Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It does seem like one of the most drastic turns of an edit I can remember on Survivor. Jonathan pretty quickly went from being a lovable challenge beast to making a complete rear end in a top hat out of himself in 1 episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Tori knew where the votes were going to fall, because everyone just told her to her face that it was her over Lindsey. So Jeff called the audible on the vote, which also would free up a couple minutes for the edit as there was a lot to get in that tribal.

They told her to her face because at that point Jeff was calling for the verbal vote. They wouldn't have told her under normal circumstances; why would they? And I think her perspective is warped enough that there's a good chance she wouldn't have sniffed it out unless she had the circumspection to worry that it was her after seeing Drea play an idol. But again, just because Drea was open about playing it that night doesn't mean she would have had to play it before the vote, though I admit there's really no way of knowing how Drea makes the play with a normal vote. But even if the context makes it clear that Drea is in fact playing it, there should still be a seed or two of doubt when one goes for the shot.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It does seem like one of the most drastic turns of an edit I can remember on Survivor. Jonathan pretty quickly went from being a lovable challenge beast to making a complete rear end in a top hat out of himself in 1 episode.

Yeah, this episode really colors the conversation we were having about him before.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

Seriously. This bugged me. You play your shot in the dark in the booth when you're not sure where the votes will fall. Without the alternative voting process that happened, Drea and Maryanne don't necessarily play their idols before the vote, so Tori wouldn't have had that information as a sure thing and her own vote wouldn't necessarily have been restricted to going for Lindsay. She only went for shot in the dark after she knew she was about to be voted out/the votes were "cast", which isn't how it's supposed to work at all. I'm really surprised production allowed that, it was extremely sloppy of them.

it was a vax joke

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Studio posted:

Extra bit of Jonathan drama that I got from a Survivor Reddit and don't know if it's true or not

which, lol

Technically he disabled all the comments on his instagram post because of it. You can hear more about it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyB_USNONBw&t=2850s

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I almost did a winner power rankings last week but am glad I decided to wait because I think I would have had a ton of movement.

Explanation on how I rank them: if you take a hypothetical final three from the remaining players, then I expect people in higher tiers to win against those in a lower tier. People in the same tier are a toss up but I still rank them in the order I think they would win even though it's close. These also factor in the potential/likely path they would have to take to get to the end. So using Tori as an example, I'd have put her in tier 1 or 2 last week because everyone kept talking about her as a potential threat and someone they want to get rid of, as well as her ability to create chaos, so surviving all the way to the final would have taken an incredible immunity run or some other impressive plays to boost her case.

Anyway

Tier 1
Hai
Drea
-Liked them both before this week too and I think they both only improved their cases. Drea has a ton of power in the game with her advantages even after playing the idol, Hai is who I think most people see as the leader of the majority alliance. Honestly don't think both of them are going to make it to final five.

Tier 2
Mike
Omar
-Everyone seems to love Mike, and he also still has an idol (though I wonder for how long considering Drea's KiP advantage). He's also never really been in trouble I think? Omar playing both sides is kinda risky but if he can pull it off and get to the end because everyone trusts him I think that gives him a lot of clout in final tribal.

Tier 3
Maryanne
Romeo
Jonathan
Lindsay
-I kind of debated if Lindsay should be in a 4th tier here but I could see her out talking some of the others here. Jonathan I put here not because of what happened at tribal but because he showed before tribal that he really has no mind for strategy. Legitimately wouldn't shock me if he made the finals, honestly. But it also wouldn't shock me if he gets voted out for being a challenge beast still. Maryanne I think still gets left out of too much strategy and Romeo got left outside the majority and has to depend on others (especially Omar) to survive too much.

Curious what anyone else thinks, I mainly just like to do these to see how close I was at the end of the season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I really like Hai a lot, but I worry that people are going to recognize what a threat he is to win like with Ricard last season, and they're going to vote him out sooner or later.

