Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

syntaxfunction posted:

Also I like my twitter. I make shitposts, I only look at shitposts or stuff from people I actually know, and if I keep seeing stuff from people I don't care about (anything not a shitpost) I gently caress that poo poo right off. So now my feed is pretty much just shitposts, and that's pretty cool. I think it's the opposite of what most people use the tweetering for tho.

How proud you must be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Anton Chigurh posted:

How proud you must be.

Why would you proud of a twitter feed you weirdo

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

syntaxfunction posted:

Why would you proud of a twitter feed you weirdo

Indeed.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
So he's not going to change any moderation or anything because a lot of the algorithms put in place are designed so that Twitter can be used worldwide if he starts letting Nazis say whatever they want then Twitter literally has to be shut down in Germany because they have laws against that kind of poo poo not to mention if he's just starts getting rid of these rules a lot of other countries will follow suit plus once it becomes a toxic environment a shitload of people are just going to ditch it so yeah if he wants to make any money from this he ain't going to be changing poo poo but we all know it's just a stupid pump and dump anyway and then once the stock for Twitter goes up he's just going to sell all the shares he bought and find a way out of the deal because that's more his style

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

So found this thread and this meme is somehow even dumber than it appears

https://twitter.com/PimToolNews/status/1519488188804628480
https://twitter.com/PimToolNews/status/1519492943346040833

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's so funny watching Rogan try to find a way to where what Sargon says is fine. "Well was he saying it to a Jewish person?". Neither can just say it was hosed up.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Considering who they interact with I have a hard time believing none of the people in that room understand that throwing people from helicopters is a specific fash meme about jerking off over Pinochet's death squads doing that.
https://twitter.com/TimPoolClips/status/1325247666226409475?t=ICjCpcVIdDQlQXnLVmL3ag&s=19

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

This is the exact kind of thing that Twitter is useful for considering I've done my level best to avoid anything related to that ecosystem and can just do a simple search.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

This thread is getting wayy to close to touching the poop and being actual twitter drama.

Musk is a twat who hasn't invented anything but Twitter has always been controlled by capital interest and will continue to be controlled by capital interest.

There's probably a bigger conversation here about how speech is being regulated by private entities but access to a popular platform isn't really the same thing as free speech.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Poohs Packin posted:

This thread is getting wayy to close to touching the poop and being actual twitter drama.

Musk is a twat who hasn't invented anything but Twitter has always been controlled by capital interest and will continue to be controlled by capital interest.

There's probably a bigger conversation here about how speech is being regulated by private entities but access to a popular platform isn't really the same thing as free speech.

great thanks

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

ELon Musk is such an annoying dumb bitch baby

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The thing with Musk is that because he's an actual 200+ billionaire he doesn't really have much of an incentive to ensure Twitter is profitable at the expense of his beliefs - real or based around pushing buttons (arguably the same thing). He would, and has, caused damage to Tesla stock at various points, on a whim.

Contrast that with someone like Tim Cook, who ultimately cares 100% about Apple's profitability and stock price. Tim Cook could say things that are controversial but when it comes to the crunch he wouldn't do anything that would risk increasing profitability.

Basically what I'm saying is that Musk, being a billionaire and a troll, is definitely someone who would torpedo Twitter in the pursuit of his beliefs, and only lose a small amount of sleep over it if that actually happened (his recent stock rewards from Tesla hitting targets is almost as much as he would be personally spending to acquire Twitter).

I would be rather pleased if Twitter got destroyed, because I view it as a cancer on society like social media generally, but at the same time there are a bunch of people, particularly disenfranchised minorities, that are validated by using it, so.. yeah.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

AARD VARKMAN posted:

great thanks

Sorry i dont have the SCATHING HOT-TAKES you find on twitter.

"TWITTER STOCK GO BRRRRRR MUSK FTW TRUMP 2024"

I'll start caring when the Moralintern starts stinging my bank account for talking poo poo about GloboTechnoChem's CEO in VR chat while I'm trying get a cyber-HJ from a AI based in the New Western Sprawl.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The thing is if twitter goes down the shitter (lol) and then disappears (lol) then people will just use something else. None of this matters. If reddit disappeared everyone would go somewhere else. Everything is replaceable.

Except these dead, dead, gay forums, of course.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

syntaxfunction posted:

gently caress me, I JUST realized this is a Heathers reference.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I love my dead gay internet

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Twitter is like an rss feed of blog posts for various Intune updates and "security" junk that I'll never be able to keep up with. I also get a small amount of interaction with the author.

