCrunch posted:

Self serve junk yard. Take some pliers and something to cut hoses and spend half an hour grabbing hose clamps off of Japanese imports.

I mean this the best, but mcmaster will deliver.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
any recs for garden hose reels? i'm sick of the lovely plastic one i have and just want something that reels a 50' hose easily and will last a long time.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Stainless Coxreel. Don't look at the price, just click buy.

Seriously, all the cheap ones are plastic and crap.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Wow, some of those hose reels are over $2,500.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

any recs for garden hose reels? i'm sick of the lovely plastic one i have and just want something that reels a 50' hose easily and will last a long time.

I bought one of these for my parents at least 7 years ago (maybe closer to 10 actually) and it still works perfectly. https://www.eleyhosereels.com/products/wall-mount-garden-hose-reel I got one for my new house and am very happy with it. I also have their watering nozzle, adjustable nozzle, ball valve, and quick disconnects and like them all too.

Galler fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 26, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have a Flexzilla reel and while I like it a lot, the "layering mechanism" seems to have gotten out of time so now it bunches up. Their support was responsive initially but hasn't replied since I sent them the photos they asked for so my opinion on it is slipping.

That Eley reel looks nice and if I were doing it again I'd perhaps consider that reel paired with a Flexzilla hose.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The internet has informed me that I'm weird for never having garden hose problems. I have a Suncast (?) reel from Lowe's where I flip a lever and a little water-wheel winds my hose up for me. The thing that tracks back and forth keeps the hose from ending up all on one side, but not well enough to keep it from looking ugly if I cared to open the lid but the theoretical maximum is about double the 100' of hose* I keep on there so it isn't a problem. I've had it for ~6 years and hopefully it doesn't break soon because it doesn't look like they sell it anymore.

To me, I don't care how well built a reel is if it doesn't have the little guide that layers your hose for you so you don't need to guide the hose onto the reel yourself.

Protip: Want to have an easy time with your hose reel? Take the end of you hose (its probably already in your hand) and walk straight out from your reel, then turn around and come back. If you have a lot of hose, or a fence in the way, grab the middle and bring it to the reel too. That probably took 15 seconds and now your hose is in a couple nice lines and you're not dragging more than 25' of hose at a time.

*NeverKink hose, which reviews have told me kinks for everyone but me. I got it over a decade ago because I briefly worked in the garden center and watched it stand up to getting run over by a forklift constantly. I have trouble kinking it on purpose if I want to take the quick-connect off for faster filling of something.

Logistics
Mar 7, 2009

Most users here don't react too well to gay posts!

Uthor posted:

McMaster?

McMaster-Carr Page:
https://www.mcmaster.com/Hose-Clamps

Disclosure, my mom used to work for them and they treated her amazingly at the end of her work life.

Thank you for mentioning McMaster-Carr! Ironically, I have never purchased anything from them, but I look through their catalog like a department store Christmas gift catalog. I have an old catalog from the transformer manufacturer I used to work at, and it still has a listing for genuine IBM 3.5" diskettes! Of course they don't carry them any longer. I'm hoping to purchase a spot-weld cutter and some grinding discs from McMaster to see how they compare to the stuff I've been using (and a better-than-Harbor-Freight belt-sander belt).

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

At some point mcmaster finally started showing the shipping costs before checkout (instead of after the order shipped) and now I use them a lot more. If I'm fine with chinese factory seconds then I generally still go with amazon/ebay but if it's even vaguely important mcmaster all the way.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That Eley reel looks nice and if I were doing it again I'd perhaps consider that reel paired with a Flexzilla hose.

That's the combo I'm using. The flexzilla hoses are maybe a little too flexible sometimes (absolutely zero kink resistance) but I'll take that over dealing with a hose that won't uncoil.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cat Hatter posted:

The internet has informed me that I'm weird for never having garden hose problems. I have a Suncast (?) reel from Lowe's where I flip a lever and a little water-wheel winds my hose up for me. The thing that tracks back and forth keeps the hose from ending up all on one side, but not well enough to keep it from looking ugly if I cared to open the lid but the theoretical maximum is about double the 100' of hose* I keep on there so it isn't a problem. I've had it for ~6 years and hopefully it doesn't break soon because it doesn't look like they sell it anymore.

To me, I don't care how well built a reel is if it doesn't have the little guide that layers your hose for you so you don't need to guide the hose onto the reel yourself.