Which is precisely why I think we're going to see people like Maryanne, Romeo, and Lindsay make it far in this game. It seems like people are making the mistake of understanding that people like Romeo are on the bottom, but they're thinking there are bigger threats to get out, so they'll save him for another week.

You can make it to the end of this game by making big waves, or you can do so by making people forget that you're even there. Erika arguably won last season by doing the latter.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

This is the third week in a row Omar has singlehandedly refocused the tribe on a target. Mike's closest ally is closer to Omar. Jonathon for better or worse has a resume, next closest being Maryanne with an idol find and I can't remember a single success Romeo or Lindsay can credit to themselves.

Omar
Hai
Drea

Mike
Jonathan
Maryanne

Romeo
Lindsay

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Maryanne came off great last night, she my new pick for winner.

Lol at Romeo hating everyone, and Jonathan doing his best to burn bridges as soon as he got immunity.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nihonniboku posted:

I really like Hai a lot, but I worry that people are going to recognize what a threat he is to win like with Ricard last season, and they're going to vote him out sooner or later.

Which is precisely why I think we're going to see people like Maryanne, Romeo, and Lindsay make it far in this game. It seems like people are making the mistake of understanding that people like Romeo are on the bottom, but they're thinking there are bigger threats to get out, so they'll save him for another week.

You can make it to the end of this game by making big waves, or you can do so by making people forget that you're even there. Erika arguably won last season by doing the latter.

yeah, if I were doing rankings on who I think is going to actually win it would be a lot different. Though I might put Drea at the top of that list anyway.

e: also I forgot to mention this earlier but is it just me or does Hai have a nasty infection on one of his shoulders

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I cannot assume drea will win because of that episode with no ika. I'm gonna say, Omar or Maryanne.

Or Rocksroy falls through another time hole and steals the votes.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Sighence posted:

This is the third week in a row Omar has singlehandedly refocused the tribe on a target. Mike's closest ally is closer to Omar. Jonathon for better or worse has a resume, next closest being Maryanne with an idol find and I can't remember a single success Romeo or Lindsay can credit to themselves.

Omar
Hai
Drea

Mike
Jonathan
Maryanne

Romeo
Lindsay

I agree with this ranking but Lindsay could easily make the final's because she's forgettable and agreeable (without actually being a threat). Just look at the last tribal. Jonathan could have just kept his mouth shut and looked way better than he did, and he was safe. Lindsay disappeared in that conversation other than being a solid supporter. I don't think she'll win though. Omar, Drea, and Mike I think are the most dangerous. Hai is up there, but he's not aware enough of how dangerous Omar is, and has been flexing so much power he has a huge target on his back, probably second to Jonathan. (not in terms of most likely to be voted next, just in terms of long term).

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the winner race feels really open right now.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Feel very vindicated in disliking Johnathan from the jump now.

When he was talking to Lindsay who very easily pointed out his dubious plan to get rid of Drea by splitting votes onto Maryanne and she correctly pointed out this would not be keeping their original tribe strong, you could tell how mad he was to be corrected by a woman. Him telling her "I can't understand you when you're talking a mile a minute" was just another nagl. Dude sucks and I'm glad he finally showed his rear end on air.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I don’t like these episodes that are 75% tc. Show camp life and gossip going on organically rather than the question/answer format where everyone is lying and giving vague answers

Dammit probst, watch survivor Australia.

Alternatively make Jeff part of the game via :toxx:. If you swear something to probst it becomes a binding agreement and you get torch snuffed if you break it. Survivor: Ironclad. Patent pending

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

nexous posted:

I don’t like these episodes that are 75% tc. Show camp life and gossip going on organically rather than the question/answer format where everyone is lying and giving vague answers

Dammit probst, watch survivor Australia.