Outside of that enclave, I don't understand how people can really think celebrity A, B, or C have like 100 million followers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gilded Age 2 is so, so hosed up

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Elon Musk is actually in Iron Man 2 for a second and it made me so mad when I was watching it a couple weeks ago. This was back in 2010 when people didn't know what a shitbird he was.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Musky manchild is mentioned in star trek discovery when they're listing off the greatest minds in science history or whatever and it's incredibly cringe.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

syntaxfunction posted:

The thing is if twitter goes down the shitter (lol) and then disappears (lol) then people will just use something else. None of this matters. If reddit disappeared everyone would go somewhere else. Everything is replaceable.

Didn't reddit essentially get popular when Kevin Rose hosed up and drove everyone away from Digg? Yeah it'll happen again.

And yes, SA is the cockroach of the internet. Disgusting and unwanted, but impossible to kill.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Every time I start feeling some semblance of hope for our culture I see an Elon Musk post get 1 million shares and then it's straight back to misanthropy and nihilism

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Elon Musk buying Twitter means almost nothing.

Its insane being cared about.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

Elon Musk buying Twitter means almost nothing.

Its insane being cared about.

counterpoint: it means something

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

run on sentience posted:

Musky manchild is mentioned in star trek discovery when they're listing off the greatest minds in science history or whatever and it's incredibly cringe.

If they remade TNG today then that episode where Data plays cards with Einstein, Newton, and Hawking Musk would be the cameo instead of Hawking.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Pontificating rear end posted:

But not much, its like how it works out for him $ wise.

After that there's nothing.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
$44 Billion for a site that lets you post text on the internet? He got ripped off, I can do that here and it only costs $10.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If they remade TNG today then that episode where Data plays cards with Einstein, Newton, and Hawking Musk would be the cameo instead of Hawking.

Yes but the entire scene would be musk whining because he wasn't given the best possible hand, and dominating the conversation until everyone just gave up and gave him pocket aces so he'd shut the gently caress up for 10 minutes.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

Gilded Age 2 is so, so hosed up

season 2 is out? i want more gay john adams!!

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
I like the cute animal videos on twitter

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1519035269202460672?s=20&t=CEf1O7NWGb6Fuv1fyimbcQ

edit: Stupid twitter cropping; fixed

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Pontificating rear end posted:

He didn't buy social media, or like the concept of human connectivity. He bought a company.

If (When? If?) he runs it into the ground something else will come along to fill the gap.

Conversations around this remind me of people who claim that climate change will bring the end of the world. Like, what? Probably the end of humans, but so what. In a few thousand years or maybe a billion the world will recover just fine we can't possibly change that

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
All this handwringing over Twitter. If the experience is poo poo then make it better. Mute words, block idiots and move on. Follow cool and funny people. Or just whatever interests you. It can be good. I say this from experience.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Poohs Packin posted:

Sorry i dont have the SCATHING HOT-TAKES you find on twitter.

"TWITTER STOCK GO BRRRRRR MUSK FTW TRUMP 2024"

I'll start caring when the Moralintern starts stinging my bank account for talking poo poo about GloboTechnoChem's CEO in VR chat while I'm trying get a cyber-HJ from a AI based in the New Western Sprawl.

actually this is exactly the kind of braindead snark all the reply guys who make Twitter suck churn out all day. go join your people and do not return

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
This thread is too negative, here's some positive vibes to balance it out

https://twitter.com/fmanjoo/status/1519694386367500289

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

twitter always struck me as the worst of all the big social networks for actually doing social things like having conversations or meeting new people. hashtags are complete garbage, and there's no way to organize interest / community groups.

it's probably an ok place if all your friends are already on there, or if you are a famous person or corporation who just wants to get the word out about the latest thing you did.

i had a few friends who used twitter a decade ago, but none are active anymore and i can't tell what is supposed to attract new people to twitter at this point, unless they're just looking to harass people they don't agree with all day by becoming a reply-guy. otherwise about the best you can hope for is to follow a few accounts and treat it like an RSS feed rather than a social network.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
What I want to see happen, is ol' Musky boy to fire all the human moderators from Twitter, and replace them with his OpenAI tech. He's got the engineer pipe brain to think that that's the solution to the problem he has bought. Twitter has collected incredible amounts of human interaction, pushing all that through those oh so malleable neural nets can only produce the smartest social media platform of all time.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

DaveWoo posted:

This thread is too negative, here's some positive vibes to balance it out

https://twitter.com/fmanjoo/status/1519694386367500289

Son of emerald mine owner didn't inherit his wealth or have any connections? WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013