Protip: Want to have an easy time with your hose reel? Take the end of you hose (its probably already in your hand) and walk straight out from your reel, then turn around and come back. If you have a lot of hose, or a fence in the way, grab the middle and bring it to the reel too. That probably took 15 seconds and now your hose is in a couple nice lines and you're not dragging more than 25' of hose at a time.

*NeverKink hose, which reviews have told me kinks for everyone but me. I got it over a decade ago because I briefly worked in the garden center and watched it stand up to getting run over by a forklift constantly. I have trouble kinking it on purpose if I want to take the quick-connect off for faster filling of something.

Pls stop with the link shaming.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cat Hatter posted:

The internet has informed me that I'm

OH GOD YES!! SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT!!!

I have a hose reel at work that stores two 100 foot lengths of hydraulic hoses. They are full of fluid and HEAVY. Me and one other guy have figured out how to do that. Everyone else I've shown can't seem to grasp the concept of how to do that or that it's sooooo much easier, even after I've shown then multiple times.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I guess I’m spending $500 on garden hose accessories now. Thanks thread.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I finished up my XXTREEM HD creeper (for now).

I added two additional wheels (six total), countersunk the wheel bolt heads, glued magnets to the tops of the middle wheel bolts for wrench holding, rolled three coats of bedliner onto it, and then glued on some EVA foam. I haven't used it yet. but I have laid down on it a couple times and it is comfortable enough, rolls well, and doesn't tip over when I gracelessly disembark.

I also got a new tool chest to replace a Craftsman unit my wife hit with my car several years ago. The non-bearing drawer guides on the old unit completely gave up. The Husky chest was on sale for $100 off, but only on the blue color. I had considered building a new box out of box-jointed 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood, but sheet goods costs are bananas and my time is not infinite.

I have already modified the tool chest by replacing the two straight-line-only wheels with a pair of 360* casters.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Looks like an SGI or Sun rack front door 👍🏼

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

meltie posted:

Looks like an SGI or Sun rack front door 👍🏼

I miss SGI. They made some bomb-rear end hardware with incredible industrial design.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I had a bunch of their 90s stuff that was running the original hardware and Irix. Sold it all while at Uni because hey needed to eat and it was collectible.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

BigPaddy posted:

I had a bunch of their 90s stuff that was running the original hardware and Irix. Sold it all while at Uni because hey needed to eat and it was collectible.

I learned to program in IDL on an Octane2 with an Onyx storage system. IRIX was really neat.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Can’t talk about 90s SGI without this

https://youtu.be/X-mwyLitQcY

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Galler posted:

I bought one of these for my parents at least 7 years ago (maybe closer to 10 actually) and it still works perfectly. https://www.eleyhosereels.com/products/wall-mount-garden-hose-reel I got one for my new house and am very happy with it. I also have their watering nozzle, adjustable nozzle, ball valve, and quick disconnects and like them all too.

Definite second on this. I have one in the backyard and want another for the front!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

PBCrunch posted:

I finished up my XXTREEM HD creeper (for now).

Consider maybe bolting on a couple pieces of thin sheet steel so you can pop some of those magnetic hardware-holder bowls on and off depending on the job.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

spookykid posted:

Consider maybe bolting on a couple pieces of thin sheet steel so you can pop some of those magnetic hardware-holder bowls on and off depending on the job.
That is a pretty good idea. There is all kinds of neat stuff you can attach with magnets.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for prescription safety glasses? I had some Zenni ones made a long time ago but I didn't like them. They were like regular safety glasses with something like a prescription lens insert. They fogged up all the time and I just generally didn't like them. I want something where the safety lens and the corrective lens are one and the same. I do some abrasive blasting without a cabinet, so keeping stuff from coming at my eyes from the sides would be awesome.

Same question but for 2-1/2" shop vac hoses. I have a big Shop Vac and the hose that came with it is lovely. It kinks all the time and I hate it. I have a Ridgid brand 1-7/8" "Pro-Grade" (orange) hose and adapter kit for attaching the vacuum to my orbital sander and that hose is awesome. The Ridgid hose is ironically very flexible, never kinks, very heavy duty construction. Ridgid offers that same type of hose in 1-1/4" as well, but I can't seem to find that style of hose with a 2-1/2" diameter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for prescription safety glasses? I had some Zenni ones made a long time ago but I didn't like them. They were like regular safety glasses with something like a prescription lens insert. They fogged up all the time and I just generally didn't like them. I want something where the safety lens and the corrective lens are one and the same. I do some abrasive blasting without a cabinet, so keeping stuff from coming at my eyes from the sides would be awesome.

I've had this company recommended to me before but I still haven't bought any yet.