Alternatively make Jeff part of the game via :toxx:. If you swear something to probst it becomes a binding agreement and you get torch snuffed if you break it. Survivor: Ironclad. Patent pending

I want a celebrity survivor and Jeff as a contestant. The winner doesn’t get a million, they donate it to charity.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Celebrity Survivor with Jeff as a contestant and Boston Rob and Sandra splitting host duties and not letting anyone get away with any bullshit.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I’d watch BR hosting a challenge and giving probst some poo poo

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Dan Olson as a host thank you 😈

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

look who's cheering him on along the shapiros in jon's IG comments

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Wow, huge malpractice on that second tribal council. If Lindsey had gotten voted out because Tori knew to play a shot in the dark, Jeff would have been 100% to blame there. Very uncool.

I felt Johnathan's timer running out as he was misplaying the conversations with Mary Ann and Lindsey, and now that he's alienated at least half the remaining players he's a dead man walking. I hope he goes next week to give my boy Hai time to turn this around, because Hai's getting credit for everything a little too early for his health.

Tori's wild ride had to come to an end eventually. RIP. Very, very funny that she now has to go to ponderosa with Chanelle and Rocksroy, and listen to them talk about how great and courageous the people who just voted her out are.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Celebrity Survivor with Jeff as a contestant and Boston Rob and Sandra splitting host duties and not letting anyone get away with any bullshit.

I was going to say Gordon Ramsey (At tribal he's eating an amazing meal in front of them that he cooked, they can't have any) but yes, that's even better.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

i think once a season they just fly em both out to hide and spy on a tribal council and they go home. no interaction with the survivors, but we know they're there, watching.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

LionArcher posted:

I was going to say Gordon Ramsey (At tribal he's eating an amazing meal in front of them that he cooked, they can't have any) but yes, that's even better.

This only works if he makes surprise visits into camp and gets mad at their lovely Risotto and dumps their rice on the ground.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Jonathan showed all his rear end. It doesn't make him a racist for getting all up like that but it does reinforce what we saw with the other women that he can't get out of his own view and see someone else's. Would he have done that to dudes? I dunno. But him flipping a switch like that the second he saw an opening and felt like he didn't have to play demure anymore ain't a good look. And like yeah, him just not being able to hear Drea and Maryanne without making it about him is part of the problem and subconscious poo poo.

I don't mind the open vote or the blind chance thing. It happened. It just played out that way organically. The question I had was of course that if Jonathan's crew had gone up first would Drea have been voted out and then does Rocks have that same principled and passionate stance (without an idol) to switch the vote? I don't feel comfortable saying they shouldn't have seen Rocks because then... you know. But I dunno. Its not gonna keep me up at night. This sort of production twists you gotta deal with is a built in part of the game. But its off.

Game wise I don't think I really agree with the decision to vote off Rocks, at least for Hai. Romeo just placed a vote on you and you know he's not gonna be your friend next vote. Rocks is intractable but that's got pros and cons. Rocks is trying to do a guy's alliance. Its a fairly safe bet he's not coming after you next vote. Its a decent bet Romeo is. Why can't this go in a different order? Are you afraid you can't get the votes with the full alliance? But you're cool potentially burning those people this way? I don't really see the sense of it. At least with Drea she's a stronger player with advantages. Was Rocks really a big enough threat at this stage to rock the boat like that? Maybe he was? Maybe they knew they had to do it without Jonathan or Lindey or Drea there? But again... if you're working around them like that you're shaking a lot of your game up. I dunno.

Good on Drea. She continued to come off smart and calculated at the game. And good on her and Maryanne for not just taking their stand and being willing to burn their idols for it (although certainly Drea truly felt unsafe) but being able to handle it so well even as Jonathan personified that kind of person and response. Hopefully it doesn't hurt them. Maybe burning the idols takes a bit of the target off them. Hopefully Jonathan burned most of his social cache here losing Rocks and pissing off Lindsey in case he holds a grudge. I don't know if he's dead in the game but he's definitely wounded bad. That was a hard "win immunity and then gently caress up your game and tv image" fall.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

Game wise I don't think I really agree with the decision to vote off Rocks, at least for Hai. Romeo just placed a vote on you and you know he's not gonna be your friend next vote. Rocks is intractable but that's got pros and cons. Rocks is trying to do a guy's alliance. Its a fairly safe bet he's not coming after you next vote. Its a decent bet Romeo is. Why can't this go in a different order? Are you afraid you can't get the votes with the full alliance? But you're cool potentially burning those people this way? I don't really see the sense of it. At least with Drea she's a stronger player with advantages. Was Rocks really a big enough threat at this stage to rock the boat like that? Maybe he was? Maybe they knew they had to do it without Jonathan or Lindey or Drea there? But again... if you're working around them like that you're shaking a lot of your game up. I dunno.
yeah I agree, I didn't like it for Hai. Plus he pressured Mike into doing it when he actually preferred not to, so he spent some social capital on it too.

Meanwhile for Omer: Romeo will give him the credit for saving him, since he got it rolling, and I don't think he loses anything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I’m torn on Omer. He’s potentially burning some people too but at least Romeo isn’t a threat to him and he didn’t seem to have the same Mike problem. I’m still not sure it needed to happen now but it makes more sense for him from what we know. With Hai it felt a little more impulsive and him not liking Rocks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Johnathan getting defensive about racism and having it explained and then seeming cool at the end is a pretty good example of how something like that should go

Plenty of white people knee jerk defend like that and it's pretty natural if you haven't been exposed to big ideas about systemic issues and subconscious biases

He still seems like a jerk but they're all exhausted and he did in an earlier episode explicitly say that he was trying really hard to not gripe at the women, so it seems like at least he knows that about himself

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
When Tori got snuffed and went Nooooo

Jeff broke his usual snuffer stoicism and quietly said "yes"

And I lol'd irl

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If you’re white and still haven’t been exposed to big ideas like systemic discrimination and implicit bias that’s 100% on you at this point

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

If you’re white and still haven’t been exposed to big ideas like systemic discrimination and implicit bias that’s 100% on you at this point

I mean only sort of

In a previous job I worked with some very sheltered people, especially religious folks

If you don't even know there's a conversation being had because no one in your entire life worth of social circles are talking about it, how would you even know to seek it out?

It's not GOOD for sure, but it's understandable and human

AND it's actually part of systemic discrimination, but that's very meta for somebody like Johnathan to grasp right off, as is the distinction between racist outcomes and bigoted actors

poo poo's complicated yo
This forum is WAY more aware, connected, and probably intelligent than the average shlub

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
when you bodyguard for a republican pedo, you just seem to miss out on some perspectives

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

it must be such a trip to go back and watch the older seasons, like the one where the tribes were divided by ethnicity or the vile poo poo that happened with Hatch. or Brandon Hantz being extremely creepy. this show has come a long way

Maryanne did good this episode, Johnathan not so much....

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
To be clear, I'm not defending Johnathan. I'm just saying how representative Survivor often is of real life

There are a LOT of privileged people who have just never considered a lot of poo poo various minority groups experience

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jonathan was very upset and skeptical about what Drea and Maryanne were saying until the white lady explained the exact same thing, which kind of says it all.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jonathan cant wait to go back to standing guard at kelvin gemstones mansion

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Jonathan was very upset and skeptical about what Drea and Maryanne were saying until the white lady explained the exact same thing, which kind of says it all.

tbf jonathan was having a lot of trouble with the white lady explaining to him as well when it came to gameplay.

also a history of being annoyed non-stop by lindsay and maryanne talking

hmmm :thunk:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hey now, maryanne has a very plausible reason to be perceived as annoying that has nothing to do with anyone's attitude towards race or gender

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

yeah okay hot and cold with the water bottle is still classic.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Tori had this to say about her elimination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Jonathan's actions and how people react compared to Shan's actions and how people react is interesting.